• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

Firestorm

When I look at the top 10 games of the year, it makes me depressed. It looks like last year's and the year before. I didn't buy any of those games. It's all sequels, shooters, Minecraft, and reiterations of games that I have played before.

Where's the Witcher 3? Until Dawn? Return Of Tomb Raider? Bloodborne? Mario Maker? Splatoon? Metal Gear?

I would say this list is pointless like the game of the year lists but it is not. This is what is selling. It sends a clear message to game creators.

Witcher 3: Sequel
Until Dawn: Original
Return of the Tomb Riader: Sequel
Bloodborne: Sequel
Mario Maker: Sequel
Splatoon: Shooter
Metal Gear: Sequel

TsuWave

Not a single exclusive did, no Bloodborne either. Assuming you are talking about the full year

nah i meant month, i thought it would've charted because i think i read somewhere that it sold > a million cumulative now so i thought it had a really good month

Chris1

Holy shit at that best selling top 10 line, just when you thought MS PR couldn't get any better they come out with something that knocks everything else out the park. How the hell do they even come up with half of this stuff lol.

evilr

Banned
Since your thread got closed: WTF is a categorical liar? And why do you even care? He's a PR person, it's his job to spin the truth. And 3.9 shipped is actually 3.9 sold. Just not sold through.

Because it winds me up when people spin, or deceive in some way, actual performance that affects other peoples buying decisions.

Look, Xbox One is a shadow of Xbox 360 and Microsoft executives need to put on a brave face during this difficult time, I understand that. But trying to deceive figures through PR stunts just really ticks me off. They've yet to even apologize to early adopters who had to buy a Kinect because "there would never be a kinectless Xbox One", for example. It affects the industry as a whole.

I mean, look at this NPD's Microsoft's PR statement for goodness sake. It's a complete parody.

Xbox One is the best place for gamers and the only console that has all top 10 best-selling titles of this generation that launched in 2015.

Is it, Microsoft. Is it really? What does that even mean?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This quote is so top tier.

2IGMPDQ.jpg

Fat4all

Banned
This is kinda big news, and encouraging for future development.

We acutally had publisher growth in the Physical space in 2015!

41 publishers put a game into the market in 2015! First time we've had growth there since 2009. That makes me happy.

T83VIFG.jpg

Not all great news though. The overall number of unique titles released in 2015 fell again. We are now under 200 games released per year. That's a bit of a bummer.

waxCuDm.jpg

Under 200, eh? Does this include digital only game releases?

EDIT: duh, of course not :D I need to read more better.

damisa

Not all great news though. The overall number of unique titles released in 2015 fell again. We are now under 200 games released per year. That's a bit of a bummer.

waxCuDm.jpg

It's pretty amazing that just a few years ago there were 4x as many physical games being released.

Welfare

This is kinda big news, and encouraging for future development.

We acutally had publisher growth in the Physical space in 2015!

41 publishers put a game into the market in 2015! First time we've had growth there since 2009. That makes me happy.

T83VIFG.jpg

Excellent!

waxCuDm.jpg

Damn. Probably going to be worse this year as well.

Actually no. NX could save us!

AdanVC

Only a new revolution will save Nintendo.

But seriously this is beyond depressing. I simply cannot understand how NoA manages to literally "survive" with such low numbers. Pretty sure this are their worst holiday results from the last 10 years.

Damn. Probably going to be worse this year as well.

Depends on a few things... NX this year? And will it use physical games of some sort? And then PSVR. Does it come out this year and do VR games come on disc or are they digital only? These two things could swing things a bit higher imo.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's top 13. They're excluding all titles that didn't come out this year. 11, 12, 13 could be titles that came out last year as well. They might not have. Hard to tell at this point.

Oh shit, you're right! For all we know the rest of the top 20 are 2014 titles and Halo 5 eeks in at number 21. Hahaha. Man, I got spun! We ALL got spun!

I guess all you can really deduce from it is this:

- A Microsoft 2015 title (Halo presumably) outsold any Sony or Nintendo 2015 launched title in the US

EvB

They've yet to even apologize to early adopters who had to buy a Kinect because "there would never be a kinectless Xbox One"

Because they forced me to buy that Kinect, I''ll had to send my children to the University of Lincoln , or worse, Hull :(

Sterok

Hopefully Nintendo learns from this not to ignore their handheld. It can still sell perfectly fine in the west, but not if it has absolutely nothing to propel it.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
can someone explain that quote again lol

They are carefully excluding from the ranking the games that released in 2014 or sooner, being GTA, minecraft and COD AW.

This way they can put an Halo 5 there.

I guess my point is that trying to pawn off the sales off Halo 5 as being strictly due to 4 and MCC is incredibly disingenuous when there are plenty of things Halo 5 drops the ball on. Not just in the campaign but the matchmaking issues for multiplayer in Oceania, South America and Japan are a serious problem. They basically make multiplayer unplayable for anyone with a moderately high rank in these regions thanks to wait times often exceeding 1 hour. Yet again we see very little mention of this anywhere.

TLDR: Halo 5 has plenty of issues that are likely to be just as much a factor in its current sales than past mistakes.

Ive discussed the Halo 5 sales and the potential causes many times over on here, on twitter and other places, had I of known I was going to get called "disingenuous" for not writing a much more detailed explanation and consider other factors perhaps I would have buffed it out a bit for you.

I wrote a fairly short response to someone where I just said I thought that actually there were larger mistakes made than Halo 5, personally its a game I enjoyed a lot (I appreciate you don't share that opinion however) and I think there was significant damage done to the franchise which is largely (but also didn't say exclusively...) due to the previous two Halo products that launched at retail for $60: Halo 4 and Halo MCC.

allan-bh

I wouldn't say they're basically equal. Perhaps they're within the same ball park as Ps4 and Xbone are, but I think it is safe to say Ps3 was more powerful than 360.

PS4-XBO gap is much more evident.

PS3 struggled to run multiplat games early in the cycle and later games became identical on both. The only thing that PS3 managed to do was a little advantage in some AAA exclusives against 360 AAA exclusive.

Depends on a few things... NX this year? And will it use physical games of some sort? And then PSVR. Does it come out this year and do VR games come on disc or are they digital only? These two things could swing things a bit higher imo.

I expect most VR games going to be DD .
They only VR games i expect to come on disc are the ones where a disc was already coming .
Like GT , AC , DOAX etc etc .

etta

my hard graphic balls
wait, this possibility of the next xbox launching one year earlier than competitor's is it based on anything (did i miss a rumor) or are you just saying it?
I'm just assuming a "4K games, only on Xbox" type thing.

EvB

Ive discussed the Halo 5 sales and the potential causes many times over on here, on twitter and other places, had I of known I was going to get called "disingenuous" for not writing a much more detailed explanation and consider other factors perhaps I would have buffed it out a bit for you.

I wrote a fairly short response to someone where I just said I thought that actually there were larger mistakes made than Halo 5, personally its a game I enjoyed a lot (I appreciate you don't share that opinion however) and I think there was significant damage done to the franchise which is largely (but also didn't say exclusively...) due to the previous two Halo products that launched at retail for $60: Halo 4 and Halo MCC.

That's not my quote!

PS4-XBO gap is much more evident.

PS3 struggled to run multiplat games early in the cycle and later games became identical on both. The only thing that PS3 managed to do was a little advantage in some AAA exclusives against 360 AAA exclusive.
Ps3 struggled to run multiplat games because devs struggled to harness the cell. If it were more familiar from the beginning, maybe the games wouldn't be that bad.

Bgamer90

Banned
Basically:

Halo 5 is in the top 10 most sold for videogame titles sold in 2015 if you exclude the list of any titles that didn't come out in 2015.

That's what I assume and this game is the reason why Xbox One has the top 10 covered.

I'm also assuming that PS4 has 9 out of the top 10; Definitely a good PR truth twist if so.

Top Bottom