• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official The Simpsons movie thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I am going to see this on Wednesday night after work, which will be afternoon your US time, so I will let you all know how bad it is then.

(Hey, I'm keeping my expectations as low as possible!)

Olivier

koam said:
Conan O'brian gets too much credit, he wrote like 4 episodes only.

Yes but they were 4 very good episodes:

- Treehouse of Horror IV
- Homer Goes to College
- Marge vs. the Monorail
- New Kid on the Block

IMO, he can't get enough credit for penning the monorail episode alone.

Duality

The writers also collaboratively polish each episode, so Conan's influence was probably positive in that regard. But yes, he does get too much credit.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Olivier said:

Eh, especially in the early years, writing a Simpsons script was a group based effort. The assigned writer would do an early draft, but these got heavily rewritten in the room, where everybody contributed jokes and the plot/ending was changed. A Simpsons episode is never the work of one man. Even now every episode undergoes heavy rewrites. So even though Conan contributed lots during the one production run he was with the show, he was just one cog in the wheel. However if you see Homer eating a sandwich or things catching fire for some reason... then you could tell it's Conan.

Every Simpsons writer has staples though. Reiss and particularly Jean love movie parodies and music montages (just look at current episodes and count the number of montages accompagnied by music). Bill & Josh love old timey stuff. Swartzwelder does too. Dave Mirkin loves seeing people get hurt and loves screwing with the audience (look at that lemon shaped rock!... Wait a minute, there's a lemon behind that rock!).

Mike Scully loves seeing Homer get raped by a Panda

Olivier

Darunia said:
Eh, especially in the early years, writing a Simpsons script was a group based effort. The assigned writer would do an early draft, but these got heavily rewritten in the room, where everybody contributed jokes and the plot/ending was changed. A Simpsons episode is never the work of one man. Even now every episode undergoes heavy rewrites. So even though Conan contributed lots during the one production run he was with the show, he was just one cog in the wheel. However if you see Homer eating a sandwich or things catching fire for some reason... then you could tell it's Conan.

Oh. I thought he wrote like 90% of these episodes and then other writers contributed the other 10%.

Alright I guess he *does* get too much credit then.

AniHawk

Darunia said:
Mike Scully loves seeing Homer get raped by a Panda

I always wanted to know the stupid**** responsible for this.

EDIT: Ah crap. He did Marge Be Not Proud, meaning I can't hate him unconditionally.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
You can pretty much blame Scully for every terrible moment in seasons 10-12 since everything goes through him and he has to approve. He may not have come up with it, but he decides whether it makes the cut. It's weird, certainly in season 9 he produced some pretty damn good episodes, but then he let it slip... or he thought the show needed a direction change. Also: after the first season the showrunner has to work on two seasons at once, finishing the one about to air and writing on the new one. This can be the cause, since season 10 started getting some really wacky eps. 11 was the epitome though. He sure as hell loved to see Homer going through serious pain. The most cringeworthy Simpsons moment ever happens in his era, when Homer was attacked by a badger. You couldn't see anything from the outside but then he removes his shirt and all his intestines are showing.

160fs739994.jpg

Those are seriously moments when you think 'why the hell am I still watching this'. It also makes you think who the hell in the writing staff thought this was funny. It doesn't help that the episode this comes from was pretty ****ing terrible in general.

AniHawk said:
EDIT: Ah crap. He did Marge Be Not Proud, meaning I can't hate him unconditionally.

Well maybe his drafts were severly rewritten :p Nah I think he's a good writer (less pressure), but a terrible showrunner.

Also, Mike Scully is responsible for bringing his family to the show. His wife was a writer in the 11-12th seasons and his brother too.

Also, Mr Mike Scully is the creator of such aweome shows as Complete Savages and The Pitts.

The hate for this man on Simpsons messageboard is unparallelled (although the younger public seems to like his episodes). To this day seasons 10-12 are still being discussed.

AniHawk

Sunday, Cruddy Sunday was the first Simpsons episode I never laughed once, and it's the main reason for me NOT to get Season 10 on DVD. It's not a surprise that he wrote it, given his later season episodes.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
AniHawk said:
Sunday, Cruddy Sunday was the first Simpsons episode I never laughed once, and it's the main reason for me NOT to get Season 10 on DVD. It's not a surprise that he wrote it, given his later season episodes.

I think I gave the ridiculous egg painting subplut a few chuckles, just for what it was.

The first episode that happened to me was Maximum Homerdrive. That season is just so hit and miss. Half is good, other half is mediocre to terrible.

Saoh

im really looking foward to the movie, i already bought the tickets, but sadly this will not fix my disappointment with the latest/current season

:(

what the hell happened, everyone got fired? it's not even one bit funny anymore.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Saoh said:
what the hell happened, everyone got fired? it's not even one bit funny anymore.

That's the problem, they should replace some of the staff if the show were to feel a bit different. But the cold fact is most of the writers like it there. The paychecks come either way and it's probably the best place you could work, since there is no control from execs over at Fox. A lot of writers currently doing the show have been there for a long time. I mean, the man who has showran 6 seasons in a row has been with the show since season 1, only to take a break to create The Critic. The man knows how to put together a Simpsons episode and apparently it has become routine for him, otherwise you sure as hell wouldn't be able to continue doing it for that long time. A portion of the other writers has been there for a long time too. There just isn't enough change. Not internally and not in the episodes.

Another factor is that the writers just work regular hours now. In the classic years they would work until the morning just to get that script perfect. Now that doesn't happen anymore, I'm pretty sure of it. You can deduct this from Al Jean in the commentaries and the fact the shows, even though some of them are still pretty good, are never ever as jampacked and filled with thought out jokes as in the classic era. Somewhere the entire writing process just changed. They still put a lot of work in the episodes, but they don't go over the edge anymore, like in the early years

AniHawk

GG-Duo said:
it'll be interesting to hear the commentary on the latter season DVDs..... too bad i won't be buying them :)

"Well what we were thinking here was it would be interesting to see Bart try to marry a pregnant chick. Also, we were really tired. And toasted. Niiiiiicely toasted."

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
AniHawk said:
"Well what we were thinking here was it would be interesting to see Bart try to marry a pregnant chick. Also, we were really tired. And toasted. Niiiiiicely toasted."

CypressHill_Simpsons.jpg

Salmonax

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Marge's voice is ear achingly awful now.
This is very true. I haven't paid consistent attention to The Simpsons since 2000 or so, but tuning in recently makes me feel bad for Julie Kavner (I mean, aside from the piles of money she rolls around in). It sounds so painful to do the voice for her now.

Blader

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but a teaser for The Dark Knight is going to be attached to this movie.

Source (describes the teaser, so don't read it if you're avoiding spoilers)

ChrisD84

I do want to see this, but i'm also put off by later series of the show. I always felt like they were really running out of ideas after series 10 or so, and i didn't enjoy it nearly as much.

Hopefully it will be good.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've read some early reviews and apprarently the movie is very family-centric (which could be a very good thing, or not, depending on the writing). That being said, don't expect to hear some of your favorite side characters. Even though almost all of them will be featured in the movie, some of them won't have a line. Judging from the credits, here are the mute characters:

Gil Gunderson
Hans Moleman
Disco Stu
Kirk and Luann
Superintendent Chalmers
Jimbo
Dolph
Kearney
Groundskeeper Willie
Bill and Marty
Duffman
Arnie Pie
Snake
Kodos
Sideshow Bob
Legs and Louie
Blue Haired Lawyer
Brandine
Eddie
Herman
Jasper
Judge Roy Snyder
Luigi Risotto
Manjula
Mrs. Glick
Ms. Albright
Old Jewish Man
Rich Texan
Sanjay
Yes Guy

I at least hoped my favorite character would speak (
Chalmers
), but alas.

koam

Olivier said:
Yes but they were 4 very good episodes:

- Treehouse of Horror IV
- Homer Goes to College
- Marge vs. the Monorail
- New Kid on the Block

I know, those were amazing, but people make it sound like he wrote 3-4 seasons worth.

koam

Darunia said:
The official credits and someone who's seen the movie say it's right. btw if you feel the need to see all the characters that appear in the movie, the link states those as well (I think in order of appearance).

Darunia said:
Gil Gunderson
Hans Moleman
Disco Stu
Kirk and Luann
Superintendent Chalmers
Jimbo
Dolph
Kearney
Groundskeeper Willie
Bill and Marty
Duffman
Arnie Pie
Snake
Kodos
Sideshow Bob
Legs and Louie
Blue Haired Lawyer
Brandine
Eddie
Herman
Jasper
Judge Roy Snyder
Luigi Risotto
Manjula
Mrs. Glick
Ms. Albright
Old Jewish Man
Rich Texan
Sanjay
Yes Guy

Hmm? I thought you said you know who is not in you know what.

Am I the only person on this thread that hasn't heard of the Simpsons?

What is it? Some kind of anime import they turned into a movie? I'm not impressed.

Imagine if I was serious.

koam

Scopebob Sniperpants said:
Am I the only person on this thread that hasn't heard of the Simpsons?

What is it? Some kind of anime import they turned into a movie? I'm not impressed.

Imagine if I was serious.

A football player i think

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
koam said:
Hmm? I thought you said you know who is not in you know what.

That's a list of characters who probably do appear in the movie, but don't have speaking roles. Or what do you mean?

koam

Darunia said:
That's a list of characters who probably do appear in the movie, but don't have speaking roles. Or what do you mean?

Ah ok i see. Damn, at least he's there.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
koam said:
Ah ok i see. Damn, at least he's there.

Maybe they'll use him in one of the inevitable sequels. And make him part of the plot.

btw I accidently read what will happen after the credits. It's pretty cool, be sure to keep watching.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
In an alternate universe, they would have stopped producing The Simpsons after S8 and just produced annual movies thereafter with all the top talent on board for huge paychecks and with a decent well of story ideas.

border

I'm kind of interested in seeing this with a large audience, just because I'm curious whether or not people actually think "new Simpsons" jokes are really funny.....or if people are just sticking with the show out of familiarity and habit. I'm watching these clips and I honestly can't imagine a theater filled with laughter (well, except for Spider Pig).

NotWii

Banned
border said:
I'm kind of interested in seeing this with a large audience, just because I'm curious whether or not people actually think "new Simpsons" jokes are really funny.....or if people are just sticking with the show out of familiarity and habit. I'm watching these clips and I honestly can't imagine a theater filled with laughter (well, except for Spider Pig).
They exist :(
I was very stunned when a large number of people laughed at lame jokes in the Simpsons trailer.

border said:

Wait a tick, are they still considered "New Simpson's Jokes" when the movie is written by mostly people who worked on the show over 10 years ago?

border

If the jokes are New Simpsons-style, it doesn't really matter who writes them. Pretty much all of the clips feel like something out of Season 10-18.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
border said:
If the jokes are New Simpsons-style, it doesn't really matter who writes them. Pretty much all of the clips feel like something out of Season 10-18.

Yeah, I think "New Simpsons" is just shorthand for "not funny," without being a comment about specific writers or people involved in the production.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
border said:

Well that's not exactly true. Like Benjamin said above me, the store clip is a re-use from a joke used in the Golden Age. And a few other staples from that era are in the movie as well (close-up of Homer's brain => classic cartoon playing inside). It's not new style, it's just stuff we know because we've watched all the classic eps so much. They just use the same joke archetypes over and over.

And that's the reason why for example people still enjoy the show (when they're young and haven't necissarlily seen early seasons): the joke templates are classic and when you see them for the first time they're funny. Let's hope there will be at least some creative writing in the movie...

border

Darunia said:
Well that's not exactly true. Like Benjamin said above me, the store clip is a re-use from a joke used in the Golden Age.
Re-using jokes from Golden Age is one of the hallmarks of New Simpsons.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
border said:
Re-using jokes from Golden Age is one of the hallmarks of New Simpsons.

You don't say. Yeah sorry it's semantics. It's just that I always associate 'New Simpsons' with the seasons Scully produced (9-12), which means: zany stuff, family acting out of character, pain gags, jerkass Homer, etc. The stuff that was a complete departure from the early seasons. And it seems we'll be getting some of that too: at least 2 or 3 clips have shown Homer getting hurt in some fashion. Season 13 to present are indeed more traditional and less adventurous.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
You know the NEWEST Simpson's aren't as bad as the middle era... it was kind of the "depression" for The Simpson's and now they have to struggle out of those chains!

All that said I have my ticket already and am probably going with a group of 10-16 (if not more) people lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom