• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official The Simpsons movie thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Official Synopsis

It takes a wide screen to fully capture Homer Simpson's stupidity, and The Simpsons Movie does it. In the eagerly-awaited animated feature film based on the hit TV series, Homer must save the world from a catastrophe he himself has created.

Rumoured plotline

It's just another day in the office for Homer, however when he accidentally pollutes the river with toxic waste he is unceremoniously fired from his job at the nuclear power plant. As if this wasn't bad enough, the townsfolk are forced to evacuate Springfield, from Moe's Tavern to the Kwik-E-Mart...quite possibly forever.

Information

- In theatres July 27th (large part of EU: July 25-27th. Other countries are spread across August)
- Runtime: 87 min
- PG 13
- Director: David Silverman
- Writers: Matt Groening, James L. Brooks, Al Jean, Ian Maxtone-Graham, George Meyer, David Mirkin, Mike Reiss, Matt Selman, John Swartzwelder, Mike Scully, and Jon Vitti.
- Starring: Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith, Hank Azaria, and Harry Shearer. Co-Starring: Marica Wallace, Pamela Hayden, Russi Taylor, Tress MacNeille.
Guest Stars: Albert Brooks (as a new character), Green Day, Phil Rosenthal, and Joe Mantegna as Fat Tony.
Tom Hanks is the secret guest star
- You can take a look at the credits here
- Score: Hans Zimmer
- Score has already been leaked.
- Film Roman is doing around half of pre-production work in its new Hollywood Way studio; the other half of pre-production will be taking place at Rough Draft Studios on Brand Blvd. in Glendale. Several old Disney animators are working on the movie.

Impressions (source)

- French fan and Simpsons website owner who has seen the film rates it 8/10. Says it's better than current episodes. Do we trust the French?
- He went on to say that some of the scenes are typical for newer seasons, while others are clearly more like 4-6. The emotional moments are conveyed well.
- Less songs than he expected
- His penis is bigger than Bart's
- Nearly all the scenes from the trailers are in the movie
- About the opening:
The opening of the movie is Green Day's rendition of the Simpsons theme, not Hans Zimmer's

Reviews

Rottenwatch

Media

Trailers

- 3 teasers and the first trailer
- Trailer 2

Clips

- Convenience Store
- Option... 4 (plot spoilers in this one, but it has Albert Brooks' character and it's a good clip.)
- Chainsaw
- Why does everything I whip leave me?
- Spider Pig
- Flanders in Church
- Moe
- GTW
- Access Hollywood
- Part of the Mob
- More Mob
- Clap for Alaska!
- 5 Options

Promos and Posters

8 promos

pt9038.jpg
pt9037.jpg

34608.jpg

afee_1.JPG

Thread will be updated etc.

So there you have it. OFF are finally hitting the big screen. It's still a pretty big event and I'm excited for it, even though my expectations (as with many others probably) aren't through the roof. However, the writer list is pretty impressive. Some of them haven't been actively writing the show for years, but returned for this. Fingers crossed!

oatmeal

Banned
I live right by the CN Tower in Toronto and on the ground at the base they are painting a huge donut with a bite taken out of it. I'm assuming so people looking down from the glass floor in the CN Tower will see it.

But it's style is clearly Simpsons...should be a pretty cool ad.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
explodet said:
I hear there's an Itchy and Scratchy short at the start of the film, any truth to this?

I'm pretty sure there's an I&S short, since you can see glimpses of it in the trailer. Don't know when in the movie it's gonna be though.

btw I'd recommend checking out some of the clips, there are some good new ones.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
All I ask is that Homer isn't too stupid in this incarnation. Please, grant me my wishes!

Rlan

I've actually got the chance to see it this Tuesday at a reviewers function thing, so I'll report back from the perspective of a Simpsons fan who hasn't liked much of the last 8 seasons :lol

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
How can people complain about the totally normal runtime being too short for a movie they haven't seen?

Costanza

Banned
DjangoReinhardt said:
How can people complain about the totally normal runtime being too short for a movie they haven't seen?
Because after 10 minutes of credits listing all of the animators and everyone involved with the movie, it'll end up being under 80 minutes.

DjangoReinhardt

Costanza said:
Because after 10 minutes of credits listing all of the animators and everyone involved with the movie, it'll end up being under 80 minutes.
You're the reason games are padded. Thanks for ruining them for the rest of us.

J2 Cool

Come on, you're telling me you wait 18 years for a movie that's only about a half hour longer than Who Shot Mr Burns 2-parter? And that's "satisfying"? Anyway, I'm not condemning the movie, just think it sucks a bit.

DjangoReinhardt

J2 Cool said:
Come on, you're telling me you wait 18 years for a movie that's only about a half hour longer than Who Shot Mr Burns 2-parter? And that's "satisfying"? Anyway, I'm not condemning the movie, just think it sucks a bit.
No, I haven't mastered the art of foretelling a movie's quality by its runtime so I don't care at this point. If it's missing a third act or there's a 20-minute Mountain Dew commercial in the middle, then I'll care. Maybe I'm on the margin, but I've found that the number of times I think a song/novel/movie/game is too long outnumbers the times I think that a song/novel/movie/game is too short by a factor of several hundred.

If I was inclined to pull anything from the runtime, it would be increased optimism that they actually do have a story to tell and that they're going to tell it without overstaying their welcome to make the movie all things to all fanboys.

Jake.

i'm really surprised at how short it is too. its basically only half an hour longer (if that) than who shot mr burns. had no idea isla fisher was in it, i wouldn't of thought she was 'big' enough to be a star involved.

Mariah Carey said:
I'm not trying to brag or anything, but I've seen it. Got a thumbs up from me. Looking forward to seeing it again opening night!

I don't think I can trust you based on the last movie you were in.

SFA_AOK

Jake. said:
i'm really surprised at how short it is too. its basically only half an hour longer (if that) than who shot mr burns. had no idea isla fisher was in it, i wouldn't of thought she was 'big' enough to be a star involved.

Am I forgetting something or was WSMB? only 2 parts? Those shows are only around 22 minutes each, so this "Only 30 minutes longer that WSMB! WhatDog.gif" seems a little unfair to me...

LM4sure

Banned
SFA_AOK said:
Am I forgetting something or was WSMB? only 2 parts? Those shows are only around 22 minutes each, so this "Only 30 minutes longer that WSMB! WhatDog.gif" seems a little unfair to me...

Yeah, people are including commercials into the runtime of episodes. WTF? Episodes are only 22 minutes long!!!! The movie will be TWICE as long as the Who Shot Mr Burns episodes. Idiots!!!

The runtime's a good thing. The truth is that most cartoons should never make the leap to the big screen--most of the time they end up turning into a 90 minute episode that wears thin around the 30 minute mark. Look at ATHF.

I'm still shocked that this was even made.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Updated the OP with a link to the full credits

Kelsey Grammer/Sideshow Bob isn't in the movie :(
Tom Hanks as guest star confirmed, plays himself

I'm not too hyped. It could be good, but I rarely go to the theaters, and The Simpsons hasn't been good enough lately to warrant the trip.

Although I DID go to two movies in the last month, which is completely abnormal (although this has been an excellent season for movies)

LM4sure

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
If there was a God, the show would still be good.

Hey, we all agree the show sucks now. But the trailers for this movie make it look so good. It's classic Simpsons! A lot of the writers who worked on the movie are from the heyday of the Simpsons. It'll be great!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Here are the first reviews:

Having viewed a screening this morning, I thought I'd throw down my thoughts... seeing as I seem to be the first. The Simpsons Movie is just what you'd expect. The characters are all there, the tone is the same... it really is just a big, cinema scope episode of the show. In order to make the big screen transition seem worthwhile, the stakes have been raised, the animation contains flourishes of detail you'd never normally see, and there are a handful of elements designed to shock certain demographics just enough to get people talking, but not so much as to create any genuine scandal. While funny (particularly in the first half), you can't help but feel a nagging sense of disappointment. Partly for opportunities missed, but mostly because it really is just a super-sized episode of the show from TV. I don't think anyone's going to be surprised by this though - it's not as if they were going to break the format in any major (or even minor) way. After opening with an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon, the titles follow the same format as the series, visiting mainly different locations in Springfield, but being fundamentally recognizable. From there, the first half is well paced and humorous and visits the majority of the characters one hopes to see. Various elements are very effectively set up in the first half and the wheels being very much in motion throughout, once the plot really starts to kick in (about the 40 minute mark) the film starts a gradual slide into mediocrity. The progression of the necessary story events takes a front seat and the humor drops off. Everything becomes quite predictable. It's not that any of it is bad - it's just no better than the show. If you watch it with a crowd, you'll laugh the majority of the time, just don't expect any quantum leap from what you see on TV. Sure, there are some nifty 3D tricks on display (and a few bad ones - check out the sides of screen during the "camera move" through the torch-bearing angry mob and you'll see the figures become pixelated with digital zoom as they pass through extreme foreground), everything is bigger and the stakes are higher, but you won't find a single surprise here. Maybe that's the point though. This franchise has become something of an elder statesman of popular culture, do we really want to see anything change? If you're reading this, you know you're going to see this film. I just advise to free yourself of any unnecessary expectation - you'll enjoy it a lot more if you do. Neither great nor bad, The Simpsons Movie coasts through with the occasional spark of brilliance. Just like the show really.

The movie was fun and packed with laughs particularly in the first 20 or so minutes and is easily one of the funnier Simpsons stories.

The humor is easily aimed at teenagers and up although in Australia, the movie has been given a PG rating which I found quite surprising given some of the adult themes which are scattered throughout the movie.

The storyline is interesting and implausible as you would expect, the only thing it really lacks is something to differentiate itself from the TV episodes. Its familiarity is something it relies upon heavily and it runs for 84 minutes which is slightly too long in the end.

Enjoyable and entertaining, albeit familiar Simpsons formula.

GG-Duo

All I need to know is if it has the same level of writing as the earlier seasons.

I don't care if it's just a longer version of the show. I don't care if the plot is weird. I don't care if it's not super funny at the second half. I just want it to be good :(

Pakkidis

If they wanted the movie to be good they should have got Conan O brian back as a writer. Nearly every episode he has had a part in was amazing.

spliced

I'm glad it's short, I don't want filler added just to pad the runtime. If it was 60 minutes of high quality Simpsons I'd be more then happy.

I wish I could block out all the ads on TV. I don't want to see these scenes 200 times before even seeing the movie.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Pakkidis said:
If they wanted the movie to be good they should have got Conan O brian back as a writer. Nearly every episode he has had a part in was amazing.

Heh. It only took 40 posts this time

koam

Darunia said:
Updated the OP with a link to the full credits

Kelsey Grammer/Sideshow Bob isn't in the movie :(
Tom Hanks as guest star confirmed, plays himself

IMDB says you're wrong about the first part.

Conan O'brian gets too much credit, he wrote like 4 episodes only.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
koam said:
IMDB says you're wrong about the first part.

The official credits and someone who's seen the movie say it's right. btw if you feel the need to see all the characters that appear in the movie, the link states those as well (I think in order of appearance).

Goldrusher

I might check it out on Wednesday...but I don't like theatres. Too expensive, filled with dumb kids and irritating teens.

What to do what to do...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Goldrusher said:
I might check it out on Wednesday...but I don't like theatres. Too expensive, filled with dumb kids and irritating teens.

What to do what to do...

Go late as night as possible

Docpan

It's gonna be amazing. The trailers were so funny.

RUN! RUN!

JUMP! JUMP!

REST! REST!

*gets viciously attacked* :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom