• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muramasa Rebirth |OT| Japanese-tastic 2D Vanillaware Action, Reborn in HD

Noi

4 bonus characters that we have no info about other than names and a single picture. Even Japan doesn't have the first character yet, so I wouldn't expect it to be out anytime soon.

AFAIK, Xseed tried to stay close to the Japanese version (which was very wordy and flowery) unlike Ignition, they sparknoted the text and removed the personality.

Looking at those comparison shots, I think I mostly prefer the Wii version. The new text seems pretentious to me and I find it a chore to read. :\

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Just as a quick confirmation (which im pretty certain I know the answer too), I can't buy and download this on my US PS3 PSN account and then load it to my UK Vita account via my UK PS3 account can I ? I couldn't see Sony overlooking that but just want to confirm as I'll just order the physical version come payday :)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Just as a quick confirmation (which im pretty certain I know the answer too), I can't buy and download this on my US PS3 PSN account and then load it to my UK Vita account via my UK PS3 account can I ? I couldn't see Sony overlooking that but just want to confirm as I'll just order the physical version come payday :)

Across Systems, only the same account can talk to itself. It won't recognize the data otherwise. This is why one has to do a full system restore to download JP demos on PSV; if you could just hop to the JP store on PS3, and transfer to a foreign account on Vita, it'd be so much easier :{

The only exception to this rule is copying stuff to PSP via PS3 or PC. Which doesn't help at all here...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Looking at those comparison shots, I think I mostly prefer the Wii version. The new text seems pretentious to me and I find it a chore to read. :\

I can agree to what you're saying; Aksys can push things too far in trying to make personalities for their characters, and it can make things feel bloated and too localized.

I have no idea which way this will end up going, but I look forward to finding out.

But people have pointed out repeatedly, that the Wii translation actually left out a lot of details, skipped entire parts of sentences and paragraphs, and generally came off as a "cliff notes" version of the story. So even if this translation ends up not being for you, the information shared on the story should be a clear improvement.

reson8or

I also changed my pre-order on Amazon from the CE to normal after I watched IGN's unboxing video and was pretty unimpressed by the stuff included. Oh well, its the game that counts, and now I can put that money towards the DLC whenever it comes out.

lol the wii version reads like a technical manual for a microwave. It's personality, not pretentiousness.

Opinions, man.

--

I guess my question now, before I drop $35 on this tomorrow is this: Can I play the game without giving a damn about the story? Or do I actually need to know what's going on to know where to go and what to do?

I can agree to what you're saying; Aksys can push things too far in trying to make personalities for their characters, and it can make things feel bloated and too localized.

I have no idea which way this will end up going, but I look forward to finding out.

But people have pointed out repeatedly, that the Wii translation actually left out a lot of details, skipped entire parts of sentences and paragraphs, and generally came off as a "cliff notes" version of the story. So even if this translation ends up not being for you, the information shared on the story should be a clear improvement.

Yeah, that's part of my problem -- they cast the fox geisha as some sort of proper Shakespearian lady using phrases like "less than fond" and "endless pall", etc. Then they try to make the main character some sort of improper no-nonsense take charge woman... but they mix a hint of the proper speech with phrases like "screwing around" and "damn"... granted, I'm basing this off a couple of screens from one scene in the game, but I'm already not a fan. I think I would have preferred a refinement of the Ignition script to include more details rather than a straight up start over version like this.

It reminds me of when Square finally translated Final Fantasy V. There was an EXCELLENT (by my accounts, of course) fan-made translation that had been going around the Internet as a patch for the ROM since the game wasn't localized at that point... and then they localized it and gave Faris an over the top "pirate" attitude in her speech. I couldn't play it. I turned it off, deleted the save, and sold the game. Then again, that was an RPG that required me to pay attention to the story...

Remember beating the one story on the Wii, but didn't care enough to finish the other character to get the "true" ending.

I can't see spending anywhere close to retail on this game, but would get it again if it were $10 or so.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Across Systems, only the same account can talk to itself. It won't recognize the data otherwise. This is why one has to do a full system restore to download JP demos on PSV; if you could just hop to the JP store on PS3, and transfer to a foreign account on Vita, it'd be so much easier :{

The only exception to this rule is copying stuff to PSP via PS3 or PC. Which doesn't help at all here...

Thanks very much for the reply :) I guess that's what I expected but disappointing regardless. Saying that at least it doesn't leave me out of luck, just means I need to import the actual game which is fine.

akaoni

Banned
That's a huge plus.
I went from "day one" after reading the new translation to "maybe". :\

I think we sort of hit this issue when the comparison shots first appeared. People who had not played the original version passed judgement on the translation differences, some of which thought it was 'Simple, short and liberal' vs 'Sophisticated, long and literal', which is not the case. If you want to experience the story you can either get the Vita version or find out the hard way. Don't do it!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, that lithograph IS small. Looks slightly wider than the CD casing. Still wish for an exact size so I can get something so I can hang it on my wall.

Screen protector looks nice, and while it's tempting to switch out my P4G one, it's just a paaaiiiinnn getting those on evenly without air bubbles.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
SE version looks a bit underwhelming, so I cancelled my pre-order. Still on the offense about the game as a whole. My backlog is just getting too ridiculous. Game looks fun though...

AwRy108

Got this on the cheap for my Wii, and only played a bit of it; but I liked what I played, despite my annoyance with jumping being tied to "Up" on the d-pad. Sounds like the Vita version addressed my biggest complaint, and I'm fairly certain that the gameplay style will be a terrific fit for a handheld, especially the one with the best screen in town.

Gonna cost me $19.08 on Amazon b/c I pre-ordered the game when it was $36.99 and I have $20.13 in credit cards points to use up. Don't think I would've paid full price for it simply b/c of how dirt-cheap the Wii version is (I think I paid $10 from NewEgg awhile back).

Thanks for the OT, OP.

Noi

Yeah, that's part of my problem -- they cast the fox geisha as some sort of proper Shakespearian lady using phrases like "less than fond" and "endless pall", etc.

That's the thing though, Aksys didn't cast the fox like that. That's how the character is like in the original script. The language used in Muramasa is the japanese equivalent of ye olde times for english, in which characters do use that type of language all the time. None of that comes across in the Ignition localization, which completely skip over stuff like mannerisms and character personalities.

Then they try to make the main character some sort of improper no-nonsense take charge woman... but they mix a hint of the proper speech with phrases like "screwing around" and "damn"...

...I'm just gonna say, play the game, cause that conversation is being taken completely out of context. :p

And no, you don't need to know the story to play since there's always a goal marker showing what your next destination is. Hell, there's a trophy for beating a whole story in less than 3 hours, that pretty much requires you to skip all the text!

It reminds me of when Square finally translated Final Fantasy V. There was an EXCELLENT (by my accounts, of course) fan-made translation that had been going around the Internet as a patch for the ROM since the game wasn't localized at that point... and then they localized it and gave Faris an over the top "pirate" attitude in her speech. I couldn't play it. I turned it off, deleted the save, and sold the game. Then again, that was an RPG that required me to pay attention to the story...

Off topic, but that was the PS1 translation which was rushed to completion and is generally considered terrible. They later re-did the localization for the GBA version and it's the definitive version of the game.

etrain911

I'm either buying this tonight or DKCR3D. It really depends on the type of reviews the game gets. Do we know when the first reviews are going to drip out?

Iskander

Neo Member
Trying to finish P4G before I get this Wednesday - don't think I'm gonna make it. Definitely hyped though! Getting the LE since I had Amazon credit.

About how long is the game (for a first playthrough)?

genjiZERO

Is it possible to get all the swords in a single play through? It was something I always wondered. This and Dark Souls were the best two games I played this gen. Everything from the music to the characters to the world to the art direction to the ambience were amazing. I finally decided to learn to make botamochi (ohagi) because of this game!

Noi

Is it possible to get all the swords in a single play through? It was something I always wondered. This and Dark Souls were the best two games I played this gen. Everything from the music to the characters to the world to the art direction to the ambience were amazing. I finally decided to learn to make botamochi (ohagi) because of this game!

Technically? To get all the swords, you need to finish the game with both characters and complete some enemy lairs that have swords as a reward, which are only available after you beat the game. But doing so is still part of one playthrough, since you don't have to restart the game to get 'em.

He could have at least taken new screenshots instead of using the same ones that have been floating around forever. :p

I was going to say the same thing. The whole idea of numbering in reviews these days should stop. I would rather just see the word buy or dont buy at the end of the review

Noi

Eh, I think an 8 is fine when you consider it should ideally be a 1-10 scale. We're just used to every review being top-heavy, with only 7-10 being the numbers that matter.

Although yeah, I'd love to just be done with numbers entirely.

Jonnyram

I think I'm gonna aim for everything but the
1-hit kill/Fury Mode
trophies. There'd have to be an awesome reward to motivate me to get those. I don't mind aiming for trophies, but I have my limits when one seems too hard or grindy. Still deciding on the one with
beating the game in 3 hours or less.
This is where I stopped with the Japanese version. Still waiting for the DLC to come out, but there's no way I'm gonna platinum the game. Fury mode is obscene.

SublimeO12

Neo Member
so torn about this. ughhh

I played most of it on dolphin a while back and its definitely worth picking up, especially if you're fiending for something to play on vita. The combat is really awesome, even if it does get a tad repetitive due mostly to fighting a lot of the same enemies, and the bosses are really cool. I'd recommend it for sure if you're a fan at all of ARPGS.

wilflare

I played most of it on dolphin a while back and its definitely worth picking up, especially if you're fiending for something to play on vita. The combat is really awesome, even if it does get a tad repetitive due mostly to fighting a lot of the same enemies, and the bosses are really cool. I'd recommend it for sure if you're a fan at all of ARPGS.

I'll definitely be getting this down the line.. just whether at launch price or not.
(the gaming budget is going out of hand)

Eusis

Apparently backtracking, not enough enemy types, and encounter-based battles amount to -2.0 points. Also how long have IGN been trying to be Polygon with that new layout?
Why do reviews keep being treated as if they're only subtractive rather than additive or just gut feeling? Nevermind that implies there's some hypothetical "perfect game" they're messing up, versus trying to reach a perfect or at least Great game.

... The ad made that page nigh-unreadable, it's pathetic if I need to enable adblock in order to read a review. Why did they let nVidia make the whole page go black with grey text on top?

Grisby

Didn't get my usual tex from GS about the game releasing tomorrow (well today technically I guess). Gonna have to call in the morning. It'll suck if it comes out Friday cause I'm fairly certain it said it was the 25th when I preordered it.

Eusis

Uhh, wow, 450 MB? I really may want to buy that digitally over physically, I mainly want that for games so damn big that even with 32 GB it's kind of unreasonable to store, it's half the reason I "purchased" Uncharted: Golden Abyss via Plus but never actually downloaded it (other half being I rented and beat it so I was in no rush to replay.)

Top Bottom