• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official The Simpsons movie thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
God help me, that was really fantastic. I knew right from the
Burns' Toothpaste
gag that this was going to be just a solidly fun movie and it did not disappoint.

It was the perfect "Simpsons Movie". It wasn't as random and amazing as a Golden Age episode, but it couldn't be. It was movie, a summer movie at that, and it totally ****ing delivered. Shit, even the emotional stuff got me. And I did not see that coming.

Also strange was watching The Simpsons with a room full of hundreds of people.

The best THE BEST touch, was way deep in a Springfield crowd shot towards the end was
the proprieter of The Springfield Historical Society in a Davey Crockett outfit
. Lovely touch, as was the
rusted ambulance at the gorge
. Which capped a really stupendously great sequence.

Which brings me to the animation, which was really just spectacular. The action shit was great, and the sequences that were supposed to be beautiful were legitimately great. The reviews are right, this is the best TV To Movie transition ever. Is it better than the best Simpsons? Nothing is. Is it as bad as The Simpsons in Florida Meet Kid Rock? Get the **** outta here.

I only wish SOMEONE could've squeezed out a "Shit".

Anyway, don't listen to the haters. This was a wonderful movie.

Cdammen

I saw it last night. I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was a lot of effort put into making that movie and thank god that I didn't leave during the credits, I sat all the way through :D

Cdammen said:
I saw it last night. I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was a lot of effort put into making that movie and thank god that I didn't leave during the credits, I sat all the way through :D

Yeah, that was nice. I really can't get over how good it was. I was totally expecting it to be my summer clunker that I'd force myself to sit through.

BenjaminBirdie said:
God help me, that was really fantastic. I knew right from the
Burns' Toothpaste
gag that this was going to be just a solidly fun movie and it did not disappoint.

It was the perfect "Simpsons Movie". It wasn't as random and amazing as a Golden Age episode, but it couldn't be. It was movie, a summer movie at that, and it totally ****ing delivered. Shit, even the emotional stuff got me. And I did not see that coming.

Also strange was watching The Simpsons with a room full of hundreds of people.

The best THE BEST touch, was way deep in a Springfield crowd shot towards the end was
the proprieter of The Springfield Historical Society in a Davey Crockett outfit
. Lovely touch, as was the
rusted ambulance at the gorge
. Which capped a really stupendously great sequence.

Which brings me to the animation, which was really just spectacular. The action shit was great, and the sequences that were supposed to be beautiful were legitimately great. The reviews are right, this is the best TV To Movie transition ever. Is it better than the best Simpsons? Nothing is. Is it as bad as The Simpsons in Florida Meet Kid Rock? Get the **** outta here.

I only wish SOMEONE could've squeezed out a "Shit".

Anyway, don't listen to the haters. This was a wonderful movie.
Pretty much exactly how I felt about the movie. Glad you liked it! I'm also glad I gave it a chance, rather than just assuming it would suck (which I was almost sure it was going to).

My friends and I all agreed that this was basically the best example of the Simpsons that has been seen in years.

Producer to Writer:

"...I'll be damned. That's the first great idea you've had all month! Put it in the For Movie pile."

The movie was funny and worked very well on the big screen. It was well worth the price of admission...I'm not sure if it will hold up like some of the episodes though. Most of the timeless classics seem to have a limited amount of current-event jokes.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I'm also glad I gave it a chance, rather than just assuming it would suck (which I was almost sure it was going to).

That opening gag I cited really just demolished my defenses and it was incredibly easy to ride with it after that.

I'm curious which line Darunia felt was thread worthy....

ETA: I'd vote for
"Look, we can't get held up by every Sop, Yeld, or [AGH WHAT WAS THE THIRD ONE!!!] sign!"

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
this movie was hilarious
from the opening scene
with itchy and scratchy, homer stands up "BORING" bart and lisa "dad sit down" homer "why are we paying for something we get on TV FOR FREE! and that goes for you too" points at the camera"

BenjaminBirdie said:
That opening gag I cited really just demolished my defenses and it was incredibly easy to ride with it after that.

I'm curious which line Darunia felt was thread worthy....

ETA: I'd vote for
"Look, we can't get held up by every Sop, Yeld, or [AGH WHAT WAS THE THIRD ONE!!!] sign!"
The
"crazy without having power"
line, perhaps.

Blader5489 said:
I think it was
one vey.

:lol

Yes! Thank you! That was just a little slice of classic brilliance. The best gags, not to get to into why the work, but when you instantly imagine the implications of it, it's just so great.

captive said:
this movie was hilarious
from the opening scene
with itchy and scratchy, homer stands up "BORING" bart and lisa "dad sit down" homer "why are we paying for something we get on TV FOR FREE! and that goes for you too" points at the camera"

It was amazing, people CHEERED when he did that. I'm really glad I saw it with a nice big audience.

Watched it last night with a couple of friends, I laughed/giggled quite a bit throughout the whole movie (whereas usually I do not even when I watched the classic seasons). The movie felt much more thought out than the new seasons. I liked how it pokes fun of the series, but still kept some real drama in there (though still not as much as the classic seasons).
This is probably my favourite summer movie thus far (more than Transformers or Spider-man 3).

"Sequel?" ;p

Cdammen

Flanders:
"The Good Lord is telling me to confess to something..."
Homer:
"Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay"

Sure, the joke was juvenile but it touched some primal nerve of some sorts. At that point the cinema erupted in the most honest laughter I've ever heard. People (mostly thirty year olds) laughed till their guts hurt with no restraint whatsoever :)

BenjaminBirdie said:
:lol
It was amazing, people CHEERED when he did that. I'm really glad I saw it with a nice big audience.
Ha, me too. Normally i can be quite asocial, and try to view a movie with my friends when the big rush is over, but with this movie I wanted a big crowd. It would be very different anyway (The Simpsons on a big screen, more than an hour long, better animation), and I was sure the cheers from the crowd would make the movie more enjoyable.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/doh-simpsons-pic-far-exceeding-predictions/
SATURDAY AM: What a shocker! I'm told 20th Century Fox's official Friday estimate shows The Simpsons Movie made $30 million Friday -- or what the studio hoped its toon would make all weekend -- and could have an $80 million weekend.

That's more than Transformers made on its opening day and best single day this summer, and good enough for The Simpsons to slot into the Hollywood's Top 17 opening days of all time (right behind the $30.1 mil of Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones). But the well reviewed (a score of 88% positive critiques on Rotten Tomatoes) and wide release (playing in 3,922 North American theaters) pic managed an outstanding per screen average of 7,649 Friday. It's also playing huge overseas. (See below.)

Some naysayers didn't believe the movie could pack a punch, given that The Simpsons is all over television on network and in syndication. Hah! The analysts I'm talking to attribute the film's success to Fox's omnipresent marketing (including Homer opening this week's Tonight Show and earlier American Idol as well as that inspired 7-Eleven cross-promotion). Pic insiders have nothing but praise for the year-long marketing and distribution campaign which Fox orchestrated throughout the News Corp empire. "The old saw of synergy within media companies, that was never full realized before, paid off here," a source told me.

And remember: Fox says the pic cost only $75 million (without marketing) because so much animation work was done in South Korea. The Simpsons Movie opened day and date in some foreign territories, too, where it was smashing records for a toon (in Australia) and a tentpole (in Argentina). Asia and Latin America were trending huge. In England comparisons were being made to Lord Of the Rings, and in France to Transformers.

Leshita said:
still kept some real drama in there (though still not as much as the classic seasons).

I was really impressed by that. Like I said, I was almost choked up at parts. One of things I think everyone has a problem with the newer seasons about is that the characters are almost unrecognizable. This was the OG Simpsons and seeing Bart and Marge go through stuff that had obviously been under the surface forever made the movie a really fantastic kind of closing chapter to that Original Family. It's the kind of stuff you'd never be able to deal with with any kind of real depth in a 22 minute episode, even though (especially in Marge's case) this kind of thing had been touched on forver, but you could never linger on it, because Homer had to be back in her good graces by the end of the episode. Here they could really add some weight to the situation and see it play out a little longer. There was never room for that in a typical episode.

God, listen to me. This is The Simpsons Movie for pete's sake!

Ripclawe said:
http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/doh-simpsons-pic-far-exceeding-predictions/
And remember: Fox says the pic cost only $75 million (without marketing) because so much animation work was done in South Korea. The Simpsons Movie opened day and date in some foreign territories, too, where it was smashing records for a toon (in Australia) and a tentpole (in Argentina). Asia and Latin America were trending huge. In England comparisons were being made to Lord Of the Rings, and in France to Transformers.
Yeah, that was quite obvious. When the credits rolled, it was almost like a typical simpsons joke about minimum wage labour in an Azian country. At least, i got that impression. :)

And i knew this pic would bring in loads of money. most-of-gaf-owned.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I was really impressed by that. Like I said, I was almost choked up at parts. One of things I think everyone has a problem with the newer seasons about is that the characters are almost unrecognizable. This was the OG Simpsons and seeing Bart and Marge go through stuff that had obviously been under the surface forever made the movie a really fantastic kind of closing chapter to that Original Family. It's the kind of stuff you'd never be able to deal with with any kind of real depth in a 22 minute episode, even though (especially in Marge's case) this kind of thing had been touched on forver, but you could never linger on it, because Homer had to be back in her good graces by the end of the episode. Here they could really add some weight to the situation and see it play out a little longer. There was never room for that in a typical episode.

God, listen to me. This is The Simpsons Movie for pete's sake!
Not to negate your post, but I think the Simpsons has already had such strong emotional moments in the episodes. When Homer gets a gun for example. it's crammed in just 22 minutes, and yet it deals with Homer lying to his wife 3 times without coming of rushed or awkward.
But yes, with a movie they could add a bit more depth to it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Hmm... What I think is strange is that everyone who loved it also rides on the 'simpsons suck post season 9' bandwagon, while the movie felt like it was a very well written/produced Scully era episode. What I'm saying is, if you like this movie, I find it hard to believe you would dislike everything that's made post season 9. That's why the whole 'simpsons suck now' shtick needs to go, or at least needs a lot more nuance. Seasons 10-18 aren't a homogenuous pile of suck, not by a long shot. The quality has declined, but oftentimes it's still entertaining to watch. This needed to be said, because like most of you will agree, this movie wasn't Golden Age level too, but still very entertaining (which is logical, since first 8-9 seasons are probably the best tv ever made. I mean what has, or will ever top it?) Quite a few episodes made past the Golden Age achieve the humor level of this movie. Not the voice acting though, that was pure GA level. The writing in the emotional scenes felt like something out of season 2. Marge's wedding tape scene will probably remain my favorite scene of the movie.

edit: about the line I thought was very quotable... that was Cargill's mad with power line. I also mentioned it in the previous page.

Darunia said:
Hmm... What I think is strange is that everyone who loved it also rides on the 'simpsons suck post season 9' bandwagon, while the movie felt like it was a very well written/produced Scully era episode. What I'm saying is, if you like this movie, I find it hard to believe you would dislike everything that's made post season 9. That's why the whole 'simpsons suck now' shtick needs to go, or at least needs a lot more nuance. Seasons 10-18 aren't a homogenuous pile of suck, not by a long shot. The quality has declined, but oftentimes it's still entertaining to watch. This needed to be said, because like most of you will agree, this movie wasn't Golden Age level too, but still very entertaining (which is logical, since first 8-9 seasons are probably the best tv ever made. I mean what has, or will ever top it?) Quite a few episodes made past the Golden Age achieve the humor level of this movie. Not the voice acting though, that was pure GA level. The writing in the emotional scenes felt like something out of season 2. Marge's wedding tape scene will probably remain my favorite scene of the movie.

edit: about the line I thought was very quotable... that was Cargill's mad with power line. I also mentioned it in the previous page.
True. I've never heard marge sound so sad. :(

Souldriver said:
Not to negate your post, but I think the Simpsons has already had such strong emotional moments in the episodes. When Homer gets a gun for example. it's crammed in just 22 minutes, and yet it deals with Homer lying to his wife 3 times without coming of rushed or awkward.
But yes, with a movie they could add a bit more depth to it.

Of course, absolutely. There have been tremendously emotional moments, but they were always at the whim of the status quo. Honestly, it wasn't even necessarily the movie's format that did it, it was the perfomances of Marge and Bart. They were both just fantastic and sold their individual moments 112%.

Darunia said:

Ah. I missed that.

:(

It wasn't a bad line, but there were a few others I liked more.

And yeah, like you said the Simpsons do not 100% suck now at all, as a matter of fact, seeing this makes me positive I will start watching episodes regularly again in the fall and probably revisit some of the newer older ones that I never caught.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Saoh said:
nice! **** the haters and people with bad taste (most GAF), i hope it makes $100M this weekend just to see people whine about it >: D

worth every penny.

I don't think the "haters" and "most GAF" expected it to do poorly at the box office. I don't think nearly anyone did. The marketing blitzkrieg and timing were just far too perfect.

I'll probably be seeing it today or next weekend.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Let's see if I can make a list of all the episode references

- Gorge scene from Bart the Daredevil
- Carpenters song from The Way We Was
- Grampa doing the woop woop woop on the floor like Homer in Last Exit to Springfield
- Praise Jebus
- A brief shot of some characters: Gabbo, Stampy, Hollis Hurlbut, Chester J. Lampwick. The mob scene also had a TON of charactes, but it's very hard to see them. This will be a freeze frame scene.
- Post it on the tape: 'put me in VCR'. It could be unintentional, but it's very much like Flanders' post its in Summer of 4 ft. 2

Also, in an earlier version of the movie,
Lester and Eliza
were there :( Let's hope they turn up on the dvd. Damn there will be sooo much extra material we can watch on that.

123rl

I really liked it. Too many funny lines to say I have a favourite but Ralph had one of the funniest moments

Bart rides past him on a skateboard, naked, and Ralph looks at him and says "I like men now"

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
astrolad said:
I don't think the "haters" and "most GAF" expected it to do poorly at the box office. I don't think nearly anyone did. The marketing blitzkrieg and timing were just far too perfect.

I'll probably be seeing it today or next weekend.
There were/are haters though

DMczaf said:

Ah i knew someone remembered bud saying that.

Darunia said:

- Gorge scene from Bart the Daredevil
- Carpenters song from The Way We Was
- Grampa doing the woop woop woop on the floor like Homer in Last Exit to Springfield
- Praise Jebus
- A brief shot of some characters: Gabbo, Stampy, Hollis Hurlbut, Chester J. Lampwick. The mob scene also had a TON of charactes, but it's very hard to see them. This will be a freeze frame scene.
- Post it on the tape: 'put me in VCR'. It could be unintentional, but it's very much like Flanders' post its in Summer of 4 ft. 2

Also, in an earlier version of the movie,
Lester and Eliza
were there :( Let's hope they turn up on the dvd. Damn there will be sooo much extra material we can watch on that.

Kang
was in the credits. :(

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
AniHawk said:
That's not really referring JUST that episode. At least I don't think. It's just Homer and Marge's song.

Yeah you're right, but it started in that ep. And you see them dancing like it was 1974. don't nitpick :p

BenjaminBirdie said:
Kang
was in the credits. :(

Kang and Kodos
were originally going to be this movie's Statler and Waldorf, but they cut it too

Darunia said:
Yeah you're right, but it started in that ep. And you see them dancing like it was 1974. don't nitpick :p

Kang and Kodos
were originally going to be this movie's Statler and Waldorf, but they cut it too

RrrrrRRRRRR DVD!!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Are you guys going to see it again while it's running or wait for the dvd? I'll probably see it again in a few weeks, when my school stuff is done. I definitely need a rewatch of this movie

Alucard

Banned
I'm glad they decided to cut a lot out to be honest. I felt the hour and a half running time was part of the reason the movie worked as well as it did; it didn't overstay its welcome, and the comedy was all very tightly contained.

ckohler

I'm going to go see this in about 30 minutes. At first, I was going to wait for DVD but with both Rotten Tomatoes and recent posts here so positive, I'm going.

Darunia said:
Are you guys going to see it again while it's running or wait for the dvd? I'll probably see it again in a few weeks, when my school stuff is done. I definitely need a rewatch of this movie

I can see myself seeing it again. I probably won't really hardcore set about doing it like I did with Ratatouillie, but I definitely might.

AniHawk

ckohler said:
I'm going to go see this in about 30 minutes. At first, I was going to wait for DVD but with both Rotten Tomatoes and recent posts here so positive, I'm going.

It's totally worth it.

J2 Cool

I knew it'd be big, but yeah, that was shocking last night. Not only was the first showing sold out and the place packed to ther brim, but it's a 90-minute film. They're pushing people out and bringing new people in constantly. It was like a well-oiled money making machine really. Enjoyable for the masses, built in core audience, widen demographic, not too long, an event. There was nothing offensive about the entertainment at all either in length, or in material that might alienate a chunk of the audience.

Anyway, I liked the movie. I had enough complaints about the film, but at the same time it was enjoyable. My sister wanted to see the movie she told me when I got back, dissapointed I didn't ask her. I might go with her and another friend tonight. Again, at 90 minutes it's no big deal. I wouldn't mind. I think she would enjoy it.

Like BenjamineBirdie said, it's funny about the 2nd viewing. It's not as adamant a viewing as seeing Ratatouille was a 2nd time for me, but it's still likely to happen just based on accessibility - really putting itself out there for anyone who might want to see it and making it a good experience for anyone to tag along even on a second or third time.

ari

Banned
Souldriver said:
No.

There's an episode ("Lisa's first word") where she says "daddy" at the end (voiced by Elizabeth Taylor). And in season 1 or 2 there's an episode where Bart fantasises about his family blaming him for everything, and then maggie says "It your fault I can't talk!". But that technically isn't maggie talking, just imagination. :)

i thought that was drew berrymoore that did the voice for maggie.

Guzim said:
Even though the entire theater was laughing throughout the entire movie, one scene that just made everyone lose it was
Homer with the chainsaw.

oh shit, when he said he had it and when the look through the door..... that was all kinds of win.

mcgarrett

Darunia said:
That's an old
Three Stooges
gag -- I doubt it was meant to reference any particular episode, it was just something silly for him to do.

Darunia said:
-Post it on the tape: 'put me in VCR'. It could be unintentional, but it's very much like Flanders' post its in Summer of 4 ft. 2
I think you're stretching a bit here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom