• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario 3D World hands-on, gameplay

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Multiplayer looks completely illegible in those new vids, so I can sorta understand why the sudden refocus on single player videos after E3.

2 concurrent players seems like the absolute limit to understandable gameplay in modern Mario's.
Whenever my friends and I play 4-player NSMB at least one of us always remarks on how easy it is to cheat the system a lot of times and laments that they never make challenging games.

Different strokes.

Lijik

IGN solves a puzzle:

iESwB19P9jORL.gif

Amazing

I'm begging for another Mario 64! This one looks solid though, if not a bit bland. Some of it reminds me of Wario World on GCN.

Oooh now that you mention it, the isometric view does give off a Wario World vibe haha.

Zing

Banned
I acquired a Wii U today with a used copy of NSMBU and Nintendo Land. This game, along with Mario Kart 8 is the reason. I'm avoiding any further videos or gifs, so I have no idea why I am in this thread.

RagnarokX

Also, here's our first look at the World 3 world map:
iTo9IJvlTKMYx.gif

An ice world with train tracks.

3-1: Snowball Park
3-2: Ghost house
3-3: ???
3-4: Pretty Plaza Panic
3-A: Magikoopa Blockade
3-5 or 6: Underground level
3-7: Switchboard Falls

Oddly 3-5 or 3-6 appears to be missing. I think the underground level is 3-5 and the pipe leads to 3-6. It's a split path. That means 3-5 has a hidden exit or something. The ghost house also has a hidden exit with a path leading somewhere else.

Kinsei

Banned
In the video that the OP linked did Toad do a corkscrew while long jumping? If my eyes aren't playing tricks on me then he is easily the best character.

Mondy

Banned
WUT, Mushroom from a block falling towards the camera instead of to the right??

DISHONOR! Dishonor on your whole family!

WUT, Mushroom from a block falling towards the camera instead of to the right??

DISHONOR! Dishonor on your whole family!

In SMB3, many items would move in a direction dependent on which way you were facing when you hit the block. If I remember right, 1ups would intentionally move in the opposite direction, so a trick was to face backwards when you hit the block, especially when riding moving lifts.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
In SMB3, many items would move in a direction dependent on which way you were facing when you hit the block. If I remember right, 1ups would intentionally move in the opposite direction, so a trick was to face backwards when you hit the block, especially when riding moving lifts.
In SMB3, it's dependent on which side you hit the block from. Hit the left side, the item moves to the right, and vice versa.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Pros: Great music and graphics

Cons: Too hard, why couldn't they have something explicitly telling us what to do, which if it were in the game I'd complain as being excessive handholding, but I digress

4/10

Don't forget about the controls. "The controls are broken because it doesn't read my mind and doesn't go into the direction I want despite what I press/push with my fingers"

In SMB3, it's dependent on which side you hit the block from. Hit the left side, the item moves to the right, and vice versa.

Oops, just looked it up, TMK says you're right. Funny, could have sworn facing direction was what determined it. All well, point still stand, it wasn't a hard set rule that power-ups moved right in even the original games.

Terrell

Don't forget about the controls. "The controls are broken because it doesn't read my mind and doesn't go into the direction I want despite what I press/push with my fingers"

You forgot about writing how it doesn't justify the Gamepad's existence as though that were a factor in the game being any good. I'm sure that we'll hear that pissing and moaning from reviewers, no matter how completely brainless that whole train of thought is.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Expected it to sound exactly the same when I clicked.

Sounds so much better tho
Yeah. It sounds absolutely fantastic. I'm super excited for this game. It'll probably top Galaxy 2 for me. 3D Land is on par with Galaxy 2 and World looks amazin'

IGN solves a puzzle:

iESwB19P9jORL.gif

JESUS Christ.

And people wonder why they don't include online coop. If so called "professionals" can't work with each other being next to each other solving a simple puzzle...

And you KNOW you will always encounter SOME idiots ruining the play by fucking up puzzles like that on purpose. And it would happen alot.

No, people playing badly is not justification to leave out an optional alternative to local multiplayer. Most people can coordinate a simple puzzle like that, even without voice chat. And if you play with friends, "that one guy who trolls everyone" shouldn't be an issue, unless you have an asshole friend to begin with.

There may be other, legitimate reasons to not include online play, but "IGN can't solve a puzzle quickly" isn't one of them.

Oh look, someone attentive.
Attention to details is always the most important part of gaming.
The individual scoring system seems like a great idea. I think this game should be online for sure.
Exactly.
No, people playing badly is not justification to leave out an optional alternative to local multiplayer. Most people can coordinate a simple puzzle like that, even without voice chat. And if you play with friends, "that one guy who trolls everyone" shouldn't be an issue, unless you have an asshole friend to begin with.

There may be other, legitimate reasons to not include online play, but "IGN can't solve a puzzle quickly" isn't one of them.

I have that exact set of grimey asshole friends.... and goddamn it's so fun fucking each other up to come out on top. Nintendo raised us right. But yeah, Nintendo really should start stepping outside of the living room in order to bring their players together. They're making some strides community wise, and even with games like Animal Crossing, and stuff like Miiverse and Street Pass, but they really have to expand it into their bread and butter.

deleted

I didn't read the whole thread and I'm trying to avoid the previews - Did anyone mention if the controls are fully analog with the gamepad or pro controller? Or is it 8-way all the time?

RagnarokX

Oh look, someone attentive.

That's not what's happening, though. No strategy is being employed. The Toad and Luigi players stop playing after they are told that they are messing it up. Mario and Luigi both miss opportunities to hit the last switch and get the points. Mario may have been trolling at the end.

Top Bottom