• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 10 - 16 July

cvxfreak

Barf_the_Mog said:
Heh. You misunderstand me. I wasn't interested in a skin color sense. It's just that there was a Filipino girl from one of my classes when I went to a private school where she had a Spanish great-grandparent on one side and an American grandparent on the other. The rest of her family were locals...she looked purely Filipino yet had even lighter, more vibrant blue eyes than me. (and I'm of Irish/Norwegian/German stock) That's why I was interested to see if you were mixed. So no...no racism on my part. :p

Of course not. :) I understood your question, but there's this notion among Filipinos that lighter skin = mix of some type, and many times skin tone is viewed upon as some kind of proof. Not a perfect method, but it's kinda ingrained in the mindset of many. ;)

NintendosBooger said:
:lol

Sony practically hijacked Sega's audience of "jock gamers" (the Madden lovers, etc.), while boasting established and popular franchises like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Metal Gear to grab older gamers that Nintendo had cultivated (using those same games, coincidentally). They didn't grab a fresh, new market like Nintendo is doing with the DS.

NintendosBooger said:
People credit Nintendogs and Brain Training, two new franchies, for Nintendo's success with the DS. Those two games practically attracted a new breed of gamers or "non-gamers" as folks here would like to refer to them as. Sony used Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Madden, and Metal Gear, established franchises, to acquire a cluster of pre-existing fanbases. It wasn't a new market.

Wait, wait, wait. Why did GAF let you get away with this?

SNES and Genesis combined sold only about 80 million units worldwide. PSX sold 100 million alone, with Nintendo hanging onto 30 million of their old userbase with N64. PS2 is on track to sell 120 million. How could anyone say Sony didn't expand the market? The 32/64 bit market was double the size of the 16 bit market, and Sony was the only company to experience growth.

fresquito

People arguing anyone has expanded the market better than Sony is in denial.

However, that said, what Sony has done is to reach to the same core audience (young males, that is), and what Nintendo is doing with the DS is widening the appeal, thus widening the market.

Sony did benifit from the general maturing of the user base though. They sold more PS2s than SNES + Mega Drives, but then there were also more people that had played games growing up, and more kids getting in to it for the first time. Sony were able to sell to 20+ year olds that owned a NES, and 10 year olds wanting a games console. I doubt Nintendo and Sega could have done that.

Yea I look at it ethelred... still it's upsetting seeing such a successful system (phenomenally selling) with such successful first party titles, and the most a 3rd party game can sell is less than 300,000 (trends or not that's crap) besides Tamgotchi.

Same in the US.... very nice selling Nintendo products, but the best selling 3rd party title is a crappy LAUNCH title, and that LAUNCH title couldn't break 350,000. Horrendous

Oh well, very nice sales for the cooking game. Nintendo sure hit the nail on the head with this touch generation. They might as well make a DS game on book-reading and it'd sell a lot.

TheGreatDave said:
Sony did benifit from the general maturing of the user base though. They sold more PS2s than SNES + Mega Drives, but then there were also more people that had played games growing up, and more kids getting in to it for the first time. Sony were able to sell to 20+ year olds that owned a NES, and 10 year olds wanting a games console. I doubt Nintendo and Sega could have done that.

Sony did expand the market, it's true.

20010606h.gif

neo2046 said:
(unofficial)

1st day sale numbers

NDS Shaberu! DS Oryouri Navi - 73000 / 35%
PS2 Battle Stadium D.O.N - 37000 / 22%
GC Battle Stadium D.O.N - 21000 / 40%
PSP Bleach 3 - 30000 / 64%
PS2 Wrestle Kingdom - 10000 / 51%

impressive, Shaberu sold 100k in 2 days according to gamefront.de, this means at least 130k for the week...
and this week i feel good numbers for Mario Basket and Tamagotchi

Shaberu will destroy everything. I'll probably pick it up if ever gets a Western release. I'd like an interactive cookbook.

D.O.N.... bombed on both systems. It's not really a good game, but I was expecting the Naruto NH/GNT, One Piece and DBZ Budokai/Sparking audiences to go nuts over it.

Bleach HtS3 will probably do 80-100k like the other Bleach games. It won't have legs; no Bleach game does. Pity, because it looks awesome. Honestly, I seriously doubt you'll see many PSP games go over 200k in Japan from this point onward.

Moor-Angol said:
impressive, Shaberu sold 100k in 2 days according to gamefront.de, this means at least 130k for the week...
and this week i feel good numbers for Mario Basket and Tamagotchi

Gamefront says 100k for the first week (so for four days) according to Enterbrain.

neo2046

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Ouch at D.O.N...why did sinobi said 18ten thousand...I don't get it unless that was the total shipment combined ps2/gcn :/
those are the shipment numbers

sinobi said
- 250k copies of Shaberu! DS Oryouri shipped
and these 250k are ready/planned for 6~12 months to sell
but now the rocket start almost confirms 100k can be sold in the 1st week
- D.O.N PS2 has shipped 180k, D.O.N GC has shipped 60k
and the sales of 2 versions are PS2:GC = 1.5:1
- Bleach 3 PSP has sold better than LocoRoco

Frankfurter said:
Gamefront says 100k for the first week (so for four days) according to Enterbrain.
Enterbrain hasn't announced anything

neo2046 said:
those are the shipment numbers

- D.O.N PS2 has shipped 180k, D.O.N GC has shipped 60k
and the sales of 2 versions are PS2:GC = 1.5:1
Mmm so I got the usual shipped/sold error, damn :D

Now it makes sense that PS2 version will have huge discounts...it reminds me of Gundam One Year War.

neo2046

Frankfurter said:
Hmm, so the news at gamefront.de is wrong?
I don't know, I haven't seen any announcement from Enterbrain
it is strange to me that Enterbrain has announced the first day sales numbers of a cooking software

TheGreatDave said:

They sold more PSOnes Than SNES+MD. That trend started only 2-3 years after the 16 bit gen ended.

BTW, N64 + PSone is pretty much equal to NES + SNES + MD in sales. When you consider that a lot of NES people carried over to SNES, and then again to N64, it is obvious that Sony brought new people into the market.

I can't believe this is even up for debate.

KINGMOKU

AdmiralViscen said:
They sold more PSOnes Than SNES+MD. That trend started only 2-3 years after the 16 bit gen ended.

BTW, N64 + PSone is pretty much equal to NES + SNES + MD in sales. When you consider that a lot of NES people carried over to SNES, and then again to N64, it is obvious that Sony brought new people into the market.

I can't believe this is even up for debate.
Lets not get over-zealous here. The NES is at 60+million, and the SNES 50+million. That equals the PSone already, so your WAY off. Secondly, did Nintendo do the same with the GB thats at 120million?

EDIT-Didnt see that you said N64+PSone. Disregard. :)

AdmiralViscen said:
SNES and Genesis combined sold only about 80 million units worldwide. PSX sold 100 million alone, with Nintendo hanging onto 30 million of their old userbase with N64. PS2 is on track to sell 120 million. How could anyone say Sony didn't expand the market? The 32/64 bit market was double the size of the 16 bit market, and Sony was the only company to experience growth.

I think you need to make a distinction between east and west, because while Sony most certainly did expand the market in the west, the market has been shrinking in Japan. Meanwhile the DS comes along to pretty much single-handedly revive it. I don't see the PS3 - particularly with its high price point - doing much to change that situation.

jarrod

Banned
Tabris said:
On a userbase of 3x the amount.
GameCube Portable strikes again! ;)

Tabris said:
The truth is the DS is on a huge success ride here but only 1 company is riding that, and that's Nintendo. I mean when your best third party entries cap at around 300k during the best possible time for your handheld, then the future doesn't look bright for them.

The PSP has potential for third parties. The DS is formula. Nintendo games then everything else. So you're fighting for the scraps Nintendo is done with.
I dunno, it seems pretty clear that neither platform holds too much potential for any 3rd party publishers outside a few scattered titles (RockmanZN, Monster Hunter, Tamagotchi, Mushi King, etc). Except maybe Square Enix, who's games tend to sell well regardless.... they're about the only 3rd party publisher on level with Nintendo in that regard. And they're guaranteed to bank on DS with the titles they're finally bringing (FF3, FFCC2, DQMJ).

jarrod said:
I dunno, it seems pretty clear that neither platform holds too much potential for any 3rd party publishers outside a few scattered titles (RockmanZN, Monster Hunter, Tamagotchi, Mushi King, etc). Except maybe Square Enix, who's games tend to sell well regardless.... they're about the only 3rd party publisher on level with Nintendo in that regard. And they're guaranteed to bank on DS with the titles they're finally bringing (FF3, FFCC2, DQMJ).

Though it's true for both systems, DS should be doing a little bit better than it does selling those 3rd party titles. I mean, it is the fastest selling, most phenomenal system unleashed in Japan ever, shattering all records set =)

Maybe a few more commercials...

heavenly

What's there not to understand about the 3rd party situation on the NDS? Either they bring the goods (popular franchises w/ quality workmanship) or cater to the new non-ness genre that's hot right now. With that said, where's my PDA-esque software, 3rd Parties?

Neomoto

heavenly said:
What's there not to understand about the 3rd party situation on the NDS? Either they bring the goods (popular franchises w/ quality workmanship) or cater to the new non-ness genre that's hot right now. With that said, where's my PDA-esque software, 3rd Parties?
We've got all kind of Brain Training, Language Training and freaking cooking software. It won't be long now before we see PDA software

When Nintendo puts it on the market and sell millions. THEN 3rd party will follow

heavenly

Neomoto said:
We've got all kind of Brain Training, Language Training and freaking cooking software. It won't be long now before we see PDA software

When Nintendo puts it on the market and sell millions. THEN 3rd party will follow

Sad but true!

Then they want to blame Nintendo for lackluster software performances after coming late with the goods.

cvxfreak said:
Of course not. :) I understood your question, but there's this notion among Filipinos that lighter skin = mix of some type, and many times skin tone is viewed upon as some kind of proof. Not a perfect method, but it's kinda ingrained in the mindset of many. ;)

Going back to English Training, I am going to one of the local schools here to promote this title, even though we have a literacy rate of 85 %, the English proficiency here has dropped considerably. English is major here because of the Call Centers that drove and saved the Philippine Economy, in the first half of the new decade.

On a side note, I do hope they consider making a Filipino Training for the rest of the world :D :D :D

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
future_pinoy said:
Going back to English Training, I am going to one of the local schools here to promote this title, even though we have a literacy rate of 85 %, the English proficiency here has dropped considerably. English is major here because of the Call Centers that drove and saved the Philippine Economy, in the first half of the new decade.

On a side note, I do hope they consider making a Filipino Training for the rest of the world :D :D :D

Ironically, Filipino call centers based in the United States saved our economy after the recession we had in 2003. It's one of the largest growth sectors here.

Barf_the_Mog said:
Ironically, Filipino call centers based in the United States saved our economy after the recession we had in 2003. It's one of the largest growth sectors here.

Thats it, I'm going to make a petition to Nintendo, to make a Call Center Training Program, non-games anyone ? Like the one's they have in their training simulations, I should know because I once applied as a Call Center agent, to bad I didn't make the cut because of being a slow typist. :D

tebiro boy said:
I think you need to make a distinction between east and west, because while Sony most certainly did expand the market in the west, the market has been shrinking in Japan.

We were talking about overall worldwide growth. About whether Sony created new video game players or simply leeched off of Sega and Nintendo players. Ethnicity of those players is irrelevent.

Meanwhile the DS comes along to pretty much single-handedly revive it.

Immaterial to our discussion.

I don't see the PS3 - particularly with its high price point - doing much to change that situation.

Immaterial to this topic.

AdmiralViscen said:
We were talking about overall worldwide growth. About whether Sony created new video game players or simply leeched off of Sega and Nintendo players. Ethnicity of those players is irrelevent.

Immaterial to our discussion.

Immaterial to this topic.
You *WILL* be assimilated. Resistence is futile.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
What the hell? People are combining SNES and NES console sales to show that Sony didn't bring in new gamers?

Uuuh.... :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Oh how the tables have turned!!

And anyway.. isn't that what Nintendo are doing now? Expanding the Japanese market for non-gamers and casuals with the DS..?

loosus

Banned
It's wild. The first day of these sales threads, I always say to myself, "Damn, only 10 people replied? Guess it's not going to explode this week." And about a week later, it has exploded.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AdmiralViscen said:

Well, if we want to get technical, looking at the amount of consoles sold in each territory, the NES sold as much as the PS2 did in Japan and the U.S. Where those alleged other 40 million units came from for Sony is Europe.

Edit: Wait, I just realized you were referring to PS1 + N64, and PS2 + GC + Xbox. Nm, I guess.

jesusraz

I thought that the DS Browser is only being sold via Nintendo's online store? That will likely impact strongly on sales, surely?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
jesusraz said:
I thought that the DS Browser is only being sold via Nintendo's online store? That will likely impact strongly on sales, surely?
Amazon sells it too.

I think the ratio will be 2:1 for the lite version and could overall do 20k in it's first week.

Bo130

And Amazon Japan said it was sold out at 10:30 AM at the releasedate and is on top of the Best Seller list ATM. I think it's done fairly well :)

Juice

Kangu said:
I totally called this.

Navi DS is going to have legs and is going to join Braintraining as a perenial member of the MC charts. Plus its so damn easy it should be illegal. Just wait for DS Mexican food Navi, DS Chinese food Navi, DS American Cheezburger Navi, DS French Navi and DS Italian Navi.

I have yet to meet a Japanese who likes Mexican food. When I poke them for it, they usually made reference to a Latin-America-as-dirty-and-disease-ridden stereotype.

neo2046

unconfirmed data

7/17~7/23
NDS NEW SMB - 145,000
NDS Shaberu! DS Oryouri Navi - 126,000 / 52% [NEW]
NDS Brain Age 2 - 72,000
PS2 Battle Stadium DON - 49,000 / 31% [NEW]
NDS Brain Age - 44,000
PS2 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 13 - 44,000
PSP Bleach 3 - 35,000 [NEW]
NGC Battle Stadium DON - 35,000 [NEW]
NDS Animal Crossing WW - 35,000

NDS Kanpeki Kanji - 22,500 [NEW]
NDS Kanpeki English - 7,100 [NEW]
NDS Bomberman Land DS - 10,700 [NEW]
NDS Project Jacker - 16,900
NDS Naruto RPG 3 - 11,700
NDS Rockman ZX - 9,700

PSP Ultraman FE0 - 7,400 [NEW]
PSP Portable Island - 4,600 [NEW]
PSP Kings Field Additional 1- 3,600 [NEW]
PSP Loco Roco - 16,000
PSP Quiz Gundam - 5,000
PSP Tekken DR - 11,000

PS2 Wrestle Kingdom - 17,800 [NEW]
PS2 GPO Blue - 9900 [NEW]
PS2 Garou Battle Archives - 7,100 [NEW]
PS2 Persona 3 - 22,000
(mc)

DSL - 262,000
PSP - 35,000
PS2 - 22,000
DS - 6,300
GBASP - 2,900
Xbox360 - 1,400

Hmmm... guys? Anything that could potentially be fake?

And wow at those DSL numbers. Huge jump. Maybe the production's finally going into high gear.

Top Bottom