• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4G Direct announced for Wednesday

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm hoping they announce the US release date because we got Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate just 3 months after Japan so we should get it between January and March.

L~A

I'm hoping they announce the US release date because we got Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate just 3 months after Japan so we should get it between January and March.

Nope, we got Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 1 year and 3 months after Japan, only the Wii U version was released 3 months after Japan.

MH4U is definitely a Feb. / March release, so roughly 4 months after Japan... which isn't all that bad, all things considered.

This media overload coming out of Japan is making this wait really hard lol

Pretty much my most hyped upcoming release next to bloodborne

wiibomb

Spoiler galore, I'm not going to watch.

I don't quite understand this, what spoiler? the story is never told before the release (and honestly it isn't that important) and please don't tell me that knowing the monsters is now a spoiler...

its like knowing the chracters of smash, you can know them but the real deal is playing them, same as the monsters, you can know them but until you play them you cannot trully know them

That's not the Direct I wanted this week.

Agreed

I don't want to spam this topic, but I absolutely agree.
should I open a topic to rant about the lack of a global Wii U direct since E3?

Yes, please do!

Considering the Captain Toad delay into early 2015, I can see the next Wii U Direct being a Smash Wii U Direct (with amiibos).
I'm really disappointed by Nintendo post E3 Wii U treatment.

Yeah, a Smash Direct would be totally Nintendo... such a disappointment, I'm disappointed too with their after E3 treatment. Except the MK DLC and N3DS(+Xeno) its just a whole lot of nothing.

Evenflow

that's a placeholder though, like most retailers like amazon do all the time, no that is not the release date, but that should be the latest it could release

except Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop all have the same date... which means it's not a placeholder, it's a tuesday, and placeholders are usually generic like the 1st or 15th. 3 major retailers don't just get together and randomly pick a date which just so happens to be a tuesday... not official but I'd say 99%

Is this already a forgone conclusion?
Previously the HD version existed because Capcom thought it was necessary for the game to sell in the states. 3U kind of dispelled that myth since the 3DS version outsold the Wii U version, and the primary benefit of online play is gone in gen 4, so there's no longer a priority for it to exist anymore.

wiibomb

except Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop all have the same date... which means it's not a placeholder, it's a tuesday, and placeholders are usually generic like the 1st or 15th. 3 major retailers don't just get together and randomly pick a date which just so happens to be a tuesday... not official but I'd say 99%

eerrrm no... its has been confirmed even by Yuri from Capcom unity, that's just a placeholder..

how can it be seen? because its the end of the month, all placeholders from amazon and other retailers are done on the last day of the month, exactly like when amazon puts a date of 31 december, 20XX when they don't know the release of something that is released on that year

an example? this: halo 5

Evenflow

eerrrm no... its has been confirmed even by Yuri from Capcom unity, that's just a placeholder..

how can it be seen? because its the end of the month, all placeholders from amazon and other retailers are done on the last day of the month, exactly like when amazon puts a date of 31 december, 20XX when they don't know the release of something that is released on that year

an example? this: halo 5

Well, I certainly hope you are right! The sooner this is in my 3DS(hopefully New 3DS), the better!

Previously the HD version existed because Capcom thought it was necessary for the game to sell in the states. 3U kind of dispelled that myth since the 3DS version outsold the Wii U version, and the primary benefit of online play is gone in gen 4, so there's no longer a priority for it to exist anymore.

If that's true why didn't the PS3 HD version ever come stateside?

3U failed on WiiU because it was on WiiU

If they had released a co-op online hunting game on 360/PS3/PC etc who knows what would have happened

Its the Same thing that happened with Tri on the Wii. Great game but they backed the wrong horse.

Too Little too late and always on the wrong platform is the MH console legacy.

I am completely convinced that MHP3rd would have been the top selling console MH ever in the west for the simple reason of being on PS3. Shame we never got to know for sure

sörine

Banned
3U failed on WiiU because it was on WiiU

If they had released a co-op online hunting game on 360/PS3/PC etc who knows what would have happened

Its the Same thing that happened with Tri on the Wii. Great game but they backed the wrong horse.

Too Little too late and always on the wrong platform is the MH console legacy.

I am completely convinced that MHP3rd would have been the top selling console MH ever in the west for the simple reason of being on PS3. Shame we never got to know for sure
Tri outsold most of it's comparable PS3/360 efforts in the west, like Lost Planet 2 and Dragon's Dogma. By a lot. I'm not sure why you're so convinced PS360 would've magically blown up western Monster Hunter sales but it's pretty baseless.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Nope, we got Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 1 year and 3 months after Japan, only the Wii U version was released 3 months after Japan.

MH4U is definitely a Feb. / March release, so roughly 4 months after Japan... which isn't all that bad, all things considered.
Yeah I was thinking about the Wii U version when I said that as for the release date I'm betting March because February is already packed with some heavy hitters and MH3U also came out in March.In which case this might mean that Capcom will have another Monster Hunter Booth at C2E2 like it did last year in which case I would gladly attend again.

First DLC character for the game.

Considering the Namco connection, I'm hoping for Klonoa or Mappy myself.

Mappy is more iconic, but considering recent events like Ferguson, I could see why they wouldn't want to put him in a game. Klonoa would just be awesome, and he's had several cameos in games already, like a playable character in Moto GP.

announce =NEW= WiiU bundle with MonHun 4G faceplates and new CPU and More Ram for ultimate 1080p/60fps HD hunting pls

ah Japan gets all the good stuff

GTFO with that new Wii U bullshit, I will seriously sell mine and never look back if they do this crap with a home console.

sörine;133141973 said:
Tri outsold most of it's comparable PS3/360 efforts in the west, like Lost Planet 2 and Dragon's Dogma. By a lot. I'm not sure why you're so convinced PS360 would've magically blown up western Monster Hunter sales but it's pretty baseless.

Because of he kind of game it is?

Online co-op hunting game would have killed on those systems because they didnt have the infrastructure hangups the wii had and a more active online player base.

People like to rag on Resident Evil 5 but the online co-op carried it.

Tri was great but you didnt have the same massive online crowd and hardcore base attached the system. It sold well purely to the rabid MH fanbase and even then we complained about its terrible setup for online play.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Go for it. Would love a discussion topic about it.

Agreed

Yes, please do!

Yeah, a Smash Direct would be totally Nintendo... such a disappointment, I'm disappointed too with their after E3 treatment. Except the MK DLC and N3DS(+Xeno) its just a whole lot of nothing.

ok, tomorrow I'll do it
ON TOPIC: I hope they'll confirm the western release date, even if so far it seems another Japan only direct

ok, tomorrow I'll do it
ON TOPIC: I hope they'll confirm the western release date, even if so far it seems another Japan only direct

Since its japan only i am kind expecting a recap of recently revealed monsters along with the reveal of that new one.

Then another collab.... Special edition talks, dlc talks, and Boom WiiU Version (not happening but would be awesome)

wiibomb

people stop expecting ANY kind of western news at this, this is an entirely japanese direct aimed to build the final hype towards the release of the game on weekend.

directs like this have already happened (MH4 had one, for example) and of course it did not had any western news

Ridley327

Online co-op hunting game would have killed on those systems because they didnt have the infrastructure hangups the wii had and a more active online player base.

Tri was great but you didnt have the same massive online crowd and hardcore base attached the system. It sold well purely to the rabid MH fanbase and even then we complained about its terrible setup for online play.

I'm not sure that the game being multiplayer-focused is a guarantee that it would have done better with more active total online userbase. If that was the case, then games like Chromehounds or White Knight Chronicles would have lasted a lot longer than they did. I just don't see how it would have done so much better on those two that would have justified the higher cost.

I looked at the Direct history and there's nothing preventing a proper Direct from being this week still as at least once there was a game Direct and a proper one a few days apart (eg Aug 2013).

In Nintendo Voice Chat: Goodbye Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection the person from GameSpy clearly mentions the biggest Wii online titles (Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Monster Hunter Tri) had a population “toe-to-toe with some of the biggest franchises like Battlefield that we supported in terms of concurrent players in the evenings” (~13 minutes). What more massive do you need?

Ridley327

In Nintendo Voice Chat: Goodbye Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection the person from GameSpy clearly mentions the biggest Wii online titles (Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Monster Hunter Tri) had a population “toe-to-toe with some of the biggest franchises like Battlefield that we supported in terms of concurrent players in the evenings” (~13 minutes). What more massive do you need?

Not to mention that Tri didn't even use Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, as it was done through Capcom's own servers and software. And even though Nintendo hosts the servers for MH3U, Capcom still did all the network programming themselves.

Does this guy back it up with actual numbers because i think peak population numbers and stats for all of those games mentioned exist

Are you aware of the complete lunacy that is P3rdHD's online implementation? There's hella kludges due to the fact it's a low-effort port of an PSP game.

Also I'm sure MH3 sold like it did because of the pre-existing fans and not because it was on the system with the higher install base and had a large marketing campaign financed by exclusivity

Are you aware of the complete lunacy that is P3rdHD's online implementation? There's hella kludges due to the fact it's a low-effort port of an PSP game.

Also I'm sure MH3 sold like it did because of the pre-existing fans and not because it was on the system with the higher install base and had a large marketing campaign financed by exclusivity

Thats just prove of the complete lack of effort on Capcom's part which is BAFFLING since they have made other games that work just fine.

Is the MH team completely isolated from the development resources the company owns?

Also yes you are right

Hardcore MH fans DID carry the numbers for Tri but thats not what Capcom was shooting for lol. They absolutely put the game on there for the shallow reason of the Wii having a higher install base.

wiibomb

Thats just prove of the complete lack of effort on Capcom's part which is BAFFLING since they have made other games that work just fine.

Is the MH team completely isolated from the development resources the company owns?

Also yes you are right

Hardcore MH fans DID carry the numbers for Tri but thats not what Capcom was shooting for lol. They absolutely put the game on there for the shallow reason of the Wii having a higher install base.

I've been thinking this was true for some time now...

considering how good the team has gone (not only in terms of quality and quantity, but also on the sales they have gotten on the games), i think this should be perfectly ok.

now, one thing to consider is the fact that Monster Hunter has been since the PSP times a heavily focused portable game, the mechanics of the saga fits perfectly for handhelds, and may be that is another reasin why it doesnt sell as good as the console counterparts

udivision

I think because, above all, the want MH to be a B-Budget game. Since Tri wasn't a port but rather a brand new game, it'd be hard to justify putting out a non-HD game on an HD console.

Ridley327

I think because, above all, the want MH to be a B-Budget game. Since Tri wasn't a port but rather a brand new game, it'd be hard to justify putting out a non-HD game on an HD console.

Not to mention that with the PSP entries erupting as big as they did, the Wii was a better system to put the game on so that the work involved with downgrading assets would have been as minimal as possible.

Top Bottom