• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 10 - 16 July

cvxfreak

JoshuaJSlone said:
Like the 1 million+ selling GBA Zelda and the 3 million+ selling GBA Marios?

But those were ports!!!

I'm actually a little serious about this, too. Ports count for something...

Dalthien

cvxfreak said:
But those were ports!!!

But Minish Cap wasn't a port, and I have a feeling that Phantom Hourglass will perform much better than Minish Cap.

cvxfreak said:
But those were ports!!!

Well, not Minish Cap. But yeah, the Mario platformers were ports. But neither does it make sense to say that Mario games will sell more than 3 million, when it hasn't happened for well over a decade.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
JoshuaJSlone said:
Like the 1 million+ selling GBA Zelda and the 3 million+ selling GBA Marios?

LttP and all the SMA games did sell those numbers though.
Worldwide ;).

jarrod

Banned
Tabris said:
Watch Final Fantasy 3. Some people are expecting millions. It will have a very hard struggle to even make it near 500k and if it does reach that, it definitely won't ever top 750k. And that is considered the pinnacle of potential third party sales. Tamagochi 2 will outsell FF3.
Care to stake a temp ban on it? :)

JoshuaJSlone said:
the Mario platformers were ports. But neither does it make sense to say that Mario games will sell more than 3 million, when it hasn't happened for well over a decade.

nSMB is now about 2,2mln units sold, considering this week it will have a peak due to DSL Pink release, it can reach 2,5mln milestone until middle August and considering around 50k units/week in the next months i think it can get over 3mln mark around begining of Holiday Season in Japan (middle November)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Moor-Angol said:
nSMB is now about 2,2mln units sold, considering this week it will have a peak due to DSL Pink release, it can reach 2,5mln milestone until middle August and considering around 50k units/week in the next months i think it can get over 3mln mark around begining of Holiday Season in Japan (middle November)
He's not talking about NSMB possibly not reaching 3 million, but about the fact that no Mario since Mario World 1 was able to break 3 million (Maybe Super Mario Land 2 got there, too).

LanceStern said:
And so what if Mushikings was a port? It was still sold on the more popular DS. Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon on DS sold more, not a port but still a GBA game.

They gotta get past this crappy less than 200k benchmark. It's ugly, it's small, it's good for low-budget, un-advertised, unhyped titles... but for the big guns, selling less than 300k just won't cut it.

Both Pokemons were released at the same time. Mushiking was released about a half year later after the game already sold over 500k on the GBA.

200k benchmark? Only about 10% of all titles on all consoles should aspire to hit such a number and only about half of them will (In Japan, alone). I'm not sure how many titles are released each week across all consoles/portables, but most of them will never even see the Top 25.

ethelred

parathod said:
Both Pokemons were released at the same time. Mushiking was released about a half year later after the game already sold over 500k on the GBA.

200k benchmark? Only about 10% of all titles on all consoles should aspire to hit such a number and only about half of them will (In Japan, alone). I'm not sure how many titles are released each week across all consoles/portables, but most of them will never even see the Top 25.

His argument falls apart even further when you consider that most of the major "real games" on the DS are tracking pretty close to their GBA counterparts -- some lagging slightly behind, some exceeding. Mana DS has passed Mana GBA; Slime Morimori 2 is only slightly behind Morimori 1 (~20k); Mario & Luigi's not that far behind. Etc.

LanceStern said:
But games like Children of Mana selling less than 150k EVEN WHEN LAUNCHED WITH THE OUTSTANDINGLY NEW AND PHENOMENON-INDUCING DSLITE is CRAP. So much work put in, so little return, it's still less than 300k

They gotta get past this crappy less than 200k benchmark. It's ugly, it's small, it's good for low-budget, un-advertised, unhyped titles... but for the big guns, selling less than 300k just won't cut it.

Lance: When I complained about your posts last week, it's because you seem to have a complete lack of perspective here on how these games should be performing.

It's absurd to say that sub-100k is automatically loser/failure/bomb status. It's ridiculous to say that anything below 300k is unacceptable for a budgeted, advertised game. Are you even familiar with how most games sell in Japan? I know you track the sales, but are you actually reading and comprehending the numbers?

While lambasting Children of Mana's piddly 280k sales (wtf?), you are ignoring that it's now passed the GBA's Mana game -- not to mention that it's outsold major PS2 RPGs like Wild Arms 3/4/ACF, Xenosaga 2/3, Grandia 3, BOF5, Dark Cloud 2, Disgaea 1/2, Front Mission 4/5, Digital Devil Saga 2/3, Okami, Arc the Lad 4, Suikoden 5 -- all of which have sold below 300k.

Get some freaking perspective here. Children of Mana was never going to be a million-seller.

Yoshi said:
He's not talking about NSMB possibly not reaching 3 million, but about the fact that no Mario since Mario World 1 was able to break 3 million (Maybe Super Mario Land 2 got there, too).

the reason is simple: no new Mario games on GBA, and this was one of the biggest disappointment Nintendo gave us on GBA

ps: SML1 sold over 4mln, only SMB1 did better in Japan

ethelred said:
While lambasting Children of Mana's piddly 280k sales (wtf?), you are ignoring that it's now passed the GBA's Mana game -- not to mention that it's outsold major PS2 RPGs like Wild Arms 3/4/ACF, Xenosaga 2/3, Grandia 3, BOF5, Dark Cloud 2, Disgaea 1/2, Front Mission 4/5, Digital Devil Saga 2/3, Okami, Arc the Lad 4, Suikoden 5 -- all of which have sold below 300k.

psssst: don't say him that CoM sold more than any other 2006 release for PSP ;)

jarrod

Banned
Moor-Angol said:
psssst: don't say him that CoM sold more than any other 2006 release for PSP ;)
It's actually sold almost double the top 2006 PSP release (which was also a Square Enix release). :p

Tabris

jarrod said:
It's actually sold almost double the top 2006 PSP release (which was also a Square Enix release). :p

On a userbase of 3x the amount.

The truth is the DS is on a huge success ride here but only 1 company is riding that, and that's Nintendo. I mean when your best third party entries cap at around 300k during the best possible time for your handheld, then the future doesn't look bright for them.

The PSP has potential for third parties. The DS is formula. Nintendo games then everything else. So you're fighting for the scraps Nintendo is done with.

Then also remember that Nintendo, if having a monopoly (and did with GBA and NES before that) have and would **** over third parties in royalty fee's and whatever else they could. Sony never did that.

That's why a majority of releases are going to PSP except from companies that have niche titles (unique to DS style/market) or enough sway to do that 300k COM did. Even though the DS has 3x the userbase.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
ethelred said:
While lambasting Children of Mana's piddly 280k sales (wtf?), you are ignoring that it's now passed the GBA's Mana game

GBA Mana was just a remake though !!

ethelred

Tabris said:

The truth is the DS is on a huge success ride here but only 1 company is riding that, and that's Nintendo. I mean when your best third party entries cap at around 300k during the best possible time for your handheld, then the future doesn't look bright for them.

The PSP has potential for third parties. The DS is formula. Nintendo games then everything else. So you're fighting for the scraps Nintendo is done with.

Then also remember that Nintendo, if having a monopoly (and did with GBA and NES before that) have and would **** over third parties in royalty fee's and whatever else they could. Sony never did that.

That's why a majority of releases are going to PSP except from companies that have niche titles (unique to DS style/market) or enough sway to do that 300k COM did. Even though the DS has 3x the userbase.

Hi Mono, thanks for coming back for a visit!

Kiriku said:
GBA Mana was just a remake though !!

And your point is... what? That has nothing to do with sales. Final Fantasy III is a remake, too. Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen were remakes, and they sold in the millions. Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song was a remake that did close to 500k.

Being a remake of a popular game is not a barrier to sales, it's an enhancer -- especially when the remake is so completely thorough that you're practically playing a new game (as was the case with Sword of Mana, RoSaGa, Wild ARMs ACF, etc.).

Sword of Mana was a remake; Children of Mana was a spinoff. That doesn't change the fact that COM has outsold a huge host of other big name, big budget PS2 RPGs (which you dropped from the quote you did).

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
ethelred said:
And your point is... what? That has nothing to do with sales. Final Fantasy III is a remake, too. Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen were remakes, and they sold in the millions. Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song was a remake that did close to 500k.

Being a remake of a popular game is not a barrier to sales, it's an enhancer -- especially when the remake is so completely thorough that you're practically playing a new game (as was the case with Sword of Mana, RoSaGa, Wild ARMs ACF, etc.).

Sword of Mana was a remake; Children of Mana was a spinoff. That doesn't change the fact that COM has outsold a huge host of other big name, big budget PS2 RPGs (which you dropped from the quote you did).

Hehe just messing around, I dropped the part about the PS2 RPGs because...I wanted to! I agree with you though, so don't worry. ;)

neo2046

(unofficial)

1st day sale numbers

NDS Shaberu! DS Oryouri Navi - 73000 / 35%
PS2 Battle Stadium D.O.N - 37000 / 22%
GC Battle Stadium D.O.N - 21000 / 40%
PSP Bleach 3 - 30000 / 64%
PS2 Wrestle Kingdom - 10000 / 51%

RaijinFY

neo2046 said:
(unofficial)

1st day sale numbers

Lots of bomba...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Unison said:
This is a cookbook, right?

How on earth does a Cookbook sell 73K in one day?!?! :lol

Because it's a piece of software that's being released along with a pink version of the most popular item in Japan right now.

Joe Molotov

neo2046 said:
(unofficial)

1st day sale numbers

liquify-execs-money-bin.gif

donny2112

Unison said:
This is a cookbook, right?

How on earth does a Cookbook sell 73K in one day?!?! :lol

I want the English version of it. Language training games, too.

As is typical of the non-games, the people who will buy it, for the most part, aren't really paying attention to it being available. They just browse the DS section occasionally, see a game/software that they could use, and pick it up. Therefore it should continue to sell, too. This one might actually not make it to 1 million, though. :p

As for the third-party argument, Kurosaki Ichigo has it right. They both stink with the DS stinking a little less. ;) However, the system with the most potential for third-parties is the system with the largest userbase. Whether that potential is ever realized is another matter. :p

Tabris said:
The truth is the DS is on a huge success ride here but only 1 company is riding that, and that's Nintendo.
Here is the thing. When the PSP was announced, it was like (and may have litteraly been in some cases) Sony telling everybody that since they managed to pretty much obliterate all comers during the last two console generations they were going to have a repeat performance in the handheld arena.

Everyone believed them and every Japanese company that was banking on Sony being right has been scrambling since Christmas to put together some quality products for the DS as opposed to the SNES ports and B-Team games that they were using to hedge their bets until now.

Quality 3rd party products are coming to the DS, and quality products will sell on the DS with the same hit and miss ratios that they do on every other system that is king of the hill.

I'm sure that Western publishers are stradling the picket fence on this one right now too. Nobody really knows which system will come out on top in the US and Europe at this point.

Kangu

Banned
I totally called this.

Navi DS is going to have legs and is going to join Braintraining as a perenial member of the MC charts. Plus its so damn easy it should be illegal. Just wait for DS Mexican food Navi, DS Chinese food Navi, DS American Cheezburger Navi, DS French Navi and DS Italian Navi.

In fact, I think I'm having a jarrod like vision from the future

MC chart, sometime in 2007:

1. DS Italian Food Navi
2. Adult Brain Training
3. Nintencats: Hideous shaved leper cat (you know the one) and friends
4. DS Oryouri Navi
5. Pokemon Cubic Zyrconium DS
6. DS Chinese Food Navi
7. Nintencats: Lime cat and friends
8. Brain Training for Alzheimers... Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers...Brain training for Alzheimers
9. NSMB 2 (joy)
10. DS Washing your car Navi

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
So let me get this straight. A third party DS game selling double what a third party game does on the PSP (both coincidentally from the same company) is a failure because it has 3x the userbase?

The reason this is happening is the fact that Nintendo has a more diverse audience. Some like quick puzzle games, some like traditional platformers, while others may like RPGs. What this is telling us, though, is that there are double the users on the DS who are interested in RPGs.

KINGMOKU

Tabris said:

This is borderline insane. Really.

How long has the DS been on the market? For how long did everyone including developers think that the PSP would destroy it?

Jumping the gun is one thing, what your doing is setting yourself up for disaster

disco

neo2046 said:
(unofficial)

1st day sale numbers

64% of the Bleach 3 shipment was sold in a day? Sony mustn't have had high hopes for the title, unless there would be more shipments; which i don't doubt, but not anytime soon. I guess going up against the cook book is a bad idea, LOL. Good to see it doing well, gotta love those expanding markets and non-brainers, i mean non-gamers :p.

KINGMOKU

neo2046 said:
(unofficial)

1st day sale numbers

Saw this the first time, didnt think much of it. Saw it the second time and realized it said first day numbers. Thats insane.

Is this the cooking mama game, or something else related to it?

moku said:
Saw this the first time, didnt think much of it. Saw it the second time and realized it said first day numbers. Thats insane.

Is this the cooking mama game, or something else related to it?
What gets me is that they had the confidence to manufacture 200k units of the silly cooking game.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ethelred said:
It was a joke suggestion made in the tenor of the rest of his post... but a bad joke nonetheless. No offense was meant, and I removed it.
I was joking also, just wanted to see if anyone else would jump down your throat. :lol

Barf_the_Mog

ethelred said:
You forgot Pacific Island Food Navi: Nintendogs Edition.

:lol :lol :lol

It's so true. When I was in Hawaii, I had some mystery meat that a local later told me was dog. I'm pretty sure he was joking, but just bringing that up in the first place is a little creepy.

Edit:

Oh cool CVX, I didn't know you were Filipino. Are you of mixed Euro ancestory or pure blooded?

cvxfreak

Barf_the_Mog said:
Edit:

Oh cool CVX, I didn't know you were Filipino. Are you of mixed Euro ancestory or pure blooded?

Mixed, with Spanish and some Chinese blood, and thus a Mestizo. I'm light-skinned. :p

marvelharvey said:
Mahal na mahal kita

Dude, aren't you British? :p How'd you learn that?

BTW my Tagalog is pretty bad.

Jiggy

Tabris said:

The PSP has potential for third parties.
Looks like Sony loves selling people on potential. Gamers or developers! :D

ethelred

:lol Oh well. You can never tell sometimes these days when something's going to be genuinely offensive to someone, so I figured it'd be better to be safe than sorry.

Barf_the_Mog

cvxfreak said:
Mixed, with Spanish and some Chinese blood, and thus a Mestizo. I'm light-skinned. :p

Heh. You misunderstand me. I wasn't interested in a skin color sense. It's just that there was a Filipino girl from one of my classes when I went to a private school where she had a Spanish great-grandparent on one side and an American grandparent on the other. The rest of her family were locals...she looked purely Filipino yet had even lighter, more vibrant blue eyes than me. (and I'm of Irish/Norwegian/German stock) That's why I was interested to see if you were mixed. So no...no racism on my part. :p

Top Bottom