• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario 3D World hands-on, gameplay

Nintendo owns me this holiday, and I'm not even counting the 3DS or third party titles.

I still have Pikmin 3 to finish.
Wii Play U this week
Wii Fit U next month
Mario in December

I might have to tap into my retirement savings this year.

mantidor

Still too 2D for me. I hope the final game has a lot less side on scrolling.

I would say the game has achieved a good balance of 2d and 3d gameplay in a 3d world, from what we have seen. I wanted crazy orbital platforming in Galaxy but I realized later it'd be actually super complex, and Galaxy's best levels include several 2d sections.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
You saw two levels. Get your bullshit agendas out of here.

This is a discussion board were folks are free to discuss and comment on the material presented in the OP. The OP presented a video showing 2 levels. I'm offering a fair and valid criticism of those two levels stating that I don't like the fixed 2D-ish aspect and fixed camera viewpoint of a lot of the video content as I much prefer the more open 3D worlds of Galaxy and SM64.

Keep your hate to yourself.

Still too 2D for me. I hope the final game has a lot less side on scrolling.

That 2D + isometric thing isn't going away. Even the more expansive levels will likely still look like floating blocks of land where camera is in that high angle to give you the perfect view on everything. It's the continuation of the "2D Mario in a 3D Space" philosophy.

Kureransu

I've been thinking with the levels remind me of (besides 3d land in a sense) and it dawned on me. The way the levels are laid out reminds me of the Bowser (castle) levels from the 3d Marios prior. Am I the only one who feels this way?

It never ceases to amaze me how much better nintendo is than a lot of companies at showing off their games.

Taken Madden 25 next gen for example. We've seen like no gameplay just BS trailers from all sorts of cinematic angles.

Meanwhile this game is on full display for people to play... and nintendo puts out trailers with actual gameplay etc.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
That 2D + isometric thing isn't going away. Even the more expansive levels will likely still look like floating blocks of land where camera is in that high angle to give you the perfect view on everything. It's the continuation of the "2D Mario in a 3D Space" philosophy.

You have phrased it very succinctly. I really don't like that approach very much. I've seen videos of this game that gave the impression that the game is a lot more 3D-ish and I was hoping this was the norm.

You have phrased it very succinctly. I really don't like that approach very much. I've seen videos of this game that gave the impression that the game is a lot more 3D-ish and I was hoping this was the norm.

There are a few shots of wider areas, but it's never going to be like the Sunshine hub or anything, at least I don't it will as that clashes with much of what we've seen so far. So while the levels will be incredibly focused and polished, it's not going to be the "epic" scope Mario I'm guessing you, and others (and I) want with interconnected Banjo Kazooie levels, and a Mushroom Kingdom with Yoshis running around in open fields, and huge platforming puzzles built into this huge platforming world or whatever it is everyone wants idk

shandy706

Couple gifs for the heck of it.

ibqZJk2AJUHnIF.gif

ibi83ruCKNGOf2.gif

char0n

My only remaining fear about this ("new" style music) has been utterly squashed, and seems to be phenomenal as the rest. Looks like WiiU is now a "when?" rather than an "if?" for me.

KHlover

Banned
It never ceases to amaze me how much better nintendo is than a lot of companies at showing off their games.

Taken Madden 25 next gen for example. We've seen like no gameplay just BS trailers from all sorts of cinematic angles.

Meanwhile this game is on full display for people to play... and nintendo puts out trailers with actual gameplay etc.

If Nintendo were good at showing off their games we wouldn't be out of crow now. The initial reveal of this game was pretty awful.

I agree that showing off actual gameplay during a trailer is miles better than the CG crap many companies do now, though.

It seems obvious Nintendo is trying to a create 3d Mario that appeals to the widest audience possible. I can't blame them. Its good for both sides. There will be a smaller minority that dislikes the game, and Nintendo gets better business. Of course this doesnt matter to your opinion.

I actually prefer the style they've achieved in 3d land/world. I only played the first Galaxy, while it was fun, half way through, it started to feel like it was dragging on. The levels were too long for my Mario taste. I really like the style of 3d world. It's like if a 2d mario game suddenly went 3d on your tv. Where instead of going just left and right, you can go straight forward into the game. I'm looking forward to playing this one.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This is a discussion board were folks are free to discuss and comment on the material presented in the OP. The OP presented a video showing 2 levels. I'm offering a fair and valid criticism of those two levels stating that I don't like the fixed 2D-ish aspect and fixed camera viewpoint of a lot of the video content as I much prefer the more open 3D worlds of Galaxy and SM64.

Keep your hate to yourself.
What open 3D levels in galaxy are you talking about, because they were far and few between.

Owensboro

Man, I haven't felt this way about playing a Mario game in a looooooong time. I have no idea why, as the New Super Mario series has only made me feel indifference, but when I watch this I get that little feeling of wanting to run to a Toys R Us and play their demo kiosk until it shuts itself off like I used to for Mario 64.

I'm betting it's just because I've skipped all the games since Galaxy 2 and I'm starting to get the Platforming itch again. Who knew that a Mario game might sell me on a new Nintendo system?
EVERYONE
. Now I just have to fight my stupid impulse buy urge and wait for X to come out.

Dr.Hadji

uuyrgh, kotaku...

Anyone who says there's no originality in the New mario series has clearly not stepped outside the first few levels.
!

I think you'll find that when most people speak about things like "originality" they're mostly talking about aesthetics, thematic variation or scenarios. They're rarely (if ever) talk about gameplay (outside of completely novel mechanics like portals from Portal). Thinking about people's comments in this way, its no wonder that 3d World is now getting the hype now that they've shown some visually dynamic and different levels and worlds.

eXistor

This flood of new info is too much, I really should be strong and just not watch.

Okay I've watched it...

Clefargle

Great piece, any idea how long the back end of the game is? Like, will there be enough stuff that hasn't been show yet to satisfy my hunger?

Great piece, any idea how long the back end of the game is? Like, will there be enough stuff that hasn't been show yet to satisfy my hunger?

Speed runs with mii ghosts and competitive(if you wish) Multiplayer, these seem to be the end game portion.

So far, there seems to be at least 85 levels, as well as special toads levels that present a puzzle challange. Theres another game mode revealed, I cant remember what it is.

Add this all up, ontop of finding all the greenstars and whatever else there is, this game should last a worthy amount of time.

I can see getting at least 30 hours out of this game. I believe I put at least 35 hours into NSMBU.

RagnarokX

I think the philosophy is "3D Platformer". It's strange how some people label platforming as "2D gameplay". This game is a 3D Platformer like most of Mario Galaxy and 3D Land instead of a 3D Adventure game like Mario 64 and Sunshine. 3D and 2D are dimensions. If you can move around in 3D the game is 3D. If you're doing platforming in 3D that's 3D platforming, not "2D gameplay in 3D space".

In my opinion it looks like what 3D Mario should have always been in the first place. It cuts a lot of the fat from the adventure style games by focusing on tight/dense challenging platforming while still retaining adventure elements in a less tedious format.

The Mario trailers pushed me over the edge. Picking up a used WII U deluxe still with the box, 5 games, 1 wii mote plus and a wired classic controller for 300. I think thats a pretty good deal?

I'm 99% sure I know the answer to this, but I'm asking anyway in the slim hope that I'm wrong... can you play online with this game? Or is it local coop only?

Top Bottom