• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

Slayven

Be nice to see some old friends again
2889815-mutant-x.jpg

There's always a new crop of 13-15 year olds to eat up that extreme edge.

Back in my day, all we needed was Catalin Fairchild on a cover and we called it a day.

From newsarama:

"Marvel seems reluctant to use words such as “reset” or “reboot,” though Marvel Senior VP of Publishing Tom Brevoort says that “The Marvel Universe as you know it is done.” The language seems in conflict, just as Conway feel some fans may feel internally."

They're playing games with the wording.

Well, yes, as far as Secret Wars is concerned, the MU as we know it is done - because the entire premise of these eight issues and the tie-ins is that the multiverse, save for Battleworld, has ceased to exist.

Doesn't exactly mean that Marville next door to Marvel Zombies is the status quo going forward.

Well, yes, as far as Secret Wars is concerned, the MU as we know it is done - because the entire premise of these eight issues and the tie-ins is that the multiverse, save for Battleworld, has ceased to exist.

Doesn't exactly mean that Marville next door to Marvel Zombies is the status quo going forward.

But it also doesn't mean the 616 as we know it today is ever coming back.

But it also doesn't mean the 616 as we know it today is ever coming back.

Is there a chance I'm wrong? Sure, I don't work at Marvel and can't know for certain.

But they've been launching too many new ongoing books, and still have more coming in the next few months, for me to believe that the outcome will be anything that drastic.

I also just don't think that sweeping, retroactive, reality-altering continuity changes are in Marvel's DNA, but that's more a YMMV thing, of course.

Sandfox

To me it seems like a new main universe is going to come out of this, but its definitely not going to be Battleworld straight up.

To me it seems like a new main universe is going to come out of this, but its definitely not going to be Battleworld straight up.

One thing I will predict: the new multiverse will be designated or numbered differently, allowing Marvel to get rid of the 616 designation that most of the editors seem to hate.

Predictions:

-Star-Lord is no longer the son of J'Son of Spartax. There will be no Spartax after Secret Wars.
-Ultimate Nick Fury will become the only Nick Fury. The original mighty whitey version and Marcus Jr. will be erased from the continuity.
-Gwen Stacy will be back
-The Captain Marvel backstory will be condensed and streamlined to reflect the movie so the previous Captain marvels will be erased.
-Miles Morales & Spider-Gwen will be around. Spider-Man 2099 will go back to his own time and it will be left open if he still is around in the new universe.
-90s X-Men are now the main X-men team (I hope)
-Marvel Universe will be much more inline with the MCU

Is there a chance I'm wrong? Sure, I don't work at Marvel and can't know for certain.

But they've been launching too many new ongoing books, and still have more coming in the next few months, for me to believe that the outcome will be anything that drastic.

I also just don't think that sweeping, retroactive, reality-altering continuity changes are in Marvel's DNA, but that's more a YMMV thing, of course.

How many months is secret Wars running? There should be enough time for the new series to rack up enough issues to be collected in trade and if the sales are strong they can be relaunched with new #1's once the new universe gets going just like DC did with New 52 and Marvel did with Marvel Now (Captain Marvel, Daredevil and several other books stopped and relaunched with new #1's)

duckroll

Man, it's so easy to tell in every single of these threads who actually reads comics and who just reads fan blogs about comics.

Sandfox

One thing I will predict: the new multiverse will be designated or numbered differently, allowing Marvel to get rid of the 616 designation that most of the editors seem to hate.

As long as they drop the idea of the movies and shows being alternate universes they could get rid of the multiverse idea. I'm expecting Marvel to shake things up and ongoings(even new ones) will be replaced at the end of Secret Wars or retooled.

Bwahahahahahaha it all comes back to that. That pipedream folks keep pushing.

Not sure what's funny. One look at the monthly solicitations can tell you its already been happening for awhile (Black Nick Fury, Brining in Coulson and Agents of SHIELD, new Ant-Man ongoing with movie status quo, Star Lord redesigned to be like movie version, Howard the Duck back looking like movie version and tieing in with the collector, Guardians of the Galaxy becoming more like movie versions, Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch retcon, movie avengers lineup being the core Avengers group even though characters like Hulk weren't associated with the Avengers for decades, etc.) The writing has been on the wall for some time.

I mean just look at this cover:

AVENMILLINF2015001.jpg

That lineup is not a coincidence I can tell you that

mreddie

Not sure what's funny. One look at the monthly solicitations can tell you its already been happening for awhile (Black Nick Fury, Brining in Coulson and Agents of SHIELD, new Ant-Man ongoing with movie status quo, Star Lord redesigned to be like movie version, Howard the Duck back looking like movie version and tieing in with the collector, Guardians of the Galaxy becoming more like movie versions, Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch retcon, movie avengers lineup being the core Avengers group even though characters like Hulk weren't associated with the Avengers for decades, etc.) The writing has been on the wall for some time.

AVENMILLINF2015001.jpg

With Spidey because toy rights.

Slayven

AVENMILLINF2015001.jpg

Avengers being Avengers? We are through the looking glass folks.

otakukidd

Thats the thing though, they are saying it is. I dont see this as a reboot. pretty much my understanding of what they said is 616 has been destroyed except for new york .which means pretty much all the super heros are fine but are now coping with this new world and the fact earth has been destroyed. it doesnt seem to change what happened in the past like new 52 did. the thing they mentioned about things changing doesnt have to mean changes to continutiy but to the new status quo. shit im sure a crap load of people are now dead. great lakes avengers, dead(hopefully). Wakanda ,gone. If theres anything to change continuity wise I see is brand new day is being undone.

How many months is secret Wars running? There should be enough time for the new series to rack up enough issues to be collected in trade and if the sales are strong they can be relaunched with new #1's once the new universe gets going just like DC did with New 52 and Marvel did with Marvel Now (Captain Marvel, Daredevil and several other books stopped and relaunched with new #1's)

Eight issues over 4-5 months.

PsychBat!

Banned
I don't know he been nailing characters pretty good. I mean Avengers 40....,
Yeah and even before that, Carol thought she could take on a Hulk and not punched in to orbit?

Bwahahahahahaha it all comes back to that. That pipedream folks keep pushing.
Seriously. This is getting embarrassing.
Man, it's so easy to tell in every single of these threads who actually reads comics and who just reads fan blogs about comics.
Comic readers vs. tumblr comic fans.

AVENMILLINF2015001.jpg

you're aware that there are about a thousand avengers members right now, and cherry picking half a dozen of them who aren't even on the same squad (spidey=mighty, wanda and QS=uncanny, Cap=still 90 years old and not a field agent, etc) is LOLworthy, right

Slayven

Looking at that picture everyone has serious history as an Avengers. Hell Spidey has been an Avenger for the last 10 years.

Know who else are avengers? Cannonball, Beast, and Sunspot. Are they going to get reconned into not mutants?

Hulk has very little history with the avengers as far as I know. He was in the first few issues and that was it up until the Avengers movie in 2012 and right when that came out he was suddenly associated with the team again after 50 years not being an avenger.

Sandfox

Thats the thing though, they are saying it is. I dont see this as a reboot. pretty much my understanding of what they said is 616 has been destroyed except for new york .which means pretty much all the super heros are fine but are now coping with this new world and the fact earth has been destroyed. it doesnt seem to change what happened in the past like new 52 did. the thing they mentioned about things changing doesnt have to mean changes to continutiy but to the new status quo. shit im sure a crap load of people are now dead. great lakes avengers, dead(hopefully). Wakanda ,gone. If theres anything to change continuity wise I see is brand new day is being undone.

Brand New Day being undone is possible and the thing about Gwen Stacy being brought back could be Spider-Gwen related.

Looking at that picture everyone has serious history as an Avengers. Hell Spidey has been an Avenger for the last 10 years.

Know who else are avengers? Cannonball, Beast, and Sunspot. Are they going to get reconned into not mutants?

Beast should be reconned out of existence.

Slayven

Hulk has very little history with the avengers as far as I know. He was in the first few issues and that was it up until the Avengers movie in 2012 and right when that came out he was suddenly associated with the team again after 50 years not being an avenger.

There is your problem.

Okay so you trolling now.

Arguing about SW ramifications aside: holy shit, this cover. I'm embarrassed that I know exactly where Christian Thor on the far right is from, but not a bunch of the presumably less obscure ones.

holy shit, that's a new one even to ME. Please tell me where a christian thor beating heads in with a crucifix comes from? I NEED to know this

Sandfox

I get what you're saying, but right now isn't exactly the right time to bring up this argument when you consider what's going on with the movie heroes currently and how spread out some of them are from each other.

Top Bottom