• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC: SecState Tillerson was on verge of resigning in July, called Trump a "moron"

I think Mattis, Kelly, Tillerson, and McMaster are the only people keeping this country from going to nuclear war right now.
Trump probably has Kelly swatting flies at the white house. Guy has been been super quiet for weeks now and there are no more articles coming out about how he is controlling Trump.
Can't wrap my head around all the people with the "the generals the wannabe authoritarian surrounded himself with are the only thing keeping us out of war" take. Freaking bizarre.
Everyone is lowering their standards for the office at warp speeds. At this point I think we'd have better luck if we switched Trump with any random white collar criminal right out of prison.

Poor Rex. Meanwhile your diplomats and their families are deliberately maimed with less than lethal weapons in Cuba, your country's influence and credibility are trending downward globally and multi-lateral agreements with the US are tossed in the trash on a whim.

Maybe fight for a larger budget instead of letting your department starve to death. Get some proper embassy security if nothing else.

We've all had bosses we hate... suck it up and do your fucking job.

Tillerson is fucked as soon as Trump hear about that moron bit on Fox News lol

Nah. Trump will tweet in 40 minutes that "despite fake news from failing NBC" that he is "very proud of what Rex is doing with the state department" and they have a "tremendous relationship." Then Tillerson will make some non-denial denial about it.

"Hey Moron!"

500x315x6.jpg.pagespeed.ic_.3_aRYQYDA_.jpg

RPGCrazied

He's not going to get fired. The only way he will is if this is on tape. They will deny this and call it fake news.

They could have did that with the Price scandal using tax payer dollars on private flights. But Trump didn't like the optics making him look bad.

gcubed

Between this and Mattis being like, don't worry about the child we elected, he's a buffoon. It's a good week to be Trump

FStubbs

Putting Pence in the WH was a master stroke by the GOP. He's probably the only reason those outside of Trump's inner circle are willing to stick around.

Imagine if Trump got to pick his VP. Probably would have been The Mooch or someone equally incompetent.

Manafort picked Pence. Pence is probably compromised too.

That pussy is pushing for diplomatic solutions with North Korea while his boss is publicially embarrassing him and threatening nuclear war.

I’d rather have the devil you know jn Tillerson then have a Secretary of State that will parrot Trumps egomaniacal fantasy of glassing an entire country.

With Trump as president I don't think anyone is capable of negotiating diplomatically on our behalf, and NK knows that. What leverage does Tillerson have?

And besides, it's not like the position would be filled if Rex bailed. DHS has been vacant for months.

Amalthea

Banned
Often I feel like the bigges threat to Trump is actually the scenario where somebody from his inner circle snaps because of all his bullshit.

Often I feel like the bigges threat to Trump is actually the scenario where somebody from his inner circle snaps because of all his bullshit.

If the establishment section of his cabinet leaves he is done. They are trying to hold this down and get through it and pass some shitty bills

jelly

Rex is there to lift sanctions. He is probably just hanging around a little while longer so it doesn't look like that is the reason but it totally is. I wonder if he managed to do other shady shit to further his oil goons when the Russia thing didn't work out.

Gutek

If his cabinet were decent people, all of them would’ve stepped down after yesterday’s remarks in Puerto Rico. In unison.

Lunar15

Tillerson leaving would probably demolish Trump's chances of successfully winning another Republican primary. The moderate base really loves Tillerson.

Then again, I don't think the "moderate base" really liked Trump to begin with, so who knows what the fuck happens in republican primaries moving forward.

Blader

That pussy is pushing for diplomatic solutions with North Korea while his boss is publicially embarrassing him and threatening nuclear war.

I'd rather have the devil you know jn Tillerson then have a Secretary of State that will parrot Trumps egomaniacal fantasy of glassing an entire country.

Tillerson has no power. Trump doesn't care about or listen to his opinion, and doesn't respect him. When the rest of the world's diplomats know the secretary of state is an irrelevant, toothless figure in the administration, his role is irrelevant.

Tillerson leaving would probably demolish Trump's chances of successfully winning another Republican primary. The moderate base really loves Tillerson.

Then again, I don't think the "moderate base" really liked Trump to begin with, so who knows what the fuck happens in republican primaries moving forward.

uh, who exactly is in this moderate base that *loves* Rex Tillerson?

Lunar15

....................why?

Why did they like Tillerson? Because he's just this "paragon" of "successful business" and he's the "adult in the room" that shows Trump could hire "good people" who could run the government "better than politicians".

Why did they not like Trump to begin with? Because he's a fucking moron reality TV show host. Entirely anecdotal, but I've yet to personally meet a Republican that actually voted for Trump in the primary. They were all stupid and voted for him in the general election, but they certainly didn't want him to win the primary.

Why did they like Tillerson? Because he's just this "paragon" of "successful business" and he's the "adult in the room" that shows Trump could hire "good people" who could run the government "better than politicians".

Why did they not like Trump to begin with? Because he's a fucking moron reality TV show host. Entirely anecdotal, but I've yet to personally meet a Republican that actually voted for Trump in the primary. They were all stupid and voted for him in the general election, but they certainly didn't want him to win the primary.

I meant the former, why do they like Tillerson but you answered it for me.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It was obvious that Dipshit is the worst kind of seagull manager, even before he became president. Of course he would bring that bullshit with him into important high-level government meetings.

I'm sure many people in the current administration call him a moron.

Thaedolus

I don't think it's going to happen, but not because someone will talk Trump down. I think if he ever gives the order to launch, the people responsible for executing the order will refuse to do so.

Which itself is dangerous and illegal, highlighting why people stress things like "temperament" and "competency" when asking about who should be president. When James Schlesinger and Kissinger usurped Nixon's launch authority in his final days, they likely committed a crime (in order to possibly save the world from a paranoid drunk). It wouldn't surprise me if a similar set of orders were in place right now, but this isn't a precedent that should be made or taken lightly.

lol Trump would demolish everyone in a Republican primary because they are terrible people. His base is a group of insane loyal voters so no one has a shot against him

Stop giving republicans any credit

lol Trump would demolish everyone in a Republican primary because they are terrible people. His base is a group of insane loyal voters so no one has a shot against him

Indeed

They would follow Trump off a cliff it pissed off "libtards".

Gutek

Yeah. I’m still trying to figure out what the Republican Party will look like after Trump. He has completely destroyed them from the inside. Ryan, McConnell, “the establishment” are absolutely despised by the base. The only way forward is more Trump like characters.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Does anyone really applaud the exxon mobil CEO for calling trump a moron? I mean he's just as evil, just more calculating. Trump is blowing all of their covers by his incompetence is all. They'd rather slowly kill us without trump being such a buffoon that the spotlight was always on the whitehouse

Mahonay

Banned
Does anyone really applaud the exxon mobil CEO for calling trump a moron? I mean he's just as evil, just more calculating. Trump is blowing all of their covers by his incompetence is all. They'd rather slowly kill us without trump being such a buffoon that the spotlight was always on the whitehouse
I think most of are just enjoying the insane in-fighting. He's definitely not a person to champion, he's just as corrupt and fucked as the rest of them.

You got yourself into this mess, Rex. You thought this position would be a smooth way to gild your pockets, but you got a job with the worst boss in the world instead.

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Wow, so many Fake News stories today. No matter what I do or say, they will not write or speak truth. The Fake News Media is out of control!

NBC news is #FakeNews and more dishonest than even CNN. They are a disgrace to good reporting. No wonder their news ratings are way down!

Wow, so many Fake News stories today. No matter what I do or say, they will not write or speak truth. The Fake News Media is out of control!

NBC news is #FakeNews and more dishonest than even CNN. They are a disgrace to good reporting. No wonder their news ratings are way down!

AKA: nothing that fits my narrative is fake news.

Blader

Tillerson is not some calculating mastermind. He is extremely bad at his job because he lacks the competence for it.

For instance, a calculating individual would not call the president a fucking moron in front of the NSC staff!

Trump tees him up

Tillerson scores, or something like that - Kind of odd though if it is to go live on TV

gutshot

He's almost certainly going to come out and say the report is false and echo Trump in calling NBC #FakeNews. But how awesome would it be if instead he goes "It's all true, the President is a moron and I quit"?

mnannola

He's almost certainly going to come out and say the report is false and echo Trump in calling NBC #FakeNews. But how awesome would it be if instead he goes "It's all true, the President is a moron and I quit"?

Today would be a great day if that happened.

Top Bottom