• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MGS4 trailer online on Konami's website

FLEABttn said:
Which was torn to shit on NeoGAF.

Not MGS4 though. Never MGS4.

Again, the reason TS was torn apart is becasue of what they did to Snake. He doesn't act like that in any other MGS yet all of a sudden he's backflipping and kickflipping off missles.

FLEABttn

Banned
BigBoss said:
It was torn apart because in TTS it was Snake performing all the retarded stunts, not the same for MGS4, is it?

Snake may not be doing it, but it's beyond the over the top stuff seen in TTS.

But hey, it's just a 6 minute trailer. Can't put all the jump flips into a 6 minute movie, Snake still has his chance!

SolidSnakex said:
Again, the reason TS was torn apart is becasue of what they did to Snake. He doesn't act like that in any other MGS yet all of a sudden he's backflipping and kickflipping off missles.

To me, the trailer at this E3 just wasn't good, fight-dancing in or out, it was still not even close to the caliber of quality Kojima has put into his other trailers. Nothing so far, in my mind, has topped the MGS4 trailer made in the MGS3. That's pure Kojima. All this sad and somber shit is so out of place. Otacon is usually the fodder for the sad side of MGS games, but now everybody is downtrodden, which is just odd.

FLEABttn said:
Snake may not be doing it, but it's beyond the over the top stuff seen in TTS.

But hey, it's just a 6 minute trailer. Can't put all the jump flips into a 6 minute movie, Snake still has his chance!

It's not beyond it, go back at watch Ninja fight with Rex at the end. It really doesn't matter if it was anyway because those 2 are both meant to be over the top. And Snake won't be doing anything like that in the game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm seriously impressed at how they made Meryl look. Much more impressed than with her E3 06 model. That scene that shows her with her eyes a bit more open, looking at something above - wow. However, she definitely looks older now, which I guess makes sense. The way she looked so young in E3 06 trailer, she would have to be *really* young in first MGS then.

They should have animated her hair at least a bit while she was rolling on the ground though - she can't be using *that* much hairgel!

I also didn't like how they seem to mute the colors down in these more recent trailers. Very first trailer seemed a bit more vibrant than these last two, where I think they went a bit overboard with muting the colors.

Gearharaden said:
All this sad and somber shit is so out of place. Otacon is usually the fodder for the sad side of MGS games, but now everybody is downtrodden, which is just odd.

I can understand that, but Kojima said that this MGS is going to be very different than the previous games, not just in it how it plays but also in the story and how its told.

About the MGS3 part though, remember the best MGS3 trailer was the one where the bosses made their appearance which still hasn't happened in MGS4. Here it is

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/13.html

It does remind me of what MGS4 trailers have been missing, the MGS theme.

Seriously, it's the cyberninja versus Vamp, not the same what they did to Snake.

The cyberninja has always been the showcase to incredible abilities and so has Vamp established introduction since MGS2.

But Solid Snake ain't them, he doesn't have their crazy abilities. His matches were him fighting people like them with extraordinary near supernatural abilities.

Both of Raiden's MGS4's introduction has had a level of kinetic extreme sequences to them but all of Solid's have a different feel and approach to them. Just see E3 2006 trailers had how it was for Snake handling the Metal Gears versus Raiden's handling of them, distinctly different. A good reason is that Kojima's military advisor Mori Motosada tends to keep Kojima in check in terms of Solid Snake's soldier know-how.

Twin Snakes didn't keep anything in check and just went free reign with them because it was a different director anyway.

FLEABttn

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It's not beyond it, go back at watch Ninja fight with Rex at the end. It really doesn't matter if it was anyway because those 2 are both meant to be over the top. And Snake won't be doing anything like that in the game.

Well, agree to disagree then, having played TTS start to finish, that fight at the end of the MGS4 trailer is beyond anything in TTS. And whether it's Snake or not, that stuff is just too much. I don't need 2 minute duels where people dance on each other in my games.

don't get me wrong though, I'm still getting this game someday, as much as I hate that kind of shit -_-

MercuryLS

Banned
BigBoss said:
It was torn apart because in TTS it was Snake performing all the retarded stunts, not the same for MGS4, is it?

Now we've got Raiden and Vamp doing a bunch of retarded over-the-top fighting moves, it isn't much better. It looks ridiculous.

FLEABttn said:
Well, agree to disagree then, having played TTS start to finish, that fight at the end of the MGS4 trailer is beyond anything in TTS. And whether it's Snake or not, that stuff is just too much. I don't need 2 minute duels where people dance on each other in my games.

don't get me wrong though, I'm still getting this game someday, as much as I hate that kind of shit -_-

QQFT, it's just too much. I like MGS cause the pre-fight scenes usually aren't too crazy, but there's always enough cool touches to get you pumped (remember back to the tanker fight between Snake and that Army chick). The last part of this new trailer reminded me way too much of Twin Snakes, and like you said I don't care if it's Sanke or not. Keep this shit out of MGS ffs.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
MercuryLS said:
Now we've got Raiden and Vamp doing a bunch of retarded over-the-top fighting moves, it isn't much better. It looks ridiculous.

No, we have Vamp doing over the top flying moves (this is the gay vampire that danced on railings and came up out of the ocean after being shot in the head in MGS2) and a cyborg version of Raiden doing crazy shit.

It makes perfect sense!

MercuryLS said:

Raiden is cyborg much like Gray Fox who also did over the top stuff, Vamp is a guy that ran across water in MGS2. They're doing things they should be doing going by how the series has gone.

MercuryLS

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Raiden is cyborg much like Gray Fox who also did over the top stuff, Vamp is a guy that ran across water in MGS2. They're doing things they should be doing going by how the series has gone.

I know that, still wish Kojima showed a bit of restraint. You can make a character look cool without having to resort to these crazy acrobatics.

Y2Kev

AltogetherAndrews said:
Out of curiosity, does all or even most of this stuff make sense to the MGS fans here?

The storyline, as in the dialog in the trailer? The more I watch it (and I watch the trailer at least 1 time per day now), the more I think I am piecing together. As for the action? I didn't blink twice.

MGS1 is filled with incredible shit. There's a flying Ninja that takes down a walking tank. MGS2 has tons of incredible shit. MGS3 has a man that controls BEES.

Ploid 3.0

SolidSnakex said:

Oh man I loved that part. Grey Fox was sick, and yea, I see that part of him in Raiden. Can't wait for MGS4 ><Oh and the way the mask open is almost the same also. Can't wait to play mgs1 again with the new anni pack. It's been too long.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Out of curiosity, does all or even most of this stuff make sense to the MGS fans here?

Having played every MGS game to date....

I have a broad understanding of what's going on.

Wikipedia helps.

MercuryLS said:
I know that, still wish Kojima showed a bit of restraint. You can make a character look cool without having to resort to these crazy acrobatics.

Isn't it good to have a mix though, you've got some over the top stuff with Raiden but also stuff grounded with Snake. You get a compeltely different contrast with 2 of the characters have been playable in the series.

FLEABttn

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Isn't it good to have a mix though

Not if there's something in the mix we don't like.

"Here's some chex mix you guys, dig in."
"I don't like cashews."
"Well, it's it good to have a mix though?"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
SolidSnakex said:
I can understand that, but Kojima said that this MGS is going to be very different than the previous games, not just in it how it plays but also in the story and how its told.

About the MGS3 part though, remember the best MGS3 trailer was the one where the bosses made their appearance which still hasn't happened in MGS4. Here it is

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/13.html

It does remind me of what MGS4 trailers have been missing, the MGS theme.

It will come:)

AltogetherAndrews said:

Yes.

And god I hope Kojima and co. just stop listening to the "fans" and internet chatter. "The yellow filter! It's so ugly", they remove it, and then "WHere is my precious filter?!?!".

They need to shut themselves and just make the game the way they want to, like they did in the past. They did a great job before, they can do it again.

Marconelly said:
I'm seriously impressed at how they made Meryl look. Much more impressed than with her E3 06 model. That scene that shows her with her eyes a bit more open, looking at something above - wow. However, she definitely looks older now, which I guess makes sense. The way she looked so young in E3 06 trailer, she would have to be *really* young in first MGS then.

They should have animated her hair at least a bit while she was rolling on the ground though - she can't be using *that* much hairgel!

I also didn't like how they seem to mute the colors down in these more recent trailers. Very first trailer seemed a bit more vibrant than these last two, where I think they went a bit overboard with muting the colors.

I can see people liking the more older Meryl since it seems a bit more fitting, but out and out presentation design, the E3 2006 looked better. The softer look and the way the hair moved and lighting highlighted Meryl was much more dramatic.

Ether_Snake said:
It will come:)

Hopefully, i've been looking forward to how they'll remix it given the sad theme to MGS4. And while they aren't going to spoil it, I can't wait to see what Kojima meant by when he joked that the intro that LOGAN is doing for the game is going to get him fired and that Konami's going to get flooded with messages.

Ploid 3.0

After people beat MGS1 they wanted to play as Grey Fox because he was so awesome in the way he fought (like raiden in the MGS4 trailers, over the top). Then in MGS2 people found out they play most of the game as a flipping rookie (they didn't think of him as being a grey fox type of character, they just wanted to play as Solid Snake. Olga appeared as the ninja in MGS2 at one point http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2ufKnh-f78 *spoiler MGS2 vid), they were upset and wanted to play as Snake. Went back to snake but lol Big boss, and people want to play as Solid Snake!! Go back to solid snake and people want a chance to play Raiden after the E3 awesome Grey Fox like Raiden. I find that all funny.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
HomerSimpson-Man said:
I can see people liking the more older Meryl since it seems a bit more fitting, but out and out presentation design, the E3 2006 looked better. The softer look and the way the hair moved and lighting highlighted Meryl was much more dramatic.
I'm sure the lighting will be there and will be the same or simillar in that scene. She was in an open space in this new trailer, without any dramatic lighting around her. I don't know about the hair - it was pretty static in 06 as well, but not as static, and it did look fluffier and more hair-like in general, I agree with that. It was clipping through her forehead though.

Frog

SolidSnakex said:
Hopefully, i've been looking forward to how they'll remix it given the sad theme to MGS4. And while they aren't going to spoil it, I can't wait to see what Kojima meant by when he joked that the intro that LOGAN is doing for the game is going to get him fired and that Konami's going to get flooded with messages.

Whoa, I missed that one...link?

Ether_Snake said:
Yes.

And god I hope Kojima and co. just stop listening to the "fans" and internet chatter. "The yellow filter! It's so ugly", they remove it, and then "WHere is my precious filter?!?!".

They need to shut themselves and just make the game the way they want to, like they did in the past. They did a great job before, they can do it again.

I sincerely doubt they would actually make an executive decision on something as integral as overall visual presentation and tone based on fans and internet chatter if it wasn't in line with the preferred style of the studio itself. They might gauge reaction to various styles for various reasons, but I don't buy that it'd have any effect on this.

Frog said:
Whoa, I missed that one...link?

Kojima also revealed that the intro sequence for MGS4 will be done by Logan, replacing Kyle Cooper who worked on the previous two installments. The intro sequence of MGS3 let users control the screen, but according to Kojima, MGS4 is going to be even better and startling. "The customer-service phone line is going to be flooded with calls, and I'm going to get fired," joked Kojima.

Whatever the intro will be like, Kojima's idea behind it was big enough to even get developers jumping out of their seats. According to MGS4 codirector Shuyou Murata, "I totally flipped out when I heard about it. It's going to be like a promotional video, but there's going to be more to it."

Logan's Alex Tylevich was tight about releasing any details, but he gave some first hints, commenting, "It's going to be highly unusual for a video game opening. It's going to be very futuristic."

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/metalgearsolid4/news.html?sid=6158568&mode=all

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
SolidSnakex said:

On MGSTUS we think we figured it out because of a few quotes.

Basically Kojima said it would be a first in video games, and it is so different that people would call technical support. Anyway that and the fact that LOGAN, a marketing company so-to-speak, is involved, brought us to this conclusion:

When you lunch the game, you will see some publicity or TV show, and when you press buttons on the controller it just changes TV channel. Some channels have publicity, some have music videos, others are news broadcasts, etc. Basically it is showing us what a post Manhattan-incident world is like, showing us how the world is under the rule of The Patriots and their information control. Hence why Logan is involved, and why it would feel like it isn't a video game, and why people would call technical support.

Something like that.

But about the trailer, the one you linked to was from an almost finished game. Don't expect one like this until later fall.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I sincerely doubt they would actually make an executive decision on something as integral as overall visual presentation and tone based on fans and internet chatter if it wasn't in line with the preferred style of the studio itself. They might gauge reaction to various styles for various reasons, but I don't buy that it'd have any effect on this.

This happened before and even the guys at Ninja Theory remodeled Nariko's face because of fan feedback and Naughty Dog changed the protagonist' girlfriend head as well. Ninja Theory even got rid of the bloom at some time, again due to fan feedback, and brought it back when people bitched again. Happens all the time, moreso with next-gen games.

Y2Kev

Holy. Crap. It's totally going to be you controlling Snake as he walks into his apartment and then you go to the PS3 and turn the game on and play it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm guessing you will have to play though the title sequence, move some characters to reach the goal, to see the sequence progressing or something like that. Indy and the Fate of Atlantis had that and it always has new players stumped - "OK, credits are rolling, Indy is standing there, now what? Oh, I can move him?!". I'm guessing if Kojima puts something like that in, he's joking that some people will call support because "Teh gaem won't start!!"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Marconelly said:
I'm guessing you will have to play though the title sequence, move some characters to reach the goal, to see the sequence progressing or something like that. Indy and the Fate of Atlantis had that and it always has new players stumped - "OK, credits are rolling, Indy is standing there, now what? Oh, I can move him?!". I'm guessing if Kojima puts something like that in, he's joking that some people will call support because "Teh gaem won't start!!"

I don't think so, it's not supposed to feel like a video game. Could even be more like the recent Halo 3 real-life footage, a publicity of Tokugawa Heavy Industry or something like that, Private Military Corporations publicity reel, etc. But that wouldn't be enough. I think it will be along those lines, but more "messing with your brain" kind of thing, a la MGS2 Arsenal Gear' AI going crazy.

karasu

People are so ridiculous. If this shit was in the Matrix you'd be drooling all over it, but put it in an actual computer world and omg it doesn't make sense! Even though it's happened in every gamesince Metal Gear Solid!!

AltogetherAndrews said:

Yes...

....okay, mostly....

...sh*t...

.....just don't ask me about Liquid's arm and Ocelot.

I'm pretty obsessed, accepting, and understanding of Metal Gear Solid's stories, but I don't have a goddamn idea about that one.

I don't see how it's at all unreasonable for two people with largely superhuman abilities to fight like that, and Vamp's already been established to be a very flamboyant combatant. The ninja scenes in Twin Snakes were the only good ones anyway.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Yes...

....okay, mostly....

...sh*t...

I'm pretty obsessed, accepting, and understanding of Metal Gear Solid's stories, but I don't have a goddamn idea about that one.
Spoilers from MGS3

Ocelot's parents are the Boss and the Sorrow, Ocelot inherited a part of his father's abilities which manifested themselves when he had liquid's arm grafted on as a replacement.

That's the gist of it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Yes...

....okay, mostly....

...sh*t...

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same. I guess Liquid's nanomachines + Ocelot being Sorrow's son is supposed to explain it.

Ether_Snake said:
I don't think so, it's not supposed to feel like a video game.
It doesn't have to look like a videogame though. It could be a series of silhouettes or some weird graphic design shapes, or who knows. But I have a feeling title sequence will be something you have to play before you can start the game. I guess my idea is it would make it 'one step further' compared to the interactive title screen of MGS3.

MickeyKnox said:
Spoilers from MGS3

Ocelot's parents are the Boss and the Sorrow, Ocelot inherited a part of his father's abilities which manifested themselves when he had liquid's arm grafted on as a replacement.

That's the gist of it.

What? I've always been told it's because of Liquid's nanomachines still in the arm going haywire with Ocelot's own.

Frog

SolidSnakex said:

Ether_Snake said:
On MGSTUS we think we figured it out because of a few quotes.

Basically Kojima said it would be a first in video games, and it is so different that people would call technical support. Anyway that and the fact that LOGAN, a marketing company so-to-speak, is involved, brought us to this conclusion:

When you lunch the game, you will see some publicity or TV show, and when you press buttons on the controller it just changes TV channel. Some channels have publicity, some have music videos, others are news broadcasts, etc. Basically it is showing us what a post Manhattan-incident world is like, showing us how the world is under the rule of The Patriots and their information control. Hence why Logan is involved, and why it would feel like it isn't a video game, and why people would call technical support.

Something like that.

Interesting, great theory, sounds awesome!

Frog

futnownarcade said:
So whats the consensus on Shane's theory? I think there is something to it, maybe not the literal translation someone poted here.

First/third generation refers to PS1/PS3. "Nine years ago" they used "first generation technology" (PS1, MGS), now they're using "third generation technology" (PS3, MGS4). I'm sure these numbers were picked intentionally. Anything beyond that I'm not sure if I buy into.

Orlics

Red Blaster said:
What? I've always been told it's because of Liquid's nanomachines still in the arm going haywire with Ocelot's own.

I posted a page or two back the most popular theories (and why the The Sorrow theory is quite flimsy). It's a link to a pseudo-FAQ on GameFAQs.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Red Blaster said:

That's also a possibility, but more likely:

The Patriots achieved Information Control in MGS2. In MGS4 they are achieving Battlefield Control. By creating context, The Patriots ignite conflicts through proxies and let the show carry on itself as they monitor and regulate everything. This effectively attracts revolutionaries and mercs to fight for what they think are their causes, but ultimately everyone is fighting using the Guns of the Patriots, and hence everyone is a puppet in a great game of chess used to prevent any unplanned revolts or conflicts from taking place. Remember that in the MGS world, soldiers are known to be unable to stay away from war. Gray Fox said that, Big Boss said it, Campbell said it, Snake said the same. If The Patriots do not create battlefields, the soldiers will create their own, which means the rise of unplanned conflicts which could bring imbalance if not ruin The Patriots' control. So they create the battlefields and the soldiers and mercs of the world blindly bite the bait, they basically get their "fix", and The Patriots monitor and regulate these self-contained conflicts.

Also The Patriots know that human advancement comes through war. All of our greatest achievements were results of war. It seems that in MGS4' days humanity is "evolving" at a greater speed, gaining greater power, thanks to war. The Patriots have even forced the world economy to rely on war in order to make sure that this evolution would continue and could not be challenged.

Where does Liquid fit in all this? Outer Heaven is their "proxy" through which conflicts are created. But instead of running the show themselves, they placed Liquid at its head, in their best #1 agent's body no less, to run the show for them. His thirst for revenge blinds him to the fact that in the end he is simply a pawn in a system of control. MGS4 is about the digitization of a person's sense, his reason. It wouldn't be far fetched to think that Liquid' sense has been digitized and has been carried on through his nanomachines. They need him, they need their "enemy". Don't forget, even if Liquid is bent on destroying The Patriots, remember the title of the game: Guns of The Patriots.

If I knew you wanted to kill me, I'd provide you with the gun, but one with blanks.

No beginning, no end. The Patriots intend to keep this cycle going forever. Where does Snake fit in this? If you played MPO you might "get it". The Patriots used Big Boss as an insurance policy in MPO to make sure that if Gene really intended to lunch Metal Gear and the nuke Big Boss would be there to terminate him. He has sort of been conditioned over the years to do precisely this kind of action. Even Snake in MGS4 refers to himself as nothing but an hired killer. This is what Big Boss was and what Solid Snake has been for some time.

In the 15 min trailer, Snake mentions that his last mission is to erase his gene, his meme, from the face of the Earth. Why would he seek to erase his gene and memes? If the above scenario is true, then we know that The Patriots have a vested interest in at least preserving Liquid's meme, or sense. If Solid Snake is their insurance policy, the one they are keeping alive in case Outer Heaven goes out of control, then they have a vested interest in keeping Snake, or at least his meme or sense into the plan. Remember, Snake took down Outer Heaven once, and Liquid is basically MGS4' Big Boss. He could do it again, he has been conditioned for that. Raiden may well be the next in line, if not him then someone else.

Snake realizes that The Patriots intend to keep this cycle going forever, and decides to terminate himself and any traces of his existence in order to force The Patriots to lose their insurance policy and cause Outer Heaven to spin out of control, effectively throwing the world into chaos, but freeing it at the same time. But whether he will actually do it or not remains a mystery. Only The Patriots have the power to eliminate such "information".

In the end, whether The Patriots are eliminated or not doesn't matter, "they're sort of an ongoing fiction" as he said himself in MGS2. What matters is not what is real or not, but what we fight for. So all he has to do his pass over the torch.

MGS2 SPOILER (spoiler tag doesn't work on quotes it seems)
Snake: The memories you have and the role you were assigned are burdens you have to carry. It doesn't matter if they were real or not. That's never the point. There's no such thing in the world as absolute reality. Most of what they call real is actually fiction. What you think you see is only as real as your brain tells you it is.

Raiden: Then what am I supposed to believe in? What am I going to leave behind when I'm through?

Snake: We can tell other people about -- having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future. The Patriots are a kind of ongoing fiction too, come to think of it... Listen, don't obsess over words so much. Find the meaning behind the words, then decide. You can find your own name. And your own future...

Life isn't just about passing on your genes. We can leave behind much more than just DNA. Through speech, music, literature and movies... what we've seen, heard, felt ...anger, joy and sorrow... these are the things I will pass on. That's what I live for.

We need to pass the torch, and let our children read our messy and sad history by its light. We have all the magic of the digital age to do that with. The human race will probably come to an end some time, and new species may rule over this planet. Earth may not be forever, but we still have the responsibility to leave what traces of life we can. Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing.

Note how that last line from Snake in MGS2 contradicts his "final mission" from MGS4. Yet Raiden's own mission "It's my turn to protect you, Snake." is also going against Snake's MGS4 mission and is more in line with what Snake passed over to him in MGS2. Maybe the joke E305 trailer was true after all, they will have a bit of a conflict:)

Yeah that was long but I'm just trying to mention some stuff that may clear out a few things. It's speculation, but I think things have been heading in this direction.

Y2Kev

Ether_Snake said:

The Patriots achieved Information Control in MGS2. In MGS4 they are achieving Battlefield Control. By creating context, The Patriots ignite conflicts through proxies and let the show carry on itself as they monitor and regulate everything. This effectively attracts revolutionaries and mercs to fight for what they think are their causes, but ultimately everyone is fighting using the Guns of the Patriots, and hence everyone is a puppet in a great game of chess used to prevent any unplanned revolts or conflicts from taking place. Remember that in the MGS world, soldiers are known to be unable to stay away from war. Gray Fox said that, Big Boss said it, Campbell said it, Snake said the same. If The Patriots do not create battlefields, the soldiers will create their own, which means the rise of unplanned conflicts which could bring imbalance if not ruin The Patriots' control. So they create the battlefields and the soldiers and mercs of the world blindly bite the bait, they basically get their "fix", and The Patriots monitor and regulate these self-contained conflicts.

Also The Patriots know that human advancement comes through war. All of our greatest achievements were results of war. It seems that in MGS4' days humanity is "evolving" at a greater speed, gaining greater power, thanks to war. The Patriots have even forced the world economy to rely on war in order to make sure that this evolution would continue and could not be challenged.

Where does Liquid fit in all this? Outer Heaven is their "proxy" through which conflicts are created. But instead of running the show themselves, they placed Liquid at its head, in their best #1 agent's body no less, to run the show for them. His thirst for revenge blinds him to the fact that in the end he is simply a pawn in a system of control. MGS4 is about the digitization of a person's sense, his reason. It wouldn't be far fetched to think that Liquid' sense has been digitized and has been carried on through his nanomachines. They need him, they need their "enemy". Don't forget, even if Liquid is bent on destroying The Patriots, remember the title of the game: Guns of The Patriots.

If I knew you wanted to kill me, I'd provide you with the gun, but one with blanks.

No beginning, no end. The Patriots intend to keep this cycle going forever. Where does Snake fit in this? If you played MPO you might "get it". The Patriots used Big Boss as an insurance policy in MPO to make sure that if Gene really intended to lunch Metal Gear and the nuke Big Boss would be there to terminate him. He has sort of been conditioned over the years to do precisely this kind of action. Even Snake in MGS4 refers to himself as nothing but an hired killer. This is what Big Boss was and what Solid Snake has been for some time.

In the 15 min trailer, Snake mentions that his last mission is to erase his gene, his meme, from the face of the Earth. Why would he seek to erase his gene and memes? If the above scenario is true, then we know that The Patriots have a vested interest in at least preserving Liquid's meme, or sense. If Solid Snake is their insurance policy, the one they are keeping alive in case Outer Heaven goes out of control, then they have a vested interest in keeping Snake, or at least his meme or sense into the plan. Remember, Snake took down Outer Heaven once, and Liquid is basically MGS4' Big Boss. He could do it again, he has been conditioned for that. Raiden may well be the next in line, if not him then someone else.

Snake realizes that The Patriots intend to keep this cycle going forever, and decides to terminate himself and any traces of his existence in order to force The Patriots to lose their insurance policy and cause Outer Heaven to spin out of control, effectively throwing the world into chaos, but freeing it at the same time. But whether he will actually do it or not remains a mystery. Only The Patriots have the power to eliminate such "information".

In the end, whether The Patriots are eliminated or not doesn't matter, "they're sort of an ongoing fiction" as he said himself in MGS2. What matters is not what is real or not, but what we fight for. So all he has to do his pass over the torch.

Note how that last line from Snake in MGS2 contradicts his "final mission" from MGS4. Yet Raiden's own mission "It's my turn to protect you, Snake." is also going against Snake's MGS4 mission and is more in line with what Snake passed over to him in MGS2. Maybe the joke E305 trailer was true after all, they will have a bit of a conflict:)

Yeah that was long but I'm just trying to mention some stuff that may clear out a few things. It's speculation, but I think things have been heading in this direction.

Awesome possibility. I can't wait to lunch with MGS4.

ThirdEye

Ether_Snake said:

Something like that.
That's not futuristic at all, more like '80 America.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ThirdEye said:
That's not futuristic at all, more like '80 America.

Yeah but that's why I said in another post something more like the Halo 3 real-life footage, a publicity for PMCs and hence their technology, etc.

Ether_Snake said:

Well I also believe Ocelot was chosen to carry on Liquid's arm with the reasoning being that his father's blood would maximize the chances for the plan to keep "Liquid" around to be successful.

I'd like to add a few concepts/theories, (man it's been a while since I dug into MGS for conversation)

There is a special meaning to Snake, his destiny and why he's the true Hero(from a storytelling perspective). His complicated lineage is plagued by fate, forced into a cycle where the character lives in his world, happens upon the "truth" rebels against it, but losses his way, leading to his demise at the hands of The Patriots. It starts with Big Boss and repeats with 2 of his 3 "sons" each of them being a clone, but remaining differnt due to the way they were cloned. The most 1:1 copy of him is Solidus, Liquid is the result of the seperation of Big Boss's genes to filter out everything necessary to make the perfect soldier, Solid is comprised of the unnecesary "waste" material that was a byproduct of Liquid's creation.

Solid however, for all the Patriots' power and their perceived control of him, is the X factor in that world. Solid is the ONLY one to surpass his father, the other two though closer and perfect reproductions (Liquid and Solidus, respectively) are just copies of the original and as such can never go beyond what Big Boss was capable of achieving in the philosophical sense of things. Solid Snake however, being imperfect and flawed, made up of the part of Big Boss that was considered less important to making a solider than what Liquid and Solidus were made up of, was able to become his own person, not simply a clone but a man, a man able to step out of his father's shadow and surpass him. That's why he was able to beat him and that's why he has the potential to do what his father (and subsequently his brothers) could not and put an end to this story once and for all.

The Boss knew the truth, she had seen the reality of the world and she accepted it. So she followed orders and acted out the role she knew was written for her by the Philosophers/Patriots. Big Boss came to the same realization but didn't want to accept it so he lashed out, not knowing that he was also carrying out the role that was written for him. Solidus and Liquid also lashed out but being "perfect" copies, there was no possible way for them to accomplish something the original they were based on couldn't, so they also failed.
Solid is the only one left with the potential to truly change the world.

Of course there's much, much more to this, every character in the world had a very specific purpose, every action taken by them and every major even in the time line of the world is important. There is far too much specific detail to go into here so I only talked about Snake in a very macroscopic sense to try and give a sense for why I feel he is such a great character.

Top Bottom