• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

Toki767

Xbox One up 81 percent YoY, the entire hardware market down 18 percent YoY. So who caused that? I'm guessing PS4 sold a lot more last May than they did this May.

Xbox One also had a price drop. A massive one at that. It was still $500 last year wasn't it?

Crayolan

I'm....surprised that Splatoon is that low. Based on how well it sold the first few days in Japan, and the fact that Nintendo smartly put it out the same day there would be dozens of Nintendo fans lining up outside retail stores for Amiibos, I thought it would have had a shot at being as high as 2 (behind The Witcher). Nintendo is pretty good about giving numbers out, will be curious to see how it did.

3 days of sales and 1 console vs 4 multiplatform games. It did quite well for itself, all things considered.

AdanVC

Seriously, I'm very happy to see Splatoon really high considering only got count like 2 days before deadline for this month. Even Smash continues in top ten! Splatoon deconfirmed to bomb confirmed. All the heavy advertisement Nintendo did for the game payed off really well. Hope that trend continues with Splatoon and more upcoming Nintendo games like Yoshi's Wolly World, Mario Maker and freakin Xenoblade X wich REALLY gonna need it so it doesn't bomb like Bayonetta 2 or in the worst case, like TW101. Keep it up Nintendo!

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Great news for Splatoon! Was worried that it was going to bomb...
Now I wonder if it helped the hardware sales at all?

PS4 continues the regularly scheduled program.

dakun

with those numbers Sony could easily afford to not drop the price and even let Microsoft be 50$ cheaper.
The numbers might get closer and MS might win in the US but Sony leads the rest of the world by so much that it really doesn't make much sense to drop the price prematurely.. much more sense in competing with good value bundles.

Sorry, I'm kinda clueless about how sales numbers work, but I'm wondering, I pre-ordered Splatoon in May, put $5 down for it then, and then picked it up and paid the rest of the price in June; could someone tell me if that would be counted as part of May's sales, or as part of June's sales?

Xilium

Wouldn't get too happy about the game rankings yet. There's a lot of old games on that list which leads me to believe that it was a slow sales month.

Shiggy

Is Minecraft still selling extremely well or has it been a slow month?

Slaton looks to be surprisingly successful. Should show Nintendo that new IPs can be a success if marketed well.

Mooreberg

Big win for CDPR. Warner has been on a roll with publishing lately, and Batman is still to come. GTA V's continued placement is nuts. It could be at sixty million units globally by this time next year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sorry, I'm kinda clueless about how sales numbers work, but I'm wondering, I pre-ordered Splatoon in May, put $5 down for it then, and then picked it up and paid the rest of the price in June; could someone tell me if that would be counted as part of May's sales, or as part of June's sales?

That would be up to how the retailer decided to report it to NPD.

Mrbob

Splatoon could have sold 7 copies at number five since it is a slow month. Still need to pick the game up myself.

Curious to find out how well The Witcher sold overall.

No Nintendo press release as of now, if we dont get it we can assume Splatoon underperformed according to internal expectations?

Top Bottom