• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 4 Screenshots (Grunt new design revealed)

GhaleonEB

So what happened to no unlocking weapons? Why do I have to unlock a BR? Thought they said no to this. Disappointed if true.

Every map/gametype combo will have a suitable default load out (DMR/magnum and a suitable armor ability on BTB maps, for example). However, you can customize your own load out with other weapons and armor abilities you have unlocked (so swap that DMR for a BR, or carbine, or whatever). No power weapons in custom load outs.

Every map/gametype combo will have a suitable default load out (DMR/magnum and a suitable armor ability on BTB maps, for example). However, you can customize your own load out with other weapons and armor abilities you have unlocked (so swap that DMR for a BR, or carbine, or whatever). No power weapons in custom load outs.

I know power weapons will not be in custom loadout. but I thought we didn't have to unlock weapons at all for vs. multiplayer. I assume if there was an unlocking of weapons it was for spartan ops which makes sense to me.

Why do I have to unlock a BR. It should just be a standard loadout. I don't know how they are handling things, but i would hate because I don't play as much I will get owned by people with a BR because I haven't earned enough crediits to buy a BR.

GhaleonEB

I know power weapons will not be in custom loadout. but I thought we didn't have to unlock weapons at all for vs. multiplayer. I assume if there was an unlocking of weapons it was for spartan ops which makes sense to me.

Why do I have to unlock a BR. It should just be a standard loadout. I don't know how they are handling things, but i would hate because I don't play as much I will get owned by people with a BR because I haven't earned enough crediits to buy a BR.

I don't disagree.

You unlock them because people like unlocking things and now Halo will feature unlocking weapons. So long as the default load outs are suitable, it shouldn't be a big issue and the unlocks will be more about people shaping their load outs to their play style. But I'd still rather just have everything available.

The good news in all that is the credits you earn to unlock weapons is universal across modes; I'll be playing Campaign and Spartan Ops until I've got what I want in MP.

Thoraxes

Man after reading the Forerunner novels, I think I have a really good idea where the story is going to go in Halo 4, not to mention l think I know what's going on with the Infinity too.

Havok

I don't disagree.

You unlock them because people like unlocking things and now Halo will feature unlocking weapons. So long as the default load outs are suitable, it shouldn't be a big issue and the unlocks will be more about people shaping their load outs to their play style. But I'd still rather just have everything available.

The good news in all that is the credits you earn to unlock weapons is universal across modes; I'll be playing Campaign and Spartan Ops until I've got what I want in MP.
I think the real bright side to the unlock system, however wary I still am of it, is that poor playlist management is much less of a factor now. We don't have to wait months to get a precision loadout on maps where it makes sense (or ones that they think it wouldn't fit). If this lets them focus on getting gametype and map weightings and object/weapon drop placement right more quickly, then I'll accept whatever needs to happen.

GhaleonEB

I think the real bright side to the unlock system, however wary I still am of it, is that poor playlist management is much less of a factor now. We don't have to wait months to get a precision loadout on maps where it makes sense (or ones that they think it wouldn't fit). If this lets them focus on getting gametype and map weightings and object/weapon drop placement right more quickly, then I'll accept whatever needs to happen.

That's a good point. The load out management will be limited to the default, which most people won't be using after a short time anyways, and matchmaking support resources will be more focused, hopefully.

Plus, I hopefully won't have to go postal on guys that steal my plasma pistol in BTB games. I can has my own.

That's a good point. The load out management will be limited to the default, which most people won't be using after a short time anyways, and matchmaking support resources will be more focused, hopefully.

Plus, I hopefully won't have to go postal on guys that steal my plasma pistol in BTB games. I can has my own.
That wouldn't be good. Especially if plasma pistols have the vehicle stun effect in Halo 4. Vehicle combat would be ruined pretty much.

Striker

That wouldn't be good. Especially if plasma pistols have the vehicle stun effect in Halo 4. Vehicle combat would be ruined pretty much.
Yeah, I can't really see them putting a Plasma Pistol as a secondary option, especially in BTB. But we've been stricken with awful decisions in the past. I would have assumed the secondary in things like BTB being Pistol or Assault Carbine. Would have said AR, but as they keep stating how powerful it is up close, I'm not sure that will be readily available. Who knows.

And the DMR being the premier BTB weapon has me wary if its continued to be 3x. Even if it is a slower shooter than a BR, cross mapping would still be applicable in this situation.

Apparently not paying attention. Might not actually buy this, AAs are just stupid.
If they're appropriately adjusted, I'm up to seeing how they're programmed. Camo was easily one of my most hated AA's in Reach, so I'm not upbeat about that return.

tuxor

Neo Member
If they're appropriately adjusted, I'm up to seeing how they're programmed. Camo was easily one of my most hated AA's in Reach, so I'm not upbeat about that return.

True, I suppose it's too early to really judge, my main beef is really just armor lock and camo, completely changed
ruined
that classic halo pace.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Camo didnt change shit, people just didnt like it cause they got owned when facing it.

camo allowed you invisibility to camo snipe. camo allowed you invisibility to escape battles. camo allowed you invisibility to chose when to engage an enemy that didnt know you were present.

inexplicably, camo also screwed up enemy motion trackers completely axing a key component to halo's gameplay. camo also screwed up teammate motion trackers completely axing a key component to halo's gameplay.

camo had two MAJOR effects on encounters; invis and disabling motion trackers. it was over-powered, cheap, and frustrating when the enemy or a teammate used it.

IF camo returns in halo 4 i hope its greatly changed. maybe have only the users motion tracker be scrambled while everyone else sees some sort of effect of the camo on the tracker to inform that a user is nearby without destroying the usefulness of the motion tracker entirely. personally, i'd also like to see a slight reduction in transparency, or some sort of predator-like light shift that makes someone holding still in camo slightly more visable to counter the counter snipers.

Zeal

Banned
It's honestly quite easy to see people with camo on, so I don't know the problem. Camo has always been a part of Halo and always should be. It's just Halo.

Nothing is more satisfying that sticking a plasma grenade on a cloaked player's head.

DD-11

How about getting rid of the idiotic motion tracker? Maybe then people would play Halo instead of throwing grenades at red dots for the whole round.

camo allowed you invisibility to camo snipe. camo allowed you invisibility to escape battles. camo allowed you invisibility to chose when to engage an enemy that didnt know you were present.

inexplicably, camo also screwed up enemy motion trackers completely axing a key component to halo's gameplay. camo also screwed up teammate motion trackers completely axing a key component to halo's gameplay.

camo had two MAJOR effects on encounters; invis and disabling motion trackers. it was over-powered, cheap, and frustrating when the enemy or a teammate used it.

IF camo returns in halo 4 i hope its greatly changed. maybe have only the users motion tracker be scrambled while everyone else sees some sort of effect of the camo on the tracker to inform that a user is nearby without destroying the usefulness of the motion tracker entirely. personally, i'd also like to see a slight reduction in transparency, or some sort of predator-like light shift that makes someone holding still in camo slightly more visable to counter the counter snipers.

The invisibility power-up in Halo 1 did all those things as well, expect the radar jammer which was actually a disadvantage cause people know youre there when it happens.

op_ivy

The invisibility power-up in Halo 1 did all those things as well, expect the radar jammer which was actually a disadvantage cause people know youre there when it happens.

the radar jammer was supposed to be a disadvantage, and i admit for the user it is, but its also an advantage over others and also a disadvantage to your teammates. not sure how anyone can defend how camo/jammer works in reach...

the radar jammer was supposed to be a disadvantage, and i admit for the user it is, but its also an advantage over others and also a disadvantage to your teammates. not sure how anyone can defend how camo/jammer works in reach...

Please tell me youre joking when you say you want to be able to see the invisible guy...

Bryant

Yes, in objective games, camo and shotty absolutely. Not my fault others cant use it.

You are the worst type of person. If I knew you in real life I would smash your Reach disc while screaming "NO"

Also, its worth pointing out that in other halo games running while camo makes you show up on radar. Sure reach scrambles the radar, but that can actually be seen as an advantage for the camo user.

op_ivy

Please tell me youre joking when you say you want to be able to see the invisible guy...

maybe its just me, or my tv, but camo in reach is 100% invisible. it wasnt like that in previous halos, and i dont think it needs to be. if i know there is a camo sniper and i am specifically looking for him, i dont think its unreasonable to be able to *possibly* make him out, even if he is holding still. IMO, camo should be to make you difficult to spot, not impossible.

but, thats not my major beef with camo in reach, its the compounded benefits/annoyances of camo + jammer.

Gui_PT

Halo honor? Fuck Halo honor. Its called DEFENSE.

I was kidding, but in all honesty, it's that kind of though that makes this game unplayable online.

People that abuse the bad choices made by the devs.

I remember a while ago, playing with a full party of gaffers where I rolled only with camo and shotgun. I felt so dirty afterwards, I had to take a shower.

I think Xand and Elzar were on the opposite team. Forgive me for what I have done.

Top Bottom