• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One month from today: BioShock Infinite

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Glad to see some hype alive for this on GAF. Looks like a well-crafted world with some great mechanics to me. Can't justify a purchase at retail but very excited for a sale myself.

Try playing it now in a high resolution.

I just replayed it last summer and I had to plug in a controller to solve the puzzles because the mouse doesn't work outside of the first-person controls.

Let's not even get started on BioShock launching with one of the worst DRM configurations ever seen.

I'm not sure I follow, I played it 2 weeks ago at 1080p and everything worked including KB/M without issues.

The port is really bare bones, sure, but the jump in resolution and a solid 60fps makes it much better than the console version and you can add extra AA and AF through the NvidaCP/Inspector that's just gravy (had 8xMSAA + 16xAF)

Andrew.

Banned
Incomiiiiinnnng...

Chaff.jpg

Bioshock-Infinite-Screens-210910-5.jpg

bioshock_infinite_45.jpg

Bioshock-Infinite-3.jpg

BIOSHOCK-INFINITE-E3-2011-4.jpg

Bioshock-Infinite.jpg

Sillverrr

Premium edition preordered for PC, and Season Pass purchased. They are milking us with Season Passes, but I will make a rare exception for this game in order to show my support. Not buying the strategy guide however - gotta draw the line somewhere (strategy guide for FPS = lol).

Dysun

Hoping for some good reviews, Bioshock 1 was an amazing game at the time and I've been anticipating their follow up for what seems like an eternity.

Zeliard

He said Bioshock was a spiritual successor to System Shock 2, fuck him.

That one still stings, but I think Levine is good peoples, all things considered. He's been upfront about things like Bioshock 2 having much better combat than 1, and hopefully the inclusion of stuff like 1999 mode is demonstrative of a general philosophy that'll be evident throughout the game. The fewer shackles, the better.

Grief.exe

Shit like that makes me sad.

Tomb Raider

222zyop1.png

BioShock: Infinite

7777tapjw.png

I already know Infinite is a gazzillion times better than TR. Watch 2K closing Irrational Games if this game bombs :( We can't let that happen, we just can't! Irrational doesn't make 0815 shooters, they always make something special and i have no doubt Infinite will be any different. I seriously think this could be the best FPS game this decade.

You realize Tomb Raider pre orders opened up well before Bioshock's?

Its looking like Bioshock's tiers will be complete sometime next week, so you don't have long to wait.

FACE

Banned
That one still stings, but I think Levine is good peoples, all things considered. He's been upfront about things like Bioshock 2 having much better combat than 1, and hopefully the inclusion of stuff like 1999 mode is demonstrative of a general philosophy that'll be evident throughout the game. The fewer shackles, the better.

I'll wait and see.

Geoff9920

What part makes you sad? The concept of pre-order "rewards" or the 60.00 price tag for a PC game?
I think you'll find several people here saying "both" to that question. Personally, I think Steam asking you to pay $60 up front for a pre-order while incentivizing you to con your friends into doing the same is disingenuous. Gamifying pre-orders to this extent is going too far.

Derrick01

Banned
What part makes you sad? The concept of pre-order "rewards" or the 60.00 price tag for a PC game?

Both. I also got a laugh out of this game giving you the first Bioshock as a preorder reward, a game with a bad PC version.

At least they make up for it with Xcom though. Makes me wish I didn't buy it when it came out.

Lombax

Banned
I think you'll find several people here saying "both" to that question. Personally, I think Steam asking you to pay $60 up front for a pre-order while incentivizing you to con your friends into doing the same is disingenuous. Gamifying pre-orders to this extent is going too far.

Aye. As much as I am looking forward to this game I do not want to participate in the pre-order, nor pay full price. I will just add it to the steam wishlist and wait for a sale.

Ultryx

I decided to preorder through GMG. I probably should have waited for impressions but the deal was decent $46 for the Darkness II, Bioshock Infinite and Bioshock (already own). I also had $6 in GMG credit since the holiday sales. Hopefully, the development issues worked out in the end. Fingers crossed.

I think that was the good choice. Infinite looks really promising and you got some free games!

No really, did Sn4ke already get to play Bioshock Infinite? How does he already know the game is better than TR? I'm VERY curious.

I mean, it isn't like he's just a blind fanboy right?

Yeah, as well as unused gifts that you've purchased: simply send a ticket to support (you'll need to create an account specifically for this purpose). After you've signed in, select Steam as the product, while for the category you want Purchases and Payments, followed by Pre-ordered Game. As long as your request is actioned before the release date (which will be of no concern as the game is still a month away; even Valve isn't that slow :p), you should get your refund, no questions asked.

Edit: As for who can help you get the game for $45, just ask in the Steam thread once you're ready.

Sounds good, I'll try doing that tomorrow.

dreamfall

Probably right up there with GTA V as my most anticipated in such a long time!

I hope the Tier 3 unlocks do occur, so everyone can play X-Com too.

I have faith in Levine- everything he's done I've loved. The press for the game has been all over the place, but my undying faith in this man will never subside. The ability for the Irrational team to create new worlds that promote such intense exploration... I really can not wait.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Game is Pre-Ordered @ Best Buy for the PS3

Finished off my Industrial Revolution Pack Game

Got my free bonus goodies from it, need to Pre-Order the damn season pass!

Then I'll be set

Let's Do This!

Will Platinum the ever living shit out of it!

Andrew.

Banned

Then I'll be set

Let's Do This!

You and me both my man.

I got the special edition guide coming in on the 27th but I only really want it for the little Columbia artifact that comes with it. I'm gonna have to try my damnedest not to open that sucker up until completion.

Then I'll be set

Let's Do This!

Nice I preordered it on Amazon for PS3 too should add me on psn - ArisenDragon

Servbot24

Banned
I've had Bioshock 2 waiting on my shelf for over a year, just haven't gotten to it. This game looks really really good though, so I think it will finally encourage me to play BS2 so I can get to it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So would I need to play Bioshock 1 & 2 before this?

It's hard to say as Irrational has been cagey as to whether or not the canon of Bio and Bio2 apply to the world of Infinite. I'd imagine that any references to the previous games will favour Irrational's original -- rather than 2K Marin's narratively misguided sequel -- greatly if not entirely.

noobasuar

Banned
Going to blind buy this game which I never do.

I haven't played any of Ken Levine's other games than Bioshock and I really liked it so I'm feeling like it's worth it to give them the benefit of the doubt and go into this one completely blind.

I just bought one of the AMD cards that'll come with Crysis 3 and this. When I redeem this code via steam, would my copy be considered a preorder or no?

Dartastic

I just wanna know how much better the PC version is. I want to experience this game in all of it's glory, but I don't have a good PC. =(

Angry Fork

I'm really hoping Levine hasn't presented a false equivalency between left wing anarchist 'extremes' and far right fascism. I have a vague feeling he's sympathetic to libertarian pro-capitalist paul ryan ideas on economic issues even though he's to the left on social issues, basically a Penn Jillette type. Even though Bioshock 1 in many ways was a criticism of objectivism, it felt like there was some underlying sympathy towards the idea of it which is unsettling.

I've been waiting for so long, and Bioshock 1/2 are my favorite games this gen for exploring political/social ideas, but if the left in this game are demonized as Stalinists (like most people in general end up suggesting) it'll ruin the game for me so I'm apprehensive. The story/political side of these games is the most important aspect for me, gameplay is secondary.

The e3 demo impressed me big time (it still does), but everything i saw from the final game so far doesn`t look nearly as good or impessive as the great e3 demo.

I think the game will disappoint me.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So would I need to play Bioshock 1 & 2 before this?

I'm not sure if they're part of the same universe. They could easily be. The interesting thing is that Infinite takes place in 1912, where the original BioShock is in 1960. I could see a wink or reference.
Child Andrew Ryan?

Also if you guys want to get BioShock Infinite on PSN you can preorder it and get a free theme and BioShock 1 now it says and you would also get 10 bucks back with every 50 you spend in March. Not sure if this was posted here yet.

noffles

Banned
Once I find a cheap place to get this preordered, I'm going all in. Been waiting nearly 3 years for this thing now.

Top Bottom