• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official The Simpsons movie thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlan

Alright guys, I just came back from seeing the movie. As mentioned earlier, I was able to get a ticket to see it with a bunch of other fellas who review movies down here in Australia.

I'll get it out first: This is the plot for you who don't care:

- Homer befriends pig after finding him at a Krusty Burger, then being there after the skateboard scene.
- Homer fills 'Pig crap' silo, dumps it in river, making Springfield so polluted that the Goverment steps in.
- Brooks' character is some power hungry millionaire in charge of keeping America clean, who gets President Schwarzenegger [It's not Wolfcastle in a skit, it's meant to be Arnold] to contain Springfield in a bubble.
- Town finds out Homer is responsible, go to kill him, they escape from town via a hole in the ground.
- Flee to Alaska.
- Find that since the Bubble wasn't working, plan to just Nuke the town instead. Homer wants to stay, Marge leaves to save the town.
- Homer gets his senses and goes after them.
- Homer saves town by using a Motorcycle to drive around the inside of the dome and throw the bomb out an opening at the very top.

Now my thoughts:

Now I'm one of those guys who hasn't liked a hell of a lot of the show since Season 9-10, like a lot of people here. To sum it up in one word, this movie was just boring. There is a point in the movie where
The Fox news ticker pops up at the bottom out of nowhere
, and despite getting a laugh from me, it felt like it was thrown in there purely because the rest of the scene was sleep worthy.

The Skateboard scene was pretty cool.. but it lasts about a minute..
Actually shows Barts dick for a second in a well done 'hiding' scene
which was pretty crazy for them to do and I applaud them for taking it that one step further. But at the same time,
The opening Itchy & Scratchy sketch had no blood whatsoever, which was pretty conservative
, why do one and not the other?

The animation was all over the place too, some places it looks very nice and clean, and some times you get some low quality animation, and even some points where the mouth flaps differ to what's being said [Happens in the normal show since they're changing jokes close to release, if they're doing that in a big film version, somethings not going well :|]

In the middle of the film
A bunch of animals jump into their Alaskan cabin and do a Cinderella / Snow White routine, and they're all animated in a different style
. It's animated well, but is just really out of place.

Brooks' character attempted to pull off some Hank Scorpio moments, but fell flat. The two Schwarzenegger momenents wern't to hot either. As a fan it's one of those moments where you really can't laugh at it. "Oh, it looks like McBain because he was a ripoff of Schwarzenegger.. but why is Arnold President? Ah well, whatever."

The Bart/Flanders plot wasn't funny at all and doesn't go anywhere. It doesn't even make sense. Lisa's entire story is that
She finds some Irish kid who essentially is a young Bono-like character who she swoons for. You see it at the start, and is only mentioned because he's the reason Lisa wants to go back to Springfield
. We've seen this kind of character pop up several times in the show. Pig
is never mentioned again after half way through the film

Marge is very boring in the movie. The movie actually takes a incredibly weird turn for a second where
She leaves a video for Homer telling him she's left to go back to Springfield. It sounds incredibly serious and it's just a weird moment.

Again, it was just.. boring. Nothing laugh out loud funny in the whole film. I don't even think it would get many laughs in a full cinema.

3 1/2 pocket hotdogs out of 10.

:\

If you have any questions, I'll answer them.

GCQuinton

Just heard a little bit of the orchestrated "Spider Pig" song from the soundtrack

(background vocals)
Can he swingggg, from a web?
Oh Noooooo, he's a piiiigggggg....LOOK OUT!
:lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks for the impressions, rlan. Surprised there have been so few responses as they are pretty detailed for quickie impressions; suppose it's because you related more or less what everyone has been expecting. I might see it, but only if I can be moderately confident that I won't be subjecting myself to a feature-length S10 episode, which probably won't happen.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Rlan, thanks for that. I had more or less expected the quality to be along those lines, but it was good to hear it for sure so I'm not tempted to waste my money on a ticket.

i'll probably still see it :(

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah thanks for the impressions Rlan. Expectations are lower than ever now. Still curious to see it myself though tomorrow.

Nice for you to post them at the NHC too :p

border

It sucks that not even the old writers can breathe life into the characters and jokes. I wonder what happened? Too many cooks?

Fatalah

I've spent the last hour researching the film--I read through profiles of all the writers and many of them had written episodes post 1999, which doesn't really sound like "the old writers".

A few of the writers are credited with writings episodes in the early 90's, which is good, but they don't outweigh the newer writers.

I'm hoping for this movie to be good and doesn't feel like those cliche episodes...Smashing Pumpkins, 50 cent, etc.

Costanza

Banned
http://www.people.co.uk/showbiz/baconatthemovies/

SIMP-LY THE BEST
22 July 2007
THE SIMPSONS MOVIE COMEDY Cert: PG. Rating: 5/5

Put simply, this is 87 blistering minutes of pure, unadulterated, brilliant comedy gold, that stands up to the very best of the telly episodes and surpasses most of them.

The only negative is that some computer generated backgrounds make your eyes goabitblurry but that's a small price to see the greatest animated comedy film ever made.
:D :D :D

http://www.totalfilm.com/cinema_reviews/films_out_this_week/the_simpsons_movie

Forget the recent griping and backlash, The Simpsons Movie has bragging rights as the best cartoon-to-cinema outing. Period.

Out of 1,000 gags only two or three puns fall flat; but then maybe it's not humanly possible for an audience to laugh non-stop for an entire 86 minutes.

If there's a fault, it's that the Simpsons universe is too big for a single movie, leaving much-loved characters like Mr Burns or Krusty out in the cold. But it's a minor gripe in an otherwise flawless outing that'll leave you exhausted, elated and literally in pain from laughing so much. As Homer might say, it's the best Simpsons Movie we've seen in our lifetimes…. so far. Start praying S2 arrives before 2024.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Costanza said:

It's actually got 5/5 positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes as well so far. With rlan's impressions and most of the jokes from the trailer, though, I wonder how much of this is a reflection fo the genuine quality of the movie and how much is lowered expectations w/r/t The Simpsons and comedies in general in an environment where Knocked Up is considered a brilliant classic. Maybe I'm being too cynical.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
AstroLad said:
It's actually got 5/5 positive reviews as well. With rlan's impressions and most of the jokes from the trailer, though, I wonder how much of this is a reflection fo the genuine quality of the movie and how much is lowered expectations w/r/t The Simpsons and comedies in general in an environment where Knocked Up is considered a brilliant classic. Maybe I'm being too cynical.
Yeah, I'm actually not surprised by the good reviews so far. The most recent seasons of the Simpsons have continued to be critically acclaimed for the most part, even as most fans of the show I speak to are more and more disappointed. I can even think of at least one instance where the show was referred to as being as good as ever by a mainstream editorial piece on the topic.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I dunno... the movie was entertaining to an extent, but it's clear the writers are doing it for a different audience now. I will give more impressions later. But Rlan's 3.5 is too low, it's more like a... 6.

Rlan

Darunia said:
I dunno... the movie was entertaining to an extent, but it's clear the writers are doing it for a different audience now. I will give more impressions later. But Rlan's 3.5 is too low, it's more like a... 6.

If you think of it on a 4 star scale, mine is 1.5/4 - scores always feel different depending on the context - I thought it was below average :)

Another quick scene which just felt really weird to me was [barely a spoiler]
Where Lisa door knocks on three different houses. The camera doesn't move.. you just see her walk up a walkway, get dissed, walk back down and move on to the next one.

I mean.. it was just weird. I'd imagine in an episode you'd see some quick clips of Lisa getting the door closed on her. Imagine it in the context of any other movie and you'd be bored as batshit :lol

Sure, it's like 30 seconds in the movie, but I feel it's one of the many problems the film has. The Simpsons has [almost] always been about the smart writing of the staff. I shouldn't HAVE to turn my brain off for a Simpsons film :|

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Rlan said:
If you think of it on a 4 star scale, mine is 1.5/4 - scores always feel different depending on the context - I thought it was below average :)

Another quick scene which just felt really weird to me was [barely a spoiler]
Where Lisa door knocks on three different houses. The camera doesn't move.. you just see her walk up a walkway, get dissed, walk back down and move on to the next one.

I mean.. it was just weird. I'd imagine in an episode you'd see some quick clips of Lisa getting the door closed on her. Imagine it in the context of any other movie and you'd be bored as batshit :lol

Sure, it's like 30 seconds in the movie, but I feel it's one of the many problems the film has. The Simpsons has [almost] always been about the smart writing of the staff. I shouldn't HAVE to turn my brain off for a Simpsons film :|

I don't think there were many problems with the direction or the animation. In fact, that's one of the best parts of the movie, Silverman did a bang up job. I don't think anyone else could've done this better.

The characterizations were pretty spot on too, save from a few Lisa moments
the moment where she knocks out Bart is a bit over the top.

One thing that has amazed me about this movie, is that Julie Kavner's voice acting hasn't been this good since the Golden Age. There was one scene (
where she taped over the wedding tape
) where the delivery was spot. on. Seriously one of the best and most heartfelt moments in the film. The other few scenes that I thought were worthy of the classic age:

-
forest animals undressing Marge and Homer
-
Homer's epiphany
-
I&S cartoon
-
When the dome sets down, the churchgoers switch with the bargoers. Probably the smartest joke in the movie.

Tom Hanks'
cameo isn't nearly as bad as I would've thought too. I thought it would be far more cringe-worthy, but it's allright.

There were other moments where the joke template was really good, but fans could just anticipate what was going to happen. I believe that the best way to view this movie is when you've never watched an episode after the first 9 seasons and have had a Simpsons break for 8 years or so.

I guess my major complaint is that the movie is paced way too fast. I would've loved to see some more moments or jokes to each plot, but there just wasn't any time it seems. Another disappoinment is that they blew
the homage to the gorge scene
. They just did... nothing with it.
Albert Brooks' character isn't that great either, he has maybe one line I liked.

All in all I felt this movie could've been so much more if it was released earlier. As a movie pur sang it's actually really decent, because I was pretty much entertained. The comedy and flashes of brilliance were just too far and between. Way too far and between.

reminder

Just saw the movie and i think it was great. Especially since everyone thought that it most likely would be a mess. But it wasn't. It's a great movie imo. :)

Milchjon

I've seen it tonight and liked it very, very much.
In fact, I think I've never seen a movie that's so much better than it's trailers. Apparently they picked only the worst scenes in the film for the trailer...

Gowans

Just came back from watching it with some friends,

The cinema was packed with familys and it was some of teh most laughing at certain jokes Ive heard in a UK flicks but I thought the film started slowly (might have been adjusting to watching Simpsons on a big screen & dedicating more attention to it) I thought it was OK, well good, as did my firneds, one bud loved it but we all agreed South Park the Movie was better by far :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's weird... the movie has had some time to sink in for me and the good scenes keep recurring to me, not the bad or forgetable ones. I'm certainly gonna have to give this thing a second watch. You guys too I'll bet. I think I'll only pass final judgement when I've seen it a second time. Like all episodes I guess

btw here's the rottenlink

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/simpsons_movie/

81% fresh

my major complaint still is the fast pacing. The subplots with Bart and Flanders/Lisa were well done, but everything moves by so fast... If the movie was a bit longer and a bit more time was spent on elaborating on them? Would've liked it more.
I will say that the Homer/Marge scenes are very well done. You could see that go'ol Jim Brooks was involved there. And like I said, wow at Kavner's voice acting.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
I saw an advance preview today in the UK, and I have to say, personally, this was a horrendous train wreck. It felt like an overly extended regular TV episode, and I'm talking a poor TV episode. I was a big fan of the older seasons but haven't really touched the show in a few years, excluding the odd episode here and there. But the general quality of writing felt much like one of the newer, horrible episodes.

Larsen B

Great King Bowser said:
I saw an advance preview today in the UK, and I have to say, personally, this was a horrendous train wreck. It felt like an overly extended regular TV episode, and I'm talking a poor TV episode. I was a big fan of the older seasons but haven't really touched the show in a few years, excluding the odd episode here and there. But the general quality of writing felt much like one of the newer, horrible episodes.

+1

And agreed with rlan.

The entire film fell flat for me. In an audience full of 12 year old kids, their mothers and some teenage couples that found the entire thing hilarious, I laughed twice, at things no-one else laughed at.

And I can't believe I read praise for Lisa's subplot. How long was the
Irish kid
in the film for? 5 minutes tops? And Lisa
wants to return back to a town she's frequently dreamed of leaving because of this fleeting meeting
?

And the Bart/Flanders subplot was ridiculous. Considering everything that has happen in 18 or so seasons between the Simpsons and the Flanders' (including the episode with the DSS), why would Bart
so readily want to go with Ned
?

Why make so many gay jokes? Why ignore every great character that lives in Springfield? Mr Burns
gets TWO ****ing scenes
!

And during the
emotional video
, what the hell happened to Kavner's voice? It sounded like she couldn't decide which Bouvier she was supposed to be so just used a horrible mish-mash of them all.

The entire thing was disappointing.

disco

To be honest, overall i'll give it a 7. In a summer of disappointing movies this has probably been the best though.

The writing was extremely funny but the majority of the gags were post season 9 style funny. Not bad, but just not really the same. That's not to say there was no elements of the golden seasons.

Really where it went wrong (and what's the main problems with the latest seasons) was about 20/30 minutes towards the end you could feel yourself looking and wondering 'why am i not laughing? this is just... too... far fetched'. I'm not an action movie fan at all and when the movie started getting serious it was simply just.. not appealing to me?

Anyway, so yeh. Don't be so harsh on it. Yes the last third of the movie was awful, but how else could they have taken it? lol.

Freki

Milchjon said:
I've seen it tonight and liked it very, very much.
In fact, I think I've never seen a movie that's so much better than it's trailers. Apparently they picked only the worst scenes in the film for the trailer...

+1

I just returned from the theater and I must say that it's a great film!
Great gags great story - imho a solid 9.0.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I don't care what people say, I loved the movie, though I must admit the first 20 minutes are the best part of the whole movie, pure gold. Anywayt, awesome movie, had some awesome laughs. Recommended!

The movie was better than any new Simpsons episode but still nowhere near the brilliance of the older Simpsons episodes.

The wise cracks/promoting through out the film was :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Rabid Wolverine said:
The movie was better than any new Simpsons movie but still nowhere near the brilliance of the older Simpsons episodes.

The wise cracks/promoting through out the film was :lol

The Fox one almost made me piss myself, it was ****ing brilliant :lol

Relix said:
The Fox one almost made me piss myself, it was ****ing brilliant :lol

Same :lol

Ralph after
seeing Bart nude thinking he might be gay had almost in tears
Then again anything Ralph says is funny :lol

Docpan

I saw the movie.

In a word, it was GREAT. It was everything I could've ever hoped for and more in a Simpsons movie.

You know what, I really did buy into all the negative hype from the internet geeks around the world who proclaimed this a failure before they had even seen it. Yeah, the show has dropped off in quality since the old days, but you know what? They pulled out all the stops for this film.

It was brilliant. I was laughing throughout the whole movie. And I guarantee audiences around the globe will too. I've read some negative comments in this thread, and I'm here to call bullshit. GAF somehow loves to hate on everything. And just like with all the Batman Begins hate, I'm left scratching my head.

You know what, if you have ever loved the Simpsons at any time of your life (that should be most of you), you owe it to yourself to see this movie. **** what GAF says, **** what ANY anti-new-simpsons nerd has to say. Pay the 8 bucks and get ready to laugh your ass off.

I'll be seeing it again on Friday.

**** yes.

Docpan said:
I saw the movie.
And I guarantee audiences around the globe will too. I've read some negative comments in this thread, and I'm here to call bullshit.

Agreed.

Was very surprised for the turnout of the movie. Bigger than transformers in my threatre for a first session.

The fanpower they still have after all these years is unbelievable.

Costanza

Banned
Docpan said:
I saw the movie.

In a word, it was GREAT. It was everything I could've ever hoped for and more in a Simpsons movie.

You know what, I really did buy into all the negative hype from the internet geeks around the world who proclaimed this a failure before they had even seen it. Yeah, the show has dropped off in quality since the old days, but you know what? They pulled out all the stops for this film.

It was brilliant. I was laughing throughout the whole movie. And I guarantee audiences around the globe will too. I've read some negative comments in this thread, and I'm here to call bullshit. GAF somehow loves to hate on everything. And just like with all the Batman Begins hate, I'm left scratching my head.

You know what, if you have ever loved the Simpsons at any time of your life (that should be most of you), you owe it to yourself to see this movie. **** what GAF says, **** what ANY anti-new-simpsons nerd has to say. Pay the 8 bucks and get ready to laugh your ass off.

I'll be seeing it again on Friday.

**** yes.
:D Great impressions. I seriously cannot wait till midnight tonight.

legend166

Impressions from my other thread:

I just got back from seeing it.

Disclaimer: I'm a huge fan of seasons 3-8/9 and think that the show has taken a massive nosedive in the last 10 years. If you're not one of those people, your impressions will probably be very different.

Anyways, I thought the movie was pretty bad. I wasn't dissapointed or anything, because I wasn't expecting much. It still has my number one complaint with the new episodes - Homer is a jerk. And no, making him have a change of heart at the end doesn't change that. The writing lacked any sort of subtletly at all. I mean, I know that the Simpsons has poked fun at religion before, but they packed about 5 of their harshes jokes into the first 5 minutes. Boob jokes, penis jokes, you name it, they scraped the bottom of the barrell.

3.5/10.

It's definately time I say goodbye to The Simpsons. Goodnight, sweet prince, you shall live on through DVDs and syndication.

Saoh

i don´t know who to believe. i dislike the latest seasons, but i really liked the trailers :p

i´ll be seeing it tomorrow, but i think it will be at least "good". GAF loves to hate on EVERYTHING! ....even on Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom