• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario 3D World hands-on, gameplay

It's not literally 2D, but that's the perception. When the view shifts and you get that semi-leveled camera angle, or the high almost isometric stuff, and there isn't much to do with the camera because the entire level is right there, it gives off a 2D vibe. Yes you can still move on the Z axis or whatever you want to call it, but it's not really free form platforming where camera control in a 3D environment becomes important. Like you say, it's tight, highly focused platforming challenges.

And I didn't say "2D gameplay" I said "2D Mario" which means essentially bringing the 2D series straight into 3D which is exactly what you described. Tight/dense platforming challenges with very little of the "adventuring." Yes, 3D Land and 3D World are probably more faithful translations of classic Mario to 3D than 64, Sunshine, or even Galaxy. Where the complaints come from are the people who want to see a game where you're dropped into large playgrounds and spinning the camera means looking toward another challenge and more progression is made with the 64/Sunshine/Galaxy 3rd person follow cam instead of the super controlled angles we see here. To you, 3D World looks like what 3D Mario should've been in the first place, but some other people don't want 2D and 3D Mario crossing the streams as much.

I'm buying the game and I think it looks fun, but I understand where the other side is coming from and a part of me feels the same way. For some it's too traditional. It's too much like the 2D series'. It doesn't feel as grandiose as they'd like the console followup to the Galaxy series to be. Doesn't seem like such a crazy opinion to me.

I think it's hilarious that having a better view of a level and not having to manage the camera as much is now considered a negative.

The very first button I press upon entering any level in Mario 64 is down-C to zoom the camera out.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Whoo hoo...

It just keeps getting better... the best parts of the Mario games, all combined into one title.

SMB3 powers + SMB2 characters + NSMBW multiplayer + SMG gameplay + SM3DL concept

The only thing this game is missing at this point is Yoshi... or did someone confirm him?

Watching them direct feed footage from Nintendomination really lets you hear the sounds in this game, from the music to the sound effects and voices. Its all superb.

Nintendo said this game is to help transition 2d mario gamers to play 3d mario.

It makes me wonder, if thats the main reason why they're doing this game, they must have big ambitions for the next 3d mario, thats similiar to the style of galaxy/sunshine/64.

Laieon

This hasn't been on my radar at all, largely because I'm not a fan of the 2D platforming Mario games as much as I am, say, Mario 64, but I might be keeping my eye on this.

Kandinsky

God I hate that annoying little pause when somebody dies, infuriating shit. Why do they keep that stuff in every single multiplayer Mario game, I just don't get it.

Day never.

plank

Enjoying the footage, but "what do bells have to do with cats" is a bit cringe-worthy, even putting aside that they don't know where the Tanooki Leaf comes from...

Bells are usually associated with bells on a cats collar. And the leaf Tanooki connection comes from a Japanese myth as the Tanooki spirit use the leaf to help it transform into things.

MYE

God I hate that annoying little pause when somebody dies, infuriating shit. Why do they keep that stuff in every single multiplayer Mario game, I just don't get it.

Day never.

I'm guessing its a visual cue to signal other players than one of them dun goofed

Berordn

Day never.

...where? I'm watching 1-5 and they die around 1:37 and the living players don't skip a beat.

Day never.

Almost as bad as hit pausing in games like force unleashed. Drives me crazy when games stop the frame for arbitrary reasons.

Kandinsky

I'm guessing its a visual cue to signal other players than one of them dun goofed
Sure but in my experience it fucks up the rest of the team, that millisecond is incredibly annoying especially when you're jumping around enemies and platforms.
...where? I'm watching 1-5 and they die around 1:37 and the living players don't skip a beat.
You need to watch closer, it's there. :p

Edit: I dont mean in that video (I havent watched it), but not reason to not be there, if it's present in others.

RagnarokX

I'll just leave this right here...
ibqMWtOR4PGX4f.gif

Berordn

It's not. And it's around 2:10, not 1:30. But two characters die within a few seconds of each other (and Peach dies again a few seconds later) and there's zero pause in the gameplay for any of them.

Where are you seeing it?

edit: you're not talking about death, you're talking about getting hit and going losing powerups.

Bells are usually associated with bells on a cats collar. And the leaf Tanooki connection comes from a Japanese myth as the Tanooki spirit use the leaf to help it transform into things.

I am aware. I was quoting what they said in their first video.

God, I'm missing Galaxy's Spin Jump already. That kind of "double jump" feature made 3D Marios way more accessible and fun in my opinion. I can't see it in 3D World videos...:(

Sure but in my experience it fucks up the rest of the team, that millisecond is incredibly annoying especially when you're jumping around enemies and platforms.

Edit: I dont mean in that video (I havent watched it), but not reason to not be there, if it's present in others.

It does happen when they get or lose a power. Not when they die, though.

At least it's more noticeable with the power ups.

Kandinsky

It's not. And it's around 2:10, not 1:30. But two characters die within a few seconds of each other (and Peach dies again a few seconds later) and there's zero pause in the gameplay for any of them.

Where are you seeing it?
Check the Eurogamer videos.

Edit: I guess it doesnt happen when you actually die, but when you get hit, lose a power up or when you gain one, that's even worse!

You can share invincibility with other players by touching them, that's a very smart inclusion.

God, I'm missing Galaxy's Spin Jump already. That kind of "double jump" feature made 3D Marios way more accessible and fun in my opinion. I can't see it in 3D World videos...:(

There is a mid-air spin move, I've seen it, I think if it adds anything to your jump, it's closer to New SMB than Galaxy.

I'll just leave this right here...
ibqMWtOR4PGX4f.gif

The Toad difference.

Check the Eurogamer videos.

Edit: I guess it doesnt happen when you actually die, but when you get hit, lose a power up or when you gain one, that's even worse!

I don't think it has ever affected my gameplay in the NSMB games. There's always single player too.

Toad giving no shits about his slower companions lol

Peach is screwed.

zroid

Banned
Enjoying the footage, but "what do bells have to do with cats" is a bit cringe-worthy, even putting aside that they don't know where the Tanooki Leaf comes from...

Ah it's a Let's Play. If there weren't some stupid discussion, it just wouldn't feel right. :p

Amikami

Banned
The 180 people's opinions have taken on this game since June is amazing lol

Hey, I was always a believer and defended the game. But even for me, all I can say is "wow" because the game still looks so much funner than it did that E3, and thats not to say that Mario is generally boring to me, but this game looks amazing. Looks like the team has really outdone themselves.

There is a mid-air spin move, I've seen it, I think if it adds anything to your jump, it's closer to New SMB than Galaxy.

I hope you are right, I got addicted to the mid-air spin in Galaxy 1 and 2 and I didn't enjoy 3D Land as much because it didn't have it, couldn't really adjust to play without it...

Can't watch the video but really?

Italian plumbers, a human Princess, and a mushroom-headed dwarf are saving a fairy kingdom from a giant turtle and his minions by jumping on them and these guys are worried about whether bells making the heroes instantly put on cat suits makes sense?

zroid

Banned

Italian plumbers, a human Princess, and a mushroom-headed dwarf are saving a fairy kingdom from a giant turtle and his minions by jumping on them and these guys are worried about whether bells making the heroes instantly put on cat suits makes sense?

They only mentioned it for like a few seconds lol. It wasn't a big deal. More like one guy wondered if there was a relationship between the two, and other said, well what does a leaf have to do with tanookis?

They only mentioned it for like a few seconds lol. It wasn't a big deal. More like one guy wondered if there was a relationship between the two, and other said, well what does a leaf have to do with tanookis?

Fair enough, then. I would have thought the bell/cat reference was obvious enough. Maybe Nintendo should release a video detailing the relationship in detail, along with the new mouse enemies so people 'get it'.

oatmeal

Banned
Dear Nintendo...

Don't release any media until a couple of months prior to release. It's always disappointing and then you blow us away later.

Or maybe that's the point. Not sure.

RagnarokX

I think the bad part is that they don't know what bells have to do with cats. Granted they're the wrong kind of bells, but bells are very firmly associated with cats, usually this kind of bell:
BuqQY3w.jpg

If you own a cat that goes outdoors it is highly recommended you put a bell on it so that it can't prey on the wildlife. Pet cats tend to become apex predators in their area and can decimate the local wildlife if not put in check with bells.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

god, I hate EG. Even my hyper old granma knows that a fucking bell is usually associated with cats' collars, and that cats usually love playing with bells

Top Bottom