• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Imagine the sequel of Lost putting worse numbers than The Good Wife, wouldn't be that quite bad?

That's the scenario we are looking there, YoY is meaningful for Nintendo if they can't make the Wii U sold accodingly to their expectations....
The problem with your analogy is we've long since realized the Wii U is a console for Nintendo fans both faithful and returning. Except for those who are simply interested in pointing out how dead it is every month I don't think most realists paying attention to the industry have those kinds of expectations.

I guess it depends how you want to look at the consoles numbers. The bump was an ok number. But if you are only comparing it against the current mainstream consoles then you'll be safe in seeing the console as "dead" every month.

gifs don't work when you have to explain them

Hm....

randomGAFmember said:
NPD Sony & Vita
security-gif-300.gif

baby-drop-o.gif

omgbby.gif

better?

So many people here saying the MK8 bundle didn't do anything, which is completely at odds with what Reggie has said about hardware sales since its release to date.

Gator86

Do you think that Xbone did <WII U? Sounds impossible...

Seems pretty possible. Why wouldn't you wait a few weeks to save a hundred bucks? Can't imagine that many people really want to spend 100 bucks on a Kinect at this point if they can avoid it.

SykoTech

Microsoft is still silent.
Nintendo's dead.
Sony never gives numbers for some dumb reason, even when they dominate.

*sigh*

Guess we wait for leaks.

Oh wow, still no Microsoft PR.

May numbers must be really bad for them.

I genuinely can't remember Microsoft skipped a month of a NPR press release, I suppose they got (rightfully) mocked for the *Xbox Family nonsense a few months back, but even when they got clowned last month, they still had a press release out on embargo time. Numbers must be absolutely dreadful.

Foshy

For those who're keeping track, how often does the "[game] was only out for xx days!" argument have held up in subsequent NPDs?

It's almost always used in some fashion, and as far as I can remember it rarely comes to pass.
It's almost always bullshit. However, Nintendo titles are usually slighty less frontloaded than most AAA games. The fact that the Wii U userbase is small and hardcore kinda negates that though.

I expect Wii U sales in June to be very similar to May, maybe a slight raise (70k). Not breaking 100k for sure though.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Seems pretty possible. Why wouldn't you wait a few weeks to save a hundred bucks? Can't imagine that many people really want to spend 100 bucks on a Kinect at this point if they can avoid it.
Phil hopes it will generate even more Kinect sales though.

FTF

Welp, the PS4 as primary and Wii U as companion console is shaping up to be the flavor of the generation.

Yup, I've been doing this since ps1 + N64 and it's been a great 20 or so years. (Dreamcast being the only non Nintony combo)

Also, nice surprise having this today. Didn't realize it switching from it's usual Thursday (just this month?)

I wonder if PS3 Ghosts and NBA 2K has outsold the XBO versions LTD.

360 seems to be chugging right along in software sales.

I doubt we'll ever know anything close to XBO numbers for this month. Threats of cutting tongues out at MS if any word gets out, lol.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Why hasn't IGN posted its usual NPD article yet? Usually, it contains few other infos.

Top Bottom