• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

TruHero

Banned
I'm saving all of Avengers/New Avengers for reading on the beach during my honeymoon in 2 months.

I don't want to hang around here (and shit, I've been absent from comic-GAF for like 2 years because of this) for fear of spoilers.

Can someone PM me the reading order for Avengers/New Avengers front-to-back?

I found a decent one but it doesn't include any annuals - which I assume should be read at some point.

Thanks... I'll be back, comicGAF.

Soon.

Just buy the omnibus for both.

theres too much variance in the worlds listed for them all to be merged as one. where would the 1602 world fit? how about the zombies world? the SD marville world? there will always be a multiverse. people like what if stories.

We'll see how Secret Wars address those other universes (which are supposed to appear in Battle World)

But it's pretty clear that Marvel Universe and Ultimate Universe as we know them are gone ("getting destroyed" as they described in the press), and what's coming out is something completely different.

And they keep emphasizing that big parts of history are going away. That's how different universes merge into one. They discard things. And then what happens afterwards (whether new alternate realities appear) is anyone's guess.

But those who are denying that this is a reboot are just in denial TBH

theres too much variance in the worlds listed for them all to be merged as one. where would the 1602 world fit? how about the zombies world? the SD marville world? there will always be a multiverse. people like what if stories.

Zombies is in Battleworld and there are two worlds which could be 1602. Battleworld are pieces of multiverses thrown together.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
We'll see how Secret Wars address those other universes (which are supposed to appear in Battle World)

But it's pretty clear that Marvel Universe and Ultimate Universe as we know them are gone ("getting destroyed" as they described in the press), and what's coming out is something completely different. It's quite possible that new universes spin out of that one.

i dont see why though. what is there to gain by rebooting the worlds into one. new spider man? the remaining x-men? douchebag characters?

Zombies is in Battleworld and there are two worlds which could be 1602. Battleworld are pieces of multiverses thrown together.

im aware of that, but if theres only one universe at the end, theres no place for worlds like that

Slayven

they don't ahve to worry about 1602 Spiderman finding a spot, AMIRITE?

i dont see why though. what is there to gain by rebooting the worlds into one. new spider man? the remaining x-men? douchebag characters?

Why not? It's the same rationale as any other reboot. They have the opportunity to be free from continuity and reshape the characters and settings.

There have also been better versions of characters in some of the alternate universes than in the main Marvel Universe too. This is the opportunity to take the best from the past and put them all together in the same universe going forward.

One of the Battle Worlds is "King James's England", which sounds like it could be 1602.

i gotta buy digital for now, i can't fly halfway across the world with giant omnibusses

New Avengers 13-17
Avengers 24-29
New Avengers 18-23
Avengers 30-36
New Avengers 24-26
Avengers 37-38
New Avengers 27
Avengers 39
New Avengers 28
Avengers 40

That should the reading order for Post Infinity. Infinity, yeah has the chart and before that didn't tie in with each other much.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
New Avengers 13-17
Avengers 24-29
New Avengers 18-23
Avengers 30-36
New Avengers 24-26
Avengers 37-38
New Avengers 27
Avengers 39
New Avengers 28
Avengers 40

That should the reading order for Post Infinity. Infinity, yeah has the chart and before that didn't tie in with each other much.

thanks, i have the Infinity GN already, so thats in order. when would i read avengers annual 1 ? new avengers annual 1?

duckroll

But it's not a reboot. It's just a passing phase like every other major Marvel event. Things "change the nature of the universe" in Marvel all the time. How is this any different? Sure, it could be a way to do away with the Ultimate universe because of poor sales and because most of the series there have run their course. But there's nothing being "rebooted" essentially. They're not going to restart books with a blank slate or redo origin stories again. They're just shaking stuff up to keep fans "excited" because that's how they've been doing the business for half a century now.

Was the original Secret Wars a reboot? Was House of M a reboot? Was One More Day a reboot? If you consider any of those a reboot, then sure, you might consider this a reboot too. But that's not how most people see it because the events that happened before still happened, and sometimes they are still referenced or can be brought back as story points depending on the writers. That's how Marvel rolls.

Every decade or so they'll start up a series of events, spanning many years, and then at some point they wipe the overall slate clean undoing a lot of the developments so writers don't have to be pigeon holed in certain story directions. For individual series, usually when a writer of particularly unique runs end their commitment, they have a chance to tie up their loose ends and retcon messy developments or kill off characters they created to return things to a status quo before another writer takes over.

The reason why people are saying this is not a reboot is because by the measure of what a full reboot usually means for entertainment, Marvel will never do it. There's no benefit to it. Whatever happens after Battleworld will be the result of the events of this Secret Wars, but everything that happened before it will still have happened.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
all I want from this is for Marvel not to try to extreme their heroes like DC did.... and maybe add in a few characters from Malibu comics now and then

But it's not a reboot. It's just a passing phase like every other major Marvel event. Things "change the nature of the universe" in Marvel all the time. How is this any different? Sure, it could be a way to do away with the Ultimate universe because of poor sales and because most of the series there have run their course. But there's nothing being "rebooted" essentially. They're not going to restart books with a blank slate or redo origin stories again. They're just shaking stuff up to keep fans "excited" because that's how they've been doing the business for half a century now.

Was the original Secret Wars a reboot? Was House of M a reboot? Was One More Day a reboot? If you consider any of those a reboot, then sure, you might consider this a reboot too. But that's not how most people see it because the events that happened before still happened, and sometimes they are still referenced or can be brought back as story points depending on the writers. That's how Marvel rolls.

Every decade or so they'll start up a series of events, spanning many years, and then at some point they wipe the overall slate clean undoing a lot of the developments so writers don't have to be pigeon holed in certain story directions. For individual series, usually when a writer of particularly unique runs end their commitment, they have a chance to tie up their loose ends and retcon messy developments or kill off characters they created to return things to a status quo before another writer takes over.

The reason why people are saying this is not a reboot is because by the measure of what a full reboot usually means for entertainment, Marvel will never do it. There's no benefit to it. Whatever happens after Battleworld will be the result of the events of this Secret Wars, but everything that happened before it will still have happened.

Oh please.

After Secret Wars #1 Marvel Universe is going to be destroyed. Ultimate Universe is going to be destroyed. What's coming out of Secret Wars is something that's going to take bits and pieces of both and other multi-verses and cobble them together. This is all reemphasized again and again in the press conference.

It's a reboot. They aren't even trying to deny it:

"Read and find out," Alonso said of the possibility of a reboot. "Like I said, we are taking some chances here, but I will stand by -- I think Tom will back me -- our history's not broken. We don't view our history as being broken or something that we need to fix. If anything we think we are building upon that history and we are taking the best and biggest pieces of it and seeing how easily they coexist with one another. We don't expect all our moves to make everyone happy, but we think it will make for a really fascinating read through 'Secret Wars' and beyond."

Oh please.

After Secret Wars #1 Marvel Universe is going to be destroyed. Ultimate Universe is going to be destroyed. What's coming out of Secret Wars is something that's going to take bits and pieces of both and other multi-verses and cobble them together. This is all reemphasized again and again in the press conference.

A reboot is when things are erased like Flashpoint.

Battleworld isn't erasing anything but merging different aspects of other universes into the main one.

Parallax

Why not? It's the same rationale as any other reboot. They have the opportunity to be free from continuity and reshape the characters and settings.

There have also been better versions of characters in some of the alternate universes than in the main Marvel Universe too. This is the opportunity to take the best from the past and put them all together in the same universe going forward.

If youre gonna reboot the universe, you reboot the universe. Theres no need to mix and match to put together a new world. It also doenst help that theres not much from the ultimate universe to add for there to be a reboot of both worlds. And theres also the new additions to the 616 that could have just as easily waited until this event was over, like female thor, angela and captain falcon. A reboot doesnt make any sense to me

A reboot is when things are erased like Flashpoint.

Battleworld isn't erasing anything but merging different aspects of other universes into the main one.

Sigh... Getting tired of posting the same things over and over:

"The Ultimate Universe and the Marvel Universe are going to smash together," editor-in-chief Axel Alonso explained. "Imagine there's two pizzas. They're going to smash together. You're going to have all-new toppings. Some toppings are going to drop off. You're going to yell about some that are missing. You're going to love the new ones that are there. That's the new Marvel universe moving forward.

If youre gonna reboot the universe, you reboot the universe. Theres no need to mix and match to put together a new world. It also doenst help that theres not much from the ultimate universe to add for there to be a reboot of both worlds. And theres also the new additions to the 616 that could have just as easily waited until this event was over, like female thor, angela and captain falcon. A reboot doesnt make any sense to me

It's pretty obvious to me that they are trying to avoid the negative stigma of a reboot - ie, that they are trying to delete past bad storytelling and bad nonsensical history (which for example pre-Crisis DC had a ton of). So they want to keep certain parts of continuity intact so things from the past still matter... Just not everything.

Basically to keep continuity fanboys appeased while gaining all the creative freedoms that a reboot offers.

Slayven

Oh please.

If you going to reboot, why reference all this history? I mean why waste time is none of it matters?

duckroll

Oh please.

Sounds like House of M all over again!

hamchan

If this isn't a full reboot like what DC seems to do then I'm fine with that. Just keep the 616 universe mostly the same and bring over the good parts from the Ultimate universe, that's good. The whole Ultimate universe already felt ruined after Jeph Loeb shat on it in Ultimatum anyways.

Slayven

Dark Reign was a new Marvel Universe

Heroic Age was a new Marvel Universe

Marvel Now was a new Marvel Universe

They all changed the landscape of marvel and wasn''t reboots.

And again not a reboot. A reboot is destroying the old pizza and making a brand new one.
Not really. New 52 wasn't that. It references past continuity just as well. And people still call it a reboot.

If you going to reboot, why reference all this history? I mean why waste time is none of it matters?
I just explained it.

Sounds like House of M all over again!
That makes absolutely no sense. There's zero similarities between the two. House of M doesn't take two universes and fuse them together. Or drastically change/delete history and past continuity for the mainstream universe.

One More Day does, but I've argued in the past that it too was basically a reboot of Spider-Man.

darkhunger looking a little silly here.
Stay classy. And maybe try to actually work up an argument

duckroll

I think of Dark Reign as just one phase of the state of the Marvel Universe started in Civil War. What they kicked off with Civil War, they stuck with throughout Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, all the way to Siege. And Siege basically wiped the slate clean, undoing everything from Civil War until then. No more no more Registration Act, no more 50 States Initiative, no more Asgard in Oklahoma, SHIELD is back, Osborn and his Thunderbolts are out. That was some seriously contrived house cleaning too. Osborn had ZERO reason to invade Asgard, and the narrative even reinforced that, and he just... did it anyway. Lol.

That makes absolutely no sense. There's zero similarities between the two. House of M doesn't take two universes and fuse them together. Or drastically change history and past continuity for the mainstream universe.

One More Day does, but I've argued in the past that it too was basically a reboot of Spider-Man.

House of M completely altered the reality of the Marvel Universe. Everything was changed - past, present, and future. During the event itself, the individual series even had stories set in this altered reality. Of course it didn't last and everything went back to normal.

What? New 52 is a brand new universe. They had to go back and explain what happened for several characters. Hell, the only parts of DC that weren't altered much in term of characterization and story was Bats/GLC books. And even then they were changed. Hell they had to do one shots and ongoings to explain the new universe.

And again not a reboot. A reboot is destroying the old pizza and making a brand new one.

I remember when New 52 was announced people were insisting it wasn't a reboot and holding on to editorials vague statements (go back and read the threads if you don't believe me). Same thing is happening again.

Slayven

I think of Dark Reign as just one phase of the state of the Marvel Universe started in Civil War. What they kicked off with Civil War, they stuck with throughout Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, all the way to Siege. And Siege basically wiped the slate clean, undoing everything from Civil War until then. No more no more Registration Act, no more 50 States Initiative, no more Asgard in Oklahoma, SHIELD is back, Osborn and his Thunderbolts are out. That was some seriously contrived house cleaning too. Osborn had ZERO reason to invade Asgard, and the narrative even reinforced that, and he just... did it anyway. Lol.

When did Batshit crazy need a reason? He once had Sentry throw a door into the sun.

I remember when New 52 was announced people were insisting it wasn't a reboot and holding on to editorials vague statements (go back and read the threads if you don't believe me). Same thing is happening again.

Who said that? They need to be checked.

I reemphasize: There is a new ongoing Inhumans book, part of Marvel's new pet property, launching one month before Secret Wars #1. It would make no sense to launch such a book at that time if SW ends in a reboot.

There is not going to be a reboot. There is not going to be a line-wide renumbering. What we'll most likely end up with is basically 616, with some hangers-on like Miles Morales and (maybe) some limited continuity changes.

Creative Freedoms? LOL
What's so funny? Stop being cryptic

It's not "wiping the slate clean" here though. It's taking up ALL of continuity and running it through a blender.

House of M completely altered the reality of the Marvel Universe. Everything was changed - past, present, and future. During the event itself, the individual series even had stories set in this altered reality. Of course it didn't last and everything went back to normal.
House of M was a pocket dimension inside of 616. Basically characters were taking a nap during it. And the universe itself didn't survive the event.

EVERYTHING they've said in the press conference indicates that Secret Wars is irreversible.

What? New 52 is a brand new universe. They had to go back and explain what happened for several characters. Hell, the only parts of DC that weren't altered much in term of characterization and story was Bats/GLC books. And even then they were changed. Hell they had to do one shots and ongoings to explain the new universe.
Did you watch the press conference? They OUTRIGHT SAID that the old 616 Marvel Universe is DESTROYED as of the end of Secret War #1. Kaboom'd away. There's a NEW Marvel Universe that's coming out of Battleworld.

Exactly.

But the 616 universe will be destroyed though. So no matter what comes out of Secret Wars will be a completely new Universe even if its 80-90% similar to the previous Marvel Universe. This was the same argument with New 52. Yes some similar events still happened in the past and a lot of characters are the same and Batman Inc and Green Lantern were still running but as time went on it became more and more apparent that this was a very different universe even though superficially it was similar.

Parallax

What? For nu52? Everyone was aware that was a reboot. Hell they actually had endings for some characters.

What's so funny? Stop being cryptic

It's not "wiping the slate clean" here though. It's taking up ALL of continuity and running it through a blender.

Did you watch the press conference? They OUTRIGHT SAID that the old 616 Marvel Universe is DESTROYED as of the end of Secret War #1. Kaboom'd away. There's a NEW Marvel Universe that's coming out of Battleworld.

Exactly.

But that still isn't a reboot. A reboot is undoing of the past. The history is going to remain but in a new universe.

And whoever said New 52 wasn't a reboot needs to have there head checked. There is no undoing of the past here.

duckroll

I think you should wait until the Secret Wars event actually ends to be so sure about that. What Secret Wars itself is doing as an event story, and the actual state of the Marvel Universe post-Secret Wars, are two different things. In terms of wiping the slate clean, Secret Wars is the grand conclusion of the last several years of Hickman's multiverse storyline in Avengers. He's not going to be writing for Marvel for a while after this, so he's going to tie up all the stuff he's been building up over the years before he hands it all off.

But that still isn't a reboot. A reboot is undoing of the past. The history is going to remain but in a new universe.

And whoever said New 52 wasn't a reboot needs to have there head checked. There is no undoing of the past here.

We're arguing over semantics here. Past will be undone because WHOLE PARTS of continuity is GOING MISSING. New characters will appear out of nowhere and previous characters will have completely different history in the main Marvel U.

I think you should wait until the Secret Wars event actually ends to be so sure about that. What Secret Wars itself is doing as an event story, and the actual state of the Marvel Universe post-Secret Wars, are two different things. In terms of wiping the slate clean, Secret Wars is the grand conclusion of the last several years of Hickman's multiverse storyline in Avengers. He's not going to be writing for Marvel for a while after this, so he's going to tie up all the stuff he's been building up over the years before he hands it all off.

Watch the press again. To me it's clear what they are saying... Every time they mention the changes to the Marvel U they aren't just referencing Secret Wars, they are mentioning everything afterwards too.

LaNaranja

I reemphasize: There is a new ongoing Inhumans book, part of Marvel's new pet property, launching one month before Secret Wars #1. It would make no sense to launch such a book at that time if SW ends in a reboot.

There is not going to be a reboot. There is not going to be a line-wide renumbering. What we'll most likely end up with is basically 616, with some hangers-on like Miles Morales and (maybe) some limited continuity changes.

Don't forget the awesome Ant-Man and Squirrel Girl books that made their debut this month. If they were going to reboot they would have held onto these books for a few months until after Secret Wars.

Slayven

Can't compare this to Flashpoint, cause Flashpoint literally chopped some stories off at the knees. Shit was was going down in several books only to go "Flashpoint bitches". Shit we still don't if Aqualad found his mother.

You mean like killing Wolverine ?
You know better Bobby.

What? For nu52? Everyone was aware that was a reboot. Hell they actually had endings for some characters.

lmao WHAT?

http://www.newsarama.com/7920-dc-releases-new-the-new-52-info-answers-to-retailers.html

DC Comics has had a number of reboots, what makes this one different?
This is not a reboot, it's a launch. This is a historic initiative for DC Entertainment and the DC Comics characters - and a first in the company's publishing history. This next era of DC Comics characters will see 52 all-new #1 issues of its super hero titles at the same time AND same-day digital across the board. In addition to the number changes, our talented creative teams are working behind the scenes to create compelling storylines and new costume designs for many of our iconic DC Comics characters.

* Why not call it a reboot?

It's not a reboot.
A reboot is typically a restart of the story or character that jettisons away everything that happened previously.

This is a new beginning which builds off the best of the past. For the stories launching as new #1s in September, we have carefully hand-selected the most powerful and pertinent moments in these characters' lives and stories to remain in the mythology and lore. And then we've asked the best creators in the industry to modernize, update and enhance the books with new and exciting tales. The result is that we retained the good stuff, and then make it better.

DC kept playing this game all the way too launch and people kept holding on to statements from Geoff Johns about Green Lantern continuing and the fact that the Bat books status quo would remain as proof it wasn't.

and they definitely did not give any endings to their characters which was part of the reason people were pissed. It ended abruptly.

sol_bad

EVERYTHING they've said in the press conference indicates that Secret Wars is irreversible.

Did you know that in a recent Avengers issue
the Earth was destroyed by a Celestial and the next few issues took place in the future? THE OLD MARVEL UNIVERSE WAS DESTROYED!!!!!!
Please understand that even if things are massively changed during this event things can always revert back by the end of the event.
Why would they release brand new ongoings if it was a full reboot?

Slayven

lmao WHAT?

http://www.newsarama.com/7920-dc-releases-new-the-new-52-info-answers-to-retailers.html

DC kept playing this game all the way too launch and people kept holding on to statements from Geoff Johns about Green Lantern continuing and the fact that the Bat books status quo would remain as proof it wasn't.

and they definitely did not give any endings to their characters which was part of the reason people were pissed. It ended abruptly.

Anyone that had a passing knowledge of DC knew what the deal was.

Top Bottom