• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pinball Arcade Kickstarter - Terminator 2: Judgment Day [Complete, $62K funded]

Okay, now I'm wondering if this could be the in I was dreaming of to get into the video game industry. Beta tester is the first step, right?

brb, gotta raise $400 myself and sell off some stuff.

lol, if I was balling a little harder, I would do it. I wanted to pledge hundreds and hundreds of dollars to C-Wars awhile back so I could be a zombie in the game. Wouldda been cool.

jvm

Gamasutra.
In terms of dollars, best day since they started.

But only fifth best day in terms of new supporters. So a much higher average pledge.

joeblow

Like most I can't afford the $400 beta tester tier, but I appreciate the effort to attract more high rollers so I plopped in another 25 bones.

Shaneus

I think the main tier they're missing is one that gives you one platform and pro level. So many comments about having to get it on multi platforms before getting pro mode (even though I consider it a massive waste of money) but the only change they've made is to a tier out of almost everyone's reach.

You know, the inquisitive in me thinks that the $400 tier will be some internal FS people to get them over the edge. It's a small enough amount that FS can reimburse or whatever, it's not really an externally-visible thing (like a custom character etc.) but could easily be topped up enough so they just make it without having to go overboard. I wouldn't be surprised... it'd have to have happened before with other (non-FS) KS projects, it'd likely happen here. Especially if it's Jay's favourite table.

PS. I'm pretty sure this is the first time it's gone green! Yes!
qIHoWYO.png

Vyse24

I guess the recent pledges have made the kickstarter more noticable. Listed #2 on Kicktraq's top 10, and is now a part of the 'popular this week' section for games on Kickstarter. Hopefully this means more people outside the PA community will pledge and help out.

Lettuce

Yeah this has got a massive boost over the last 2 days, considering wed,thur was look grim today looks considerably better now....can this really all be down to them adding that beta testing tier ????

They also got the bright idea to post updates about this on their old Kickstarters, so everyone who backed those got a mail about it.

I read that they can put out notifications on Android... would be nice if they could on iOS and all other platforms too.

The UI & social-scoring leaderboards overlay needs continuous improvement to get on Zen's level (don't get me wrong, Pinball Arcade is my <3), but in the meantime, they could really use a news blurb. Works for LBP2 & LBPV to get the word out on contests, community events and team picks. Took them like 4 years to realize they needed it, but it worked wonders.

Shaneus

They also got the bright idea to post updates about this on their old Kickstarters, so everyone who backed those got a mail about it.
You know, normally I don't consider FS to be that good at doing any kind of promotion or *anything* PR-related, but the update to the existing KS projects is fucking GENIUS. Honestly, it's the best idea I've ever heard them implement.

I'm also sticking to the fact that the beta tier is a way for them to get the project over the line themselves. It makes sense that they'll at least be able to get another 10 grand at the point the tier was launched (I think they had around $30k at the time) and what's 50x $400? $20k. Easily enough to get them over the line if they had to.

If it's true I certainly wouldn't besmirch them for it, not at all. But it looks like it may be gaining some traction on it's own. Hopefully enough for me to pull back my pledge to $50 rather than a hundo.

Man, seeing the jump from the past couple of days, they might pull this off after all, which makes me super happy. I've done 10 on every kickstarter, though i still haven't bought extra tables past the first 3, since i am really hoping that the 360 version will get the extra DLC in the near future. If they out-right cancel it, i'll jump to my phone at that point, or maybe the Wii U version. Either way, as a huge pinball fanatic, here's to hoping!

In two days they've raised what they couldn't in the last 5. I'm trying hard to keep my hopes realistic as I understand the bulk of those gains come from the $400 tier, something that won't hold up for the next two weeks.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Looks like things slowed down again. Hopefully there's a PR push coming, they have enough time to do this.

EDIT: Read the Kicktraq graphs wrong, sorry. But my hopes for a PR push remain.

Unison

Our latest project is called the Pinball Arcade and is currently available on a wide variety of platforms: the iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire, Ouya, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PS Vita and Mac, with versions coming soon for the PC, Nintendo Wii U, and PlayStation 4.

Xboned!

I guess there really be fewer indie games on Xbox One.

I really hope this one makes it, I was under the impression that we'd be seeing more licensed tables than we have so far. Someone should tweet Arnie and see if he's good for a few bucks to back this.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
After my abysmal experience backing the first two Kickstarters I cannot bring myself to do it. Pay double the cost of the table, hear nothing forever, then when it finally comes out the people who didn't back it can just go on the store and buy it for half the price the day it comes out while backers need to wait days/weeks to receive their double-price code in some Kickstarter message after badgering the admins about it.

Nah, I will just buy it like a normal guy.

Shaneus

Nah, I will just buy it like a normal guy.
Not if it doesn't make it, you won't. Possibly not ever:
The licenses for Terminator 2: Judgment Day will cost $66,000 (and that&#8217;s just for the licenses- we&#8217;ll cover all of the development expenses ourselves). Thanks to the amazing generosity of pinball fans throughout the world, our previous Kickstarter project for the Star Trek: The Next Generation pinball table raised $7,000 more than we needed for the Star Trek: licenses and we're applying this towards the license costs of Terminator 2: Judgment Day. If we can raise the remaining $59,000 we&#8217;ll be able to digitize Terminator 2: Judgment Day and preserve one of the greatest pinball tables of all time. If we don't reach our goal no credit cards will be charged, but if we raise more then the goal we&#8217;ll be able to digitize other licensed tables as well, including the next table we'd really like to pursue- Bally's incredible classic The Addams Family!

Also, some advice I posted earlier in the thread form someone on PAF:
For me, the particular table being Kickstarted is irrelevant. This is a poll: Does the fan community want tables with expensive licenses in TPA? The only reason Farsight went through Kickstarter in the first place is because fans were begging for Twilight Zone, a table they had already rejected doing because the license was too costly. It was this community that suggested Kickstarter, and Farsight did it despite the hassles involved. If we say 'no' on this one, that will tell them the support isn't there for tables that aren't more popular T2. That's a list that conceivably could include every licensed table not named The Addams Family.

I wish Farsight would skip Kickstarter and charge $10 for T2, but that's more risk than they are comfortable with, and no doubt they'd get shredded on Facebook for making a cash grab. Which is ludicrous, by the way: I can't think of a worse way to get rich on the Internet than digitizing pinball tables.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Not if it doesn't make it, you won't. Possibly not ever.

They've been dangling Addams Family in front of everyone giving to these Kickstarters like a carrot since the beginning. I love pinball, I buy every table that comes out, and will no doubt RE-buy them all when the Wii U version finally comes out (six months after they said it would) but it's kind of ridiculous how this all goes. PA has been out for over a year and a half now and there are still interface issues, tons of ignored requests, and the crappy mobile versions take precedent over the console versions that people are actually seriously playing.

The community has already spoken, we are willing to pay for premium licensed tables, that's why we have TZ and TNG. I really hope T2 makes it as well, and would happily pitch in for it (and Addams) but I'm sure it's gonna be the same ridiculous clusterfuck when it comes around to being codes time just like it has been in the past.

Shaneus

The community has already spoken, we are willing to pay for premium licensed tables, that's why we have TZ and TNG. I really hope T2 makes it as well, and would happily pitch in for it (and Addams) but I'm sure it's gonna be the same ridiculous clusterfuck when it comes around to being codes time just like it has been in the past.
Depends on whether you view Kickstarter as a quasi-preorder store or as a means to see something you want to get made, get made. I'm happy to think of my pledge as a donation rather than expecting something in return... I wish others would do the same.

Looking highly unlikely we'll ever get to see this table :(

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Depends on whether you view Kickstarter as a quasi-preorder store or as a means to see something you want to get made, get made. I'm happy to think of my pledge as a donation rather than expecting something in return... I wish others would do the same.

Looking highly unlikely we'll ever get to see this table :(

TNG limped across the finish line, I bet it'll be okay.

They've mentioned giving X360/XBLA versions discounts when the last year's worth of tables are finally released and the client updated. They should be offering a tier that gives the X360 owner or future owner that discount on both Season passes with the addition of T2 to get some movement from that platform.

I think kickstarter should disallow projects like this. They are not trying to get a company or product off the ground, they are just using it to minimize their (seemingly tiny) risk and presell. They've made the game, they've made several DLC packs, they have a revenue stream. The license is $66k and they have more than 10% from a previous kickstarter. Is Farsight so insolvent and so lacking in confidence of their business model that they can't/won't just fork over the cash for the license? They can't write a check for $66k and instead have to make a plea to the community because the window is closing? To me this is almost as bad as the "send my daughter to RPG maker camp" kickstarter.

I love pinball, I own TPA and all it's DLC, T2 is a great table, but this is just ridiculous. I think it makes Farsight look pretty bad. They've been in business for 22 years and have worked on a lot of modestly successful titles. They should be able to pay their own licensing fees.

Shaneus

I think kickstarter should disallow projects like this. They are not trying to get a company or product off the ground, they are just using it to minimize their (seemingly tiny) risk and presell
What's tiny about the risk? If they didn't have KS, they'd be charging ~$10 a table (probably more) to everyone to cover their costs... how many regular people do you think would pay that? I'd say it's a *massive* risk if they do that. "Seemingly tiny" only to you, perhaps.

They've made the game, they've made several DLC packs, they have a revenue stream.
Perhaps the revenue "stream" is barely enough to cover the costs of licensing for existing tables plus employee costs?

The license is $66k and they have more than 10% from a previous kickstarter. Is Farsight so insolvent and so lacking in confidence of their business model that they can't/won't just fork over the cash for the license?
What makes you think they're such a big company that they can drop $66k just like that?

They can't write a check for $66k and instead have to make a plea to the community because the window is closing? To me this is almost as bad as the "send my daughter to RPG maker camp" kickstarter.
Hyperbolic much? There's a big difference between a known millionaire asking for ~$800 to send her daughter to a "camp" and a company of unknown financial turnaround/profit bringing something to a community for a significantly higher cost that they may not recoup.

I love pinball, I own TPA and all it's DLC, T2 is a great table, but this is just ridiculous. I think it makes Farsight look pretty bad.
There are a number of things that make FarSight look bad. This is far from one of them.

They've been in business for 22 years and have worked on a lot of modestly successful titles. They should be able to pay their own licensing fees.
Name three.

There are a number of things that make FarSight look bad. This is far from one of them.

I don't see how using kickstarter makes them look bad. If they were raising a thousand dollars a minute like day 1 of kickstarters by critical darlings they would look good?

It's like people want Far Sight to crash and burn for trying to carry pinball on their back, and for pinball to get all twisted and shut back down into the dust bin. Right now power is consolidated in caring hands. Hopefully it can stay that way, and we don't have to buy into 10 different pinball platforms over the course of 30 years to see even a fraction of the tables we've seen already.

You think if Far Sight wasn't around Zen would be doing this just because they've got a pretty engine, a nice UI and great leaderboards? Nah, they'd be eatin' off of Marvel and Star Wars rights, straight chillin' on fantasy pinball.

Shaneus

I don't see how using kickstarter makes them look bad. If they were raising a thousand dollars a minute like day 1 of kickstarters by critical darlings they would look good?

It's like people want Far Sight to crash and burn for trying to carry pinball on their back, and for pinball to get all twisted and shut back down into the dust bin. Right now power is consolidated in caring hands. Hopefully it can stay that way, and we don't have to buy into 10 different pinball platforms over the course of 30 years to see even a fraction of the tables we've seen already.

You think if Far Sight wasn't around Zen would be doing this just because they've got a pretty engine, a nice UI and great leaderboards? Nah, they'd be eatin' off of Marvel and Star Wars rights, straight chillin' on fantasy pinball.
That's honestly what I don't get. There are people who are enthusiastic and people who are somewhat apathetic towards it which I don't have a problem with, but the people who are all-out angry and upset at them for one reason or another? I honestly just don't get it. You'd think FS did something horrible to their mothers.

On that note, FS have updated their KS with a new tier:
With your help, we've now raised over $38,000 towards the goal of securing the Terminator 2 license! If we can keep up this momentum the project will succeed- you fans are amazing!

We've introduced a new $18 Reward tier that we hope will entice some of our $10 backers to increase their pledge a bit. For an extra $8 you'll get the Pro version of the Terminator 2 table (including access to the table operator's menu, a table exploration mode, and special tips on playing the table from PAPA tournament pros) on a single platform of your choice. In addition your name will be listed as a BRONZE backer in the game credits! Please consider raising your pledge a little to help us reach the goal!

We've been getting questions from fans about whether the Terminator 2 table will be part of Season Two of the Pinball Arcade, and if so what will be done for Kickstarter backers who already own a Season Two Pass. If the license is funded, the Terminator 2 table WILL be part of Season Two. If you already have a Season Two Pass and you back the Terminator 2 project, as a "thank-you" we will give you any other table of your choice (now or in the future). If you have a Season Two Pro Pass we'll give you the Pro table of your choice. We hope you'll back the project regardless- without the license no one gets to play the Terminator 2 table, Season Pass or no Season Pass, and we want everyone to experience it!

Thanks again for supporting us!
I think there'll be a decent influx from this, there seemed to be a large number of people asking for this very thing.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Since I already have the season 2 pro pass, that's great news.

I'll stick with my $50 pledge for the time being, but I'll give away my codes in the TPA thread if this goes through.

I was thinking of adding an extra $10. If I do, should I get this or the $20 item?

I play on Vita and occasionally PS3, where it's crossbuy, so I went with the $18 item. I don't have any other platforms that it's available on except future Steam.

When it comes to Steam, I may make one big purchase if everything can be consolidated in a reasonably priced superpack discount, but I don't see myself playing it there tbh.

If I'm going to rebuy any of it, I'll probably save that for the PS4 version, which hopefully has the full suite of tables available from day 1.

Will this count toward the PS4 version?

You should probably ask them in the comments section.

If the PS4 and Pinball Arcade on PS4 are out by then, I'm sure it'd be just a matter of getting codes. None of us know what Sony's policy will be on the costs or ease of PSN code generation will be on the next platform.

TxdoHawk

including the next table we'd really like to pursue- Bally's incredible classic The Addams Family!

I think I just Double Jackpot-ed.

Will throw in $10 on this for the sake of historical preservation.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It really bothers me that they keep dangling the Addams Family license in front of everyone.

Raul Julia's family hasn't ever shown any inkling of a notion of changing their mind about his likeness being used. If they have, The devs need to come right out and tell people. Otherwise, it seems very dishonest.

jvm

Gamasutra.
It really bothers me that they keep dangling the Addams Family license in front of everyone.

Raul Julia's family hasn't ever shown any inkling of a notion of changing their mind about his likeness being used. If they have, The devs need to come right out and tell people. Otherwise, it seems very dishonest.
Agree with this. If they're playing games and knowing it's never going to happen, they need to stop.

If they're going get permission for new artwork and voice work, I'm there. I'll go $150 on that KS if that's what it takes.

Amazon streams the Adams Family movies, and that's multiple licensing and estate processes separate from VHS and DVD distribution.

I'd like to see a link to evidence the family estate is uncooperative to the pinball table or any use of Raul Julia's likeness... if they're preventing rerelease of the Street Fighter Movie game by proxy, then I can understand.

TxdoHawk

I don't think Farsight would do that, they don't seem like those kind of people that would be patently dishonest about this sort of thing. Sure, they've maybe been kind of overly optimistic about their platform development and some other things, but nothing they've done has struck me as being intentionally deceptive.

I remember months ago when asked about TAF, they said they wanted to but that it would be hard, if not impossible to get the licenses. Given this change in tone, I'm assuming something changed. One can only assume they have been working hard on negotiations in the background, they know people want it, they know the Kickstarter will easily fund, and they know it will probably be one of their best-selling tables, if not the best.

Xater

Yeah, 360 was their lead platform, so I think perhaps they are a little surprised with how mobile turned out taking the top spot. Perhaps if things were managed better, the sales would be more balanced, but for all the things they've done wrong, the one thing you really can't fault them for is what happened on the 360, that's just the worst luck imaginable. They seem to be really interested in pushing the PS4 version too, so I think maybe it's not that skewed, but I believe they mentioned TPA had 7 million downloads, and I wouldn't be surprised if ~75% of those were from iOS/Android platforms where it's free.

Your points above do seem very logical and I've seen them mentioned plenty of times before... hopefully they start implementing them more!

The kickstarter is tracking better than I expected, so I'm not too disappointed or worried yet about the sales.

I just want to chime in about the iOS version. I play it on the iPad as well because the portrait mode just makes it perfect for pinball. Seeing the whole table without it being super small is just great.

Someone here asked about the PS4 version and I asked them the same thing. You can also opt for a PS4 code if you want to.

Brashnir

Would you be OK with an Addams Family table with a big black Spoiler bar over every image of Raul Julia on the table, or even better, a picture of John Astin in their place?

I'd be ok with that. Replace any audio you need to as well.

Amazon streams the Adams Family movies, and that's multiple licensing and estate processes separate from VHS and DVD distribution.

I'd like to see a link to evidence the family estate is uncooperative to the pinball table or any use of Raul Julia's likeness...

I'd like to know the source of this rumor, it's always repeated but never sourced. There have been enough examples in gaming of things that were hard to license or relicence and yet it's happened.

Shaneus

Trending amount dropped below the goal for the first time since the massive bump the other day:
vCzTLQJ.png

Hoping that a good number of people are yet to see their offer of the single table + pro mode and it'll jump up over the next day or so to reflect it.

Siegmeyer

I love TPA and have all the DLC, but like others I've got increasingly frustrated with Farsight.

It's utter bullshit that the roaming table camera is locked behind the Pro Upgrade. You can't read half the text on the table from the standard views, which means I have to go into the table instructions a lot to remind myself how certain features work. This should be standard feature on ALL tables. Pro upgrade for those who want to fiddle with operator settings is fine by me, withholding crucial features is not.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Would you be OK with an Addams Family table with a big black Spoiler bar over every image of Raul Julia on the table, or even better, a picture of John Astin in their place?

I'd be ok with that. Replace any audio you need to as well.

I'd be on board with this 100%.

Top Bottom