• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 4 Screenshots (Grunt new design revealed)

.la1n

Concept art is fantastic, hope it shows through in the final product. I guess I am alone in thinking Reach had a great campaign, perhaps I need to replay it. ODST was fantastic as well.

Was this discussed before? These two pictures seem to be Spartan Ops related:
tumblr_m2tyycG7W21r4dwtko3_r1_1280.jpg
Hub?
Could be wrong but it looks more like a, trying to maneuver the ship to get away from the invaders.

-PXG-

I said 'wow'

CGW8n.jpg

This is seriously amazing. It seems that 343 'get' what made Halo CE so engaging, despite limited environment types... a sense of scale and mystery.

Things like cortana commenting on the weather with no explanation... and the huge forerunner monoliths firing energy across to the other side of the ring.

I am officially hyped.

Can 343 undo the damage done by ODST and, albeit to a much lesser extent, Reach?

Trying to pretend I won't buy another 360 for this, but if it lives up to the early screens and art, I am SO FUCKING THERE.

whoa whoa whoooooa

You're talking shit about my ODST?

Sydle

It's looking very nice (can't believe this is on such old hardware) and the concept art above is exciting (what's in that big container?!). This is now my most anticipated game of the year.

Hub?

Same picture was in the Gameinformer video.

The video notes three things too:
- Missions will take place outside of Infiity;
- You will "explore the galaxy";
- Visit new locations;
- Key characters will be introduced;
- Full campaign in size.
No. The first one is no Spartan Ops artwork. Do you not see the Chief, the opening to the Shield World Requiem? It is even tagged as halo4_environment-campaign-02. You did better jobs, Oddone. You did better jobs...

KageMaru

So you can see more of the terrain and sky ahead, and less of the ground at your feet, when centered.

I always thought it was because he's wearing a helmet and bungie wanted to reflect that in how the crosshair is positioned. This is better communicated in halo 4 since we can see parts of the helmet now. Also the crosshair would be correctly centered when in 3rd person view where you're not viewing the world in a helmet.

While that art was already released it once again has me pumped to see the environments in Halo 4.. I really suspect the game will have some stunning settings if the concept art is realized.. And I suspect they will be judging by how visceral the art assets are that have been released thus far.

EvB

I really love the current engine they're using (H4), but damn if I'm not excited and freaking ready to see Halo next gen, hopefully in a brand new engine.

I don't think they would ever rewrite the entire engine without using the old one as reference.

Loads of people seem to have something against the Halo Engines, it has to pull off some crazy shit, then it has to do the same in split screen! I think being free from the Shankles of Split would allow/allowed Bungie/343 to push the graphics further.

Call of Duty Series is using a heavily Modified version of the quake 1 engine as does the Source engine

Crytek are using a newer version of Cryengine 1 from FarCry for Crysis 3

Unreal is on version 3 of the "Same Engine".

I don't see why Bungie/343 doesn't seem to be allowed by teh internets to do the same thing. And that refining/optimising/rewriting The precious engine equates to exactly the same as what everyone else does.

Maybe they need to name the engine and call it Spartan Engine 4.0 or something so people are more accepting.

GhaleonEB

I always thought it was because he's wearing a helmet and bungie wanted to reflect that in how the crosshair is positioned. This is better communicated in halo 4 since we can see parts of the helmet now. Also the crosshair would be correctly centered when in 3rd person view where you're not viewing the world in a helmet.

Makes sense; I think it's probably a mix of them. I really dig the subtle HUD movement from what we've seen.

I don't think they would ever rewrite the entire engine without using the old one as reference.

Loads of people seem to have something against the Halo Engines, it has to pull off some crazy shit, then it has to do the same in split screen! I think being free from the Shankles of Split would allow/allowed Bungie/343 to push the graphics further.

The fucking LOD.
I hate the moving forward and seeing 'nothing' then 'some dots' then 'the thing'.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
The fucking LOD.
I hate the moving forward and seeing 'nothing' then 'some dots' then 'the thing'.

The LoD in Halo CE was amazing.

I still remember that first bridge on Assault on the Control Center, seeing a Pelican come in from overhead and drop off troops hundreds of feet below, and you could actually see them fighting and interacting.

It was one of the most impressive moments in the game IMO.

Can 343 undo the damage done by ODST and, albeit to a much lesser extent, Reach?
ODST and Reach? PLEASE damage the series more.

Makes sense; I think it's probably a mix of them. I really dig the subtle HUD movement from what we've seen.
That's another thing I've wanted from Halo for a while now although others might find it too distracting. But that feeling of being *inside* a suit and not just a floating cross-hair, and to have some sense of momentum and weight.

Basically what Need for Speed: Shift did with their "helmet cam", only applied to different genres. Subtle is fine though.

EvB

The fucking LOD.

That isn't the engine though, that will be a designed decision to use that specific kind of Level of Detail fade in, I'd of thought.
Maybe it's more efficient than having it fade in nicely and not as severe as it just popping?

Maybe the new engine they have addressed that and have found a more modern way of doing it.

The LoD in Halo CE was amazing.

I still remember that first bridge on Assault on the Control Center, seeing a Pelican come in from overhead and drop off troops hundreds of feet below, and you could actually see them fighting and interacting.

It was one of the most impressive moments in the game IMO.

I'd rather have a less good looking game all the time then an amazing game with annoying graphical ticks.

The bit you mentioned from AoCR being a fantastic example of how consistency can give everything a great sense of weight and solidness.

That isn't the engine though, that will be a designed decision to use that specific kind of Level of Detail fade in, I'd of thought.
Maybe it's more efficient than having it fade in nicely and not as severe as it just popping?

Maybe the new engine they have addressed that and have found a more modern way of doing it.

It's a trade off I don't like, the popping while not perfect is something I prefer.

Stantron

I'm super late to this thread, but why would a grunt design his helmet so that a tube blocks a good portion of vision on his left eye when it could just as easily have been routed another way around? Seems kinda silly.

Gui_PT

I'm super late to this thread, but why would a grunt design his helmet so that a tube blocks a good portion of vision on his left eye when it could just as easily have been routed another way around? Seems kinda silly.

Yeah they should've made the tube go underneath his butt and up to his nose

GhaleonEB

Hub?

Same picture was in the Gameinformer video.

The video notes three things too:
- Missions will take place outside of Infiity;
- You will "explore the galaxy";
- Visit new locations;
- Key characters will be introduced;
- Full campaign in size.

I think both of those pics are of the interior of the Infinity, one Spartan Ops one Campaign (as was pointed out, the Chief).

I would pay a high price for new episodes to play co-op with my friends every week.

Yup, assuming 'season 1' of spartan ops is good, I really hope they put out some DLC for it. The entire idea of it really sounds incredibly fun, and I also like how it will continue to allow story discussion week by week.

Vire

Are the Spartan Ops missions going to be intricate missions with voice acting and all that or is it just stick you in a warehouse, kill all the enemies and then you get a short video at the end that is loosely related?

Pollux

Are the Spartan Ops missions going to be intricate missions with voice acting and all that or is it just stick you in a warehouse, kill all the enemies and then you get a short video at the end that is loosely related?

You mean are they going to be like the N7 missions from ME3 or actual missions?

TheOddOne

In the Gameinformer video they say it's a "whole seperate campaign". Mostly we have vague details up till now, so no concrete info.

The did however give us a little more info in the latest sparkast:
Spartan Ops:
  • Spartan Ops is integral to single- and multiplayer. They say if you’re a fan of Firefight, then you will love Spartan Ops.
  • There is one consistent character development across all modes, so your ranking will carry over from modes. This was done intentionally to bridge that gap between single- and multiplayer.
  • Spartan Ops is more objective based compared to Firefight and they will bring story into it via a weekly CGI movie.
  • Although they put a lot of emphasis on story in multiplayer, they will not force people to watch story bits.
  • You will get experience for contributing, for example using different tactics, vehicles and guns.
  • There is another unannounced system that ties into the reward system, completionist players are going to dig it.
  • With the objectives in Spartan Ops, they will push the player to go in different areas and use different tactics.
  • The missions you play in Spartan Ops tie into the fiction and hopefully will appeal to people who love great science fiction and characters.
  • Spartan Ops is in ways an continuation of the Halo 4 campaign.

Conor 419

Banned
Oh man, a Hub for Infinity which lets the players explore and unlock new areas, which is filled with easter eggs and secret cool shit and maybe even a Griffball court would be fucking ace.

Conor 419

Banned
Whatta u mean by a hub? Like an open area like ODST?

That'd be great, but I was (due to time and effort limitations) thinking more of a small Space Station, which has different virtual reality rooms which open when 343i releases a new mission. The Easter eggs could be in the form of hidden rooms, ducts, secret passages and all that kind of shit.

The thing could expand as the Infinity campaign expands. Maybe even an ongoing visual timer in the place, giving you a direct indication as to when the next door's being unlocked.

MAYBE it could even work much like the 'arena' from the Fifa games. When you load the game, it automatically puts you in it and you can manually select options/missions/whatever from rooms/terminals.

It'd be like a little Spartan chill out/operations zone. How cool would that be, literally having to go to the multiplayer room with friends and prepare to launch, YOU COULD ACTUALLY EVEN MANUALLY GEAR UP IN AN ARMORY ROOM BEFORE YOU GO. The armory gets more equipment, modifications, weapons and shit as you unlock more stuff.

HOLY FUCK.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Oh man, a Hub for Infinity which lets the players explore and unlock new areas, which is filled with easter eggs and secret cool shit and maybe even a Griffball court would be fucking ace.

That would be amazing.

Perfect Dark did this in an awesome way.

JonCha

That'd be great, but I was (due to time and effort limitations) thinking more of a small Space Station, which has different virtual reality rooms which open when 343i releases a new mission. The Easter eggs could be in the form of hidden rooms, ducts, secret passages and all that kind of shit.

The thing could expand as the Infinity campaign expands. Maybe even an ongoing visual timer in the place, giving you a direct indication as to when the next door's being unlocked.

MAYBE it could even work much like the 'arena' from the Fifa games. When you load the game, it automatically puts you in it and you can manually select options/missions/whatever from rooms/terminals.

It'd be like a little Spartan chill out/operations zone. How cool would that be, literally having to go to the multiplayer room with friends and prepare to launch, YOU COULD ACTUALLY EVEN MANUALLY GEAR UP IN AN ARMORY ROOM BEFORE YOU GO. The armory gets more equipment, modifications, weapons and shit as you unlock more stuff.

HOLY FUCK.

Ugh, no. ODST worked because you crash landed and new no one. The hub was an extension, an open space where you're alone but still have to be aware of enemies.

Sprinting around a ship to enter missions sounds horrible. Let me use a terminal instead.

Top Bottom