• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Battlefield 4 Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suppose I'm in the minority on this, but I actually hate the first (outdoors) part of Metro so much more than the interior sections. Wide open expanses, easily defensible mcoms, and most importantly:

• No opportunity to flank

That's the real killer for me. Even in the subway, you've got a few options for getting to the sides of the enemy. In the first part, you've got the two big long halls - the left one usually ends up pretty clear, but the smaller hall between the two is a reliable way to get through. Further down, you can sneak to the far escalator and come up behind most the enemy. And when the enemy gets too committed to any one side, you can take the other and hit 'em at a 90 degree angle.

But that beginning part....ugh. It only takes a few guys to defend mcom A, and the rest can sit around B and keep you from getting near it. Eventually you get pushed back to the spawn, which has almost no forward cover to speak of.

I've been spawn trapped in the beginning of Metro as the attacker more times than on any other map (with the exception of a few of the End Game ones).

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
If 24 player Metro on the third set of MCOMs (the escalators/subway steps of doom) can make you ears go numb while wearing 7.1 surround sound headsets, I think my ears will bleed if it's 64 >_<

All your hear is rocket launchers, grenades, and sniper fire @ a constant rate just taken up by 1000% with 40 more players added into the mix

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Ever since playing Operation Metro in the Alpha test for BF3 when it was the only functional map in the game I have felt nothing but hate for that map.

Floex

• Campaign will be more character driven and emotional. Confidence in their skills in building multiplayer led them to spend more time into creating a good singleplayer story.
• NPCs will be more human. Right down to the smallest and simplest details of just watching you walk around etc.

Just stop talking, just stop.

Confidence the MP dev team? The game was in an absolute state when it launched.

BizzyBum

• Oculus Rift support is not planned, but is possible in the future

images

• Battlelog returns on PC and will integrated into the console games

images

Jarek23

Banned
&#8226; He also stated that Operation Metro is the most popular map in BF3, thus indirectly confirming that it'll return in the Second Assault DLC.

Really? The only reason this map is popular is because it's perfect for farming xp. No one plays this map unless they want to unlock something...like a trophy!

Out of all the maps, please don't bring this one back.

Cat Party

Suppose I'm in the minority on this, but I actually hate the first (outdoors) part of Metro so much more than the interior sections. Wide open expanses, easily defensible mcoms, and most importantly:

That's the real killer for me. Even in the subway, you've got a few options for getting to the sides of the enemy. In the first part, you've got the two big long halls - the left one usually ends up pretty clear, but the smaller hall between the two is a reliable way to get through. Further down, you can sneak to the far escalator and come up behind most the enemy. And when the enemy gets too committed to any one side, you can take the other and hit 'em at a 90 degree angle.

But that beginning part....ugh. It only takes a few guys to defend mcom A, and the rest can sit around B and keep you from getting near it. Eventually you get pushed back to the spawn, which has almost no forward cover to speak of.

I've been spawn trapped in the beginning of Metro as the attacker more times than on any other map (with the exception of a few of the End Game ones).
This. But I've noticed over many years and games that people tend to prefer maps that allow static defense.

Dr Prob

Banned

If you move up the right side, you can place a beacon at the very back of the playable area, then have a squadmate spawn as recon as well and stick another beacon on the other side, effectively controlling the defender's spawn and letting you attack the crates from behind.

But on the whole, I think a majority of the Rush maps were too straight ahead and constricted. Need room to operate!

If you move up the right side, you can place a beacon at the very back of the playable area, then have a squadmate spawn as recon as well and stick another beacon on the other side, effectively controlling the defender's spawn and letting you attack the crates from behind.

But on the whole, I think a majority of the Rush maps were too straight ahead and constricted. Need room to operate!

I think I just have bad luck with that technique. That right side is always a mess of snipers hoping for easy kills on players trying to swim or otherwise cross that wide expanse on the side of the mcom.

Best strategy I've found is to hound my teammates into using smoke with me and crossing over from A after you take it first.

Majanew

Banned
EA/DICE, I need the maps Nebandan Flats, Caspian Border, Gulf of Oman, Kharg Island, Wake Island, Sharqi Peninsula, next-gen-ified in BF4, please. And Grand Bazaar returning with nasty rain where you can barely see would be sweet.

majik13

Invincible MCOM was one of the dumbest things they did.It was so much fun figuring out sneaky ways to attack it.

totally agree, it opens up the game to so many more strategies. Yet people complained because they didnt know how to follow objectives, like protecting your mcom.
Hopefully they put the health somewhere in between bc2 launch and the patch.(which basically made them invincible).

Anyone know if there is mcom health?, or will they only be destroyed if they are inside building that collapses.

Odrion

Banned
I hope their level design improves.

Too many of BF3 maps felt too small for 64 players.
Hopefully the premium maps were an indication of where they're going with map design.

Also way more platforms are supporting 64 players, so hopefully the maps are being made with that in mind (Most of the vanilla maps were totally made with 24 players in mind.)

Odrion

Banned
Yeah, Metro is pretty cool in it's own dumb special way. And as a trench warfare map, it was better than that damn map with a tunnel.

Socreges

Banned
Metro is my favorite map. I hated it at first, but the more I played it, the more I realized it is the map that requires the most skill and strategy to win at. But, admittedly, if you don't have the proper skill set and know the angles of attack well, it's just a meat grinder.
Knowing the environment extremely well and how to exploit it is the most important factor. I'd say skill takes a back seat as long as you're competent and know the map.

Battlefield 3 was boring, I didn't like it. BF4 looks like an expansion pack for BF3...I pre-ordered it, but I am not excited

guess I finally got tired of this series, was a huge fan of it before since the beginning

Also, I almost hate to say this, but Metro is actually somewhat decent on consoles (for conquest anyway). Because of the low player count, it's not as difficult to retake control of the map provided your team is good. I really don't mind it on 360.

On PC, however, it's a fucking nightmare that's only good for boosting. To actually play it seriously is truly one of the worst experiences of this entire generation.

majik13

yeah I really disliked Metro from the beta, and I think it gets a lot of its hate from that at least early on. But after being dissapointed by most of the vanilla maps, the map grew on me.

It felt more like a bc2 map than most of the others, in regard to each section/base seemed very different, and that you were advancing a front line.

I do hope they tweak it to alleviate some of the choke points though.

Edit: I only played it on consoles.

EVIL

The only reason this map is so popular is for boosting. On the other hand, I'd love for them to fix it, since its a choke point hell. Adding more routes would really help.

Odrion

Banned
What I really want are more custom rulesets for servers. Please give me a 'bolt-action rifle only' Metro server.

Megasoum

Banned

Battlelog is great, works much better than an ingame browser.

Also the whole "Metro is the most popular map" is such a skewed statistic. Sure it's the most popular but not for the good reasons. It's not because Metro is the map most people love, it's the most popular because if the easiest map to cheat your way to the top of the progression.

Battlefield 3 was boring, I didn't like it. BF4 looks like an expansion pack for BF3...I pre-ordered it, but I am not excited

guess I finally got tired of this series, was a huge fan of it before since the beginning

You got so tired of it that...you preordered and are paying full price for the next one.

zma1013

I hope their level design improves.

Too many of BF3 maps felt too small for 64 players.

Heck even many of the large maps don't feel big enough for 64 players, mainly because of how they cram everything important into a small area of the map. Caspian Border, Kharg Island, Operation Firestorm all suffer this same problem.

BF3DESIGN.jpg

elyetis

Heck even many of the large maps don't feel big enough for 64 players, mainly because of how they cram everything important into a small area of the map. Caspian Border, Kharg Island, Operation Firestorm all suffer this same problem.

BF3DESIGN.jpg
Yup, to think many people feared it from the Caspian border trailer, and actually were right, still amaze me, sadly. Thought after BC2 you had to expect disapointment when it came to map size.

Only 3 decent sized map at release ( probably the only one not made with rush in mind ), and all of them suffered from flag cluster syndrom. Some dlc maps ( months after release ) made things a little better, but I sure am not confident when it comes to map design in bf4. ( Karkand DLC also proved they felt the need to make existing bf2 map smaller with more choke point )

Yup, to think many people feared it from the Caspian border trailer, and actually were right, still amaze me, sadly. Thought after BC2 you had to expect disapointment when it came to map size.

Only 3 decent sized map at release ( probably the only one not made with rush in mind ), and all of them suffered from flag cluster syndrom. Some dlc maps ( months after release ) made things a little better, but I sure am not confident when it comes to map design in bf4. ( Karkand DLC also proved they felt the need to make existing bf2 map smaller with more choke point )

that's because DICE tried to capture the CoD crowd which are used to smaller maps. A mistake for sure.

netBuff

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wouldn't say "nobody." They sold 5 million copies of BF3. How many of those people played the game online?

http://translate.google.com/transla...-online-e-pc-ps3-e-circa-il-doppio-di-360.php

This says:

That's almost 4 million people (give or take) that didn't play online. They must have played something.

Battlefield 3 has shipped over 17 million units: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...d-bf3-premium-has-over-2-million-subscribers/

I feel pretty safe saying whatever is pulling those stats probably isn't doing a good job.

Calmine

Caspian Border was a great map to play on when there's 64 people. Felt like a chore though with 32 or less, too big for that amount of people.

zma1013

Caspian border was the best map in BF3.

Great options for every play style.

And yet it feels crowded with 64 players. I certainly think it's the best of the vanilla maps for sure, but I don't think it works quite right with 64 players because everyone is piled in the middle.

Caspian Border was a great map to play on when there's 64 people. Felt like a chore though with 32 or less, too big for that amount of people.

48 players is what I've found to be a good middle-ground between getting shot in the sides and back from every single angle imaginable and seeing tumbleweeds blow across the flags.

Why is Metro the most popular? Because you can choke the opponent back top their spawn and keep them there?

I have never been part of as good metro game is always a one sided slaughter. That's fun?

Raven77

What bothers me is that DICE actually thinks people play Metro because its fun.

Sure, some do, and it certainly isn't boring but the everyone I have ever spoken with about this map plays it purely for stat boosting.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Battlefield 3 has shipped over 17 million units: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...d-bf3-premium-has-over-2-million-subscribers/

I feel pretty safe saying whatever is pulling those stats probably isn't doing a good job.

Whoa! That linked article was written by me back when I was working for Gameranx. Numbers are from EA so they're legit. :)

Anyhoo, I seem to remember EA releasing official "concurrent online" numbers back then, too. I think they revealed that during March, they had more than 3-4 million people online across all platforms? Yeah, the numbers quoted are very old or inaccurate.

Of course, it dropped down somewhat. Hopefully, with EA's investors call tomorrow, they'll reveal more just to trump up BF4.

Another thought, I'm at 85 Colonel now but I still like Metro CQ or Rush. Not because I grind for points since there's no point to it with the level I'm at, but I like it due to vehicles not being involved and obliterating anyone.

But I play on consoles so that's a big difference from the clusterfuck that is 64 players on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom