• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2016

Code:
[Nov 2015] Rise of the Tomb Raider - 201,000 / New
[Dec 2015] Rise of the Tomb Raider - 211,000 / 412,000
[Jan 2016] Rise of the Tomb Raider - 27,000 / 439,000

[Nov 2015] XBO Rise of the Tomb Raider - 176,000 / New
[Dec 2015] XBO Rise of the Tomb Raider - 169,000 / 345,000
[Jan 2016] XBO Rise of the Tomb Raider - 23,000 / 368,000

[Nov 2015] 360 Rise of the Tomb Raider - 25,000 / New
[Dec 2015] 360 Rise of the Tomb Raider - 42,000 / 67,000
[Jan 2016] 360 Rise of the Tomb Raider - 4,000 / 71,000
This makes no sense, I thought Rise sold over a million?

Welfare

Lol i hope you're joking. Greenberg's sold thru are retailers, he fooled you guys. With those numbers its impossible to sell "well over" a million.

No, he said sold through, which is different to sold in, and it does make sense that TR sold over 1 million by the end of 2015.

You're late to the TR > 1m party. That was analyzed to death in Dec NPD thread and there's a very reasonable path to that number.

Sometimes it's the same thing .

And sometimes it isn't?

MS had the policies, services and games consumers found more appealing last gen. Would people say "we can all agree we are happy MS is the leader this gen" back then?

No. Because that's silly.

And sometimes it isn't?

MS had the policies, services and games consumers found more appealing last gen. Would people say "we can all agree we are happy MS is the leader this gen" back then?

No. Because that's silly.
The post was senseless after "We can all agree..."
Where did he think he is?

Bastables

I was happier when I didn't have to pay to play online and PS Plus game offerings were much better.
MS proving that you could charge for multiplayer has set an awful precedence for consumers. That the concept was a goer when the market leader was Wii might indicate competition can have adverse outcomes for consumers. If you like simplifications.

demigod

No, he said sold through, which is different to sold in, and it does make sense that TR sold over 1 million by the end of 2015.

No because his sold thru is ALWAYS meant to retailers, thats who pays them. Then explain to me the "well over" part.

Welfare

No because his sold thru is ALWAYS meant to retailers, thats who pays them. Then explain to me the "well over" part.

No, after being asked for clarification on whether it was sold to retailers (sold in) or sold through to consumers, he replied sold through.

"Well over", I don't know. Maybe the ROTW likes Lara more than the US, which I think is the case for previous games in the series.

demigod

Only UK, no?

1m is WW.

I said Europe. I'm pretty sure that list of his is Europe and not just UK, correct me if im wrong.

No, after being asked for clarification on whether it was sold to retailers (sold in) or sold through to consumers, he replied sold through.

"Well over", I don't know. Maybe the ROTW likes Lara more than the US, which I think is the case for previous games in the series.

Believe what you want, but i sure as hell wouldn't believe a liar like Greenberg. The numbers speaks for itself.

EGM1966

Is 1m ever a doubt?

The issue with the phase was the "well over".

It was clear "well over" was an exaggeration.
When a PR or marketing person uses phrases like "well over" you ignore it. It's meaningless which is exactly why they say it.

it could be 1,000,001 sales and PR would still say "well over". They're talking about an indefinite period of time using an indefinite description. Nobody should give it a second thought.

All that matters is the solid number of 1 million.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I said Europe. I'm pretty sure that list of his is Europe and not just UK, correct me if im wrong.

Believe what you want, but i sure as hell wouldn't believe a liar like Greenberg. The numbers speaks for itself.

I can't believe this is still a thing... lol.

We don't need to believe nothing, it sold one million. And NPD numbers are nothing, keep in mind that US is not the World.

Welfare

Yeah, numbers say over 1 million lol

If you believe he's lying, then that's ok. Actually no it's not because it's delusional, but it's ok.

The public numbers we have are the US and UK. That's it. Getting to 1 million from there is easy and the math has been done before.

Vena

Proof is only proof if it agrees with the things I want it to prove. Without any real numbers stated as cold hard fact out of the horses mouth, all of these "proofs" are just circumstantial evidence leading to a conclusion but not proof!

You may say all those numbers add up to over a million, I say you counted wrong or the wrong thing. I've been keeping a close eye on that math stuff and I know it can be variable. Why else would Indiana try to define Pi as a definite number!? Math is clearly irrational and needs to seek serious psychological therapy.

Don't even get me started on this imaginary math... how can you add things that don't exist!?

Welfare

Proof is only proof if it agrees with the things I want it to prove. Without any real numbers stated as cold hart fact out of the horses mouth, all of these "proofs" are just circumstantial evidence leading to a conclusion but not proof!

You may say all those numbers add up to over a million, I say you counted wrong or the wrong thing. I've been keeping a close eye on that math stuff and I know it can be variable, Why else would Indiana try to define Pi as a definite number!? Math is clearly irrational and needs to seek serious psychological therapy.

Math can even kill! Why have we not locked it up yet?!?!

To be fair, Greenberg does have a tweet from a few years back where he says very specifically that when they say sold through, they mean to retailers, in his words "retailers are our customers."

Whether that is still their way of reporting sales, who knows with Greenburg..

demigod

You also ask for a proof?

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/684140018797953025

But yeah, you don't like this proof so this doesn't count right? ;)

And lol what mean this is not only USA? NPD is USA, and NPD say TR has sold over 400K by end of 2015, withouth bundle, withouth digital...

No shit sherlocke this is NPD. You might want to check what the discussion was about before sticking your nose in. And no Greenberg is not proof, yeah i knew you couldn't provide the facts.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
No shit sherlocke this is NPD. You might want to check what the discussion was about before sticking your nose in. And no Greenberg is not proof, yeah i knew you couldn't provide the facts.

Holy shit, again.

412,000 in USA. no bundle, no digital. let's say digital is 20% of total sales... 515,000 in USA. Let's say the bundle has sold only 5k, yes is a super limited bundle but this is still very low, but let's say 5k.

USA is what, 90% of NA? 575,000 in NA then.

UK is well over 100K by first week of December, and since that, the game always charted in TOP 20, and XenoBlade was at #32 with 10k of sales.

So, >200K in UK including digital are super likely.

And only with UK and NA we can have almost 800K.

France and Germany.

Let's say those countries are only 50k both, this is super unlicky since in France, WITHOUTH DIGITAL the first week was 26,000, but ok let's say those countries are including bundle and digital only 100K ( which is impossible, this is too low).

Almost 900K only NA+UK+FRA+GER.

...Is one million worldwide still impossible? :)

And now you will probabily thing "but those numbers are just speculation" indeed they are, i mean i don't even know why i write those numbers, one million is ALREADY confirmed, i should not even say a possible scenario for tell you that 1 million is possible, but since you guys believe 1 million can't be possible, i need to write all this stuff for people like you.

Vena

Guesstimations, lol.

Guesstimates that follow a logical and based flow of thought and mathematical processing are valid unless, in the case of disagreement, provided counter evidence of wrong or misplaced data handling.

Scoffing at a guess for being a guess, even if informed, is a fallacy of argument.

Welfare

To be fair, Greenberg does have a tweet from a few years back where he says very specifically that when they say sold through, they mean to retailers, in his words "retailers are our customers."

Whether that is still their way of reporting sales, who knows with Greenburg..
Pretty clear.

Tone it down there buddy. Greenberg is proof, even if you don't like him.

You can't say every game has a 20% digital attach rate.
That is an average that rises every year. What would you say TR digital ratio would be? You can't.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Guesstimations, lol.

-
And now you will probabily think "but those numbers are just speculation" indeed they are, i mean i don't even know why i write those numbers, one million is ALREADY confirmed, i should not even say a possible scenario for tell you that 1 million is possible, but since you guys believe 1 million can't be possible, i need to write all this stuff for people like you.
-

You can't say every game has a 20% digital attach rate.

Indeed for what we know they can even be bigger lol. You can't know this, for what we knwo, ROTT digital sales can be even 30%, and you have no source for say this is not possible.

The fact is one. Greenberg said 1 million. And say this is not true.

Since you are the only who asked for a proof, now is my turn.

Tell me the proof which have Tomb Raider under 1 million.

Top Bottom