• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 full setlist revealed

CloudWolf

On top of that, much of Guitar Hero Live's soundtrack is DLC that you can't actually download to your hard drive, so when Activision inevitably shuts down GHTV, all those songs you purchased are going down with it.

Yeah, GH Live's tracklist is really confusing to me, since I have no idea what part of the confirmed songs are on-disc, what part is in GH TV or even if the GH TV songs are available indefinitely or playable for a limited time and then replaced with new ones.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm ashamed to admit it, but I only know 5 of these songs. I do know several of the other bands though, but I never listened to them or those particular songs.

"The seeker" by The Who is a great song, and one that will probably be fun to play. Fleetwood Mac's "You make loving fun" is nice too, though I wish they had gone with some older stuff, like "Child of mine" or "Miles away". As for Foo Fighters, while I still like the song, to me it's the weakest from the new album; "What did I do? / God as my witness" or "In the clear" would have been better choices in my opinion.

It's funny when I think about it. I discovered Fleetwood Mac a few years ago thanks to Rock Band 2. And here I am now, debating a song of theirs that was chosen for RB4.

lol at people complaining about not having bands/songs already available on the Rock Band store. Harmonix is making this game largely to promote buying downloadable songs on new platforms, that's where they're going to make their money. I was personally hoping for more new content from bands not already featured via DLC, but I guess that was a high expectation. I'm all about more 80s/90s indie rock (RB introduced me first to bands like Lush, The Replacements, and Sonic Youth) and I would love to see more stuff from bands like Pavement, Built to Spill, and many others just for the hope people would discover more of this great music. Oh well.

also we better get a The Cure track pack this time.

JD_Lars

Glad to see Lightning Bolt on here. Genie Power isn't my favorite track off the new album (Horsepower is) but enjoy watching drummers lose their minds trying to copy Chippendale on expert drums mode :D

As someone that didn't go in for the rock band IP as much as Activision's and hence didn't get any dlc that setlist makes me feel just fine about skipping out on this one. 250 for the bundle, wtf were they thinking. Not gonna pay almost as much as a system for one game.

lol, Lightning Bolt

that oughta be fun to break out at parties
like anybody actually plays rock band at parties anymore

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So much of it is terrible. At least Guitar Hero is mostly rock and metal. Really? R.E.M? OK.

R.E.M. provides one of the few good songs on the entire setlist. Their music translates to the game well when it comes to instruments and they've also sold over 85 million records so it's clear they're popular.

Lightning Bolt is the coolest inclusion here, I think. I'm surprised at how little, like, newer guitar rock there is here given how many good new guitar rock bands are putting stuff out right now. Metz? Fidlar (they'd have a hard time picking a song without overt drug references, I guess)? Blood Red Shoes? DFA1979 (actually a bass lead but that hasn't stopped them before)? Royal Blood? Screaming Females? War on Drugs? Any Ty Seagall project, really?

I mean that's a pretty garage rock heavy list off the top of my head, but that's more the kind of music I expect from Rock Band, with some classic hits mixed in. It feels... kind of obvious. I wonder if this is a licensing thing or a current-taste-of-Harmonix thing.

Lightning Bolt is the coolest inclusion here, I think. I'm surprised at how little, like, newer guitar rock there is here given how many good new guitar rock bands are putting stuff out right now. Metz? Fidlar (they'd have a hard time picking a song without overt drug references, I guess)? Blood Red Shoes? DFA1979 (actually a bass lead but that hasn't stopped them before)? Royal Blood? Screaming Females? War on Drugs? Any Ty Seagall project, really?

I mean that's a pretty garage rock heavy list off the top of my head, but that's more the kind of music I expect from Rock Band, with some classic hits mixed in. It feels... kind of obvious. I wonder if this is a licensing thing or a current-taste-of-Harmonix thing.

DFA1979's Trainwreck 1979 is already announced as DLC (free if you preorder a bundle from Amazon). I'm pumped.

War on Drugs is in Guitar Hero, but not Rock Band. And that makes me sad.

Cheech

Gary Clark Jr.! Yes!

I'm telling you guys, a lot of you are going to discover at least one new favorite artist of this group if you give the game a chance. Really solid setlist, even if it's not jam packed with stuff you've played/listened to a thousand times before.

DFA1979's Trainwreck 1979 is already announced as DLC (free if you preorder a bundle from Amazon). I'm pumped.

War on Drugs is in Guitar Hero, but not Rock Band. And that makes me sad.

I mean, these aren't even my favorite bands - they just seem like forehead-slapping obvious choices for a crowd pleasing rawk game. I'm just surprised that kind of thing isn't more prevalent on here.

I mean, these aren't even my favorite bands - they just seem like forehead-slapping obvious choices for a crowd pleasing rawk game. I'm just surprised that kind of thing isn't more prevalent on here.

It's surprising to me as well seeing how RB1-3 all had bands like this. Oh well, I'm still buying the game.

Arttemis

some fun songs, still I have to wait until I get an xbox one. Not rebuying $300+ of DLC on PSN.

This is my situation, though only $200. I really hope RB3 export and pro keys support come down the line... otherwise, I might not even bother. 90% of my RB DLC was purchased to get more pro keys songs.

impact

Banned
Cool, so this means we get six songs that are vocalist-centered, right?

"vocalist centered" just means you like the song

meanwhile guitarists will be falling asleep in the "devil" tier because this list is generic shit. I mean they couldn't even pick a Dream Theater song right ffs

Tracks announced today to be included on the Rock Band 4 disc are:
Brad Paisley ft. Keith Urban – “Start A Band”
Brandi Carlile – “Mainstream Kid”
Dark Wheels – “V-Bomb”
Gary Clark Jr. – “Ain’t Messin ‘Round”
Gin Blossoms – “Follow You Down”
Grouplove – “Tongue Tied”
Imagine Dragons – “I Bet My Life”
Jeff Allen ft. Noelle Leblanc & Naoko Takamoto – “Recession”
Johnny Blazes and the Pretty Boys – “Cold Clear Light”
Lynyrd Skynyrd – “That Smell”
Mumford & Sons – “The Wolf”
R.E.M. – “The One I Love”
The Warning – “Free Falling”

Glad 'The Wolf' got added- dig the song yet hate Mumford

I mean they couldn't even pick a Dream Theater song right ffs

"Metropolis Pt.1" is a DT song these games have needed for a long time in my opinion. Complex sounding solos for everything, and the whole thing is varied as fuck throughout, it's an outstanding sounding song. Personally think it's better than a rhythm game getting "Pull Me Under" again.

As for the setlist, I actually think overall it's a bit stronger than RB3's, 40/63 songs in that list that I enjoy, which fairs a bit stronger than RB3's 50/83 for me. That game may have bigger name songs, but I think RB4's list is better spread out. Good stuff!

Carcetti

How does the backward compatibility work? I got every existing Rock Band game on disc but almost no downloaded song stuff, so is it only DLC that's usable in 4? I don't have room to plug in the old consoles anywhere anymore.

How does the backward compatibility work? I got every existing Rock Band game on disc but almost no downloaded song stuff, so is it only DLC that's usable in 4? I don't have room to plug in the old consoles anywhere anymore.

Did you export each games soundtrack into the next game? If so, you're automatically sorted when you buy and play RB4 for the first time. They'll unlock to play in RB4. Same with all bought and downloaded DLC when HMX update the DLC with new features along the way.

Carcetti

Did you export each games soundtrack into the next game? If so, you're automatically sorted when you buy and play RB4 for the first time. They'll unlock to play in RB4.

I have no memory of doing it or not doing it. So that's a probably 'no'. I got some of these on the cheap after my urge to play had died out too so at least some are 100% sure not exported.

I have no memory of doing it or not doing it. So that's a probably 'no'. I got some of these on the cheap after my urge to play had died out too so at least some are 100% sure not exported.

Boot up RB3 and check, if you sort by date acquired, the on-disk songs of each game will be sorted under their respective games in the song select menu. If you haven't it may be worth checking in the RB4 announcement thread if the exports are still available, I know Lego Rock Band can't be exported anymore, not sure about 1 and 2.

Gleethor

Easily the worst on disc setlist for main entires.

-25% fewer songs than RB2 and 3

-Over half the setlist is the 2010's, a decade thats barely halfway over. Far more imbalanced than previous games

-obvious padding with HMX bands. Its fine if you have the usual 80 song setlist, but its a lot less welcome when you're barely making it past 60.

-Some great artists in here with weird song choices. I'm looking at Judas Priest, Ozzy, The Who, Heart, and Aerosmith. Then there are good bands that they went with the most popular song but not necessarily their best. Quality here is more subjective but I would've chosen different tracks for Fall Out Boy, The Killers, Mumford & Sons, Foo Fighters, Arctice Monkeys.

-HMX seems pretty aware that most fans will buy this for the ability to play their current libraries on current gen alone, so the setlist is largely irrelevant to this group. I'm still buying the game, after all. Still, a really great setlist could really help convince those on the fence or those who have to start from scratch because they switched console families this gen.

Pro

"Metropolis Pt.1" is a DT song these games have needed for a long time in my opinion. Complex sounding solos for everything, and the whole thing is varied as fuck throughout, it's an outstanding sounding song. Personally think it's better than a rhythm game getting "Pull Me Under" again.

It's definitely going to be a tough one. I recall a previous game had Panic Attack. But Metropolis Pt. 1 is definitely more varied. Panic Attack was fast as fuck though. Pretty much any DT song is going to be at the harder level.

Easily the worst on disc setlist for main entires.

-25% fewer songs than RB2 and 3

-Over half the setlist is the 2010's, a decade thats barely halfway over. Far more imbalanced than previous games

-obvious padding with HMX bands. Its fine if you have the usual 80 song setlist, but its a lot less welcome when you're barely making it past 60.

-Some great artists in here with weird song choices. I'm looking at Judas Priest, Ozzy, The Who, Heart, and Aerosmith. Then there are good bands that they went with the most popular song but not necessarily their best. Quality here is more subjective but I would've chosen different tracks for Fall Out Boy, The Killers, Mumford & Sons, Foo Fighters, Arctice Monkeys.

-HMX seems pretty aware that most fans will buy this for the ability to play their current libraries on current gen alone, so the setlist is largely irrelevant to this group. I'm still buying the game, after all. Still, a really great setlist could really help convince those on the fence or those who have to start from scratch because they switched console families this gen.

Well, the reaction here seems to be unanimously negative, but that's just GAF. I'm pretty sure people will complain no matter what they put on disc, simply because music is so subjective and widespread, and everyone wants more than 5 songs from their preferred genre (if this was all prog, punk, and metal, it would be the best soundtrack ever, so long as it included all of my fav niche bands, otherwise it's shit). For example, do you actually know all of these songs? because there were quite a few in the previous Rock Band's that I didn't know, that turned out to be great (I'm not trying to single you out by the way, just commenting).

Having said that, as you mention, there are a lot of popular songs on there. As far as getting more people to play the game, choosing popularity over niche but subjectively greats songs is probably a smart move if you want to sell more copies of your game.

Firemind

It's definitely going to be a tough one. I recall a previous game had Panic Attack. But Metropolis Pt. 1 is definitely more varied. Panic Attack was fast as fuck though. Pretty much any DT song is going to be at the harder level.
Ooooh which one has Panic Attack?

Wow the Lightning Bolt? that's a band I never thought would be in Rock Band mainly because they consist of just a bassist and drummer haha.

suplex

The setlist overall isn't the best, but including That Smell is awesome.

Also I decided to check out the Guitar Hero Live setlist and basically every good song is already available on Rock Band.

impact

Banned

As for the setlist, I actually think overall it's a bit stronger than RB3's, 40/63 songs in that list that I enjoy, which fairs a bit stronger than RB3's 50/83 for me. That game may have bigger name songs, but I think RB4's list is better spread out. Good stuff!

So pretty much nearly every DT song before Portnoy left.

No one asked for Pull Me Under even once, the song is boring as hell in GH whatever it was in. Metropolis Pt. 1 just seems like no one ever asked for it and it's in. I would have taken anything from Train of Thought (preferably this since LaBrie's terrible vocals aren't ruining the song) instead tbh. Meh, with how shit this and GH look I probably won't even get either of them, but I was kinda itching to play plastic guitar again for some reason. Although with how bad HMX has been with on disc setlists since after GH I don't know what I expected....

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
There was a time when I would see a Rock Band setlist and be excited for 75% of the songs. I see this and realize the world has run out of fun music.

To be fair, Rock band spanning several titles and over 1500 official dlc songs released, we are kinda spoiled with a whole bunch of great songs already released. And more in the pipeline.

I guess I'm kind of biased in this aspect (lots of dlc), if you're just jumping in now and the setlist looks kind of foreign, then it's a little bit of a harder sell. But like previous iterations, I didn't know a majority of the songs, but that never stopped me from enjoying them hours on end on all instruments.

As far as picking up games to import songs to the PS4 rock band 4, I saw a list posted already, but can you import the "track pack" discs into it, like AC/DC, Country, Metal, Track Pack volumes, etc.? I'm looking to see how many tracks I can get for cheap by picking up discs from gamestop and pulling them into RB2, and then subsequently into 4.

On topic, there are a lot of tracks on here that I'm really jazzed to play (specifically Superunknown), although there are more than a few that I don't know.

The setlist overall isn't the best, but including That Smell is awesome.

Also I decided to check out the Guitar Hero Live setlist and basically every good song is already available on Rock Band.

Looking over the GHL setlist, I'd love for Dum Dum Girls, War on Drugs, alt-J, Broken Bells, MGMT, TV on the Radio and Surfer Blood to be included in the RB4 setlist.

As far as picking up games to import songs to the PS4 rock band 4, I saw a list posted already, but can you import the "track pack" discs into it, like AC/DC, Country, Metal, Track Pack volumes, etc.? I'm looking to see how many tracks I can get for cheap by picking up discs from gamestop and pulling them into RB2, and then subsequently into 4.

Almost certainly. Most of the songs in the track packs are DLC anyway.

Fair warning, though, you can only export from track packs if they come with an unused export code.

Not going to lie. Was hoping for a stronger lean in this direction along with some more modern indie rock. Oh well. Maybe DLC?

MajorMane

Been listening to the newly announced songs and finding some gems that I hadn't heard before. In my opinion, Harmonix hasn't had one "bad" setlist in their main games. There's a lot of good music here in this setlist that people just don't recognize and so they write off the setlist because of it. Give the songs a listen and you might find you enjoy them. ("Albert" is one of my favorite songs recently.)

And as a side note, as always, if there's a song that Rock Band doesn't have (be sure to check out the legacy songs first), send them a request. They take the requests seriously and do their best to get the most-requested songs in there.
MUSE WHERE ARE YOU

Neoxon

Been listening to the newly announced songs and finding some gems that I hadn't heard before. In my opinion, Harmonix hasn't had one "bad" setlist in their main games. There's a lot of good music here in this setlist that people just don't recognize and so they write off the setlist because of it. Give the songs a listen and you might find you enjoy them. ("Albert" is one of my favorite songs recently.)

And as a side note, as always, if there's a song that Rock Band doesn't have (be sure to check out the legacy songs first), send them a request. They take the requests seriously and do their best to get the most-requested songs in there.
MUSE WHERE ARE YOU
My thoughts exactly. I was put off by the number of songs that I didn't know, but then I listened to all of them.

Wow my musical tastes have changed a lot since the original Rock Band!

Only two bands I'm interested in on that list, Dream Theater and Van Halen.

To be honest I'm actually shocked Dream Theater is on here. How about some more music that they inspired?

Ahh I remember when somebody modded guitar hero and played Kamelot. Doubt that would be a feature now, as it would cannibalize dlc sales.

Top Bottom