• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4G Direct announced for Wednesday

sörine

Banned
Because of he kind of game it is?

Online co-op hunting game would have killed on those systems because they didnt have the infrastructure hangups the wii had and a more active online player base.

People like to rag on Resident Evil 5 but the online co-op carried it.

Tri was great but you didnt have the same massive online crowd and hardcore base attached the system. It sold well purely to the rabid MH fanbase and even then we complained about its terrible setup for online play.
Sorry, the rabid MH fanbase wasn't 400k+ in the US alone. Looking at previous installments it was significantly less than half that. Advertising and Nintendo diehards are what drove it above the usual western MH base and it went on to outsell basically every other major Capcom game that wasn't RE, DR or SF from 2010 on. Tri was far from a failure in the west.

How did PSU sell? How did LP2 sell? It's not as if similar games hadn't failed to take hold in the west before on those platforms. The kind of game MH is has never really been a hit on PS or Xbox overseas so I'm confused where this assumption Tri automatically would've done even better (without Nintendo's promotional push) comes from exactly?

Thats just prove of the complete lack of effort on Capcom's part which is BAFFLING since they have made other games that work just fine.

Is the MH team completely isolated from the development resources the company owns?

Also yes you are right

Hardcore MH fans DID carry the numbers for Tri but thats not what Capcom was shooting for lol. They absolutely put the game on there for the shallow reason of the Wii having a higher install base.

And easier/cheaper to develop for. Today the MH dev team is so embarrassingly out of sync with modern gaming that they have to develop on smart phone just so they don't look bad against other games on the platform.

Imagine if Naughty Dog said Uncharted 4 was going to be on PSP because it has a better install base than PS4. Thats basically what the MH devs chose to do during MH3 development. They threw out all PS3 progress and drank the Nintendo Koolaide and went all in on Wii and 3DS. Because giving up on an arms race always wins wars in the end.

sörine

Banned
And easier/cheaper to develop for. Today the MH dev team is so embarrassingly out of sync with modern gaming that they have to develop on smart phone just so they don't look bad against other games on the platform.

Imagine if Naughty Dog said Uncharted 4 was going to be on PSP because it has a better install base than PS4. Thats basically what the MH devs chose to do during MH3 development. They threw out all PS3 progress and drank the Nintendo Koolaide and went all in on Wii and 3DS. Because giving up on an arms race always wins wars in the end.
Looking at the state of Capcom's internal R&D today I don't think the MH team is so bad off. They've seemingly fared much better than the teams that focused on HD games like Lost Planet 2, Dragon's Dogma or even RE6.

The only other internal teams that seems to have weathered the past several years as well are the Ace Attorney and MH Frontier teams.

Ridley327

sörine;133172780 said:
Looking at the state of Capcom's internal R&D today I don't think the MH team is so bad off. They've seemingly fared much better than the teams that focused on HD games like Lost Planet 2, Dragon's Dogma or even RE6.

The only other internal teams that seems to have weathered the past several years as well are the Ace Attorney and MH Frontier teams.

Hell, without MH being where it is right now, I'd have strong doubts of Capcom being able to maintain themselves without being bought out or merging with another company to stay alive.

Sandfox

If it were anyone else I would think this was a joke post.

Haunted

They're not gonna announce a Wii U version during this Direct, not right before the launch of the 3DS version... which also happens to be the poster child of the N3DS (which is the central piece of Nintendo's end-of-year offensive in Japan).
so you're saying there's a chance...

sörine;133170413 said:
Sorry, the rabid MH fanbase wasn't 400k+ in the US alone. Looking at previous installments it was significantly less than half that. Advertising and Nintendo diehards are what drove it above the usual western MH base and it went on to outsell basically every other major Capcom game that wasn't RE, DR or SF from 2010 on. Tri was far from a failure in the west.

How did PSU sell? How did LP2 sell? It's not as if similar games hadn't failed to take hold in the west before on those platforms. The kind of game MH is has never really been a hit on PS or Xbox overseas so I'm confused where this assumption Tri automatically would've done even better (without Nintendo's promotional push) comes from exactly?

Never been a Hit on PS or Xbox overseas?

Thats a misnomer! They never RELEASED a game for EITHER of those platforms so we will NEVER know will we?

I would have LOVED to see how Portable 3rd would have done quite honestly for sheer comparison alone!

Its not like demand wasn't there. When the majority of my buds heard Tri was a Wii Exclusive it was accompanied by some serious groans man. Luckily most people already owned a Wii and it was a stellar game despite being behind the times for an online game.

3 Ultimate really is the best Example of a solid Western Console effort . The only chink in its armor was the fact that WiiU stumbled hard out of the gate.

3Ultimate had HD display, Cross Region Play, Voice Chat, Online lobbies, Off Tv Play. Kills me that it didn't sell enough to lock in 4 Ultimate for the WiiU from the get go.

I bet even if it did perform well they still wouldn't do it. The success in the homeland has made them continuously take a soft approach to the series as a global property and thats really frustrating

It might be the only franchise in Capcom's core lineup that does this.

sörine

Banned
Never been a Hit on PS or Xbox overseas?

Thats a misnomer! They never RELEASED a game for EITHER of those platforms so we will NEVER know will we?

I would have LOVED to see how Portable 3rd would have done quite honestly for sheer comparison alone!

Its not like demand wasn't there. When the majority of my buds heard Tri was a Wii Exclusive it was accompanied by some serious groans man. Luckily most people already owned a Wii and it was a stellar game despite being behind the times for an online game.

3 Ultimate really is the best Example of a solid Western Console effort . The only chink in its armor was the fact that WiiU stumbled hard out of the gate.

3Ultimate had HD display, Cross Region Play, Voice Chat, Online lobbies, Off Tv Play. Kills me that it didn't sell enough to lock in 4 Ultimate for the WiiU from the get go.

I bet even if it did perform well they still wouldn't do it. The success in the homeland has made them continuously take a soft approach to the series as a global property and thats really frustrating

It might be the only franchise in Capcom's core lineup that does this.
It wasn't a misnomer, I said anything like MH, not MH itself. And anyway MH itself has technically released on PS platforms before over here.

MH3U did pretty well in the west too, last NPD sales we saw were over 200k 3DS and over 100k Wii U iirc. With eShop it's probably close to Tri overall.

sörine;133196543 said:
It wasn't a misnomer, I said anything like MH, not MH itself. And anyway MH itself has technically released on PS platforms before over here.

MH3U did pretty well in the west too, last NPD sales we saw were over 200k 3DS and over 100k Wii U iirc. With eShop it's probably close to Tri overall.

Source for the last known NPD leaks?

Don't forget that Mon hun have been having good deal sales from Capcom too in Eshop and retail.

Yep, it's how I got mine ($20 on eShop). Fucking text is WAY too small and I WISH to god that they'd patch a larger size option and maybe stabilize the framerate the best they can while they're at it.

Wonder if an Operation Textbox 180 would work?

also

Banned
I don't quite understand this, what spoiler? the story is never told before the release (and honestly it isn't that important) and please don't tell me that knowing the monsters is now a spoiler...

its like knowing the chracters of smash, you can know them but the real deal is playing them, same as the monsters, you can know them but until you play them you cannot trully know them

Seeing a new monster for the first time in the game >>> seeing it in a trailer
It did kind of kill the Vita and that makes enemies I suppose.
Sony, or rather SCEE and SCEA killed the Vita when they didn't bend over backwards for Capcom to keep the franchise on their handhelds. I really wish someone would ask them how much they regret not localizing P3rd themselves and blocking P3rd HD.

Anura

Awesome! I hope they finally show more new monsters so that-oh, wait... The usual MH port begging/console wars is going in here. I guess I will come back later

Really?

MH is selling 4m+ in Japan alone, and it's the most valuable Capcom IPs along with Resident Evil. For one, I would say that the MH team has understood the better the market.

Seeing a new monster for the first time in the game >>> seeing it in a trailer

Sony, or rather SCEE and SCEA killed the Vita when they didn't bend over backwards for Capcom to keep the franchise on their handhelds. I really wish someone would ask them how much they regret not localizing P3rd themselves and blocking P3rd HD.

I would have loved to see P3rd Numbers honestly

Should have released but it did have issues with the online setup. Having a PS3 paired to the PSP Adhoc Party for online play was clearly a sticking point for SCEA

wiibomb

does somebody know if somebody will make a (kind of) translation of the things told on the direct? I remember that for the Monster Hunter 4 direct last year there was someone on twitter telling us what was going on...

Dr. Buni

A Wii U port would be interesting, but I don't think it is happening.

Also, lol at people bitching about the lack of a Wii U Direct, when we are yet to get even a global 3DS Direct after E3. Nintendo literally said fuck it for the poor 3DS.

Really?

MH is selling 4m+ in Japan alone, and it's the most valuable Capcom IPs along with Resident Evil. For one, I would say that the MH team has understood the better the market.

no.
To understand the market you have to put your game on PS4/XBO. You can also understand the market by making it exclusive to PS4.
THAT is understanding the market.

edit : on topic, I will not watch the direct, release is too far away, It would be too frustrating. Would love a WiiU version though...

You are all immeasurably boring. Except for those who are actually interested in MONSTER HUNTER and the MONSTERS and the HUNTING that's involved in it, hmm? Not all of us have such poor eyesight and care about graphics so much that we want it so badly on a failing console. It's not happening in the foreseeable future, so shut up and go remind yourselves how awesome Chameleos is.

casiopao

no.
To understand the market you have to put your game on PS4/XBO. You can also understand the market by making it exclusive to PS4.
THAT is understanding the market.

edit : on topic, I will not watch the direct, release is too far away, It would be too frustrating. Would love a WiiU version though...

Ummm u are joking right???

PS4 and XboxOne sold like crap in Jp, u know right? And MH never sold a lot outside of JP till now. Killing 4 mill amount of sales to gamble on more expensive console software, which does guarantee even 1 to 2 mill on sales is idiot or insane level of move.

impact

Banned
You are all immeasurably boring. Except for those who are actually interested in MONSTER HUNTER and the MONSTERS and the HUNTING that's involved in it, hmm? Not all of us have such poor eyesight and care about graphics so much that we want it so badly on a failing console. It's not happening in the foreseeable future, so shut up and go remind yourselves how awesome Chameleos is.

Such a ridiculous thing to say.

MH3U on Wii U was way better than the 3DS version. Hint: it had nothing to do with graphics.

Ummm u are joking right???

PS4 and XboxOne sold like crap in Jp, u know right? And MH never sold a lot outside of JP till now. Killing 4 mill amount of sales to gamble on more expensive console software, which does guarantee even 1 to 2 mill on sales is idiot or insane level of move.

Sorry I didn't use the ;p

casiopao

MH3U on Wii U was way better than the 3DS version. Hint: it had nothing to do with graphics.

Well each one had their pro and cons, so I would not said one is way better than the other.

3DS ones allow u to play the game everywhere and on the go. Which is great for game like Mon Hun which focused on mission based.

Wii U provide u better graphics and control+ online but u can only play them at home.

Er, they were the same games, barring the lack of online multiplayer in the 3DS version (which is now a difference that doesn't exist). Yet in spite of no online multiplayer, the 3DS version was much more successful (nearly three times more successful), whereas the Wii U version could very generously be called mildly successful for a Wii U game. So 'better' is not as profitable. Granted, it IS better, but that did damn all to make it sell more. Capcom know which is the more profitable option.

Peru

Well the online is better in 4g than 3u on the wii u.

Point is not so much that specifically as the fact that you can forgive actual MH fans for getting tired of EVERY thread ending up like this and not talking about the game. I've cracked before and posted similar tirades. It's just so tiring. I care about MH more than any other series and would love to see and participate in in-depth discussion about new features, places, monsters, but except for when the OTs settle down into hunting party talk every single time it's like this.

Garou

So, I guess we are in for another monster-reveal tonight.
Who is left from previous games that could return in 4G? Nargacuga? Lagiacrus Subspecies?

So, I guess we are in for another monster-reveal tonight.
Who is left from previous games that could return in 4G? Nargacuga? Lagiacrus Subspecies?

Nargacuga and Lagiacrus have both been confirmed to not be in the game. Therefore, Ivory Lagi is probably not gonna be in the game, either... Sorry (although their gear is in the game). Mind, if you like Nargacuga, you'll love Steve.

Tenbatsu

picture150q7t.png

& I hope they will show Lao tonight.

Garou

Nargacuga and Lagiacrus have both been confirmed to not be in the game. Therefore, Ivory Lagi is probably not gonna be in the game, either... Sorry (although their gear is in the game). Mind, if you like Nargacuga, you'll love Steve.
I guess Tigrex will do in the meantime. Who is Steve?

It will be funny if stores break the street date before the direct.

Within the next 90 minutes??

I guess Tigrex will do in the meantime. Who is Steve?

Within the next 90 minutes??

Steve is the flagship monster for the game. (the Japanese name is Seruregiosu is the actual name, but people just call it Steve because Yuri as a joke said that was it's name :p )

It's unusually large and extremely fast. Like a faster Nargacuga that can fly better than a Rathalos. And it looks like a pinecone when angry. It also has a new ailment (a laceration effect that eats away at your health when you make large movements), and the weapons have a new status effect (for blademaster, the sharpness of the weapon slightly increases when you roll, for bowgun you reload a single bullet when you roll, and for bow you get one close range coating when you roll). Although getting the weapons and armour seems like hell, because it looks more difficult than most monsters in the series.

MH4U-Seruregiosu_Render_002.png

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Thats just prove of the complete lack of effort on Capcom's part which is BAFFLING since they have made other games that work just fine.

Is the MH team completely isolated from the development resources the company owns?

Also yes you are right

Hardcore MH fans DID carry the numbers for Tri but thats not what Capcom was shooting for lol. They absolutely put the game on there for the shallow reason of the Wii having a higher install base.

RE Revelations 2 and REmake HD (and many other games) are on ps360 but no Wii U for the same shallow reason.

also

Banned
Maybe I'll watch just a bit...

It's really not. Worse frame rate and controls and if you need the second stick that badly, you can always buy the CCP.
I feel that the game sometimes eats my button inputs which is really frustrating for a GS user. In fact I ordered a LAN adapter to play the 3DS version online through Wii U.

Rootbeer

Banned
i guess i'll watch it since i'll be up. if there will be a wii u version they need to announce it *NOW* because i'm not sure i'll keep my 3ds pre-order if this is the case.

Top Bottom