• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's FY13 Q3 Results + Earnings Conference Call at 2:30 PM PT

PhatSaqs

Banned
But GAF said me to jump off MS wagon 'cause they were doomed :(
logo.png

The tag line says it all.

Joe

People actually thought Sony and Microsoft were in the same financial boat. I even read suggestions that Sony were on the "up" and Microsoft was on the "down".

Banned
yet GAF told me that MS was doomed and Sony was going to take them down...

I would say the people saying that must hate MS and are wanting it to happen so bad that they actually believe it is true. Fact is, MS is not going anywhere any time soon. They are very strong right now and will be for a long time.

SpaceHobo

Banned
I wonder how many pages this thread would be on if the results were bad news for MS.

30 pager easily.

I can't believe the numbers , all I ever read online is that MS don't understand their markets etc.

Tell me how this can be GAF....possible secret sauce ? Wizard Jiz ?

Izick

When people don't like a company's practices they start looking for negatives in their business model. Maybe that leads to them trying to tell themselves that the company is on the downside of things...either way it doesn't really matter, because, these numbers are clear.

Garjon

Talking a fair bit about Cloud services and subscriptions.

EDIT: What the fuck at the circlejerk in this thread.

big youth

I've never heard anyone say Microsoft is doomed. it's obvious the exact opposite is true, and they are in a very different position than Sony and Nintendo.

Guys ignore gaf, hes not real; its a hallucination and don't hang out with Smokeydave next time!

I wonder how many pages this thread would be on if the results were bad news for MS.

Its not the best time for a conversation when the FBI are putting Boston pictures up honestly.
Anyway not enough graphs :(

Good sign for MS anyway. Windows 8 might have been a big strategic failure but its not dragging anything down. I did ponder in the (IDC?) other thread about not including 'hybrid' devices (e.g. Windows 8 Laptops) was massively skewing figures.

Whats going on with EDD? Is that the mobile side helping things? I suppose they've kept the 360 up and lowered marketing plus Halo this year.

I did not expect this. I haven't read a single positive thing about Windows 8 or Phone 8. NPD data from the last couple of months also showed that 360 is in a YoY decline. Where did all this money come from?

Still, I'm one of the people who thought Microsoft would perish and I still think that.

Ugh, none of the analysts asked about Xbox.

Its really not a major side of the business; plus what do analysts care about generations?
To them the Xbox is a solid sailing ship.

BS, tonnes were in another thread this past week. They literally said MS's one core market is stagnating and Sony will overtake them at some point.

Sony still might. They might also break their back and die. Cut the wanking people, it makes you pull embarrassing faces.
MS has big challenges though, which they've struggled to meet; one quarter is not going to change that.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
And the call is practically over. Just one single quote about next-generation. The exact statement:

Clearly, there's a lot of momentum. And with E3 only a couple of months away we look forward to sharing more shortly.
I wonder if the event rumored for May 21 is still on schedule, or if they simply will wait until E3. The statement can be interpreted in two ways:

- that they will share more information soon (before E3)
- E3 is so close it's basically soon, therefore more info at E3

If they only could provide some actual information.

Valkyria

Banned
BS, tonnes were in another thread this past week. They literally said MS's one core market is stagnating and Sony will overtake them at some point.

Videogames or whole company? Quite different taking into account that MS owns Windows for example. I just don't get how people cheer people they will never meet are getting richer, just for console wars BS.

Miles X

Videogames or whole company? Quite different taking into account that MS owns Windows for example. I just don't get how people cheer people they will never meet are getting richer, just for console wars BS.

The whole company, they were talking about Windows and such.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Rösti;54471690 said:
And the call is practically over. Just one single quote about next-generation. I quote Tagg9 here (I'll provide the exact quote in a few moments):

I wonder if the event rumored for May 21 is still on schedule, or if they simply will wait until E3. The statement can be interpreted in two ways:

- that they will share more information soon (before E3)
- E3 is so close it's basically soon, therefore more info at E3

If they only could provide some actual information.

E3 is the next event in the near future Xbox is confirmed to be at. Saying 'See you on May 21st!' would be weird.

big youth

I did not expect this. I haven't read a single positive thing about Windows 8 or Phone 8. NPD data from the last couple of months also showed that 360 is in a YoY decline. Where did all this money come from?

Still, I'm one of the people who thought Microsoft would perish and I still think that.

....do you have any idea how cash rich and entrenched Microsoft is? If anyone is going to get forced out of the game market it's Sony, at the hands of Microsoft.

harSon

Banned
Its really not a major side of the business; plus what do analysts care about generations?
To them the Xbox is a solid sailing ship.

Sony still might. They might also break their back and die. Cut the wanking people, it makes you pull embarrassing faces.
MS has big challenges though, which they've struggled to meet; one quarter is not going to change that.

Not really. Their business is pretty much fool proof at this point and ridiculously stable going forward. Between bundling their OS with 95% of the computer hardware out there and there not being a legitimate contender for their Office suite, they're pretty much guaranteed to rake in billions every quarter without even trying. The Xbox brand continues to grow, and unless they do something monumentally stupid, that's unlikely to change going forward. Their only missteps are Windows Phone 7/8 and Surface, and their OS and Office situation is so lucrative at this point, that it honestly doesn't really matter.

E3 is the next event in the near future Xbox is confirmed to be at. Saying 'See you on May 21st!' would be weird.

Well, Microsoft has been bouncing back and forth between the idea with revealing Durango before E3, or at E3.

First it was late April or E3, now they're deciding between late May or E3 (mid-June).

I honestly think they haven't made up their mind yet. Either way, two months from now we'll know for sure.

Microsoft is 100% announcing Durango by the time E3 is over.

see5harp

Why don't you cut my shit yourself you little punk? I can find a good amount of serious post claiming MS' eventual dead, but I don't have time for your cuntcrap.

Wow stop being so awkward and weird. Mods gonna come in here and cunt punt you.

Whats this mean folks:

The Windows Division posted revenue of $5.70 Billion, a 23% increase from the prior year period. Adjusting for the recognition of revenue related to Windows Upgrade Offer, Windows Division non-GAAP revenue was flat.

?

Road

http://www.microsoft.com/Investor/E...ntAndDevicesDivision/FY13/Q3/Performance.aspx

Entertainment & Devices Division

EDD revenue increased, primarily due to higher Xbox 360 platform and Windows Phone revenue. Xbox 360 platform revenue increased $641 million or 55%, primarily due to the recognition of $380 million of revenue related to the Video Game Deferral and higher Xbox LIVE revenue. Windows Phone revenue increased $259 million, including patent licensing revenue and increased sales of Windows Phone licenses.

EDD operating income increased, primarily due to revenue growth, offset in part by higher cost of revenue and research and development expenses. Cost of revenue increased $275 million or 23%, due mainly to increased royalties on Xbox LIVE content and video games. Research and development expenses increased $113 million or 28%, primarily reflecting higher headcount-related expenses.

jcm

Ugh, none of the analysts asked about Xbox.

They never do. Xbox is just a sideline for MS. Anyway, it seems like they had a decent quarter. It's be nice if they'd get Win Phone out of ED&D so we can get a better idea of the business.

Top Bottom