• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM, January 08 (Galaxy, NiGHTS, AC, Rock Band reviewed)

schuelma said:
"Even though you and I may have enjoyed the parries in SF 3, we're fighting game maniacs. SF 3 wasn't that popular, so a lot of players aren't really familiar with that system, and that might present an unnecessary hurfle for players who haven't been into fighters for a while"

Translation: "SFIII didn't sell, and parrying took too much skill. So we're dumbing down the game."

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
schuelma said:
Next Month

Smash Brothers "blow out'

Previews of: GTA IV, Alan Wake, Killzone 2, FF 13, Wii Fit. Fable 2, Samba Di Amigo, God of War PSP

Reviews: DMC4, NFL Tour, Endless Ocean, Burnout, Rygar

Awesome if we get some info on Alan Wake and FF XIII...those two games are mysteries right now. I wont get my hopes up for SSBB, its probably just stuff from the site.

_leech_ said:
Battle for Game of the Month begins.

The DMC footage from Friday's 1up Show looked really, really good [the in-game footage anyway; the cutscenes were 7th grade goth shit]. DMC4 had slipped off my radar, but I'm very interested in it now.

Quazar

ethelred said:
Yum. I'm fully on board this. Best thing of all, there's no possible way a Front Mission game could be released on the 360 of all consoles and not get localized. Hopefully it's a real Front Mission game, though, and not a Armored Core-styled spinoff or a FMO game.

No shit.

Why not a FM with online/multiplayer?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Tecmo Bowl listed as coming for 360/PS3, Summer 08 release date
w00000000000t! I guess the unexpected platform was the PS3? But then Tecmo realized how stupid it'd be to make it PS3 exclusive? :lol

Next Month

Smash Brothers "blow out'

Previews of: GTA IV, Alan Wake, Killzone 2, FF 13, Wii Fit. Fable 2, Samba Di Amigo, God of War PSP

Reviews: DMC4, NFL Tour, Endless Ocean, Burnout, Rygar
Nice!

Ryu

schuelma said:
"Even though you and I may have enjoyed the parries in SF 3, we're fighting game maniacs. SF 3 wasn't that popular, so a lot of players aren't really familiar with that system, and that might present an unnecessary hurfle for players who haven't been into fighters for a while"

Yeah. :( Makes me a sad panda, but it's over a year away. I'll wait till I can see it in motion and play it before passing judgment. However, it did take 3 versions of SFIII before it really became the beloved game we all now know and love.

SPEA

schuelma said:
Next month
Oh. I know, I realize that. That came out wrong. It's just been so long since I've heard anything on the game and it's easily my most anticipated of 08'. I was surprised to see that actual info may be coming out.

Grecco

Speevy said:
If Nintendo cancelled AC, I'm going to kill them.

Cancel a Wii version of one of their best selling franchises in Japan.

Why in heavens would they do this?

Again its probably Project Hammer or Excite Truck 2 :(

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Xisiqomelir said:
Someone please tell me who those reviewers were so I can forever discount their opinions.

EDIT:

Good:

Bad:

Why is it bad that he doesn't want to make SF4 an exclusive?

orio7

Banned
MoxManiac said:
WTF at an exclusive Front Mission for 360?

S-E's been talking highly about 360 for a while and FM is certainly the safest bet as far as a 360 exclusive of a S-E franchise goes.

ethelred

Quazar said:
Why not a FM with online/multiplayer?

Because Front Mission Online was not a real Front Mission game. I have zero interest in a silly multiplayer spinoff. I want a real Front Mission game (ie, Front Mission 6). Pure turn-based strategy.

Grecco

Gigglepoo said:
Mii customization in ET2?

Probably for avatars, like that fake ET2 screens that had your mii next to your pole position. Makes some sense i guess.

Canceling AC because of customizaiton doesnt make much sence seing as how previous ACs have had customization anyways. Plus the Miis dont gel with the AC art anyways. So i reeeeally doubt it. Wouldnt make much sense at all

X26

Banned
Dartastic said:
And there are too many things that they did poorly as well. Remember, 4.5 is barely below average. They're not saying it's BAD, but they're saying it's slightly below average. That being said, I don't agree with the score either. I'm playing through it right now, and I'm of the feeling that the 6.5 range is right about there. It's just too monotonous.

No, a 4.5 isn't "slightly below average" whe nit coems to EGM/1UP as they don't use the entire scale like say EDGE. The way they (EGM/1UP) review things 7 is the average if anything.

Xisiqomelir

Fatghost said:
Why is it bad that he doesn't want to make SF4 an exclusive?

Looking at the previous gen's mass-ported FGs, only one version gets to be arcade-perfect, and the others get goofy-mode extras. Rather than assume that things will improve, I assume they will remain the same.

Although, if there turns out to be no arcade version whatsoever, I suppose that won't matter as much.

Fro

Activision is making 2 Bond games, so Bizarre is only one of the studios working on it.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=30391

Amazingly, I actually got EGM in the mail right after the info was posted on GAF. :lol It usually is about 2 weeks later.

The impression I got is that SFIV is definitely coming to all platforms. The guy in charge was talking about how he wanted people who were lapsed gamers who played SF II on SNES/Genesis to play this game.

Xisiqomelir said:
Looking at the previous gen's mass-ported FGs, only one version gets to be arcade-perfect, and the others get goofy-mode extras. Rather than assume that things will improve, I assume they will remain the same.

Although, if there turns out to be no arcade version whatsoever, I suppose that won't matter as much.
Doesn't there need to be an actual original arcade version to use the term arcade perfect port?

Druz

-Rogue5- said:
NOoooooooo.... Crispin, why have you forsaken us? Looks like batman sound effects can't save you from incredibly bad judgment.

It will never dawn on Rogue that perhaps he has bad judgement

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Krowley said:
I tried assassins creed saturday night, and there may be serious problems with it, but I think it probably deserves at least an 8 just for being so slickly made and good looking.
This is what's wrong with this industry.
skip said:
we'll get started on the next issue of Production Value Monthly.
Heh.
Clipjoint said:
So your implication is that the game part of Assassin's Creed was torture to get through?
The time where a game that is a torture to go through would still yield a mediocre rating is thankfully about 10 years past now. So obviously that is not the case with AC.

I might consider eating a mushroom if there is any new info on FFXIII at all next month...

They just realise the game is a huge draw, so they will include a rehashing preview to draw in some peeps

tino

Banned
Clipjoint said:
I don't understand how anyone could give Assassin's Creed a 4.5

There is too much they did well in that game to justify that score.

That's what you get for giving the gamer an excel spread sheet as the ending. I would give it a 5, or a 6, in that neighborhood.

Xisiqomelir

MickeyKnox said:
Doesn't there need to be an actual original arcade version to use the term arcade perfect port?

Don't you need to read my whole post before you quote and reply to it?

<3

I'll take my SFIV whining to the established threat. AC has a lot of poor elements, but I don't think ist 4.5 bad. Great scores for Galaxy.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
I think you're mistaken. Toshiro Tsuchida was the director of Front Mission, back when he was still at G-Craft. He designed and thought up the series before making his Arc the Lad games. He also directed Front Mission 2, 3, and 4.
Oh ok, but he didn't direct 5 though, right? So a FM6 should be fine with him as producer?

Grecco said:

Nah that's by Monster Games, if this laughable rumour is true then it would be an internal team who has been tasked with working on Wii firmware upgrades and the SDK.

" - Takes place after SFII Turbo and before SF III "

FUCKING BULLSHIT i have to wait another 10 years before i can play with an upgraded sean? FUCKING BULLSHIT!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
X26 said:
No, a 4.5 isn't "slightly below average" whe nit coems to EGM/1UP as they don't use the entire scale like say EDGE. The way they (EGM/1UP) review things 7 is the average if anything.
Coulda sworn their reviews scale goes from 1 to 10. At least, it does in the copy of EGM sitting on my desk. Perhaps you have a different one.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ryu said:
Yeah. :( Makes me a sad panda, but it's over a year away. I'll wait till I can see it in motion and play it before passing judgment. However, it did take 3 versions of SFIII before it really became the beloved game we all now know and love.
Xisiqomelir said:
EDIT: Wrong info posted, I stand corrected.

Junior Asparagus said:
"And then there's the issue of what platform(s) the game will end up on, which at this point Capcom is keeping close to its chest (if you search 1UP's database, you'll find listings for arcade, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, but those are just guesses based on the graphical quality)."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164756

DrBo42

AltogetherAndrews said:
Sounds about right, although it all comes down to the justification.

It is broken.

It's not that broken.

Weren't there rumors of Pandemic working on a Batman game in the Begins universe? Anyone know anything about that? Fuck Lego Batman.

Mize

AltogetherAndrews said:
Sounds about right, although it all comes down to the justification.

It is broken.

When does it break? Seriously, I'm 3.5-4 hours in with no freezing or problems. Fun game.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Oh one more addition to the rumors- PS3 will be getting an unannounced Square sequel exclusively.

Grecco said:

But i dont really understand what they're trying to say, a game was cancelled because someone wanted to alter mii options?

rage1973 said:
EGM is retarded for giving AC a 4.5 and less than 6 average.
It may not be GOY but it's still a quality game deserving of an 8.

And people are retarded for not being able to grasp the concept of differing opinions. It's amazing to me that this forum can run a boycott over the whole Gertsmann thing and allow clusterfuck threads like this which are what drive the mindset that got him fired in the first place.

Speevy

Banned
EGM is fairly harsh on games unless the game is

A) High profile Xbox 360 game (and no, I'm not calling conspiracy, just trends)

or

B) One of the big holiday games

Generally though they're not afraid to hand out 4s, 5s, and 6s.

Quazar

ethelred said:
Because Front Mission Online was not a real Front Mission game. I have zero interest in a silly multiplayer spinoff. I want a real Front Mission game (ie, Front Mission 6). Pure turn-based strategy.

I don't know man, I'd like to see them pull off both SP & online. Not talking about a spinoff or another FMO.

Anyways, didn't EGM run this FM rumor a year ago in different wording?

DrBo42

Ninja Scooter said:
And people are retarded for not being able to grasp the concept of differing opinions. It's amazing to me that this forum can run a boycott over the whole Gertsmann thing and allow clusterfuck threads like this which are what drive the mindset that got him fired in the first place.

I understand what you're saying but there's a difference between a game that has some poor design choices with a lot of redeeming elements, and a complete pile of shit. AC is no pile of shit and should not be scored as such. K&L is indeed a pile of shit and was scored pretty generously by Gerst IMO.

Draft

_leech_ said:
Translation: "SFIII didn't sell, and parrying took too much skill. So we're dumbing down the game."
Could be. And you know, I had this same opinion when I first read the leaked news. But consider this...

Sometimes, removing a feature isn't a bad thing. Sometimes, simplicity trumps variety. The example I would offer up is Quake 3 Arena vs. Unreal Tournament. On a feature for feature basis, UT absolutely kills Q3A. It's not even a contest. Every UT weapon had two modes of fire to Q3A's one. UT had dodges, Q3A did not. UT had gametypes out the wazoo, Q3A had DM and CTF. In all respects, UT simply out featured Q3A. And yet, there are many who would tell you that Q3A was a better game, because its core mechanics, the system of movement and shooting and the weapon balance, was perfect. The simple design trumped the complex one, by virtue of doing what it chose to do perfectly.

Are parries awesome? Of course, watch the Daigo video and try to argue otherwise. Is it unfortunate that they're gone? Arguably so, as they definitely add to the SF system. Is a SF without parries automatically less in-depth than one with parries? I would say no, not automatically. Depth can come from all sorts of places. It's not dependent on feature X or Y.

edit: AC is clearly review proof, so this 4.5 is a tempest in a teapot. It's the proverbial C-.

Top Bottom