• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MEGADETH, AEROSMITH Added To 'Guitar Hero II'

shuri

Banned
Couldnt they have gone for some more POPULAR song from the Aerosmith Catalog like Livin' on the edge or Dream on?

Jeez.. the average tracklist continues. It's like they are getting a deal on B-grade songs from popular bands.. Like another poster said, you go oh OH SHIT AEROSMITH THIS BAND AND THIS BAND TO BE IN THE GAME and then you go "oh.. " when you read what song is gonna be used... :\

That "oh but playing popular song sucks since you heard them so many time" argument screams of damage control. Having all those b-grade songs from popular bands make the whole game look 'cheap'.

Flynn

shuri said:
Couldnt they have gone for some more POPULAR song from the Aerosmith Catalog like Livin' on the edge or Dream on?

Jeez.. the average tracklist continues. It's like they are getting a deal on B-grade songs from popular bands.. Like another poster said, you go oh OH SHIT AEROSMITH THIS BAND AND THIS BAND TO BE IN THE GAME and then you go "oh.. " when you read what song is gonna be used... :\

That "oh but playing popular song sucks since you heard them so many time" argument screams of damage control. Having all those b-grade songs from popular bands make the whole game look 'cheap'.

Living on the Edge? I'd rather eat a bullet than ever hear that shit song again.

Vlad

ElectricBlue187 said:
DICK DALE - "Misirlou" -never heard of it

It's the song played during the opening credits to Pulp Fiction, if that helps.

VAN HALEN - "You Really Got Me" -eh ok, could've picked a better VH song

Apparently they had a rough time trying to get a VH song, and the only way they got this one was because it was originally by The Kinks.

Dachande

The less metal in it, the better. Save it for the eventual Metal Hero add-on that I won't buy.

If they took RATM out, maybe it'll still be on the disc but unselectable like Trippolette and Graveyard Shift. I'll buy an Action Replay for that.

Hangar 18 - I know too much!

great choice! I just wish they'd gone with Dream Police instead of Surrender :/
and please no more emo crap like avenged sevenfold ugh.

I can't believe I'm like the only guy here who realizes how ****ING AWESOME its going to be to play LAMB OF GOD "Laid to Rest" in GH2. Seriously. Screw every other song on that list, this is the one to play. Its only one of the most badass metal songs from the new age of metal talent. "SAY WHO GIVES A ****!"

I'd still like to see the following bands in a Guitar Hero game:

Symphony X - Micheal Romeo is the best guitar player on earth. Period. Anyone who listens to this band KNOWS how their inclusion would make any guitar hero game the best game ever.

Chimaira - One of the best bands of the "new metal age". I don't mean nu-metal either, I mean NEW metal as in bands that have gotten their start in the last 6 years or so.

Ill Nino - See above

shuri said:

they don't go for a bands most popular song, they go for a song that's most fun to play while being evocative of that band's style.

Drakken

I think it's hilarious how some people are saying Red Octane/Harmonix are stupid for picking "unknown" songs. First of all, most of these songs are not unknown. Second, they don't pick songs based on popularity. They pick them based on how well they'll work in the game. Third, it's not a huge deal if you don't know the songs. I barely knew any of the songs in the first GH, but I grew to really like most of them after playing. I have total and complete faith in RO/Harmonix's decisions regarding the songlist.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Flynn said:
Living on the Edge? I'd rather eat a bullet than ever hear that shit song again.

don't pay him any attention, he didn't even know who the Allman Brothers were.

This list at the over seems very old, it missing some songs announced between these new ones and one about 2-3 weeks ago...the real confirmed list is

Nirvana
Heart Shaped Box

STP
Trippin' On a Hole in a Paper Heart

The Police
Message in a Bottle

The Pretenders
Tattooed Love Boys

Cheap Trick
Surrender

Spinal Tap
Tonight I'm Going to Rock You Tonight

Heart
Crazy On You

Allman Brothers Band
Jessica

Lynyrd Skynyrd
Freebird

Avenged Sevenfold
Beast and the Harlot

Dick Dale
Misirlou (Pulp Fiction Main Theme)

Lamb of God
Laid to Rest

Alice in Chains
Them Bones

The Rolling Stones
Can't You Hear Me Knocking

Arterial Black
Drist

John The Fisherman
Primus

Madhouse
Anthrax

Psychobilly Freakout
The Reverend Horton Heat

Shout at the Devil
Mötley Crüe

Strutter
KISS

War Pigs
Black Sabbath

Who Was in My Room Last Night?
The Butthole Surfers

You Really Got Me
Van Halen

Guns 'N Roses
Sweet Child O' Mine

YYZ
Rush

Foo Fighters
Monkey Wrench

Rage Against The Machine
Killing In The Name

Megadeth
Hangar 18

Aerosmith
Last Child

The Final Countdown by Europe and some Tool song are the only real rumored songs out there now that seem to have a chance of going in.

bumpkin

Freebird? Holy hell, that song's going to be second only to Satan in terms of evil on Expert mode... The guitar solo? Egad!

Freebird seems simple enough (although the lenght of the long could hurt fingers). Misirlou and YYZ are where the finger hurting is at :D

I think this "RATM got pulled" thing is bullshit. I think everyone's confused because it only got mentioned offhand in the one article instead of formally listed as a song in the game.

Anyway: Aerosmith in the game, sweet. That's a weird choice (if you're going for non-radio choices, I would've liked Toys in the Attic) but I haven't really been disappointed by the song choices yet.

So, c'mon, guys. 46 & Two, Crazy Train, BACK IN ****ING BLACK. Make it happen Harmonix!

koam

Polari said:
I've bolded all the songs I'm interested in.

You have horrible taste in music and you're trolling for no reason.

The Final Countdown by Europe and some Tool song are the only real rumored songs out there now that seem to have a chance of going in.

NO ****ING WAY! Final Countdown would be amazing, it's my ringtone! (Sorry I just watched 53 episodes of Arrested Development). Tool is also my favorite non-dead band. Nirvana is my favorite dead band. Guitar Hero 2 is going to rock (pun).

Edit: List is missing Monkey Wrench

Ashitaka

Eurogamer is the only site I've seen that lists Foo Fighters and RatM, and they say "RedOctane wouldn't confirm or deny either". The GH2 EGM doesn't have either listed, but it does mention that there are 40 tracks in the main game (not including indie unlockables).

To the people complaining about the track selection so far, I never would've thought that ****ing Boston would be one of my favorites from GH1 so I'm willing to give all this stuff a chance.

koam

Ashitaka said:
To the people complaining about the track selection so far, I never would've thought that ****ing Boston would be one of my favorites from GH1 so I'm willing to give all this stuff a chance.

Keep in mind, most of these people are youngsters who haven't heard of these bands. I recommend that people listen to the originals and see how great they are. For example. I didn't know what YYZ was until I heard it and it's an awesome selection (I knew the song, just not the name).

and yeah, no metal. Keep that shit out of GH.

Hooker

Don't you mean Rush's YYZ?

And the more metal the better!!

I wonder if we get this Freebird version. Marathon song ahoy :D Now just some Tool, Metallica, AC/DC, LED ZEPPELIN, more Ozzy and I'm happy

Ah hell, throw Dream Theater and Deftones in there as well :D

koam

Hooker said:
Don't you mean Rush's YYZ?

And the more metal the better!!

I wonder if we get this Freebird version. Marathon song ahoy :D Now just some Tool, Metallica, AC/DC, LED ZEPPELIN, more Ozzy and I'm happy

Ah hell, throw Dream Theater and Deftones in there as well :D

Yes, Yes I did. There's a clip of freebird on gamespot. i'd rather have metal in an expansion pack. I do agree with your choices though. Also, add in more Zombie (rob and white). And please please please add Deftones - Passenger

Vlad said:
Originally Posted by ElectricBlue187:
DICK DALE - "Misirlou" -never heard of it

it's the song played during the opening credits to Pulp Fiction, if that helps.

oh yeah! I should've known that because I learned about Dick Dale in my Popular Music History class last semester. Also I was thinking how awesome it would be to have some cali surf rock in the game, and there it was all along staring me in the face :lol

skip

shuri said:

1) last child is fun as hell to play.

2) you were the one who didn't know who the allman bros. were.

3) shut up.

Another thing I noticed was missing is eric clampton or some blues like Muddy Waters or BB King would be nice to have in there. Oh well after hearing about the Dick Dale and that RATM is going to be in I'm still mega excited about this game

Keyser Soze said:
Freebird seems simple enough (although the lenght of the long could hurt fingers). Misirlou and YYZ are where the finger hurting is at :D

Miserlou will be just shit crazy all the way through, but I agree with others that Freebird will be evil incarnate. The first half of the song wont be too horrible, but once that last half kicks in with the nonstop three guitar jam, god be with you.

Look around online and you can see some video of Freebird on expert mode. My brain was melting at the end of it. Crazy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhGrf2Vq-kI&mode=related&search=

And I agree with others, we need some Clapton or blues in here now.

Vlad said:
Apparently they had a rough time trying to get a VH song, and the only way they got this one was because it was originally by The Kinks.

and the Kinks version is vastly superior. God the Van Halen version makes my ears bleed. If it was that or no VH, I'd have preferred no VH honestly.

platypotamus said:
and the Kinks version is vastly superior. God the Van Halen version makes my ears bleed. If it was that or no VH, I'd have preferred no VH honestly.

Well it will be a cover band right? So maybe they'll sound like the Kinks lol

koam

ElectricBlue187 said:
Another thing I noticed was missing is eric clampton or some blues like Muddy Waters or BB King would be nice to have in there. Oh well after hearing about the Dick Dale and that RATM is going to be in I'm still mega excited about this game

joke post?

koam

Is the Demo out yet? Also, why is futureshop only selling the bundle and at $100 at that? There will be a stand alone version right?

why? was there something funny to you?

Your choices don't go well with Guitar Hero AT ALL.

koam said:

Not that I ElectricBlue has much of value to contribute to the conversation generally, but are you saying that you don't think Eric Clapton or the electric blues in general are compatible with Guitar Hero?

As a side note, I also don't understand your aversion to metal. Symphony of Destruction was awesome in GH1.

koam said:

The guitarist of Cream is Eric Clapton they played a little song on GH 1 called Crossroads (which I happen to be exellent at on expert) and there was a blues song called Texas flood by Stevie Ray Vaughn so yeah, i think they do. Red House by Jimi Hendrix would be an awesome GH blues song I think

Not that I ElectricBlue has much of value to contribute to the conversation generally

ouch :)

woot, I'm definately gonna get another guitar controller for co-op play (or just get the GH II bundle) I'm gonna be so poor before the end of the year...

ElectricBlue187 said:

In my slight I'm-not-actually-a-total-dick defense, I had you confused with shuri.

EDIT: Also, your link confirms to me that the issue is people flipping out over not seeing RATM in a "confirmed songs" list rather than any actual reason for believing it had been "removed."

-Rogue5-

DEAR SWEET LORD OF ALL THAT IS AWESOME... OH DEAR SWEETNESS INDEED.

I'm neutral on Aerosmith, but I'll definitely be singing Hanger 18 at the top of my lungs.

Although I much prefer Midnight Rider to Jessica, this MegaDeth news makes up for it completely... All they need is Judas Priest and this would be one hell of a sweet ode to rock/metal.

koam

charlequin said:
Not that I ElectricBlue has much of value to contribute to the conversation generally, but are you saying that you don't think Eric Clapton or the electric blues in general are compatible with Guitar Hero?

As a side note, I also don't understand your aversion to metal. Symphony of Destruction was awesome in GH1.

The game is geared more towards Rock (and Roll) with some exceptions. I wouldn't mind having them in the game, but not in the main series, i'd rather them have country, electric blue, heavy metal etc spinoffs and include them there. It's kind of weird having Eric Clapton and Megadeath in the same compilation.

koam said:
The game is geared more towards Rock (and Roll) with some exceptions. I wouldn't mind having them in the game, but not in the main series, i'd rather them have country, electric blue, heavy metal etc spinoffs and include them there. It's kind of weird having Eric Clapton and Megadeath in the same compilation.
I don't see what's going with some awesome variety. It worked great in the first one. And it's Megadeth. :)

Flynn said:
Rage Against the Machine has NEVER been on a confirmed list of Guitar Hero 2 tracks.

Define "confirmed list of Guitar Hero 2 tracks." Is there or is there not a story from a US magazine involving someone playing Killing in the Name Of during a visit to Harmonix?

koam said:

But it would be so boring to only have one kind of music in the main game. :-( I'm sure there'll be a "GH Classic Rock" or something that will be restricted solely to Aerosmith, Skynyrd, etc.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Flynn said:
Rage Against the Machine has NEVER been on a confirmed list of Guitar Hero 2 tracks.

What songs have Harmonix confirmed directly? It's all coming from journalists isn't it? The QA tester playing Killing in the Name Of on Expert with his back turned to the TV is from a story in OPM.

Flynn

levious said:
What songs have Harmonix confirmed directly? It's all coming from journalists isn't it? The QA tester playing Killing in the Name Of on Expert with his back turned to the TV is from a story in OPM.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that OPM story.

I'm going by:

The intial Harmonix E3 list
The screenshots that revealed "Sweet Child of Mine."
The EGM October 2006 discography

Flynn said:
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that OPM story.

I'm going by:

The intial Harmonix E3 list
The screenshots that revealed "Sweet Child of Mine."
The EGM October 2006 discography

Yeah. I think the entire problem is that the EGM discography was compiled by someone who was also unaware of that story, leading people to believe it had been cut.

Top Bottom