• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario 3D World hands-on, gameplay

daakusedo

i0rqvZUm3tO1M.gif

Looks like an elaborate choreography.

The cat power-up has potential to be my favorite Mario power-up. Often the non-temporary power-ups are 1) Cute but kinda shitty outside specific areas(Bee Mario, Frog Mario on land, Giant/Tiny Mario in NSMB, or 2) stupidly overpowered to the point they trivialize the level design(The Cape, 3DLand's Tanooki Suit). Cat Suit is not only adorable, but it also gives you new ways to interact with enemies and the environment, without "lololol let me just float/fly over all these obstacles" OP status

Penguin

the fuck

how can people who play games for a living be so bad at games

the first time I played the 3D World demo I long jumped and cat dived my way through the entire level in like 30 seconds lol

Most people will usually tell you
It's tough to talk and play at the same time.

Or describe and play I guess

Because we talk and play with online games all the time.

Nintendo mentioned, there is also advanced moves with the catsuit for the competitive player that can be used to figure out the fastest time while traversing through a level.

That title screen is awesome. Now just need to see it on my tv in 60fps.

Is it still movement into 8 directions only?

Seems like it. That must be part of Nintendos plan to transition 2d players, to 3d.

The game looks like an absolute blast. But I have to say, purely talking aesthetics (visuals and music), this doesn't even touch the feet of the Galaxy games.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The full intro is actually kind of amazing.

There's usually so little allowance for expressiveness or breaking the fourth wall in the mainline Mario games. Much more common to see stuff like that in an Alpha Dream game and such.

If Miyamoto is going to consider Mario and friends actors who are playing along with whatever the premise of the game is (which I don't think is a bad thing), then they should take advantage of that. Sharper humor, more self-awareness.

Anteo

Actual Plumbing.... goty

Once again - anything on the controls being restricted to 8 way digital instead of full analog?

Yes, 8 way. Not even the galaxies required more than 8 ways for any of the stages so I don't think is a bad thing, also in 3D land the restriction varied from stage to stage, in some areas we got full 360.

The music makes this scene imo

dan2026

I realise this is not exactly the thread for it, but is Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS worth my money. I'm not so much worried about the quality of the game as the challenge.
Not enough challenge I mean.

I realise this is not exactly the thread for it, but is Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS worth my money. I'm not so much worried about the quality of the game as the challenge.

It is a really good game, you won't regret the purchase. Is challenging once you unlock the 2nd playthrough.

Anteo

Well since you should know this by now, the "master quest" (yes I'm talking about Mario 3d land) is the best part of this game.

arab

i'm one of the least supportive people when it comes to nintendo and mario games as of late but i cannot deny the improvements they've made since it was first revealed.

this looks really fun

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Is this the first time Mario actually did his actual job? Fixing pipes.

nope it happened in the Mario & Luigi saga

looks so adorable. it's amazing how a simple animation about two plumbers just plumbing away oozes so much charm!

Like almost every Nintendo game that ends up being amazing ever?
Seriously, they almost always announce Mario games with underwhelming trailers and people go "Is that it?"

"Why is SMG2's main theme such a terrible midi arrangement? Lazy expansion pack shit right there"
"...but hell, at least the levels are rounded and shit. The visual direction doesn't seem too lazy to me because of inconsequential shit, and that's the only thing that matters"

2_Ein2.png

For 8 worlds there isn't much challenge. Then the next 8 worlds are challenging.

Calamari41

41 > 38

Mario 3d Land was hailed upon release as an all-time great game, and kept that general honor until the minute the 3D World trailer dropped. Then it became one of the worst games ever and Sunshine became the best ever (all thanks to trolls pushing this narrative nonstop). If you enjoy 3D Mario at all, you will love 3D Land and as others have said, the second half of the game is quite challenging. First half is standard 2D Mario level of difficulty I would say.

Gartooth

Is there any footage about how the Toad Brigade Captain plays? I remember seeing him playable for a split second in the original trailer, but I have no idea if it is just a minigame or what.

Lijik

Lol the way Mario and Luigi fixed that pipe all plumber like was adorable and awesome! This game sure has a lot of charm something 3D Land lacked.

I disagree. From the between world animations of Mario catching the postcard and reacting, to bringing back the old school artstyle, to the
animation on some of the enemies and bosses 3D Lands charm was small doses that went a long long way. Theres a light disney-esque quality to it without having to be grandiose that i really appreciate. Like the charm you get from an early Mickey Mouse short as opposed to a full on feature.

Top Bottom