• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Sequel Announced [Japanese arcade-only update for now]

Rhapsody

Banned
People should know that even though their character is getting nerfed, everyone is getting nerfed and toned down. So I wouldn't say characters like Naoto are in trouble just yet since a lot is changing. There's also frame data to consider.
Edit: I think I'll just remove some of what I typed. I don't want to sound like I'm arguing because the post could come across that way, haha.

But yeah, just my opinion on how good he can be. Stuff like ambiguous meterless 50/50 reset on Mitsuru/Yu with auto combo and also 5AA with meter make him pretty scary too, but I digress. But I do acknowledge everything you said. Just opinions vs opinions.

Stark

Banned
Persona 5 will take place at a girl's only high school dorm where the goofy protagonist somehow ends up being allowed to stay as he studies for his college entrance exams but because of shenanigans has to rescue his dormmates using the power of PERSONA! Can he pass his college entrance exams while wooing the girl of his dreams and at the same time not get kicked out of the dorm by the suspicious resident manager all while trying to save the world from Shadows? Also, magical girls.

Better than what we're getting atm!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I don't play Mitsuru because she's strong. I play Mitsuru because she's a strong, beautiful Japanese woman who don't need no husbando.

Squire

Banned
Persona 5 will take place at a girl's only high school dorm where the goofy protagonist somehow ends up being allowed to stay as he studies for his college entrance exams but because of shenanigans has to rescue his dormmates using the power of PERSONA! Can he pass his college entrance exams while wooing the girl of his dreams and at the same time not get kicked out of the dorm by the suspicious resident manager all while trying to save the world from Shadows? Also, magical girls.

Sounds vaguely like Rosario + Vampire.

That's a second hand perspective though. Never seen the show myself. Nope, no way. *whistle*

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

One of the students is a robot...

BUT WHICH ONE?!

ehhh the yukiko stuff doesn't really matter for me.

The big one is 5C and 2c being dash cancelable. I just was hoping that awakening super would be invul enough that I can use it as a reversal "get off me". Its stupid how mitsu/yu can just mash it on super flash and punish me WHILE avoiding all the fire hits due to their invul frames.

If not, atleast allow yukiko's dp to be super cancelable. I mean its already tied to the persona and can't be done in the air (and does 100 dmg lol?).

I have to see the practicality of the new move she got. I was kinda hoping she would retain some of her fire levels between rounds (like 1/4 or 1/3 round down). Powering up means you give up momentum which is what yukiko needs. Giving that up means that characters such as akihiko, mitsu, chie, aigis, yu and etc all have the chance to get in. With the current system, there is no way I will ever powerup and risk losing when I can keep the momentum and atleast win at the neutral game. By letting yukiko retain some of the fire levels, you can build up towards the "end game" and sacrifice round 1 in order to get a better round 2 and 3.

Busaiku

I wouldn't necessarily call more Persona cards a buff.
Yeah, you can throw them out more, but if you get Persona broken, it takes much longer to recover.

So if Yukiko, Elizabeth, or Shadow Labrys get broken now (which they can very easily), they're in a lot of trouble.

I wouldn't necessarily call more Persona cards a buff.
Yeah, you can throw them out more, but if you get Persona broken, it takes much longer to recover.

So if Yukiko, Elizabeth, or Shadow Labrys get broken now (which they can very easily), they're in a lot of trouble.

exactly. Thats why I don't think the card buff is really that good unless the character can do high damage. Having a high card and a slower refill means that the character better win early game or else they will have a very hard time as the match goes on.

The problem is that most zoners gameplan is to draw out the match.

gibration

They should give each character a set of costumes. If anything it'll probably be DLC but it makes sense with the Persona series. Would love to play Mitsuru with her school outfit.
210px-Mitsuru_Kirijo_render.png

Nyoro SF

Love Persohina 5

I think I'll just remove some of what I typed. I don't want to sound like I'm arguing because the post could come across that way, haha.

But yeah, just my opinion on how good he can be. Stuff like ambiguous meterless 50/50 reset on Mitsuru/Yu with auto combo and also 5AA with meter make him pretty scary too, but I digress. But I do acknowledge everything you said. Just opinions vs opinions.

Didn't come across as you arguing for me, haha. I can definitely see why you'd think of his oki/mixup that way. It's just that when you learn how to handle the matchups against Aki well enough, it becomes a lot less effective (unlike for the top-tiers, who even if you learn how to deal with their oki it's still overbearing). There are ways for Aki to get around people blowing up his oki/mixup, so I'm probably making things look worse than they are just because of some of my experiences against some of the top players.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Didn't come across as you arguing for me, haha. I can definitely see why you'd think of his oki/mixup that way. It's just that when you learn how to handle the matchups against Aki well enough, it becomes a lot less effective (unlike for the top-tiers, who even if you learn how to deal with their oki it's still overbearing). There are ways for Aki to get around people blowing up his oki/mixup, so I'm probably making things look worse than they are just because of some of my experiences against some of the top players.

I've had to do some desperate, unnecessarily risky stuff as Akihiko just to keep opponents unsure. Playing against Qis and Pro... lol

Even when ahead on the lifebar, the mindgames and intimidation that you NEED to have with Akihiko in order to be effective against guys is just a constant since his tools aren't enough. I remember throwing AoAs and sweeps into the AAA blockstring, run up & weaves, jump cancelling just to throw a Caesar overhead buttnaked in the air, hopping as a primary means of transportation, rolling because I worked too f'n hard for a knockdown just to get wakeup DPd again and having to block it like a chump instead of getting the FC I deserve...

Rough times playing Akihiko.

Rhapsody

Banned

Yeah, I agree. Which is why I think he's around where Yosuke is. Both have really really dumb stuff, but of course you need to get around to starting your game. While the better characters can easily start what they're best at with less commitment and effort.

But yeah, most of my matchup knowledge is just by SoCal and NorCal experience. So I've yet to face EC (besides LK I guess).

Dresden

Should just be a boy's only high school dorm.

Bromance all day . . . and more.

thats fine if they give her more tools. Make her less reliant on red axe.

She gained two new abilities plus a number of other changes. They should make blue axe sting less.

I guess but her good combo's rely on red axe so having to build it up each time kind of sucks.

I guess I'll wait for more footage to see how the changes play out.

Also, all Arcsys games need to move to 3D like GG Xrd. Seriously it looks so much better compared to the sprites even though I love 2D. BB and P4:A (probably not unless Atlus wants another game) using their new 3D tech would be the best.

Rhapsody

Banned
I've had to do some desperate, unnecessarily risky stuff as Akihiko just to keep opponents unsure. Playing against Qis and Pro... lol

Even when ahead on the lifebar, the mindgames and intimidation that you NEED to have with Akihiko in order to be effective against guys is just a constant since his tools aren't enough. I remember throwing AoAs and sweeps into the AAA blockstring, run up & weaves, jump cancelling just to throw a Caesar overhead buttnaked in the air, hopping as a primary means of transportation, rolling because I worked too f'n hard for a knockdown just to get wakeup DPd again and having to block it like a chump instead of getting the FC I deserve...

Rough times playing Akihiko.

From what Akihiko can JC on block (which is very limited), I wouldn't JC into j.C lol. Ceaser's more of a max range option so they can't AA it as easily with a DP (normals are risky since it has body property iirc). Hopping shouldn't be a mean of opening people up since his jump arc is low enough. You shouldn't get wakeup DP'ed by most of the cast after BnB ending with corkscrew. I don't think his high low mixup is that great. It's mostly left/rights, resets, and using level 2 cyclone into throw.

No offense to Q, but unless you were playing him when he actively played it (which was early meta anyways), he doesn't really put that much effort into P4A anymore.

Plus, getting in with Akihiko is going to rely on not just reads, but good whiff punishing abilities too which is tough for some players.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
From what Akihiko can JC on block (which is very limited), I wouldn't JC into j.C lol. Ceaser's more of a max range option so they can't AA it as easily with a DP (normals are risky since it has body property iirc). Hopping shouldn't be a mean of opening people up since his jump arc is low enough. You shouldn't get wakeup DP'ed by most of the cast after BnB ending with corkscrew. I don't think his high low mixup is that great. It's mostly left/rights, resets, and using level 2 cyclone into throw.
Many times its better to be unpredictable with Akihiko than anything else. Against 'good' competition, they're more than prepared for his few options to get in. I think that the one thing they definitely got right with Akihiko was his health. He was built to be wrong.

And regarding wakeups... screw that noise. The wakeup abilities in P4A are simply not favorable for Akihiko. Glad they're being toned down as a whole.

Edit: Yeah, this was very early. I kept playing offline but Akihiko's issues only got worse as his lack of versatility made him easier to key off of than Kanji.

Many times its better to be unpredictable with Akihiko than anything else. Against 'good' competition, they're more than prepared for his few options to get in. I think that the one thing they definitely got right with Akihiko was his health. He was built to be wrong.

And regarding wakeups... screw that noise. The wakeup abilities in P4A are simply not favorable for Akihiko. Glad they're being toned down as a whole.

Edit: Yeah, this was very early. I kept playing offline but Akihiko's issues only got worse as his lack of versatility made him easier to key off of than Kanji.

there aren't that many chars that have great wakeup options, its just the ones that do are all miles better than the rest.

Westlo

There is no chance this stays arcade only.

Yep...

*looks at all the persona 3 and 4 rereleases/spinoffs*

*looks @ all the ASW revisions for blazblue and guilty gear released on consoles*

*remembers how SSFIV:AE was arcade only*

lol @ anyone buying that.

You know what, I don't even care. I fell for Mitsuru's charge/hold playing style, not her brokenness. I will persist on, bring on any nerf you bring.

Jazz-ism

Banned
the 6 card primer thing is a catch 22 tho...remember that

if u kill slab or liz persona in a round...they have to go like 20 secs of no persona now since the cards refill at the same rate but they have more cards to fill

liz with no persona = lol

Top Bottom