• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old GAF and silly bans

Fuz

Banned
The other thread on the "old GAF" had me thinking... what are your silliest/most unjust bans from old GAF nazi moderation?

Here's mine. Premise: This has been my only ban, I've been banned only once, so I had a clean record before this.

On the SFV Laura's presentation thread there was the usual outrage on women's representation and yada yada yada. Some female GAFfer ranted "I just did a karate chop and my boobs didn't jiggle like that", which I quoted and replied with "Do you have the breasts and body type of a cartoon character? If so, wanna marry me?"
Banned one month for misoginy.
Since that I stopped posting until the split.
I find it funny now, but I was pretty damn pissed at that point.

What about you guys?

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Can't say i like the terminology on display here with Old GAF nazi moderation. Its an overused term used as a descriptor, but the term itself versus what you try to say with it is not correct whatsoever.

That being said, i never was banned from GAF in the olde days, simply because i was a lurker. That's how i spent atleast 10 years like that, lurking. So, i am aware of a lot of GAF stuff, but i wasnt around as a member.

Lastly, but that's just my personal preference, is it worth a discussion on how silly OldGAF was back in the day, versus to where we are now? I mean with that: Shouldn't we look towards the horizon instead of looking and pointing at the mudpit from which GAF came?

I mean.. GAF has had enough years in that mudpit to see every little aspect of that mud being analyzed and debated already, right? :)

Greedings

I think I got banned for making a comment which the mods decided was victim blaming. Don't really remember now.

xrnzaaas

I haven't received a single ban on old GAF, although when I reflect back on what I've written in some threads I think I just got lucky. ;)

sublimit

Banned
I was banned twice. The first one was for thread whinning (i honestly didn't even realized i did that) and the second one was because i took the bait and got inside a system wars thread even though i wasn't taking any particular side.

But i have no hard feelings for those. I know they weren't personal against me and i actually respected the mentality behind those bans. These were a long time ago though and unfortunately the situation got a bit out of hand with the bans to other people in recent years.

Geki-D

Banned
I said that Anita Sarkeesian never did debates of any kinds, then I said that she doesn't even do them, even in an environment she could control. Banned. The reason was: "This is just offensive garbage".

Stitch

Gold Member
I said something about Ubisoft in a Ubisoft Thread, like "I don't like how they are so samey" and then Amir0x banned me for Trolling Ubisoft... yeah...

I also said that they went full retard with the filters in Mad Max Fury Road and got banned for that too.

Last edited:

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I can never remember specifically what I was banned for...I remember I used to be really really combative about my opinions in the past so I'm sure I just got way too into it and lost myself, catching the backhand for usually a week at a time.

Kacho

I got banned for thinking PewDePie defended himself well against some sort of controversy. Was probably two years ago. Can’t remember what happened exactly but I made a totally harmless post and refused to engage the Reeeeeeeeing directed at me and got banned for “arguing in bad faith”, when I wasn’t even arguing. lol

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Holy shit.

Banned
Reason: You made too much sense.

Naw, it said something like this:

Banned:

Comparing social activists to North Koreans.

I think that was my second to last ban before getting a warning saying "if you get banned again it is permanent" The second to last ban was for not supporting Macron. I never got banned for less than 3 months. One other ban was for getting pissed at some jerk for attacking me in a thread, and I took one for saying something along the lines of "I just don't give a shit about dead Syrian children, we have our own problems that need solving", and one for agreeing with an Asian immigrant about when in Rome, doing as the Romans.

Grinchy

Banned
I wish I remembered the worst ones. One was for 3 months for a joke. Another was only 2 weeks but it was for just saying something negative about Kotaku. Oh, how the times have changed! lol

LordRaptor

xL2yhCO.jpg

thanks obama

HyGogg

Banned
I got permabanned with no prior infractions for going back and forth with a mod for maybe 4 posts that I didn't like the way inXile kept going to Kickstarter for every game they put out. No reason given other than the mod didn't like my opinion.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
I was banned for one month about a post regarding western comics with female superheroes. Something about also catering to readers with underage fetishes. That is not even a possibility of course

Irony is that the same moderator that banned me is supposedly a normal user on Resetera without any authority, yet stirred things up for my permaban over there.

Woffls

So my only ban was a temp for going into a thread related to Uncharted 2 or 3 and saying I wasn't interested in it because the multiplayer wouldn't be as good as whatever Halo was coming out. I get that some people just go into threads to stir shit up so it must have looked very console wars-y, but it really wasn't my intention.

e: Not a silly ban like all the ridiculous OT bans that happened. I mostly stayed the fuck away from OT for yeeears.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I like the Ban History page, nice addition.

I was banned here during the GG debacle for having unapproved opinions, I forget exactly what I said. I left and didn't look back for a few years.

Pleasantly surprised to see this place making a good effort to turn itself around.

Kadayi

Banned
Only the one ban. I think I said I enjoyed an interview that Daniel Vavra gave to some site talking about KCD and then some earnest poster was demanding that I defend Vavra's position on the lack of POC in Medieval Bohemia and I said I couldn't speak for him, only myself. 2-week ban for being "disingenuous". After that, I mainly stuck to the TV and game discussion threads because what was the point. In truth given the climate at the time, I was very lucky not to cop a perm.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Other Account

"Men? There is nothing wrong with men being men."

Permabanned

Account still on jr phase and is a sexist misogynist.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
When Rockstar first revealed Red Dead Redemption 2 and it was nothing but the silhouettes, there was a meltodwn thread started saying there were no female representation in the game. The usual suspects were going ape shit in it, and all I said was maybe we should wait and until more announcements are made since these are only silhouettes, while agreeing with other level headed posters.

That loser Bish banned me permanently with a Calamity Jane "toodles" reference like a little bitch(sh).

Eliv0re reversed it a few months ago after I emailed him.

My other favorite was getting banned for a month in the No Man's Sky thread when it launched for being "too invested in the thread/game, so take a month and play it then" because I was refuting a lot of sensational hyperbole hot takes. You had two to three other people that had more posts than me in that thread which we're doing the bashing, yet did not so much as receive a warning.

That's when I discovered that there were certain protected people that were used to bait others that didn't fall in line with the company mantra, which continued on to their new site in a more vicious fashion.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I once got banned for saying I didn't think box braids looked good on women. Another time for calling a black on white crime a hate crime because the white guy was specifically targeted for his race. Also got banned once because I didn't feel bad that police roughed up a black guy who was arrested for beating his infant son to death. One or two of those involved being ban baited by E Enzom21 . I got banned another time for blowing him the fuck out when he was ban baiting somebody else. That last one was expected though since I went after him pretty hard.

Pretty sure all my bans were from bish (with enzom backseat modding) since they all related to black people in some way. Could've been beefsoda too though, who knows?

Last edited:
I got banned for saying fuck you to everyone who called ALL Brexit voters racists.

Also for trying to explain that the perpetuation of the word ‘nigger’ by blacks is not helping things. Reason for ban ‘when we have real equality you can shout nigger from the rooftops’. Err no dickhead, i’m Proposing that nobody say it.

Then I pretty much never posted in off topic again.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't know if it was the silliest because I do not know what the other bans were exactly, but I got banned for getting into a discussion with Cerium over the Yooka-Laylee situation with Jontron. What got me banned specifically was the claim that the people making a fuss about Jontron's involvement were hurting the game more than Jontron did by himself, which I still think is a correct assessment. Moreso after Playtonic decided to remove him. https://www.neogaf.com/threads/play...r-live-funded.1038493/page-130#post-232608436

I got a perma ban for using Ebonics instead of AAVE to describe they way hip hop gamer talked. I was branded a Nazi straight away. I still don’t believe Ebonics is an offensive term though.

bitbydeath

I've been banned 3 times.
One time it was for arguing that burning flags was bad and in some countries would be considered as a terrorist act which I backed up with links to articles on where it stated exactly that.

I don't remember the other times but it'd likely be along the same thing where I offended someones way of life.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I got a perma ban for using Ebonics instead of AAVE to describe they way hip hop gamer talked. I was branded a Nazi straight away. I still don’t believe Ebonics is an offensive term though.

Every word that was not offensive, becomes "offensive" as they invent their newspeak words to control the narratives every generation.

Last edited:
I got permabanned for, and I shit you not, comparing a cliffhanger in a Game of Thrones open spoiler thread to the #whodidNegankill hashtag that amc pulled almost a year prior of me writing that comment. Reason: Spoiling TWD. Now I wouldn't have minded it if it was a weeklong ban etc. but it was a permaban for a freaking hashtag that was half a year old and in an open spoiler thread for a different show entirely, there wasn't even context given nor implied who Negan killed, just the hashtag brought up as an example....

Grinchy

Banned
I got permabanned for, and I shit you not, comparing a cliffhanger in a Game of Thrones open spoiler thread to the #whodidNegankill hashtag that amc pulled almost a year prior of me writing that comment. Reason: Spoiling TWD. Now I wouldn't have minded it if it was a weeklong ban etc. but it was a permaban for a freaking hashtag that was half a year old and in an open spoiler thread for a different show entirely, there wasn't even context given nor implied who Negan killed, just the hashtag brought up as an example....
LOL I wish we knew which one of the looneys did that one.

The other thread on the "old GAF" had me thinking... what are your silliest/most unjust bans from old GAF nazi moderation?

Here's mine. Premise: This has been my only ban, I've been banned only once, so I had a clean record before this.

On the SFV Laura's presentation thread there was the usual outrage on women's representation and yada yada yada. Some female GAFfer ranted "I just did a karate chop and my boobs didn't jiggle like that", which I quoted and replied with "Do you have the breasts and body type of a cartoon character? If so, wanna marry me?"
Banned one month for misoginy.
Since that I stopped posting until the split.
I find it funny now, but I was pretty damn pissed at that point.

What about you guys?

I once got banned for wishing the PS3 a happy bday and saying something to the effect of “at least you’re not a Wii” or some inane comment. 2 months, as I recall.

way more

I wrote "you are allowed to disagree with #BLM as they are a political group but you should of course agree that black lives matter."

Two days later I posted in a thread about Olberlen college making bad cuban sandwiches and how it was offensive. Bish saw my post, linked back to that older post, and publically called me out saying "and nothing of value was lost." The thing is even fucking Enzom saw my argument and once I clarified it he backed down. But not ol' bish. Permed for that.

Last edited:

Duallusion

I'm mostly a lurker anyway but still proud of myself for never giving some too-leftist asshole that used to ran this place a pleasure to ban me - which they would if they knew my opinions on many things - nor did resulting echo chambers change any of my opinions either; just strengthen them, really.

Andyliini

I was not ever banned back then. The again, I only participated in the Gaming topics and posted every once in a while. I only started making threads and posting more after the Great Exodus.

MilkyJoe

Banned for commenting something along the lines of it'd be nice to have one xbox related thread that wasn't invaded by sony trolling.

Top Bottom