• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation KKK Is Beginning To Unmask Hate Group Members

Status
Not open for further replies.
He thought they said Gay Gay Gay.

+1, good work.

He is a gay liberal democrat. It seems the list won already.

Here is Mayor Madeline Rogero response (she is one of the best liberal mayors in the South).

CS1DE3fUAAAbuVI.jpg

Quoting for next page. Obviously, the list and whoever is trying to find people associated with the KKK is deeply flawed

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Remember that time internet vigilantes tracked down who they thought was the Boston marathon bomber? That worked out great.

Yep

Because it doesn't really matter until you find out that a KKK member is representing your zip code

But to be fair, and it does look VERY bad, they should have the right to defend themselves (even as something small as those are baseless claims), but they need to get in front of this if they truly are innocent. The only thing that is bad is Anon is putting the onus on them to defend themselves when they really could pull names out of their own asses.

Like they did.

Long text boxes of false equivalency proving that I have never read a history book.

Congratulations - taking your advice would have led to the death and killing of single mothers, black people, people with mental health issues (schizophrenia, etc) and gay people earlier in the history of this country. All of those groups, at one point or another, have been considered by the vast majority of the population to be "unclean", "morally deficient" and "to be shamed and outed".

Given they've named two Catholics and a gay man as Klan members, it looks remarkably like this information was pulled out of someone's ass.

It's unfortunate they got caught in the crosshairs, but they're well aware of how to use the legal system to their defense in correcting the matter.

The damage is already done. You think that having people acknowledge that they were mistaken is going to make up for the damage already done? It certainly didn't help Sunil Tripathi's family after Reddit accused him of being the Boston Bomber. Or how the New York Post wrote an article with a picture of Salah Eddin Barhoum and his friend and accused them of being the Boston Bombers. And how Barhoum went to the local police department to clear his name but was terrified of leaving his house.

Ryan Lanza: Brother of Adam Lanza. His picture was leaked and people on the Internet thought it was a picture of the shooter.

Garnet Ford: Roofer. Accused for murder after social media assumed it was him because the suspect was a thin black male. Three guesses on Garnet's physical appearance. Police never named him as a suspect.

Steven Rudderham: Accused of pedophilia by a Facebook account. The entire town assumed it was true and turned on him. Someone tried to burn down his house and he committed suicide.

Sunny Burns: An Australian model living in Thailand. Accused of being responsible for the bombing in Bangkok after Internet sleuths "identified" him as the bomber.

"Oops. Our bad. But you probably should be able to sweep this under the rug. Sorry about the death threats and lynch mobs."

And yes. I'm using the word "lynch mob" because that's literally what some people in Philadelphia formed after someone posted a random picture of Triz Jefferies on Facebook accusing him of being a rapist/murderer.

How about that...another thread on GAF regarding Internet vigilantism in which a significant amount of posters gleefully overlook just how dangerous, unreliable, and horrific Internet vigilante mobs inevitably become.

The "I have no problem with this posts." might as well read "I've put zero thought into this." It's like people have zero historical knowledge of how this kind of thing inevitably plays out: it's not even an Internet phenomenon so much as a human one. The Red Scare wasn't that long ago. Crowd-sourcing "justice" doesn't work and it never will. The mob has no accountability, no memory, and no mission beyond its immediate satisfaction.
What I would propose is not something that literally anyone can do. I don't want another NRA. Skilled, qualified individuals who operate within the bounds of the law in which nothing outright illegal or malicious is being done to bring about justice. All I am literally proposing is that, if need be, the government simply list members of the Klan and other hate groups on a public profile list, as is done with child sex offenders and terrorists. It is not an extreme concept, in fact it is pretty cut-and-paste common sense at this point.

What you are talking about is indeed a path to failure. I am advocating something that the government itself could do, or could set up a path allowing for qualified citizens to obtain license or similar to do what they seem not willing to do.

I don't see what you mean and I don't agree with anything you've said except for the fact that the legal system is much more complicated than it is portrayed to be on shows like Law and Order.

Cases like this, which are against anonymous individuals, are difficult because of what you don't know before you would have to file a lawsuit. You don't know who you're suing, and there's no way to even begin finding out who to sue without being able to issue subpoenas, and you generally can't do that without having actually filed a lawsuit. Even states that do allow you to conduct pre-suit discovery, the court in question must actually have jurisdiction over the individual in question: http://law.justia.com/cases/texas/supreme-court/2014/13-0073.html The person making these defamatory accusations might not even live in the United States. Then what do you do?

How would you propose to do things differently?

Well, first off, I'd make it so that citizens would not be responsible for outright paying for attorney costs. I think most citizens, if they were guaranteed the providence of a quality state-appointed attorney for a situation that warranted such, would be willing to do with a small tax to provide basic revenue toward those attorneys and lawyers. The gov't could provide bonus incentives for attorneys that perform their job well, honestly, and fairly for their defendants.

A review board or panel could rate the attorney's performance against a set of criteria to see how they measure up, those who under-perform take remedial courses to reform or are squeezed out of the system. Base the pay off of quality of job performance, just like most other professions.

That's a rough concept, but an idea nonetheless. It'd solve the problem of overpaid attorneys and lawyers, and curb on bad practices. Essentially, it shouldn't get rid of privatized practice firms completely, but stipulates a revenue baseline for them and a cap that's subject to review before they can receive additional profits. A national organization that all firms would need to conform with, or they can't be in business. And of course, state-appointed attorneys would be subject to the same conditions.

This is how it works, unless the defendant turns out to be without the means to pay a judgment against him or her. In which case, who do you suggest foot the bill for the litigation?

What maybe could work is, if the defendant is unable, their place of employ will foot the bill. But employers would need to know if the defendant has a history of being in hate groups or is affiliated with them before hiring to make it fair on them.

If the defendant has no employer, corporations could donate to a fund that would pay out the winner; in return they could be rewarded with tax breaks or other incentives.

The damage is already done. You think that having people acknowledge that they were mistaken is going to make up for the damage already done? It certainly didn't help Sunil Tripathi's family after Reddit accused him of being the Boston Bomber. Or how the New York Post wrote an article with a picture of Salah Eddin Barhoum and his friend and accused them of being the Boston Bombers. And how Barhoum went to the local police department to clear his name but was terrified of leaving his house.

Ryan Lanza: Brother of Adam Lanza. His picture was leaked and people on the Internet thought it was a picture of the shooter.

Garnet Ford: Roofer. Accused for murder after social media assumed it was him because the suspect was a thin black male. Three guesses on Garnet's physical appearance. Police never named him as a suspect.

Steven Rudderham: Accused of pedophilia by a Facebook account. The entire town assumed it was true and turned on him. Someone tried to burn down his house and he committed suicide.

Sunny Burns: An Australian model living in Thailand. Accused of being responsible for the bombing in Bangkok after Internet sleuths "identified" him as the bomber.

"Oops. Our bad. But you probably should be able to sweep this under the rug. Sorry about the death threats and lynch mobs."

And yes. I'm using the word "lynch mob" because that's literally what some people in Philadelphia formed after someone posted a random picture of Triz Jefferies on Facebook accusing him of being a rapist/murderer.
Those examples are tragic but are exactly why I wouldn't advocate for lynchmob social justice tactics. You need qualified, licensed individuals to do this sort of thing, so mistaken identities isn't a problem. Preferably the gov't would already be on this but at the very least, allow citizens who pass qualifications to do their work for them.

Yep

Like they did.

Congratulations - taking your advice would have led to the death and killing of single mothers, black people, people with mental health issues (schizophrenia, etc) and gay people earlier in the history of this country. All of those groups, at one point or another, have been considered by the vast majority of the population to be "unclean", "morally deficient" and "to be shamed and outed".
I got a laugh out of that, but the point stands. Those other groups, through hindsight, were never the monsters others purposed them to be. We all know the Klan are reprehensible imps, and they deserve to be outed. People need to be aware of them, and ostracize them accordingly.

I would never advocate for something like lynchmob mentality tactics, or the particular execution this organization is displaying. Especially further back in time, where methods for cross-references and fact-checking weren't as error-proof (not saying they're error-proof today, obviously. But it's better than back in, say, the '50s). Back in those old days understandings of certain aspects of humanity and society were not well understood (not to mention the country was much more explicitly racist/sexist/homophobic back then), so even something like having the government list out members of hate organizations was a no-go due to neanderthal-level bias projected by the majority at that time.

But what is so inherently evil about listing members of hate groups in the same manner we list sex offenders and terrorists? Do you see neighborhoods dragging out and killing those sorts en masse? No. I'm not saying those incidents haven't happened, but they're the exception, not the rule.

What I would propose is not something that literally anyone can do. I don't want another NRA. Skilled, qualified individuals who operate within the bounds of the law in which nothing outright illegal or malicious is being done to bring about justice. All I am literally proposing is that, if need be, the government simply list members of the Klan and other hate groups on a public profile list, as is done with child sex offenders and terrorists. It is not an extreme concept, in fact it is pretty cut-and-paste common sense at this point.

Perhaps the most terrifying thing I've read in this forum.

I'd like to ask the people who are concerned about innocents being wrapped up in this a question.

We already have evidence of Klan members being involved in law enforcement. Obviously that's not okay, right?

There's a very large probability that those officers in police work have used their power to negatively impact black Americans. Some of whom could be innocent.

Our justice system has put innocent people to death.

I'm not personally saying that this is right, because I have very mixed feelings about it. But I'm curious as to why one group of potential innocents is more important than another group of innocents. If there are KKK members in "prominent" positions such as education, law enforcement, or public service, they have absolutely used their power to hurt innocent black people.

A followup question is this:

Since we know that the KKK (and racists to a larger extent) have infiltrated positions in which they can use their power to influence black Americans, how do we deal with that if something like this isn't done?

Hacking personal info tends to involve a lack of scruples/accountability, and you need scruples/accountability to be a good reporter. In a perfect world this would be great, but yeah I can't help but think some innocent people are going to get fucked over.

Perhaps the most terrifying thing I've read in this forum.
Oh come on, you haven't been reading enough then. There's nothing wrong in that proposition.

It's the stuff of hacker-saves-the-day B-tier movie plots or CBS police procedurals mashed up with some dystopian government elements. Bizarre.
30 years ago a lot of the things we consider normal today were equally considered bizarre back then, too.

Cagey

Banned
Oh come on, you haven't been reading enough then. There's nothing wrong in that proposition.

30 years ago a lot of the things we consider normal today were equally considered bizarre back then, too.

Bizarre was my bewilderment that you're advocating for the idea. The idea itself is downright appalling, blending the worst elements of authoritarianism and anarchy alike: a system of quasi-sanctioned vigilantes digging up dirt for government watch lists? All because you agree with the nobility and virtue of the mission's ends?

Technological component aside, a variant of this idea was once considered a Good Idea back in the day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_Un-American_Activities_Committee

A lot of innocent people are about to get accused of being KKK members because of 12 year old internet detectives.
Insane that people think this a good idea.

reckless

Well there is absolutely no way that this is going to end badly. Unaccountable people playing internet vigilante, trying to whip up the internet mob.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I'd like to ask the people who are concerned about innocents being wrapped up in this a question.

We already have evidence of Klan members being involved in law enforcement. Obviously that's not okay, right?

There's a very large probability that those officers in police work have used their power to negatively impact black Americans. Some of whom could be innocent.

I'm not personally saying that this is right, because I have very mixed feelings about it. But I'm curious as to why one group of potential innocents is more important than another group of innocents. If there are KKK members in "prominent" positions such as education, law enforcement, or public service, they have absolutely used their power to hurt innocent black people.

Since we know that the KKK (and racists to a larger extent) have infiltrated positions in which they can use their power to influence black Americans, how do we deal with that if something like this isn't done?

I have a question for you.

How do you think this has been resolved anywhere else in history, anywhere else in the past?

Joni

In a better legal system it wouldn't be the innocent defending themselves; it'd be skilled lawyers and attorneys doing such, but without the costs being incurred back on the citizen unless it turned out they were lying about their defamation by not actually being mistakenly listed as a member of a hate group, of course.
So you want to completely reinvent the legal system so innocent people can defend themselves when we have a system that works, that works by hopefully attacking the guilty, not having the innocent defend themselves.

I think that you're missing that the KKK is an organization that is being thoroughly dealt with with by traditional federal law enforcement. Being against internet vigilantism does not mean that you're against cracking down on the KKK. It's my opinion that internet vigilantism will produce negligible effects here, versus the cost of incorrectly associating people with the KKK... So far, the many prominent names on "the list" -- mayors and representatives -- have denied that they're KKK members, and some of them are so obviously not KKK members (e.g., liberal activists who fight for civil rights) that it makes the entire list plausibly deniable by any people who are actual members of the KKK.

On the other hand, the FBI and Federal government has been remarkably successful at combatting the KKK. The FBI's war on the KKK is the most successful program that the government has launched against any subversive, criminal group, domestic or abroad. Earlier in the 20th century, there were some 6million active members of the KKK. By the 2000s, there were 5,000 members of the KKK. During the mid-20th century, the KKK was a widely influential, subversive terror group throughout the US. Today, the KKK is a loosely affiliated, dying terror group that has zero influence, and widely discredited.

So, in opposing internet vigilantism -- which has no record of success, is easily denied, and is already incorrectly naming people -- I am not opposed to all efforts to crack down on the KKK, but quite the opposite, I think that there is more harm introduced than good. The fact that this list has already produced some names that just don't sound or look right undermines it. Real members of the KKK who are named can quite easily say "I'm not a member of the KKK and I don't know how I ended up on this list... Look at the other obvious people who are not members of the KKK, this list isn't credible." A much more effective method than uploading a pastebin is to get influencial names and put them in the hands of a journalism or whistle blower who is capable of doing some research and putting their name behind something like this. That sort of action has worked in the past, and if Anonymous has some resources that have proven members of the KKK, then the most reliable way to name those people is to get it into a newspaper that will put some effort of investigative journalism and then publicize those names with credibility. Dumping the names to the internet is so easily undermined, has no assurances against people being incorrectly named, and easily denied by people who may actually be legitimate KKK members.

On an aside, I'm also suspect of how many active members of the KKK have infiltrated public services today... The organization is so decimated, so poorly organized, so poorly funded, and barely relevant. Now, I definitely don't want any KKK, and even 5,000 members throughout the US is 5,000 members too many, but I don't think that a list that is already plausibly denied is the best way to combat these 5,000 members... I think that what the FBI has done over the last 50 years is the best way. For the record, the FBI's crackdown on the KKK has been very, very successful.

Bizarre was my bewilderment that you're advocating for the idea. The idea itself is downright appalling, blending the worst elements of authoritarianism and anarchy alike: a system of quasi-sanctioned vigilantes digging up dirt for government watch lists? All because you agree with the nobility and virtue of the mission's ends?

Technological component aside, a variant of this idea was once considered a Good Idea back in the day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_Un-American_Activities_Committee

Bad implementations of ideas, again, doesn't directly invalidate the idea, as long as the idea is just, noble, honest, and virtuous. Apparently Bush also saw this and we got the Patriot Act, but he also failed to learn from the failure of your example b/c that act did a lot of the same things (in a relative sense) under "patriotism". Which, thankfully, is why it's been curbed down on over the years, and hopefully removed fully one day.

Yes there's margins for error, just like with every other plan in all of forever. But the end benefits in this case would outweigh the risks, and the risks could be minimized drastically if proper people with proper values were put in place to act on it. I'm not even talking about or defending Operation KKK anymore; in fact I haven't done so since at most my 2nd post in this thread when the evidence became clear. But when you break it down, there are redeeming qualities in their idea, in the right hands, that would benefit everyone, not just minorities.

People just need to be more open to the idea. Also hopefully in this day and age we could avoid it turning into a case of authoritarianism as well.

For some people, the answer seem to be we don't deal with it :/

Which is quite sad to think about, and even moreso (with a dash of irony) when they say the focus should be on institutional racism. As if the two exist in two separate realities and share nothing in common whatsoever.

So you want to completely reinvent the legal system so innocent people can defend themselves when we have a system that works, that works by hopefully attacking the guilty, not having the innocent defend themselves.

It wouldn't be a reinvention, just a revision. We're talking about a crime that basically comes down to "he said, she said". There's no physical evidence for police or detectives to gather, have sent to forensics, etc. There's no way to really test the individual making the claim other than a lie detector. In fact, it'd probably be best to subject both the person bringing up the suit, and the person being blamed for the defamation, to a lie detector test early on, to cut down on any possible waste of time or resources.

Since in this case individuals would be drawing up the case themselves, it's closer to civil court (I guess this is what you are also assuming since you keep mentioning the need for them to "defend themselves"), but what I'm proposing is a refinement of the civil system where the civilian doesn't do the defending; a professional attorney defends for them, just like in a criminal case. That doesn't mean the defendant, if they lose, have to be subjected to criminal punishment, just that the process itself is conducted more seriously like a criminal trail.

One of the reasons I have always suspected civil and criminal cases were trailed differently was due to lack of resources to expend criminal-level aspects like juries, lawyers and attorneys down to "civil" disputes, because of the way the legal system is set up. Not sure how big a factor that is in such being the case, it's just my own hunch regarding a possible factor.

Anyhow, I'd love to continue discussing this a little later in the evening, to anyone interested. I'm open to a challenge of ideas but at the same time it'd be nice if the other side were receptive of seeing things from a different perspective as well.

Pastry

Banned
Bad implementations of ideas, again, doesn't directly invalidate the idea, as long as the idea is just, noble, honest, and virtuous. Apparently Bush also saw this and we got the Patriot Act, but he also failed to learn from the failure of your example b/c that act did a lot of the same things (in a relative sense) under "patriotism". Which, thankfully, is why it's been curbed down on over the years, and hopefully removed fully one day.

Yes there's margins for error, just like with every other plan in all of forever. But the end benefits in this case would outweigh the risks, and the risks could be minimized drastically if proper people with proper values were put in place to act on it. I'm not even talking about or defending Operation KKK anymore; in fact I haven't done so since at most my 2nd post in this thread when the evidence became clear. But when you break it down, there are redeeming qualities in their idea, in the right hands, that would benefit everyone, not just minorities.

People just need to be more open to the idea. Also hopefully in this day and age we could avoid it turning into a case of authoritarianism as well.

Which is quite sad to think about, and even moreso (with a dash of irony) when they say the focus should be on institutional racism. As if the two exist in two separate realities and share nothing in common whatsoever.

You seem to be under the illusion that the KKK is still some incredibly powerful organization.

Seriously, who is saying this? Who is saying that the KKK shouldn't be dealt with??

Cagey

Banned

That you've deemed your cause noble and just is fantastic. Every instance of this sort of idea being implemented in the past, whether government-sanctioned or mob run or mob run turning into government-sanctioned or vice versa, has acted under the auspices of nobility and virtuousness of the cause. Righteousness.

As for the last part from yourself, the poster you quoted, and a few others, we're a mere hop and skip away from "well why don't you support this idea? you're not in favor of protecting racists, are you? you're not... you're not one of them, are you?". We've seen this movie before: replace racists with Communists, then Nazis and the Japanese, then Communists again for decades, then Islamic terrorists. And that's only the history of the 20th Century and only in America.

It's proof positive that the political spectrum is not a straight line but a circle, and the extremes have more in common with each other, while remaining opposed, than they do with the less extremes on their respective sides.

It's terrifying thought and total anathema to modern civil society. When your idea boils down to "you know, Robespierre was on to something, but the execution (pardon the pun!) was a bit rough..." you need to step back and seriously evaluate your philosophies, ideals, and core values.

EDIT: Before the above is misrepresented, the poster quoted has moved beyond discussing the specifics of this story and discussed more general ideas, and I responded in-kind.

Pretty tough not to invoke Godwin here. Suffice it to say, governments have been making lists of unsavory people since writing was first developed and all those making said lists thought it was the right thing to do at the time.

Do you really want to empower the government to create public lists of folks who have done nothing contrary to the laws of the various states or nation? What about that pesky first amendment? There is a pretty good chance that something you enjoy today will run afoul of the social mores of the future, hopefully you won't end up on a list.

This is, in some ways, more disgusting than racism.

No, it's not. Considering that the KKK are what you might consider 'active' racists (meaning they don't just harbour racist views in private) thriving under a cover of anonymity, well if everyone targeted in this campaign were actually members of the KKK (which is the problem, but let's say it's not a problem) then it's actually a perfectly acceptable sentiment. The problem with that sentiment is just not recognizing that innocent people will probably get caught up in this, which as an oversight is probably unintentional and pretty forgivable.

And if Anonymous had just dropped the info without fanfare, instead of being a bunch of attention seekers the fakers wouldn't have had a 4 day lead.

Or, more than that, provided the prominent names to a newspaper who could do some investigative work on it, confirm it, and then publish a reliable story about it.

No, it's not. Considering the KKK are what you might consider 'active' racists thriving under a cover of anonymity, well if everyone targeted in this campaign were actually members of the KKK (which is the problem, but say it's not a problem) then it's actually a perfectly acceptable sentiment.

Just, for the record, the KKK is not thriving, it's dying. In fact, it's the weakest it has ever been in the history of the organization. That being said, I don't care about the privacy of racists, either.

Just, for the record, the KKK is not thriving, it's dying. In fact, it's the weakest it has ever been in the history of the organization.

That's not the point that I was making though, it was just an arbitrary word choice to convey that secrecy is a part of the recipe for the continuation of the organization.

Anonymous is a bad joke.

Besides, most of the racists with any real power and influence are crafty enough not to claim membership with something as obvious as the Klan, or protected enough that they don't need them

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Well, first off, I'd make it so that citizens would not be responsible for outright paying for attorney costs. I think most citizens, if they were guaranteed the providence of a quality state-appointed attorney for a situation that warranted such, would be willing to do with a small tax to provide basic revenue toward those attorneys and lawyers. The gov't could provide bonus incentives for attorneys that perform their job well, honestly, and fairly for their defendants.

A review board or panel could rate the attorney's performance against a set of criteria to see how they measure up, those who under-perform take remedial courses to reform or are squeezed out of the system. Base the pay off of quality of job performance, just like most other professions.

That's a rough concept, but an idea nonetheless. It'd solve the problem of overpaid attorneys and lawyers, and curb on bad practices. Essentially, it shouldn't get rid of privatized practice firms completely, but stipulates a revenue baseline for them and a cap that's subject to review before they can receive additional profits. A national organization that all firms would need to conform with, or they can't be in business. And of course, state-appointed attorneys would be subject to the same conditions.
I understand now. You're a socialist who thinks the problem with the legal system is that the lawyers make too much money.

Of course your proposal won't "get rid of privatized practice firms completely," because you'll still have defense firms flush with money from insurance companies and their corporate clients. Only, now you'll have individuals represented by government-provided plaintiff's attorneys who are limited in how much money and time they can spend advocating for their client's case going up against these well-funded defense attorneys. And if you don't think this is how it will work, please look at all the resources and manpower given to public defenders' offices across the country.

What maybe could work is, if the defendant is unable, their place of employ will foot the bill. But employers would need to know if the defendant has a history of being in hate groups or is affiliated with them before hiring to make it fair on them.
The defendant's... employer? That's absolutely ridiculous. How on earth you can think that this is justifiable I will never know. What you're proposing is that we render someone who was ever in a hate group essentially unemployable. Does the government now have to step in and put a roof over this person's head? Take care of their family? Take care of their kids? Do they get to file for disability on the basis of having been in a hate group? Or do we also make these people ineligible for government assistance? I understand that such people aren't really deserving of much empathy, but you need to think through your proposals here.

Does the "employer pay" method only apply where the defendant was a member of a hate group? What if they lacked insurance for their car, got drunk and hit somebody leaving that person in need of expensive care for the rest of their life? The employer on the hook if they knew their employee liked to get sauced? Are alcoholics now unemployable? What if the person fell asleep at the wheel of their car and injured someone? The employer on the hook if they knew their employee had trouble staying awake?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
It's honestly scary how many parallels doxxing has with the Red Scare.
Yep.
WAll I am literally proposing is that, if need be, the government simply list members of the Klan and other hate groups on a public profile list, as is done with child sex offenders and terrorists. It is not an extreme concept, in fact it is pretty cut-and-paste common sense at this point.

If Anonymous wants to actually make a difference, they'd send this supposed list of names to actual investigative journalists who have actual sources and methods to fact check and let them handle this and make sure any of this is actually credible.

It's unfortunate they got caught in the crosshairs, but they're well aware of how to use the legal system to their defense in correcting the matter.

There's no way the legal system can be used either in defense or in reparation of the damage done to innocent people targeted by Anonymous.

When you've seen members of Anonymous taken to court it's been over corporate or government espionage. The FBI and DoJ aren't going to help individuals falsely accused of being KKK members nor is there a specific person against which to take legal action.

Even in the event that a specific individual could be found, the person affected would have to prove to have standing in court (i.e., irrefutable evidence of specific actions taken by said individual and quantifiable damages) and the trial would only be civil (i.e. monetary) as opposed to criminal.

Innocent people will have their lives ruined by faceless mobs taking vigilante justice. Just say you're okay with this rather than attempting to make excuses.

Joni

It wouldn't be a reinvention, just a revision. We're talking about a crime that basically comes down to "he said, she said". There's no physical evidence for police or detectives to gather, have sent to forensics, etc.
Yes, there is. You go to a KKK rally, you probably guilty of belonging to a hate group.

There's no way to really test the individual making the claim other than a lie detector. In fact, it'd probably be best to subject both the person bringing up the suit, and the person being blamed for the defamation, to a lie detector test early on, to cut down on any possible waste of time or resources.
Again, you're starting on the basis that everyone is guilty and the innocent can just get through the lawsuit to get their name back. Despite all the evidence that this doesn't work in real life, that lawsuits are stressful, that lie detectors don't work, ....

Since in this case individuals would be drawing up the case themselves, it's closer to civil court (I guess this is what you are also assuming since you keep mentioning the need for them to "defend themselves"), but what I'm proposing is a refinement of the civil system where the civilian doesn't do the defending; a professional attorney defends for them, just like in a criminal case. That doesn't mean the defendant, if they lose, have to be subjected to criminal punishment, just that the process itself is conducted more seriously like a criminal trail.
the current legal system works on the basis that the guilty have to defend themselves (through an attorney) against an allegation of a crime. You're turning that around. Assume everyone is guilty and the innocent can work it out. It is nonsense.

If you're gonna target hate groups, why not try and get some emails or something from the Family Research Council or the AFA? Or if you're gonna target a racist group, why not the Aryan Brotherhood, who's membership is 4-5x that of the estimated membership of the KKK?

This is about getting attention, not attacking a hate group because it's the right thing to do.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
If you're gonna target hate groups, why not try and get some emails or something from the Family Research Council or the AFA? Or if you're gonna target a racist group, why not the Aryan Brotherhood, who's membership is 4-5x that of the estimated membership of the KKK?

This is about getting attention, not attacking a hate group because it's the right thing to do.

we don't know why at all, what does it matter why this group and not others?

the KKK is more prevalent in history and people "know" what the KKK is if you talk to anyone about it. Aryan Brotherhood, maybe not so much.

attention grabbing seems a bit off, too, considering they're titularly anonymous.

The Patriot Act hasn't been curbed; the U.S. government's surveillance powers have been gradually expanded. Going on witch hunts whether they be for communists or terrorists was never a just, noble, honest or virtuous idea. They have always, systemically, been a means of persecution.

Notice how there's a lack of specificity in this plan? Who are the proper people with proper values? Who defines what is proper? These ideas never work because humans are flawed.

Which will never happen.

Issues such as institutional racism take centuries to change. That's why we've been dealing with it since before the United States existed. It's a slow process that involves changing the very nature of how people think.

The issue is not finding members of the KKK in law enforcement, the issue is using this method to do so. No one really knows how inclusion to list was made, so literally anyone could be on it, even including those who aren't affiliated with KKK in any way.

As a starting point for a deeper investigation, ok. Check the names, see if they're openly associated with certain groups. See if they associate with known KKK members. Do the leg work. Pictures, written emails, something.

As a list of "these people are all definitely KKK members" it's a very poor way of dealing with things, especially given the numbers of false positives.

TL;DR: The idea is good, the method used is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom