• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pinball Arcade Kickstarter - Terminator 2: Judgment Day [Complete, $62K funded]

KaYotiX

Banned
If I can get a discount on the tables I bought on my Vita for PS4 then im so in. The Vita tables don't look as great but its nice to have them all portable...

Shaneus

If I can get a discount on the tables I bought on my Vita for PS4 then im so in. The Vita tables don't look as great but its nice to have them all portable...
They've confirmed that while there won't be cross-buy for PS3/Vita/PS4, they can offer a discount and FS will be doing so :)

Shaneus

I just installed and ran TPA on my (crappy, only for Ingress) Android device today and there was a button with a link to the T2 KS. No idea why they didn't have one for iOS, but that must've raised a bit of money. And the newsletter as well.

Shaneus

It's starting to track pretty well now, I think... at least, a little better than it ever has been. A third of the way through and around $20k. Hope they make it. My guess is if they come close enough, at least one or two of those higher tiers will mysteriously be bought.

God, this needs to happen!

jvm

Gamasutra.
What are you Pinball Arcade thread-buddies giving? I think I gave something like $150 total to the first two (TZ and TNG). Not sure I want to go in that much on this one, but if the regulars are giving $50+, I'll try to match that.

Timeless

I got a private response to my suggestion of a $15 tier with both the base game on Steam and the T2 table. It doesn't look like they'll be taking it, but a response is more than you can hope for with many companies.

Shaneus

What are you Pinball Arcade thread-buddies giving? I think I gave something like $150 total to the first two (TZ and TNG). Not sure I want to go in that much on this one, but if the regulars are giving $50+, I'll try to match that.
I was in for $50, but upped it to $100. I think I put in $50 for TNG but completely forgot about TZ when it was on, ahaha.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I chipped in $30, but I may increase it later on.

Shaneus

Current as of right now (I think Kicktraq updates hourly):
Q4TuzmYl.png

For comparison:
sSjHdi5l.png

ZYxZRDml.png

Ful-size images, in case they're not legible enough:
http://i.imgur.com/Q4TuzmY.png
http://i.imgur.com/sSjHdi5.png
http://i.imgur.com/ZYxZRDm.png

Shaneus

If that average holds, then they'll be $5K short. They need an average of $1966.66666... to get funded.
It's damn hard to predict... look at how random the donation levels are per day compared to the other ones.

If so then ill be rebuying them all, I own every table so far :)
99.9% sure it's true. Note that I don't know what "discount" implies, whether it's a good discount (say, half price) or maybe 10%.

Toad.T

Banned
Probably for the best, Farsight can barely even get the game to run on Vita. I'd rather they not bother on 3DS at all than shit all over the tables with more of this disgusting looking trash:

Eh...? What was wrong with the vita version? It's my most played vita game and runs fine IMO.

Also, why the fuck did you stop with the boxart edits on aussietendo? Those were my favorite parts.

Shaneus

It fell behind, it needs $2077 or such per day from now on to get funded. What's going on?
It's dropped right, right off. FarSight need to get on that update to the iOS version and add a plug for it, pronto. Have to be their biggest client base, but no-one knows about it. If I never subscribed to their newsletter, I wouldn't know either.

Vyse24

Its just about to reach the 40%. Now would be a good time to tell the iOS crowd about this and send this to overdrive.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
James Cameron has a twitter account, is he aware of this?

EDIT: He last tweeted on June 25th, apparently. Eh, it's worth a shot.

Shaneus

It really is like Farsight don't want this to succeed. There's been practically zero promotion for it and any that *has* been done is due to the fanbase, not the people who created the KS.

I'm about ready to give up if they don't show *they* want it there as well.

Shaneus

I was so happy to see it hit 1,000 backers this morning when I got into work. I'm now about to leave and it's had ONE extra backer. I can't believe this... we're not going to get it, are we? :(

Perhaps not -- and Farsight has nobody to blame but themselves.

As much as I love their product, and I do love it a lot -- to the tune of well over $100 so far across multiple platforms, they just keep making missteps.

1) failure to advertise the Kickstarter on platforms other than Android.
2) failure to update the Kickstarter regularly. Can even be tangential stuff about the table, the movie, the creative minds behind the table.
3) pricing is a little out of whack. If they had a tier that got you the table at a slight discount from the eventual release price, or maybe the base $10 got you Pro, or something... I know it is patronage but there are a lot of people that treat Kickstarter as a discounted pre-order and once TZ and STTNG came out below that pre-order price they've decided to stay away.

Then there are just things that, no matter how great the pinball is, Farsight hasn't handled so well.

1) the social features -- when they work -- are barebones. It's like Zen nailed everything but the pinball and Farsight nailed only the pinball. Now, I know what is most important but wouldn't it be something to see TPA with Zen's social trappings?
2) the UI is a mess. On the PS3 why do I have a Season One folder and a Season Two folder grayed out and totally non-interactable? I've bought the tables, nuke the folders please!
3) distribution is a bit of a hit and miss. The 360 is not Farsight's fault (it is Microsoft's insistence of having to have a publisher and that publisher going out of business) but how many customers don't know that (or don't care) and are lost forever? Why are some platforms always lagging a bit behind (PS3)? I understand it may take a bit more time on some platforms -- if so, hold the others for a little bit. A single marketing push, with the same new tables on every platform could do wonders. How many PS3 customers get jonesed about Whirlwind or the like coming and then go "oh, not on the PS3" and never end up buying it?

I think they could do a few things to really turn it around.

1) get the social aspect working, and working well. Pinball is at its best when it is a shared experience, chasing friends' high scores. Would be great to do not only that but be able to see how you stack up against them table goals-wise.
2) the UI needs to be overhauled. The first screen should be the list of tables we own, not tucked (at least on the PS3) in a "My Tables" folder. Get rid of the folders that are perma-disabled. Allow me to see, on that first screen, the status of me and my friends' goals and scores for the selected table. Let me see play stats (average time per ball, average points per ball, total minutes on the table, etc.) for the selected table. Allow me to sort the table (year, era -- M, EM, SS, DMD, company, etc.).
3) when the 360 is sorted catch that platform up with the other platforms by offering a steep discount on at least the Season One tables. They've got to win those people back.
4) the end of the generation is approaching and people are scaling back purchases at least on the 360 and PS3. They've mentioned that there'll likely be reduced prices to re-buy the tables for the PS4. Come out with firm details on that. It will ease a lot of peoples' minds if they know it'll only be $1 per table, or $12 per season or what have you.
5) the PC version could be very important and become the primary platform -- allow mod'ing of the UI and mining of stats so that the customers can build the wrapper they want around these wonderful tables. Support cabinets, maybe even partner with a cabinet maker or something.

Anyhow, just me thinking out loud. Again, I love the product and love Farsight and while none of what I've typed is new I figured it bears repeating. Hopefully it'll be taken as the constructive criticism I intended it to be.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I can't score chase anymore because of the scoreboard bug. That at a minimum needs to be fixed. :(

Minsc

Gold Member
Perhaps not -- and Farsight has nobody to blame but themselves.

As much as I love their product, and I do love it a lot -- to the tune of well over $100 so far across multiple platforms, they just keep making missteps.

1) failure to advertise the Kickstarter on platforms other than Android.
2) failure to update the Kickstarter regularly. Can even be tangential stuff about the table, the movie, the creative minds behind the table.
3) pricing is a little out of whack. If they had a tier that got you the table at a slight discount from the eventual release price, or maybe the base $10 got you Pro, or something... I know it is patronage but there are a lot of people that treat Kickstarter as a discounted pre-order and once TZ and STTNG came out below that pre-order price they've decided to stay away.

Then there are just things that, no matter how great the pinball is, Farsight hasn't handled so well.

1) the social features -- when they work -- are barebones. It's like Zen nailed everything but the pinball and Farsight nailed only the pinball. Now, I know what is most important but wouldn't it be something to see TPA with Zen's social trappings?
2) the UI is a mess. On the PS3 why do I have a Season One folder and a Season Two folder grayed out and totally non-interactable? I've bought the tables, nuke the folders please!
3) distribution is a bit of a hit and miss. The 360 is not Farsight's fault (it is Microsoft's insistence of having to have a publisher and that publisher going out of business) but how many customers don't know that (or don't care) and are lost forever? Why are some platforms always lagging a bit behind (PS3)? I understand it may take a bit more time on some platforms -- if so, hold the others for a little bit. A single marketing push, with the same new tables on every platform could do wonders. How many PS3 customers get jonesed about Whirlwind or the like coming and then go "oh, not on the PS3" and never end up buying it?

I think they could do a few things to really turn it around.

1) get the social aspect working, and working well. Pinball is at its best when it is a shared experience, chasing friends' high scores. Would be great to do not only that but be able to see how you stack up against them table goals-wise.
2) the UI needs to be overhauled. The first screen should be the list of tables we own, not tucked (at least on the PS3) in a "My Tables" folder. Get rid of the folders that are perma-disabled. Allow me to see, on that first screen, the status of me and my friends' goals and scores for the selected table. Let me see play stats (average time per ball, average points per ball, total minutes on the table, etc.) for the selected table. Allow me to sort the table (year, era -- M, EM, SS, DMD, company, etc.).
3) when the 360 is sorted catch that platform up with the other platforms by offering a steep discount on at least the Season One tables. They've got to win those people back.
4) the end of the generation is approaching and people are scaling back purchases at least on the 360 and PS3. They've mentioned that there'll likely be reduced prices to re-buy the tables for the PS4. Come out with firm details on that. It will ease a lot of peoples' minds if they know it'll only be $1 per table, or $12 per season or what have you.
5) the PC version could be very important and become the primary platform -- allow mod'ing of the UI and mining of stats so that the customers can build the wrapper they want around these wonderful tables. Support cabinets, maybe even partner with a cabinet maker or something.

Anyhow, just me thinking out loud. Again, I love the product and love Farsight and while none of what I've typed is new I figured it bears repeating. Hopefully it'll be taken as the constructive criticism I intended it to be.

Good points, but do keep in mind when balancing things over platforms, the mobile platforms are the bread winners for them, the sales are "way better" than consoles, so I don't think they're going to slow down mobile releases for the consoles if their antiquated approval process gets in the way of the simple release process on the mobiles. That said, they do seem to be doing a better job catching up the PS3/Vita versions than in the past.

Good points, but do keep in mind when balancing things over platforms, the mobile platforms are the bread winners for them, the sales are "way better" than consoles, so I don't think they're going to slow down mobile releases for the consoles if their antiquated approval process gets in the way of the simple release process on the mobiles.

I suppose you are right about that -- especially with the 360 being the way it is now, there's no way they could hold up everything. I wonder, though, if the 360 was at least on par with the PS3 if the console audience would come close to the mobile audience -- or is it that heavily skewed towards mobile? Maybe just keeping mobile and the PC (when it comes) will have to be enough, and let the consoles come out when they come out.

TPA is the game that has me actually considering a iPad -- wish it'd come out for my Surface RT (hey, quit laughing at me! =)). Heck, it has already gotten me to buy a Vita (well, TPA and Spelunky).

Minsc

Gold Member
I suppose you are right about that -- especially with the 360 being the way it is now, there's no way they could hold up everything. I wonder, though, if the 360 was at least on par with the PS3 if the console audience would come close to the mobile audience -- or is it that heavily skewed towards mobile? Maybe just keeping mobile and the PC (when it comes) will have to be enough, and let the consoles come out when they come out.

TPA is the game that has me actually considering a iPad -- wish it'd come out for my Surface RT (hey, quit laughing at me! =)). Heck, it has already gotten me to buy a Vita (well, TPA and Spelunky).

Yeah, 360 was their lead platform, so I think perhaps they are a little surprised with how mobile turned out taking the top spot. Perhaps if things were managed better, the sales would be more balanced, but for all the things they've done wrong, the one thing you really can't fault them for is what happened on the 360, that's just the worst luck imaginable. They seem to be really interested in pushing the PS4 version too, so I think maybe it's not that skewed, but I believe they mentioned TPA had 7 million downloads, and I wouldn't be surprised if ~75% of those were from iOS/Android platforms where it's free.

Your points above do seem very logical and I've seen them mentioned plenty of times before... hopefully they start implementing them more!

The kickstarter is tracking better than I expected, so I'm not too disappointed or worried yet about the sales.

Shaneus

I wished I shared your optimism, but I don't know if they're going to do anything at this point.
My biggest hope here is that they know about the bugs with their recent release (they had them mentioned on the store update) for iOS, so a patch can't be far away... and hopefully there'll be a mention of it there.

Someone suggested somewhere that maybe you can't link to external projects or fundraisers or something in apps on the App Store (which would explain there being a mention of it on Android but not iOS) but I dunno. Not much more a lot of us can do, TBH... and not sure I could be bothered if there was, given Farsight's apparent lackadaisical attitude towards it.

Brashnir

Yeah, 360 was their lead platform, so I think perhaps they are a little surprised with how mobile turned out taking the top spot. Perhaps if things were managed better, the sales would be more balanced, but for all the things they've done wrong, the one thing you really can't fault them for is what happened on the 360, that's just the worst luck imaginable. They seem to be really interested in pushing the PS4 version too, so I think maybe it's not that skewed, but I believe they mentioned TPA had 7 million downloads, and I wouldn't be surprised if ~75% of those were from iOS/Android platforms where it's free.

Your points above do seem very logical and I've seen them mentioned plenty of times before... hopefully they start implementing them more!

The kickstarter is tracking better than I expected, so I'm not too disappointed or worried yet about the sales.

Even before the bankruptcy, they repeatedly mangled 360 releases and failed to clear cert on table packs, so I'm still going to blame them for that. The bankruptcy happened when 6-8 more table packs could/should have been released, but their complete inability to deliver a working product in a reasonable timeframe screwed over everyone who invested in the game on that platform.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Somewhat systemic problems here... KS campaigns are everywhere and this is probably seen as "just another pinball table".

Well, that's a problem, how do we convince Polygon, Kotaku, Gamespot, Destructoid, et. al., to give some love to this?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
We gotta convince the major gaming websites to cover this, post on Stern Pinball's Facebook page, and just get the word out that this is important.

How do we do that? That's the big question.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Seems as though they may be getting a bit worried about whether the KS is going to succeed or not:

We're now two weeks into our Terminator 2 Kickstarter and together we've raised almost $25,000 towards our goal! Thanks everyone for supporting us!

It looks like we're going to come very close to raising the $59,000 we need for the Terminator 2 licenses, so we've decided to do something we've never done before- open up access to our Beta Tester program to our Kickstarter Backers! We've created a new Reward tier that will make you an official Pinball Arcade Beta Tester with early access to ALL future table packs (not just Terminator 2!) You can help us make these tables better by reporting bugs and suggesting tuning improvements, and you will credited as a Beta Tester in all future table credits. Your input can have a substantial impact on the game!

This is an incredible Reward (and we can only offer a limited number of them) so if you haven't already, please consider pledging to help us meet our goal using the link below. Together we can get this table made!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
That beta tester reward is at $400, too rich for me. They did get two people to bite so far, though, so that's encouraging.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Okay, now I'm wondering if this could be the in I was dreaming of to get into the video game industry. Beta tester is the first step, right?

brb, gotta raise $400 myself and sell off some stuff.

Vyse24

Over $2k raised since the tier was added. One person went and pledged for the autographed game copy at the $500 level. There's hope yet, folks.

Good points, but do keep in mind when balancing things over platforms, the mobile platforms are the bread winners for them, the sales are "way better" than consoles, so I don't think they're going to slow down mobile releases for the consoles if their antiquated approval process gets in the way of the simple release process on the mobiles. That said, they do seem to be doing a better job catching up the PS3/Vita versions than in the past.

Plus, really... it's not gonna kill anyone to be 2nd or 3rd in line. I feel for fans on 360 and people waiting for Steam, and the ideal would be for Sony to speed up and for Far Sight's multiplatform development to bulk up... but I'd rather them just continue to make a profit and have incentive to continue to deliver.

Also, man... c'mon. I want this to happen. Internet don't fail me now. I wish I had more than 6 friends who play pinball games... even a couple of my friends in "the pinball gang" aren't really enthusiastic like me, are fish out of water in the kickstarter world, and maybe just play 5 minutes of Star Wars on Zen. They say "take my money" when they see the link, but don't mean it lol

Top Bottom