• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I know I'm quite late, but thanks Abdiel for your insights.
And, hoping this isn't asking too much, about sales between One and Wii U...what are your impressions on the matter? Did Wii U sell better than One? Did One sell better (and, in the case, I suppose quite better) than Wii U? Or did they sell around the same? Or is it unclear?

urfe

Brain Lord 43,000 :)

Isn't Brain Lord more of a Zelda-esque adventurer?

I just noticed that you replied, thanks!

Really interesting that Brain Lord sold that much in some ways.

Would love to play it again, wish it was on VC!

(I own the original, but it's at the parent's house in Canada)

Abdiel

I know I'm quite late, but thanks Abdiel for your insights.
And, hoping this isn't asking too much, about sales between One and Wii U...what are your impressions on the matter? Did Wii U sell better than One? Did One sell better (and, in the case, I suppose quite better) than Wii U? Or did they sell around the same? Or is it unclear?

No problem at all. I like contributing.

At least from the districts I checked, the wiiu didn't outsell the one. The one didn't clean house or anything, and the wiiu definitely put up a Damn good fight, but maybe the slower replenishment of the mk bundles just kept it from really hammering home? I can't speak for anything outside of best buy, so maybe other vendors did amazingly well with more stock for the wiiu this month, but the one didn't drop off completely or anything. They had a strong e3, which helped garner more positive impressions. We'll have to see how the national scale was impacted.

Square2015

Imagine how amazing it would be if we got weekly HW sales !!!
Back in the late-90s there was a tracker that did this for US sales.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
No problem at all. I like contributing.

At least from the districts I checked, the wiiu didn't outsell the one. The one didn't clean house or anything, and the wiiu definitely put up a Damn good fight, but maybe the slower replenishment of the mk bundles just kept it from really hammering home? I can't speak for anything outside of best buy, so maybe other vendors did amazingly well with more stock for the wiiu this month, but the one didn't drop off completely or anything. They had a strong e3, which helped garner more positive impressions. We'll have to see how the national scale was impacted.

So, in your districts, One won, but by not that much? Did I get it right?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So, in your districts, One won, but by not that much? Did I get it right?

Sounds like it imo. In addition, this is specifically for Best Buy and MK bundle shipments may have been a factor (assuming there was more demand than supply).

Lol, it looks like an overpricing M&L Wii U bundle ($314) is slightly outselling the $399 XB1 on Amazon US this hour (62 for Wii U, 63 for XB1). Clearly by itself doesn't mean much though. However, I haven't seen the Titanfall XB1 bundle on Amazon lately. MS isn't phasing that out, are they?

The Wii sold considerably faster than the PS2 did, actually. But it wasn't at the expense of the PS3 and Xbox 360 - they did far better than the Xbox and Gamecube did the previous gen. The reason for that is because the Wii, by and large, carved out its own demographic. As a result, the industry as a whole was much larger than ever before - but it only lasted a few years, and then the Wii's success evaporated as quickly as it started.

You can't hold the industry to that standard forever.
Maybe not, maybe they'll just go back to PS2/XBOX/GC levels... but oh wait have the game budgets gone back to that level too?

No?

Oh no.

No no no.

Casual definition has changed some consider Call of duty a casual games for me Casual games are games like Cookmama and Nintendo dogs.
Call of duty gamers will always stay on consoles.
Call of Duty Ghosts has sold 20% less than Black Ops 2 which sold less than MW3 which sold less than Black Ops.

The gamers who remain might be on console but where are the rest going?

BKK

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...eo-game-helps-fuel-interest-in-the-world-cup/

Youth soccer has been popular in the U.S. for decades, but FIFA exposes kids to the international game. Total unit sales of the series in the U.S. topped five million over the past two years, according to market research firm NPD. It still trails Madden NFL and NBA 2K among sports games in North America, but it is closing the gap quickly. Unit sales jumped 35% between 2010 and 2012 in the U.S.

The rise of FIFA in the US charts over the last few years has been really noticeable, I wonder if it will eventually surpass NBA 2K or Madden.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...eo-game-helps-fuel-interest-in-the-world-cup/

The rise of FIFA in the US charts over the last few years has been really noticeable, I wonder if it will eventually surpass NBA 2K or Madden.

Hm interesting. Well that's cool in general, since I assume it's driven by genuine interest in soccer in the US =).

Also to those who may know, are these Wii U numbers right?

Nov 2012 - 425K
Dec 2012 - 475K

Jan 2013 - 57K
Feb 2013 - 66K
Mar 2013 - 68K
Apr 2013 - 37K
May 2013 - 33K
Jun 2013 - 42K
Jul 2013 - 29K
Aug 2013 - 31K
Sep 2013 - 93K
Oct 2013 - 50.5K
Nov 2013 - 223K
Dec 2013 - 481K

Jan 2014 - 49K
Feb 2014 - 82K
Mar 2014 - 71K
Apr 2014 - 48K
May 2014 - 61K

leaving the Wii U US LTD at 2.41m?

Hm interesting. Well that's cool in general, since I assume it's driven by genuine interest in soccer in the US =).

Nov 2012 - 425K
Dec 2012 - 460K

Jan 2013 - 57K
Feb 2013 - 66K
Mar 2013 - 68K
Apr 2013 - 37K
May 2013 - 33K
Jun 2013 - 42K
Jul 2013 - 29K
Aug 2013 - 31K
Sep 2013 - 93K
Oct 2013 - 50.5K
Nov 2013 - 223K
Dec 2013 - 481K

Jan 2014 - 49K
Feb 2014 - 82K
Mar 2014 - 71K
Apr 2014 - 48K
May 2014 - 60K

A couple of those are a tad off. But I'd agree with the 2.41 million LTD.

Nicktals

Banned

Well I walk my dog every day. The last 2 days this group of neighborhood kids were playing soccer/legitimate football in their front yards. Granted they were using what appeared to be hockey nets for goals, it's clearly a sign of increased interest at least at present due most likely to the world cup.

Anecdotal of course :)

We were updated on Wii U LTD in April which placed it at 2347k, thus with May's 61k showing it's at I believe 2408k so near enough.

rokkerkory

Hmm did you want to see May's NPD results which came out about a month ago or June's NPD results which releases this Thursday?

For May's NPD results check out post 3396

Yep caught my mistake lol... this is what happens when you cook and GAF at the same time. duh

thanks for the correction.

Kiote

Nov 2012 - 425K
Dec 2012 - 460K

Jan 2013 - 57K
Feb 2013 - 66K
Mar 2013 - 68K
Apr 2013 - 37K
May 2013 - 33K
Jun 2013 - 42K
Jul 2013 - 29K
Aug 2013 - 31K
Sep 2013 - 93K
Oct 2013 - 50.5K
Nov 2013 - 223K
Dec 2013 - 481K

Jan 2014 - 49K
Feb 2014 - 82K
Mar 2014 - 71K
Apr 2014 - 48K
May 2014 - 60K

If these are the numbers pulled from GAF NPD threads, then the numbers are not right. Somewhere in this NPD thread, there are unofficial statements regarding Wii U sales and the YoY growth of Wii U sales. Those official growth numbers do not match the GAF NPD numbers by a significant margin. That said, it's not a significant enough margin to change the conversation around Wii U sales, but it is significant enough to change 2.41m noticeably.

Someone should probably find and correct the info, but I certainly don't have the time for that, and I doubt anyone really cares that much.

If these are the numbers pulled from GAF NPD threads, then the numbers are not right. Somewhere in this NPD thread, there are official statements regarding Wii U sales and the YoY growth of Wii U sales. Those official growth numbers do not match the GAF NPD numbers by a significant margin. That said, it's not a significant enough margin to change the conversation around Wii U sales, but it is significant enough to change 2.41m noticeably.

Someone should probably find and correct the info, but I certainly don't have the time for that, and I doubt anyone really cares that much.

I'd like to see these "official statements."

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I'd like to see these "official statements."

Lol, the Wii U software growth was said to be at 90%, but I don't think there have been any statements about Wii U HW growth yet. By those #s above (60K looks like it should have been 61K), It's up about 18% this year.

A couple of those are a tad off. But I'd agree with the 2.41 million LTD.

Hm, a bunch of these #s I actually pulled from posts of yours, so my guess is that I've messed up the other ones. My sum is about 2406.5K aka 2.4065 million. The 2012 numbers are off the top of my head, so those could be wrong.

Edit: Ah they are, correcting... 2.4205m? That seems off now...

Kiote

Lol, the Wii U software growth was said to be at 90%, but I don't think there have been any statements about Wii U HW growth yet. By those #s above (60K looks like it should have been 61K), It's up about 18% this year.

It was Wii U Hardware that was said to be up by 90% this year. 85% in May specifically. That is how the May Hardware numbers were calculated.

If the numbers I quoted were accurate for last year, 90% growth would put the total for 2014 at 495k not 310. That is a huge discrepancy. It doesn't make Wii U sales good, but it clearly demonstrates that the Number we have are not accurate by a significant margin. Last year was either dramatically over estimated or this year has been dramatically under estimated every month prior to May, by almost 50k a month.

donny2112

It was Wii U Hardware that was said to be up by 90% this year. 85% in May specifically. That is how the May Hardware numbers were calculated.

That's how the first pass numbers were calculated, but it was later clarified that that was a software % increase and not hardware.

donny2112

Ah, good to know, I stopped following this thread a while ago, I never saw that clarification.

YOY Hardware was up ~85% for just May, but the YTD % increase was actually software. The two didn't go together if both were hardware, as there was a huge discrepancy then, as you pointed out. :)

I think it reads like a change in his company's policy since he says he'll no longer be able to tweet from results meetings like Nintendo.

Yeah you're probably right with that

so what´s the deal with MS Xbox One numbers?
Don´t remember seeing it on the last month NPD either..

April was 115k
May was 76k

Quite low so I can understand why they might not give a PR statement although I thought they did for April?

Top Bottom