• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Overwatch: Origins Edition" for PS4/XB1 [GameStop Promo Pictures]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming the $60 price tag stays, how do you think they'll handle additional content? Sell it as an expansion or piece by piece? Maybe supporting it with microtansactions?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Assuming the $60 price tag stays, how do you think they'll handle additional content? Sell it as an expansion or piece by piece? Maybe supporting it with microtansactions?

There's a microtransaction currency called "Brill Bucks" in the game files, so presumably that regardless of whether it's f2p or not.

I assume this is a full retail game with free DLC in the ways of maps and characters and will have cosmetic stuff to supportt that plan.

Somnia

If MS are streaming Blizzcon, I'm going to assume they have the marketing/partnership with Overwatch then, it'll come to both though.

There's a microtransaction currency called "Brill Bucks" in the game files, so presumably that regardless of whether it's f2p or not.

Interesting. Might be a system like SFV's Fight Money? Curious if that will tie into progression too with unlockable cosmetics or something.

Mid match character swapping is so core to Overwatch's gameplay that a payment model which restricts access to the majority of heroes for players would have major negative consequences on gameplay.

If this game used a HOTS or League like f2p model, the hypothetical free to play player with only certain characters unlocked couldn't swap mid match to a certain character that helped his/her team better due to roster restrictions, and it would devalue that aspect of the game greatly and likely upset that player's teammates.

A $60 boxed game that releases simultaneously onto PC and consoles with paid cosmetic DLC and paid major expansion packs but free map updates makes the most sense to me.

Good, getting it on other platforms increases the popularity of it and hopefully extends the life of it. I think I'll stick with PC version though since that is where the esports scene will be.

J-Skee

This is a pipe dream, but what if Blizzard figured out a way for BattleNet to work across PS4, Xbox One & PC, making the game cross compatible?

This is a pipe dream, but what if Blizzard figured out a way for BattleNet to work across PS4, Xbox One & PC, making the game cross compatible?
Most likely not as hard as it sounds, but Playstation and Xbox policies would probably prohibit this from happening.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

PS4/Xbox probably wouldn't let cross compatibility happen, but I would expect Blizzard to bring an updated battle.net platform to consoles in the same way Origin and Uplay work.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Hoping this isn't F2P with having to buy every hero, has a huge effect on how the game is designed.

I think about the Heroes of the Storm box at stores, but man that is a MASSIVE price gap between the two. Maybe it takes the Smite route somehow.

georly

League of legends had a 'starter pack' at retail when it first came out. Included like 20 champions (out of maybe 40-50 at the time?) and a handful of skins.

Could this be something like that? Just auto-unlocks a bunch of f2p content for you at a discount?

There is no way that game is worth $60 in it's current state.

No progression, unlocks, rewards, stat tracking, singleplayer, campaign/story mode.

Come on Blizz, you are better than this.

F2P with micros is fine. But $60? Hope that's for a more fleshed-out version of the game.

Well, really looking forward to Blizzcon now!

Wonder how soon we can expect this if Gamestop is already taking pre-orders.

Rad-

No progression, unlocks, rewards, stat tracking, singleplayer, campaign/story mode.

F2P with micros is fine. But $60? Hope that's for a more fleshed-out version of the game.

Even though the game is already very polished, I doubt it's done. The bolded will surely be added before launch. The rest aren't really important for a game like this.

Orayn

The $60 figure might be a placeholder, but all Blizzard has to do to justify a $X retail starter pack is include content that would normally cost more than $X if you bought it in-game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No progression, unlocks, rewards, stat tracking

It has the same stuff as Heroes of the Storm
a free 2 play game
in the files actually, right down the the master skins, portraits frames, skin themes, avatars, and character level cap.

http://www.overpwn.com/news/85-possible-content-teaser-overwatch-strings

"Progression
It looks like Overwatch has several unlockable items.

Unlock Spray
Unlock Skin Theme
Unlock Play of the Game
Unlock Portrait Frame
Unlock Master Weapon.
Unlock Нero Trophy
Unlock Avatar Portrait
Unlock List.
Unlocked
Unlocked by default

NEXT UNLOCK:
Hero Customization

Customize Locked Item
Customize Play of the Game Animation
Customize Skin Theme
Customize Skin
Customize Spray Item
Customize Preview Item
Customize.

Achievements

Hero Leveling
Reaper - Level 20
Rocкetqueen - Level 20 [Good chance this is Pharah]
Tracer - Level 20
Widowmaker - Level 20."

Well, really looking forward to Blizzcon now!

Wonder how soon we can expect this if Gamestop is already taking pre-orders.

It starts tomorrow night, right?

So, Blizz is probably prepping all the various sites and retailers today with the placeholder-stuff and other tid-bits.

a free 2 play game
in the files actually, right down the the master skins, portraits frames, skin themes, avatars, and character level cap.

"Progression

Unlock Spray
Unlock Skin Theme
Unlock Play of the Game
Unlock Portrait Frame
Unlock Master Weapon.
Unlock Нero Trophy
Unlock Avatar Portrait
Unlock List.
Unlocked
Unlocked by default

NEXT UNLOCK:
Hero Customization

Customize Locked Item
Customize Skin Theme
Customize Skin
Customize Spray Item
Customize Preview Item
Customize.

Achievements

Hero Leveling
Reaper - Level 20
Tracer - Level 20
Widowmaker - Level 20."

Hmmm... well, that's a start.

Mostly cosmetics I guess?

Quonny

League of Legends did this, too.

They had a boxed version for like $30 that had a lot of champion unlocks, boosters, skins, etc.

Keasar

If I don't remember wrong, all heroes are supposed to be unlocked for the purpose of the gameplay (since its integral to switch between heroes during a match), so I guess this package would include customization stuff only?

Bootsy

Is it silly to hope they follow the Dota 2 F2P model for heroes instead of the LoL/HotS model. Seems being stuck on a handfull of free/rotating characters throughout the whole match while other can tune their composition to a larger extent would be quite the disadvantage. I guess they could always tone down the uniqueness of each character so a bunch of different heroes fit the same mold and are effectively interchangeable but that seems like boring design.

DeaviL

Banned
Just let me pay a reasonable one-time fee for all heroes or something like that and i'll be first in line.
More devs should look to either Dota2 or SMITE.
All heroes for free or a single fee for current and future heroes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/3rni6o/overwatch_for_consoles/
Also don't read that subreddit
Q9C60xc.jpg

I'd be far more satisfied with a $60 entry price with long-term support and free updates than a microtransaction model. I'm not in the beta yet, but from watching streamers/gameplay footage, it looks like the game balance is based around certain characters countering others, and an F2P 'weekly heroes' model would ruin that. The model could be based purely around cosmetics, a-la Dota 2, but I doubt it as that probably looks less profitable to the business-people and a $60 bag of cosmetics on consoles sounds weird.

To me though, this sounds like it's going to be F2P with a $60 price point for all the at-launch content; i.e. all the announced characters for $60 bucks, but you aren't given future updates/characters for free. I'd also imagine that they're going to try to release new characters at a fairly regular interval (every few months).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If this is a starter edition instead of a cover price, I'm really curious to see how it sells.

This could be a fascinating business experiment for consoles.

otakukidd

PS4/Xbox probably wouldn't let cross compatibility happen, but I would expect Blizzard to bring an updated battle.net platform to consoles in the same way Origin and Uplay work.

Pretty sure the PlayStation side should be OK with it. They have multiple games that are crossplay with pcs. Microsoft not so much but are more open to it if you release a version of the game for windows 10 store (wont happen) and probably a no go to be with PlayStation.

Kosma

Banned
Good news, really keeping fingers crossed for an simultaneous pc/console launch.

But if Beta only started now its still way off :(

Orayn

Pretty sure the PlayStation side should be OK with it. They have multiple games that are crossplay with pcs. Microsoft not so much but are more open to it if you release a version of the game for windows 10 store (wont happen) and probably a no go to be with PlayStation.

Still a bad idea to pit KB/M against controllers in a relatively twitchy competitive shooter, IMO.

I had hoped that the unlocks were crossplatform so that I could play on PC and Xbox depending on whom of my friends I'd be playing with.

Still a bad idea to put KB/M against controllers in a relatively twitchy competitive shooter, IMO.

people are playing Overwatch with controllers on PC, maybe not the most competitive but it apparently works great.

I don't remember Blizzard ever coming out and saying if Overwatch would be F2P or not, but I may be wrong. I think we just assumed that it would make sense with being F2P, following market trends and the way most character-centric multiplayer games have run lately, like MOBAs.

I'd like a Smite-like model for the "retail" version. Basically, the game is F2P, and you can download it for your PC/PS4/Xbox and play for free, pick through some featured characters and gain in-game currency to purchase individual characters/skins/whatnot. However, with Smite, you can pay a single $30 cost to own every current and future character, which is a tremendous value compared to most MOBAs.

If the retail version of Overwatch provided every current and future character for a single $60 purchase (maybe with a few exclusive skins or other aesthetic-only freebies thrown in), then I'm completely fine with paying that.

a free 2 play game

"Progression

Unlock Spray
Unlock Skin Theme
Unlock Play of the Game
Unlock Portrait Frame
Unlock Master Weapon.
Unlock Нero Trophy
Unlock Avatar Portrait
Unlock List.
Unlocked
Unlocked by default

NEXT UNLOCK:
Hero Customization

Customize Locked Item
Customize Skin Theme
Customize Skin
Customize Spray Item
Customize Preview Item
Customize.

Achievements

Hero Leveling
Reaper - Level 20
Tracer - Level 20
Widowmaker - Level 20."

You seem to know an awful lot about Overwatch Nirolak. Havent seen you that interested in a particular game before :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom