• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official The Simpsons movie thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to see it this afternoon with a friend who had never seen the show on TV. I haven't seen it for several years, so neither one of us knew much of what to expect.

Overall, I was pretty disappointed. The film was pretty light in the way of political humor or social satire and those were always the things I remember really liking about the show. My friend liked it even less than I did (no doubt partially because he was not familiar enough with the show to have the nostalgia for the running character gags). It's not terrible, it's is just that, aside from a few gags (like the church and bar crowd switch joke), it's not terribly funny either.

Docpan

EternalGamer said:
I went to see it this afternoon with a friend who had never seen the show on TV. I haven't seen it for several years, so neither one of us knew much of what to expect.

Overall, I was pretty disappointed. The film was pretty light in the way of political humor or social satire and those were always the things I remember really liking about the show. My friend, who had seen the show before, liked it even less than I did (no doubt partially because he was not familiar enough with the show to have the nostalgia for the running character gags). It's not terrible, it's is just that, aside from a few gags (like the church and bar crowd switch joke), it's not terribly funny either.

Does this "friend" of yours not own a television? Is he Amish?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I watched the movie today and really enjoyed. I was laughing from beginning to end. The one problem is that we didnt get to see enough of the characters outside the simpson family.

So I saw the Simpsons movie last night, I thought it was great. I grew up watching the Simpsons as most people my age, everyday after school I would watch the reruns on TV, they would show two episodes every day. Over the years I haven't seen much of the show, like most people I agree its lost its magic. But I was excited as hell for the movie, I had faith it would be like the Simpsons of old which I love dearly. So after 18 years of waiting for the movie I finally saw it last night and I loved it.

The movie is constantly nailing jokes and gags, I was laughing constantly throughout the whole thing. Even seeing many jokes in the trailers and commercials, a lot of the best stuff was brand new. I laughed more in this movie than any other this year, so yeah funniest movie of the year for me. But you must realize that this is basically a Simpsons TV episode on the big screen, it doesn't feel much different than any normal epsiode, just longer and better animation. So if you never cared for the Simpsons or expect some giant extravaganza you will be disappointed, but if you go in just wanting to see a great Simpsons episode this is just what you want.

The only issues I had with the movie is that it maybe too Simpsons centeric, no other characters get any significant screentime. You see many of the characters but most get one scene or one line. The weird thing is that some new characters (which were very similar to previous guest characters you have seen on the show) get a lot more time than the Springfield cast. They had all these wonderful characters and they didn't really use them.

I have seen better Simpsons episodes, this is not the end all Simpsons event so don't expect that. Its just a great hour and twenty minute of the Simpsons. For me I got exactly what I wanted, I loved it.

screw the haters, the movie was great. i loved it. the
wedding video scene
put a lump in my throat.
homer going down the sinkhole giving everyone the finger
was fantastic, the look on his face was priceless.

9/10 from me

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
JodyAnthony said:
screw the haters, the movie was great. i loved it. the
wedding video scene
put a lump in my throat.
homer going down the sinkhole giving everyone the finger
was fantastic, the look on his face was priceless.

9/10 from me
No, the best part was
the first Ralph Wiggum gag, where Bart passes him while skateboarding naked. What he said there was literally laugh-so-hard-you'll-cry worthy.

Saoh

i JUST got back from the movie, and it wasn't what i expected.... it was MUCH MUCH more :D

i really enjoyed the movie, it had me laughing from start to end!
potter pig >>> spider pig
. but the movie wasn't all laugh, it got serious a couple of times
when marge leaves homer in alaska, wow :(

overall it's a really good film, and even if some things didn't quite fit with "the simpsons"
homer giving the finger, barts full frontal and drinking problem, imo
, it was totally worth it. it took 18 years but it delivered. let me put it this way... **** the haters and GAF terrible taste and those who expected a ****ing pig to be the main plot line. stop watching harry shitty potter and go see this!

btw, i only saw mr. burns after credits, was there more??

8.5/10

oatmeal

Banned
I enjoyed the movie quite a bit.

It was a fun flick and felt like a better Simpsons episode (not early season quality, though, unfortunately).

My favorite moment was seeing the ambulance by the cliff of the gorge. Genius.

MIMIC

Banned
What's the budget (promotional-wise) for this movie? They are EVERYWHERE.

I'll probably see it although I'm not completely interested. RT gave it a great score, and I could still say that I'm a Simpson's fan....so I'll probably see it on Sunday or next week or something.

When I see reviews calling this the best animated feature ever I have to call bullshit. Better then Pixar's movies? Better than Disney's classics? Miyazaki? Iron Giant?

There's some serious ass-kissing going on here, right? Or is everyone wearing Simpsons-tinted glasses? I'm not an avid hater of the Simpsons (I just... don't really care about it either way) but when I see two reviews in a row proclaiming it to be the funniest comedy of the year and the best animated feature to date, I just know something's amiss. Right? RIGHT?

border

Even as a "hater", I'll probably try and catch the movie sometime this weekend. The negative reviews sound spot-on and the positive reviews do little to refute them....but these day's it is pretty rare to see high-quality 2D animation on the big screen. Even if it is as bad as people say, at least I will have that.

Banned
WordAssassin said:
When I see reviews calling this the best animated feature ever I have to call bullshit. Better then Pixar's movies? Better than Disney's classics? Miyazaki? Iron Giant?
Who's said that? I heard many outlets say it's the best television to film adaption ever, but I have yet to see anyone say it's better than ratioulle(sp)

Costanza said:
http://www.people.co.uk/showbiz/baconatthemovies/
SIMP-LY THE BEST
22 July 2007
THE SIMPSONS MOVIE COMEDY Cert: PG. Rating: 5/5

Put simply, this is 87 blistering minutes of pure, unadulterated, brilliant comedy gold, that stands up to the very best of the telly episodes and surpasses most of them.

The only negative is that some computer generated backgrounds make your eyes goabitblurry but that's a small price to see the greatest animated comedy film ever made.

:D :D :D

http://www.totalfilm.com/cinema_reviews/films_out_this_week/the_simpsons_movie
Forget the recent griping and backlash, The Simpsons Movie has bragging rights as the best cartoon-to-cinema outing. Period.

Out of 1,000 gags only two or three puns fall flat; but then maybe it's not humanly possible for an audience to laugh non-stop for an entire 86 minutes.

If there's a fault, it's that the Simpsons universe is too big for a single movie, leaving much-loved characters like Mr Burns or Krusty out in the cold. But it's a minor gripe in an otherwise flawless outing that'll leave you exhausted, elated and literally in pain from laughing so much. As Homer might say, it's the best Simpsons Movie we've seen in our lifetimes…. so far. Start praying S2 arrives before 2024.

The second quote not so much, but the first quote? The lower-half of that guy's face must be caked in shit. WTF is he smoking?

flsh

Banned
I saw this yesterday and I really liked it. I didn't watch the Simpsons since I was a kid until quite recently and I laughed from start to end.
When the movie stopped for a few seconds and the "To be continued" went on screen the entire theater was sad. It was really funny seeing the "Immediately" 3 seconds later. I nearly pissed my pants there.

This was definitely funnier than the last few seasons of The Simpsons. Funniest movie I have seen in the last couple of years. The last time I laughed this hard was in 40 year old virgin. Even Borat wasn't this hilarious.
8/10

Wow. I'm shocked. I thought it was a good movie! I totally expected it to be crap, but I really liked it. I found it pretty funny, and I'm the type that believes the show has been utter shit since season 9ish.

Pachinko

Gaf's general opinion is shit once again ??!!?!

I actually liked this movie myself. I'd set my expectations lower once again thanks to this board and it's sometimes idiotic taste in films but it over delivered for me actually. First half is definetly funnier then the second half but there's still enough jokes to keep it going pretty well through it's runtime. I haven't enjoyed the show since season 11 so I was very glad the movie didn't suck.

AniHawk

I've made it known I'm a big Simpsons fan, though I really really hate the direction the series has made in the last decade.

Overall, I have to say, this was a very funny movie. Yes. **** all the haters. There were moments reminiscent of recent seasons, but it felt like all the writers used up any last bits of A material left, like the series can now die a peaceful death.

Things I disliked:

-Bart/Flanders. Very out of character for Bart.
-Lisa/Collin. Very season 10-18 for Lisa.
-Homer. Very season 10-18 characterization for the most part.

Things I liked in general:

+Bart/Flanders. Ned wasn't a crazy Christian for once. They kinda pulled him back from the brink of insanity and made him a nice guy again.
+Marge's scene in the middle of the movie. In the show, this would have been a quick little moment with a 5 second resolution these days, but they spent time on it, and it was just very well written and acted in general. I liked how they've addressed how much a buffoon Homer's become.

And random jokes that I love:

"I've done things no dog should ever do. They will haunt me forever."
"I like men now!"
"What a wonderful accident you turned out to be."
"Smithers, I've never considered suicide. But maybe if you did it, it would cheer me up a bit."
Homer flipping everyone off as he got stuck in the sinkhole.
Martin ownage.
The ambulance is still crashed into that damn tree.

I just don't know how they could do a sequel. It pretty much felt like there's nothing left to tell anymore.

And, knowing this was a very cartoony, unrealistic Simpsons movie, which is different from a hypothetical season 2-style movie, I have to say it was better than I could've hoped. 8.5/10

AniHawk said:
I've made it known I'm a big Simpsons fan, though I really really hate the direction the series has made in the last decade.

Overall, I have to say, this was a very funny movie. Yes. **** all the haters. There were moments reminiscent of recent seasons, but it felt like all the writers used up any last bits of A material left, like the series can now die a peaceful death.

Things I disliked:

Things I liked in general:

+Bart/Flanders. Ned wasn't a crazy Christian for once. They kinda pulled him back from the brink of insanity and made him a nice guy again.
+Marge's scene in the middle of the movie. In the show, this would have been a quick little moment with a 5 second resolve these days, but they spent time on it, and it was just very well written and acted in general. I liked how they've addressed how much a buffoon Homer's become.

And random jokes that I love:

"I've done things no dog should ever do. They will haunt me forever."
"I like men now!"
"What a wonderful accident you turned out to be."
"Smithers, I've never considered suicide. But maybe if you did it, it would cheer me up a bit."
Homer flipping everyone off as he got stuck in the sinkhole.
Martin ownage.
The ambulance is still crashed into that damn tree.

I just don't know how they could do a sequel. It pretty much felt like there's nothing left to tell anymore.

And, knowing this was a very cartoony, unrealistic Simpsons movie, which is different from a hypothetical season 2-style movie, I have to say it was better than I could've hoped. 8.5/10

Good list of jokes. I also really liked
"I want them ordered as follows: strong, strong, soft, strong, soft, soft, strong..."
and
"Tussle my hair, Mr. Hanks!"

Albert Brooks is great.

Scullibundo said:
Am I the only one that was irked by the Homer and Marge wedding tape? Didn't they get hitched in that really cheap crappy chapel?
Their wedding has been restaged in a bunch of different flashbacks, all different settings

AniHawk

Scullibundo said:
Am I the only one that was irked by the Homer and Marge wedding tape? Didn't they get hitched in that really cheap crappy chapel?
Yes. Though in Homer the Heretic, I think he has a quick flashback to a chapel that wasn't so crappy in one of his "best days of his life." The inconsistency isn't a recent thing.

Jake.

ps someone post a link to some simpsons movie wallpaper, all i can find with my crappy skills is 800x600 stuff.

DaMan121

Loved the movie. Ive probably only watched a handful of episodes in the past 5 years, I still watch the repeats of the classics every weekend on cable. Laughed all the way through.

Negatives:
The other main Simpson's characters don't get enough time. They could have added another 20 minutes, devoted to some subplot involving them.
Didn't really care for the Lisa love subplot.

Positives:
Brooks stole the show imo. Awesome.
Loved the Bart nude skating dare curve ball they threw at us - thought they wouldn't show 'it' - when he rode wast the hedges the whole audience started laughing and applauding!
Had an emotional impact. Homer's stupidity actually had consequences, and I loved Marge's video message to Homer, taped over their ( one of them anyway ) marriage video.
We have been singing the Spider Pig song for a couple of weeks at the office now, but when we heard the orchestral version during the credit ( ya, we sat there till the end lol ) it sent us over the edge.
"Goodbye boob lady!"

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I liked it, and I wasn't expecting to.

It had a bit too much crudeness at times and some characters acted, well, out of character, but overall it was rather amusing.

Flanders worked well, too... it's about time they made him a real character again as opposed to a parody one.

AniHawk said:
Things I disliked:

Not only Bart was out of character, but also Rodd and Todd didn't act like they've done through the series (one of the few characters that haven't changed through out the seasons). When Flanders says "there's always room for one more in the Flanders Clan", Rodd and Todd make signals that say "don't do it don't do it". Rodd and Todd aren't that clever, or that 'selfish'. I wanted more of the "Oh boy! Iron helps us play" Rodd and Todd. :) And I agree that Flanders wasn't the religious nut he is in the later seasons, but he should have been a bit more of that annoying kind of father: not the chocolade milk with whipped cream and 20 cookies, but the cucumber and ricotta guy. :)

It's these little things that spoil the movie for me a bit, even though I absolutely know this is a great movie with a great story. I went to see the movie with someone who doesn't like emotional moments, so the whole
Lisa+boy and Marge+Homer and Bart+Flanders situation
did nothing for her. I think she'd be better off with a South Park or Family Guy movie, since these cartoons are more based around jokes, while The Simpsons (at least the classic ones) always have an deeper story to them. So in that, this movie has met expectations for me and is already leaps better than the latter seasons. But stil: too many jokes were aided with visuals: homer getting hurt is the most frequent one. I wanted more conversations with hilarious and memorable quotes. Oh, what I would give for a conversation like the one at the breakfast table in the episode when Lisa becomes a vegetarian. Utter hilarity. :) There were just too many moments I said to myself "No, they should've done it like that" or "Uh, character x doesn't do that!".

A few of my favorite moments are:
- The dopplegangers in the wanted poster (recycled joke, still funny non the less)
- Marge saying "I hope it didn't get hurt" when they're talking about the moth that hit their van. :lol

Especially at the beginning of the movie there are more funny parts, but I can't think of any at the moment, I'll need to have a second view.

AND WHY DIDN'T THE BOMB EXPLODE ON SHELBYVILLE, followed with a "Shelbyville sign" crashing into the Springfield crowd, followed with a big cheer! :lol ;)

Good deal.

Seems like a lot of people enjoyed it and the reviews have been very good in general. Not sure if I'll be able to get out and see it but I'll definitely give it a go on DVD if I can't.

I don't mind criticism of the show, infact I've watched relatively few episodes over the last 7 years or so but the elites annoy me when they tend to play the philistine card on anyone who likes the show still. Some of these same people (not all obviously) were the same ones touting out Family Guy a couple of years ago which I never "got". And while I enjoy the Pixar flicks I don't remotely enjoy them to the same level of internet geekdom that most do.

If it's funny, it's funny. I don't really care if it's the same as it was in Season 6 or whatever.

castle007

Banned
Holy shit this movie is awesome.

I saw it last night and I couldn't stop laughing. Definitely one of the most entertaining movies of the summer. There were so many good jokes that is hard for me to list them all.

Some of the things I liked:

Spiderpig
Animal reaction to Homer and Marge having sex :lol
"I like men now"

There were so many other jokes, it is hard for me to list them right now. The movie also had a serious subplot (about
Marge leaving Homer
)

BTW I am pretty sure that this is the first time that
magey talks
, right??

castle007

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Good deal.

Seems like a lot of people enjoyed it and the reviews have been very good in general. Not sure if I'll be able to get out and see it but I'll definitely give it a go on DVD if I can't.

I don't mind criticism of the show, infact I've watched relatively few episodes over the last 7 years or so but the elites annoy me when they tend to play the philistine card on anyone who likes the show still. Some of these same people (not all obviously) were the same ones touting out Family Guy a couple of years ago which I never "got". And while I enjoy the Pixar flicks I don't remotely enjoy them to the same level of internet geekdom that most do.

If it's funny, it's funny. I don't really care if it's the same as it was in Season 6 or whatever.

definitely watch it on the big screen. Everything is better on the big screen ;)

Saoh

:lol yeah, my theather cracked with the
"i like men now!" "what a wodnerful accident you turned out to be" "the forest animals watching homer and marge have sex" :lol and "he's now potter pig" took the big BIG laughs (i think that one is my favorite)
. even the part where
the cops see marge at the motel, but they're gay and start making out :lol and the police catches the "other" simpson family :lol :lol
everything was laugh worth it :D

pachinko said:
Gaf's general opinion is shit once again ??!!?!

as most of the time >_> i don't know why i keep paying attention to this forums g.op

castle007 said:
magey talks
, right??

no, she said "dad" on the TV show. where did she talk in the movie?

castle007 said:
magey talks
, right??
No.

There's an episode ("Lisa's first word") where she says "daddy" at the end (voiced by Elizabeth Taylor). And in season 1 or 2 there's an episode where Bart fantasises about his family blaming him for everything, and then maggie says "It your fault I can't talk!". But that technically isn't maggie talking, just imagination. :)

castle007

Banned
Saoh said:
no, she said "dad" on the TV show. where did she talk in the movie?

during the credits.

All of them say something. Magey says "Sequel?"

So this isn't
her first time talking

AniHawk

The only lines Maggie has ever spoken (or "spoken"):

"It's your fault I can't talk!" -Bart vs. Thanksgiving (season 2)
"Moe." Flaming Moe's (season 3)
"Daddy." Lisa's First Word (season 4)
"This is indeed a disturbing universe." Treehouse of Horror V - Time and Punishment (season 6)
"Daddily-doodily" Home Sweet Home-Diddily-Dum-Doodily (season 7)
"Sequel?" The Simpsons Movie

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Went to a midnight showing last night and loved every second of it. I was pretty much laughing my ass off throughout. I went in wary considering the general decline of the show but was actually taken aback at how awesome it was. Definitely gonna see it again just so I can see Homer
give everyone the finger. Then get clawed.
:lol :lol

Basically, this flick made me fall for them all over again. It's the sort of thing where you just have to let it go--the apprehensions, the bitterness towards anything past season 8 or so--and just revel in the love, Simpsons style.

Oh yeah, the Spider Pig theme is all sorts of dopeness. :lol

Guzim

Even though the entire theater was laughing throughout the entire movie, one scene that just made everyone lose it was
Homer with the chainsaw.

Really the only two jokes that i thought were terrible were
the ad ticker thing when bart was shooting homer with the bb gun
and
the 'caught between a rock and a hard place'
thing. those two really annoyed me for some reason

but some of the great moments (too many to list, IMO)

homer giving everyone the finger then getting stuck in the sinkhole
bart skating, and he hits the window of the krustyburger and flanders said "bless you lord for this bountiful PENIS?!" and then rod and todd say "bountiful penis"
the doppelgangers getting arrested
spider pig, naturally. that orchestral version was fantastic
"i like men now!"
martin beating up the bullies
the animals undressing them, then the look on the faces of the animals when they get down to business
the wedding video scene. everyone was laughing throughout the whole movie, but when that scene came on the theater got really silent. it put a lump in my throat as well

ah, too many to list. this movie was absolutely fantastic

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Best (and smartest) gag still is the
churchgoers and barflies swapping places after the dome hits
. 100% Swartzwelder. Loved the chainsaw gag too. Wasn't very keen on the Homer pain moments, but everyone going after the top of his head was pretty funny, just because you can't see his facial reaction to it. "The top of his head is still showing, Claw at it!" I loved Marge's
"Just throw the goddamn bomb!"
It can be great when she's OOC for just a line or moment

And the one quotable line: "Have you ever tried to go mad without power? It’s boring. No one listens to you"

Saoh

Guzim said:
Even though the entire theater was laughing throughout the entire movie, one scene that just made everyone lose it was
Homer with the chainsaw.

:lol :lol and the eyes 'thru the door. god i think im gonna go and watch this again.

Alucard

Banned
This movie certainly exceeded my expectations. I went in feeling fairly ambivalent towards the whole thing, but I walked out thinking the creators did a solid job. I really enjoyed a lot of the gags and jokes, and found quite a few of them to actually be rather clever. If you didn't see the political satire involved in the presida gent's decision making, then I'm not sure you were paying attention.

Things I liked about the movie:
-Bart's skateboard scene/full frontal was a genius piece of imagination and animation
-Ralph saying "I like boys now" was cute
-Spider-Pig and Potter pig were both fantastic and timely
-Comic book guy's line about the meaning of EPA had me rolling in my seat. "I believe it was the sound The Green Lantern made when he was killed by so-and-so...EEEEEEPAAAA! EEEEEEPAAAAAA!"
-Homer giving the two-fisted finger while sinking in the sand had wonderful comedic effect and timing
-Grandpa holding "Oatmeal Enthusiast" magazine
-The advertising at the bottom for a Fox show was nicely placed
-The whole intro was great. Definitely self-referential, but still well played.
-THE ANIMATION! Superb, very Futurama-esque
-"It's not Bono."
-Red Rash Inn
-Homer high-fiving the trees
-Flanders telling Rod/Todd that he wished one of them didn't have "the devil's red curly hair" after one of them wishing that Homer was their father
-Homer making the chainsaw noise
-Grandpa chiming in with "I'm a part of the mob!" Again, nice comedic timing
-The end credits were worth watching as well, and I liked Maggie's response of "sequel?"
-I loved the use of the gorge again. I'll have to watch it again to catch the ambulance

I have to say that the running time of the film was also PERFECT. The people involved didn't try to go overboard by making this an overblown 2 hour feature, but instead made it feel like an extended 3-4 part episode. It's easier to sustain comedy for that amount of time.

7.5/10 for me. I was definitely impressed.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Wow. I'm shocked. I thought it was a good movie! I totally expected it to be crap, but I really liked it. I found it pretty funny, and I'm the type that believes the show has been utter shit since season 9ish.

Oh CHRIST, now I have to go see it. Today. Damn it.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Just be warned that it doesn't really feel like classic Simpsons. It's like post-season 9 style of writing, but with far more wit and a bit more subtlety.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
BenjaminBirdie said:

This is an important point: The Simpsons Movie is great fun even for the die-hard pre-Season 8 fans. Of which I am one. Like I said, you just have to leave that chip at the door and just take it all in.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Just be warned that it doesn't really feel like classic Simpsons. It's like post-season 9 style of writing, but with far more wit and a bit more subtlety.

Buying ticket now. 2 PM Times Square.

:D

Alucard

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Buying ticket now. 2 PM Times Square.

:D

Have a good time. It's a neat little trip for fans of the show, regardless if you feel that the quality of the show has declined over the past 9-10 years.

Flash

Watched the movie last night and it was awesome. After reading all the negative impressions from GAF posters earlier in the thread I was a bit worried, but I came out of the movie extremely happy. IMO, while not exactly "classic" Simpson's, the movie had a good mixture of the newer era as well as the old era of episodes. The comedy was great, and I found my self laughing throughout the whole movie. I especially liked the emotional story they threw in there, it gave the movie a simpson's older season vibe.

Out of 10, I'd rate the movie 8.5/9 out of 10.

I plan and watching it again when I'm free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom