• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM, January 08 (Galaxy, NiGHTS, AC, Rock Band reviewed)

FoxSpirit said:
Streetfighter? Microtransactions? WHAT?

I expect that these microtransactions will be for "characters"(like reskins, clones, etc). No way would Capcom actually charge people for brand new characters.

It's still hilariously idiotic and completely the wrong way to go about with microtransactions.

RSTEIN said:
Can someone tell me what Front Mission is? Never heard of it.

Turn-based SRPG with mechs. Great stuff.

Beezy

WTF at that Trauma Center: New Blood score. What were their complaints? Too hard and similar to the previous game?

FoxSpirit said:
Streetfighter? Microtransactions? WHAT?
Since it's 3D, and ostensibly easier to replace character models, they'll probably nickel and dime SF3 fans for remeshed/reskined SF3 characters.

Remy skin for Guile? 400 MS Points confirmed.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Fatghost said:
Any other screen shots for SF4 besides the three that are already on the net?

Any thing shown of other backgrounds or characters besides Ken and Ryu? Anything that shows a obvious gameplay screen, life bars, etc?

The two "gameplay" shots we've seen so far definately seem to be on an angle and not a dead on 2D perspective...

More screen shots, but its all Ken and Ryu, same location.

Tiktaalik

skip said:
we'll get started on the next issue of Production Value Monthly.

:lol

Yeah Crispin has explained his viewpoint in detail on the 1up show, 1up yours and in his review. I think he showed quite clearly why he gave the game the score he did and I can definitely understand his complaints. Clearly the other EGM reviewers think a bit differently, but there's the advantage of the EGM system.

Clipjoint

skip said:
yes, but not as much as the game part of the gaming experience.

So your implication is that the game part of Assassin's Creed was torture to get through? I guess I just don't see how the overall package could be rated so low. I find the gameplay to be fun, and while I agree that it's repetetive under the default settings, it can definitely be tweaked to make the game much more immersive, which significantly reduces the feeling of tediousness. I honestly thought it was jusy abover average when I was playing with the GPS, but it was bumped up to great after reading the thread on GAF and removing the GPS and ditching the map.

Needless to say, I have my own theories on why they chose to include those as the default settings, and it has a direct correlation to the sales of the game being so high.

Krowley

skip said:
we'll get started on the next issue of Production Value Monthly.

When I said, "slickly made" I wasn't just talking about the visuals, I was talking about the control and basic design.

If the game runs into problems down the road, that might lower the score, but with so many average/buggy license games getting 6's or 7's these days, the problems later on in assassins creed must be devistating for it to score this low.

Not saying everybody would have to agree with my opinion, and I haven't played long enough to be positive, but I can't imagine a game that well made could end up being a 4.5.

Just running around that beautiful world and climbing shit is almost worthy of an 8 for me, even if it is draped over repetitive missions.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
schuelma said:
More screen shots, but its all Ken and Ryu, same location.

Anything with life bars? Different perspectives? Is Ken's face fucked in every picture, or is it just the one picture that's already been leaked?

Assassin's Creed- 7,6, 4.5

That's cute that you would say that.

Nintendo cancelled 1st party game because developers wanted to let players customize their Mii's

Why does this remind me of P Diddy closing down the studio on "The Band"?

SF IV Info:
-Online play is planned with potential for microtransactions such as new characters and stages

This

- Trying to get "as many SFII characters in as possible"

- Takes place after SFII Turbo and before SF III

-Controls are traditional- "in its current early state, the game feels remarkably close to Super SFII Turbo"

is

- Game is more aggressive- more about attacking than defending. Many of the SF III and Alpha gameplay systems have been scrapped.

bullshit. What a huge step back for the franchise, and rather pointless since they're giving us an HD version of SSFII Turbo next year anyway.

Tecmo Bowl listed as coming for 360/PS3, Summer 08 release date

Interesting.

jarrod

Banned
No6 said:
Hammer has been on the dead pile for months and the Mii tie-in wouldn't make sense.

What DOES make sense is Nintendo cancelling AC out of the fear that the game would show up on Nightline/Fox News due to the many, many Hitler Towns.
When you look at totaled AC1 sales (12m+ worldwide fwiw) killing the sequel due to fan generated content honestly doesn't make much sense. If anything, they'd limit user options or take out Mii integration, not kill the game entirely.

Again, I doubt this was (a) a franchise cancellation or (b) a JP team cancellation. If anything, it sounds like a western team being reprimanded for getting "out of line" with NCL protocol... otherwise EGM probably wouldn't even know about it in the first place.

schuelma

Next Month

Smash Brothers "blow out'

Previews of: GTA IV, Alan Wake, Killzone 2, FF 13, Wii Fit. Fable 2, Samba Di Amigo, God of War PSP

Reviews: DMC4, NFL Tour, Endless Ocean, Burnout, Rygar

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
schuelma said:
FF:CC Crystal Bearers "appears to be in trouble"
Yeah, it surely is the only SE game we don't get media and don't hear about for a long time...

Please, don't be cancelled. :_(

Fatghost said:
Anything with life bars? Different perspectives? Is Ken's face fucked in every picture, or is it just the one picture that's already been leaked?

Ryu

Eric P said:
sold

i now want indiana jones lego

They're working on that too. I think that's coming before Batman to release with the new Indy film? Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

schuelma

Alaluef said:
Yeah, it surely is the only SE game we don't get media and don't hear about for a long time...

Please, don't be cancelled. :_(

If it is, I would assume Square has to have something in the pipeline for Wii.....right?

I agree with the 4.5, and I'm looking forward to reading the text behind the score. Assassin's Creed holds your hand for far too long and takes hours to get started. Once the game actually begins and you're not required to walk around a lab waiting for other people to have a conversation, the stealth elements are just stupid (He's running around! Kill him!) and it becomes a follow-the-arrow quest of mundane proportions.

kuYuri

Well, it's nice that they are trying to harken back to the SFII days to draw in the fans, though I doubt it that it will do well. Still, I wanted something new and different. I don't want to play Street Fighter II again.

I shall reserve judgment until it's complete.

schuelma

Fatghost said:

No lifebars. Most of the screen shots aren't from a pure 2D perspective.

What bugs me the most about SF4 is that in some ways it doesn't feel like a new game. If all Capcom is going for is "SF2 with a greater emphasis on offense" then why bother calling it SF4?

SF3 was great because of how different it was. At the time I figured if SF4 was to ever happen it would go in a completely different direction and be nothing like Capcom's prior games.

Seems it's not to be.

Xisiqomelir

Firestorm said:
too hard was the reason on 1up I believe.

Someone please tell me who those reviewers were so I can forever discount their opinions.

EDIT:

Good:

SF IV Info:

-Producer is Yoshinori Ono

-Ono wants it to be the "second coming" of SF II. Wants it to feel like "homecoming" for SF II fans.

-Online play is planned

- runs in 60FPS

--The look is not really similiar to the teaser trailer. A "cartoon-shaded style that manages to evoke SF II reimagined in 3d"

- Gameplay sticking with 2D- Ono wants to "preserve the strategic nature of SF II"

-camera doesn't budge

- Trying to get "as many SFII characters in as possible"

- Takes place after SFII Turbo and before SF III

-Controls are traditional- "in its current early state, the game feels remarkably close to Super SFII Turbo"

- Game is more aggressive- more about attacking than defending. Many of the SF III and Alpha gameplay systems have been scrapped.

Bad:

-...with potential for microtransactions such as new characters and stages

- Producer says they haven't decided what platforms or even if there will be an arcade version. Version Shane played was running on a P.C

- Ono suggests Capcom could make a PS2 or DS version if "they deem the market suitable"

-Ono not enthusiastic about making it an exclusive- wants to get it out on as many platforms as possible

Ryu

Darkman M said:
I hope they didn't scrap parrying.....

Pretty sure they did.

"- Game is more aggressive- more about attacking than defending. Many of the SF III and Alpha gameplay systems have been scrapped."

harSon

Banned
schuelma said:
Next Month

Smash Brothers "blow out'

Previews of: GTA IV, Alan Wake, Killzone 2, FF 13, Wii Fit. Fable 2, Samba Di Amigo, God of War PSP

Reviews: DMC4, NFL Tour, Endless Ocean, Burnout, Rygar

Are these previews going to be indepth previews with new details and or screenshots? Or repackaging of known information and screenshots?

Gigglepoo

PepsimanVsJoe said:
SF3 was great because of how different it was.

Exactly. Street Fighter has always been really good at making their different spin-offs/sequels completely unique. Even a novice can tell the difference between Street Fighter II, Alpha, Vs. and III. I hope IV is more interesting than the original information leads me to believe.

schuelma

Ryu said:
Pretty sure they did.

"Even though you and I may have enjoyed the parries in SF 3, we're fighting game maniacs. SF 3 wasn't that popular, so a lot of players aren't really familiar with that system, and that might present an unnecessary hurfle for players who haven't been into fighters for a while"

-Rogue5-

Seeing Assassin's Creed getting a 7, 6, and 4.5 actually makes me appreciated Gamespot selling out. I mean at least GS had an excuse for not giving the game an amazing score (e.g. Ubisoft didn't pay them enough.) EGM's got no excuse -- the game is NOT a 4.5 by any stretch of the imagination... I can't imagine what could have caused the person to temporarily lose their mind (and reason.) Like the 7s were controversial, but 4.5 is a slap in the face, especially when EGM so loosely throws around much higher score to much crappier games.

Who scored it? I want names to avoid (and make fun of.)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Speevy said:
If Nintendo cancelled AC, I'm going to kill them.

Nintendo didn't cancel AC..

If anything wasn't going the way they wanted on such a close project, they'd simply force the change. The developers work for them, not against them.

Which also makes it difficult to believe that this would happen among any of their first party studios...but if it were to happen, it wouldn't be with any of the internal japanese teams, I'm sure.

schuelma

-Rogue5- said:
Seeing Assassin's Creed getting a 7, 6, and 4.5 actually makes me appreciated Gamespot selling out. I mean at least GS had an excuse for not giving the game an amazing score (e.g. Ubisoft didn't pay them enough.) EGM's got no excuse -- the game is NOT a 4.5 by any stretch of the imagination... I can't imagine what had cause the person to temporarily lose their mind and reason. Like the 7s were controversial, but 4.5 is a slap in the face, especially when EGM so loosely throws around much higher score to much crappier games.

Who scored it? I want names to avoid (and make fun of.)

7- Michael, 6- Andrew, 4.5- Crispin

Salazar

I may as well hand over the money for a Warhammer action game now. Finally, someone does it officially instead of just lifting the art.

ant1532

Banned
Loving the SMG scores and NiGHTS didn't score as bad as I thought!

Also Loving the news on SF4 about the camera not moving at all. My hope is building back up.

Top Bottom