• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 4 Screenshots (Grunt new design revealed)

So you can see more of the terrain and sky ahead, and less of the ground at your feet, when centered.

Thats what i always figured. Halo has flying vehicles and high platforms. I think they want us to have more peripheral vision of the sky as opposed to dividing the vast sky and ground 50-50

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
But how do they keep the rest of what's in the atmosphere from going in from their mouths? Don't breathe? (Speculation: Maybe their bodies are able to process it out as long as they have the methane?). A lot of the little details seemed to have a lot of attention to them which is something I appreciate, and I just hope it continues or gets explained.

Maybe their noses and mouths don't link up?

CGW8n.jpg
This is so crazy. It makes me feel like Halo CE made me feel stepping out of the bumble bee for the first time.

PnCIa

I'm not the only one that gets bothered by that? Seriously, it's something that's weird to readjust to since every other FPS ever for all time uses the center. As far as I know it had something to do with weapon placement and shot alignment in Halo 2 and it's been held over since.
No you are not, i already mentioned this before...and its still, ahm, stupid in my opinion. I don´t see them changing it though :(
Halo Anniversary felt so good because the crosshair was in the screens center.

I said 'wow'

CGW8n.jpg

This is seriously amazing. It seems that 343 'get' what made Halo CE so engaging, despite limited environment types... a sense of scale and mystery.

Things like cortana commenting on the weather with no explanation... and the huge forerunner monoliths firing energy across to the other side of the ring.

I am officially hyped.

Can 343 undo the damage done by ODST and, albeit to a much lesser extent, Reach?

Trying to pretend I won't buy another 360 for this, but if it lives up to the early screens and art, I am SO FUCKING THERE.

Gui_PT

By damage, do you mean improvements? Because ODST was awesome... except for that damn red screen when you have low health

I hope not, because ODST was fantastic, probably bungie's best halo game since CE and my personal favorite overall.

Personal taste I guess.

The levels were great, but the city hub was boring and the graphics sucked.

It's my least favourite Halo. We're all different though :)

I should probably add that every Halo other than CE has been a slight let down for me. I really want them to capture the campaign feel of CE - which is probably my fave game of all time.

I said 'wow'

CGW8n.jpg

This is seriously amazing. It seems that 343 'get' what made Halo CE so engaging, despite limited environment types... a sense of scale and mystery.

Things like cortana commenting on the weather with no explanation... and the huge forerunner monoliths firing energy across to the other side of the ring.

I am officially hyped.

Can 343 undo the damage done by ODST and, albeit to a much lesser extent, Reach?

Trying to pretend I won't buy another 360 for this, but if it lives up to the early screens and art, I am SO FUCKING THERE.

Uh, ODST is the 2nd best Halo, yo.

also, that piece of artwork is mesmerizing. I couldn't be more excited for this game.

By damage, do you mean improvements? Because ODST was awesome... except for that damn red screen when you have low health

Terrible thing to add to a halo game, if that wasn't bad enough the slowly maddening beep, beep, beep further added to the misery.

Guys it's just my opinion. I'm not really interested in all the reasons why someone else might think differently. As a stated above, we're all different and take different things away from different games. No need to jump to ODST's defence just because someone happens to not like it as much as you. Halo is, for good reason, one of the biggest franchises in gaming today. Period.

Just like Zelda, and many other series, there will always be people who like certain games more than others.... there's no right or wrong answer, it's purely your personal taste and expectations at work.

This isn't a thread to debate the standing of the various games in the series.

Anyway, on with the hype.

Or alternatively you could selectively quote me and have a nice old fashioned round of tit for tat pedantry.

monome

These are the one's I haven't seen posted before, apologies if some are old. The most interesting one is the picture including the giant silver ship-like object that is of forerunner origin.
http://i.imgur.com/p91WQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CGW8n.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lon5b.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GAmG6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dqfzM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EwbeJ.jpg

gracias!
theses are the until now pirated scans we got already.

Hopedthe blue shields guys were Forerunners but it's prety much confirmed to be the new Kig-yars.

GhaleonEB

I liked, no, loved those drones!

Come at me bro.
Shield drones with Tilt on....god that was the stuff of nightmares.

Guys it's just my opinion. I'm not really interested in all the reasons why someone else might think differently.
It's just an opinion, true, but when you make a statement wondering whether a game can undo the "damage" done by another, and that game is beloved by many, you should expect a reaction.

I do think Reach did the series damage, in particular on the MP front. Halo 4 really needs to restore much to the series that went awry with Reach.

szaromir

Banned
Yeah, looks fine. I am sure there are different areas that look like that.

Why would there be many areas like that? There's only part of the ship and it wasn't big in the first place. The rest of the game is going to take place in forerunner environments (unless other humans arrive there).

It's exactly the same are in the artwork and in the screenshot.

Campaign was okay, but coming from ODST it wasn't as strong. The real reason is the complete nosedive that multiplayer took, and Firefight was better implemented in ODST despite lacking matchmaking. Between AAs, nerfed movement, bloom, poor maps (including all the Forge World stuff in matchmaking), loadouts, and the inconsistent way the settings were handled in matchmaking-- not to mention the more minute details like the vehicle handling, the nuke grenades, the lack of proper camo/OS powerups. There were a lot of things that Reach was a massive step down from what came before it. Also I wasn't too fond of the more muted palette and grain filter on everything, I really can't stand to look at it for too long.

Why would there be many areas like that? There's only part of the ship and it wasn't big in the first place. The rest of the game is going to take place in forerunner environments (unless other humans arrive there).

It's exactly the same are in the artwork and in the screenshot.

It looks like cryo chambers, there would be 1 for every crewman, not about 16.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Nah, son. The IQ wasn't the best, but the lighting is still top notch.

halo-3-odst-20090916032339010.jpg

Even like five years later I'm still not entirely clear what people think is special about Halo 3's lighting. Is it just the high precision HDR?

derFeef

Artwork often is made to create the feel/look they are trying to get. Nothing gets translated 100 percent.

Also this. Pretty rare even that the layout of an area is getting translated almost exactly like on this example. (layout, not final art).

I really love the current engine they're using (H4), but damn if I'm not excited and freaking ready to see Halo next gen, hopefully in a brand new engine.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Campaign was okay, but coming from ODST it wasn't as strong. The real reason is the complete nosedive that multiplayer took, and Firefight was better implemented in ODST despite lacking matchmaking. Between AAs, nerfed movement, bloom, poor maps (including all the Forge World stuff in matchmaking), loadouts, and the inconsistent way the settings were handled in matchmaking-- not to mention the more minute details like the vehicle handling, the nuke grenades, the lack of proper camo/OS powerups. There were a lot of things that Reach was a massive step down from what came before it. Also I wasn't too fond of the more muted palette and grain filter on everything, I really can't stand to look at it for too long.

I see, thanks for explaining.

I see, thanks for explaining.
Even still, I could go on and on, like the goofy vehicle stuff like the bugged aim-assist on the Revenant passenger seat that practically gives you auto-aim with the sniper rifle. Or how busted the Banshee is with its constant twirling and nuking, or the bug that randomly causes Covenant vehicles to instantly accelerate out of control and either slam into a wall at mach speeds destroying it instantly or flying into the atmosphere.

Really the Halo thread in Community is only so active because of the myriad of ways people can continue to complain about Reach.

Even still, I could go on and on, like the goofy vehicle stuff like the bugged aim-assist on the Revenant passenger seat that practically gives you auto-aim with the sniper rifle. Or how busted the Banshee is with its constant twirling and nuking, or the bug that randomly causes Covenant vehicles to instantly accelerate out of control and either slam into a wall at mach speeds destroying it instantly or flying into the atmosphere.

Really the Halo thread in Community is only so active because of the myriad of ways people can continue to complain about Reach.

I only played Reach multi for a few months but I have to say I never experienced any of those bugs. Sucks I guess.

The AI for driving vehicles in Halo is one of the worst I've ever seen. I cannot even count the number of times Kat drove off a cliff or got stuck on a rock in Reach.
Well, the AI driving was pretty good in ODST/Halo 3.
UNSC soldiers in those concepts? Hmm, I thought chief and cortana are really abandoned :/
You can't operate a Warthog without Marines, dude. :p Vehicle battles need AI buddies.
Can 343 undo the damage done by ODST...
Heresy!

Top Bottom