• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York bombing: Ahmad Khan Rahami IDed as suspect (Up: Arrested)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is this some sort of #notallmosques?

Because unlike yourself I would not try to say all x hundred thousand/million mosques are 1:1 replicas of each other. So is this another attempt to shut me down because I dared say something distasteful could be preached in a mosque?

Well you make some very wide ranging comments that are just vague enough to not come off as truly ignorant and prejudiced so you tell me.

Can't say I'm surprised that a terrorist in NYC is a foreign born Muslim. Thank goodness he was caught before he successfully killed a bunch of innocent people whose only crime was not believing in the same fairy tale as him. Hopefully he rolls on his accomplices.

Sorry for the folks who really wanted a white/Christian terror cell (what the fuck makes a person post this kind of comment in the first place?) this time around. I'm sure the people injured by these attacks would have been happy to know that Islam (a doctrine beyond reproach, especially in the ways it handles women's and gay rights) was finally not the reason a shitload of innocent people were attacked for a religion.

Well this was completely unnecessary and against pretty much the entire flow of the conversation.

You're aware most have bern American born eh?

This is the exception not the rule.

HStallion

Can't say I'm surprised that a terrorist in NYC is a foreign born Muslim. Thank goodness he was caught before he successfully killed a bunch of innocent people whose only crime was not believing in the same fairy tale as him. Hopefully he rolls on his accomplices.

Sorry for the folks who really wanted a white/Christian terror cell (what the fuck makes a person post this kind of comment in the first place?) this time around. I'm sure the people injured by these attacks would have been happy to know that Islam (a doctrine beyond reproach, especially in the ways it handles women's and gay rights) was finally not the reason a shitload of innocent people were attacked for a religion.

This goes for every religion dude. Stop being a prejudiced jack ass with tunnel vision.

You chastise others for doing exactly what you're doing now. Enjoy the victory lap though, real civil.

I'm sincerely floored that they caught this guy less than 3 hours after putting out the alert.

Seriously incredible police work. The cops really deserve to get all the credit in the world for putting this guy to bed immediately.

We've had attacks almost every month this year in some fashion or another, whether in the US or abroad there will absolutely be more attacks.

I mean directly related to this. Live cell actively operating in NYC in the coming months is news, especially considering the candidates. Lone wolf or cell neutralized within hours with no deaths means back to your regularly scheduled nonsense soon.

Hoo-doo

Banned
160919114333-01-rahamk9jqk.jpg

Seems like he got hit in the arm? Glad they caught the bastard though.

You guys ever seen four lions? I think it does a pretty good job capturing the intellectual ineptitude of these guys

Given the lack of serious injuries (fingers crossed that applies to the police officer he shot too) from this, that same thought crossed my mind earlier.

The Argus

Excellent work NYPD/NJ Task Force! Glad they got him alive, way more useful than dead. Now to get the rest of this possible cell...

Jeels

I'm going to bail out of this thread after seeing people okay with a religious ban in the United States of all countries. I have no interest in engaging people who actually seriously think that.

It makes me honestly feel unsafe.

Thanks to some of the other posters like JP_ for sharing their thoughts.

So you don't think they believe in the afterlife, despite them directly telling you?

Do you think Donald Trump really wants to Make America Great Again? Maybe a little, but he seems a bit more self-interested in than that. But it does sound nice.

Sometimes people let their own marketing efforts go to their head a bit and they start to believe it to some extent, even if their real-world goals are more calculated.

Good thing they caught him.

How can you be racist against a RELIGION?

Are you Scientology-racist?
Because in the end, from a practical standpoint, if you want to systematically apply a rule to a member of a given religion, either you're going to ask them to wear a distinctive sign, or you're going to make asssumptions based on someone's race or country of origin.
Ask Sikhs who are confused for Muslims what they think about that, or middle eastern Christians.

The reason why people were expressing those sentiments is because statistically, the amount of radicalized Muslims in the world is extremely minuscule and not at all representative of the religion as a whole. Every time something like this happens it only empowers bigoted islamophobes while not getting us any closer to resolving any issue. It serves no one and only further draws the schism deeper.

But something tells me you already knew that. Thanks for contributing to the schism, I hope the thought at least crossed your mind while you were typing up that smug paragraph.

platocplx

They already caught him? That was fast. Kuddos.
Yep glad they caught him fast. Crazy how one persons hatred is cancelled out by others greed when they were taking up the backpacks and suitcases lmao. Kinda crazy on all fronts here.

It just goes to show how much better the US has been in regards to reacting to terror attacks. I just hate that this will bring more hatred rhetoric instead of embracing muslim communities working with them and make them feel safe and allow for those communities to help thwart attacks. Because the all Muslims x and hatred of their religion just makes things worse.

You chastise others for doing exactly what you're doing now. Enjoy the victory lap though, real civil.
No victory lap, just disappointment that posters on the front page of both threads are more concerned that Trump supporters will feel empowered than determining the actual motivation for the attack.

Just blows my mind that that's the first thing that comes to mind for some folks. Every single thread, it's "please don't be Muslim" rather than "hope they catch the fucker."

And no shit, the problem isn't with all Muslims. Only idiots think that. Hell, I lived in Dubai for 8 years and have been immersed in middle eastern culture for a long while. But the urge to run to the defense to the religion as a knee jerk reaction to any attack is bothersome, as it attempts to shut down any legitimate criticism of the doctrine.

Specific criticism like this is exactly what I want to see... because Anjem Choundary deserves criticism. Ahmad Khan Rahami deserves criticism.

But when you take away the names, or the organisations, or the specific form of Islam you're talking about, that's when you fuck up. That's when you feed bigotry the likes of which Donald Trump espouses. That's when you risk making targets of normal everyday people who just happen to have a different religion.

Maxim726X

This goes for every religion dude. Stop being a prejudiced jack ass with tunnel vision.

And there is a particular religion that is objectively worse than others.

Before someone else claims that it's due strictly to geopolitical circumstance- read the fucking texts. There is considerably more violence in the Quran than there is any other major religious text.

Do you think Donald Trump really wants to Make America Great Again? Maybe a little, but he seems a bit more self-interested in than that. But it does sound nice.

Sometimes people let their own marketing efforts go to their head a bit and they start to believe it to some extent, even if their real-world goals are more calculated.

This is the kind of response that baffles me. Are we now at the point where people can honestly claim that followers of these extremist groups don't actually believe what they're fighting for?

Audioboxer

Which mosque did he preach in?

He did preach on BBC newsnight and Fox news though.

More reading on him here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...y-the-firebrand-cleric-linked-to-a-string-of/

East/Central London Mosques.

I mean if you Google there is many issues that crop up with mosques in London

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/65...st-group-south-London-Stockwell-Mosque-Ahmadi

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/feb/17/terrorism.religion

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journali...xpayers-are-still-funding-the-extremists.html

Well you make some very wide ranging comments that are just vague enough to not come off as truly ignorant and prejudiced so you tell me.

I like to deal with facts so if radicalisation through preaching occurs I give zero fucks where it has happened, it has happened and that is the problem. Whatever building in whatever place the hate preaching occurred is what I, and more important I hope the law investigates. I'm sorry if that is something you can class as ignorance, as I said I'd rather deal with reality. Religion is given no special "pass" by me when incitement to violence and/or plotting or hate speech against my country or citizens of my country occurs.

But I'm sure any links like those I post above to show not such great things happening inside a mosque are just ignorant.

Specific criticism like this is exactly what I want to see... because Anjem Choundary deserves criticism. Ahmad Khan Rahami deserves criticism.

But when you take away the names, or the organisations, or the specific form of Islam you're talking about, that's when you fuck up. That's when you feed bigotry the likes of which Donald Trump espouses. That's when you risk making targets of normal everyday people who just happen to have a different religion.

When I take away the extremism I'm left with the same criticisms I hurl at Christianity. Beliefs in the supernatural, prayer to heal dying children instead of medicine, abuses of homosexuals, and insane claims about the earth and biology. "Normal" people are always targets when they subscribe to a religion, it's about how they handle criticism and how those doing the critique behave (debate and words are not simply an -ism/phobia because they upset someones belief system). I don't enact violence and I do not go out of my way to tell every religious person my 2 cents because for most people I don't care what they believe or practice behind closed doors. I do however call shit I think is ridiculous, ridiculous, but hey that's freedom of speech right there.

HStallion

Before someone else claims that it's due strictly to geopolitical circumstance- read the fucking texts. There is considerably more violence in the Quran than there is any other major religious text.

I've read the bible, parts of the translated Torah and a recommended translation of the Koran. Guess what? They are all full of rape, violence, murder, slavery and many other horrible things. How about you take your own advice and read some of the texts you talk about like you have a clue.

platocplx

Youre joking right? Lmao how many wars have been in the name of Christianity. You really lack any understanding that the major religions have all their fair shares of violence and death based on belief and radicals from all religions cause injury and harm.

I've read the bible, parts of the translated Torah and a recommended translation of the Koran. Guess what? They are all full of rape, violence, murder, slavery and many other horrible things. How about you read some of the texts you talk about.
Like seriously its like people cherry pick for an agenda when all of these religions have hard violence in different passages and histories of violence against people based on that.

Henkka

Banned

I mean, I can't say for sure what the top brass of ISIS believes. But it seems apparent the average people who join ISIS believe the spiritual stuff about paradise and martyrdom and such.

I really recommend Harris' podcast, I think he does a good analysis. It's not like it's all about religion, and it's known that a bunch of ISIS recruits have bought books like "Islam for dummies". It's also about how ISIS' message appeals to the ego of downtrodden muslim men, who are offered the chance to become spiritual Rambos or whatever... Shooting AK's and fucking sex slaves in the name of God.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Grabbing him alive and this early is a resounding success in all fronts. Public safety, law enforcement and sane minded politics won today.

FyreWulff

Well this was completely unnecessary and against pretty much the entire flow of the conversation.

You're aware most have bern American born eh?

This is the exception not the rule.

It's pretty consistent that newly minted atheists or scaled-back religious are pretty much Christian-crusader lite. They drop most of the religion they've left but keep the anti-other religions aspect and try to couch it in made up objectivity like "it's the doctrine, not the people!" while ignoring that their ex-religion calls Jews "the darkness".

Maxim726X

Youre joking right? Lmao how many wars have been in the name of Christianity. You really lack any understanding that the major religions have all their fair shares of violence and death based on belief and radicals from all religions cause injury and harm.

LMAO you didn't read the post LOL.

Compare the religious text. And to the smug poster above- They have all been compared numerous times. Objectively speaking, the Quran refers to acts of violence more than any other.

No, there isn't, but thanks for the lies. And somehow, I very much doubt you've "read" any of the texts, beyond convenient snippets fed to your by agenda-laden groups.

What a disgusting, despicable post. Amazing that I know thousands of Muslims, and have yet to meet a violent one, even though they follow an "objectively worse" religion.

No victory lap, just disappointment that posters on the front page of both threads are more concerned that Trump supporters will feel empowered than determining the actual motivation for the attack.

Just blows my mind that that's the first thing that comes to mind for some folks. Every single thread, it's "please don't be Muslim" rather than "hope they catch the fucker."

And no shit, the problem isn't with all Muslims. Only idiots think that. Hell, I lived in Dubai for 8 years and have been immersed in middle eastern culture for a long while. But the urge to run to the defense to the religion as a knee jerk reaction to any attack is bothersome, as it attempts to shut down any legitimate criticism of the doctrine.

And that's why the very first thing you said was glad he was caught...

Oh wait that was the second thing you said after patting yourself on the back for guessing he was a foreign born muslim (as if that's even the actual profile)

It's just crazy that all this happened by me. I was in NYC Saturday evening to grab Pokémon and Linden is just 20 mins down Route 1 from me. Its one thing to have all this happen in an area far away and read about it, but it's another to have it happen in your backyard.

platocplx

LMAO you didn't read the post LOL.

Compare the religious text. And to the smug poster above- They have all been compared numerous times. Objectively speaking, the Quran refers to acts of violence more than any other.
I read the post and you saying that shit is nonsense. Saying one is worse than the other when clearly its your biased bigoted opinion doesn't make you remotely correct.

Some good news for a change. No innocent victims and they caught him alive.

Are they sure it's him? I mean, are they sure that he planted the bombs?

RootCause

Best case scenario considering the circumstances. Hopefully they're able to get some valuable info from him, and they can capture all of those involved.

I've read the bible, parts of the translated Torah and a recommended translation of the Koran. Guess what? They are all full of rape, violence, murder, slavery and many other horrible things. How about you read some of the texts you talk about.

I think what he's saying is that modern Islam has a higher degree of currently living people committing these radical acts. It sucks for the average Muslim who doesn't ascribe to these beliefs, but it still remains that this shit is happening whereas you don't see this kind of radicalism in modern Christianity, Judaism, etc.

Hand waving and saying "Yeah, well, all religions are bad" is something that doesn't need to be said in this discussion and solves nothing. Don't excuse one religion because other religions do it, or were more radical at one point, too.

Grabbing him alive and this early is a resounding success in all fronts. Public safety, law enforcement and sane minded politics won today.
Definitely a good result, and how these situations should be handled instead of fear-mongering.

HStallion

I like to deal with facts so if radicalisation through preaching occurs I give zero fucks where it has happened, it has happened and that is the problem. Whatever building in whatever place the hate preaching occurred is what I, and more important I hope the law investigates. I'm sorry if that is something you can class as ignorance, as I said I'd rather deal with reality. Religion is given no special "pass" by me when incitement to violence and/or plotting or hate speech against my country or citizens of my country occurs.

But I'm sure any links like those I post above to show not such great things happening inside a mosque are just ignorant.

It does come off as ignorant as you cherry pick the stories that push your agenda and make these over arching loaded statements that do come off as ignorant and prejudiced. I could link a dozen stories about how Muslims and mosques have come together with their communities to do good and make some silly statement on the opposite end about how there are no bad Muslims ever.

platocplx

No, there isn't, but thanks for the lies. And somehow, I very much doubt you've "read" any of the texts, beyond convenient snippets fed to your by agenda-laden groups.

What a disgusting, despicable post. Amazing that I know thousands of Muslims, and have yet to meet a violent one, even though they follow an "objectively worse" religion.

Absolutely disgusting. I cant believe(well i can because hatred) that people believe that bullshit.

Jb

That and the fact that he didn't manage to kill anyone.
I only wish more terrorists were as incompetent as this dude seems to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom