• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Sequel Announced [Japanese arcade-only update for now]

Rhapsody

Banned
Finally got around to reading those changes on the pastebin. Game sounds pretty interesting now.
I'm really glad this game got a full sequel update instead of just small character balances.
the 6 card primer thing is a catch 22 tho...remember that

if u kill slab or liz persona in a round...they have to go like 20 secs of no persona now since the cards refill at the same rate but they have more cards to fill

liz with no persona = lol

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I just hope Liz's persona isn't easily broken this time round.
Using Thanatos in a blockstring almost mean losing a card if you couldn't get anything going. :/

the 6 card primer thing is a catch 22 tho...remember that

if u kill slab or liz persona in a round...they have to go like 20 secs of no persona now since the cards refill at the same rate but they have more cards to fill

liz with no persona = lol

which sucks really hard if you used your persona to bait attacks and punish them for hitting your persona. Have to see what they do.

Kenturoxx

Finally got around to reading those changes on the pastebin. Game sounds pretty interesting now.
I'm really glad this game got a full sequel update instead of just small character balances.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I just hope Liz's persona isn't easily broken this time round.
Using Thanatos in a blockstring almost mean losing a card if you couldn't get anything going. :/
-5C
Dash- and backdash-cancelable.
If first hit connects while very close to the opponent, second hit will go through them.
Dash- or backdash-canceling first hit causes Thanatos to disappear without performing second hit.

Rhapsody

Banned
-5C
Dash- and backdash-cancelable.
If first hit connects while very close to the opponent, second hit will go through them.
Dash- or backdash-canceling first hit causes Thanatos to disappear without performing second hit.

Oh thanks, I actually overlooked that. I wonder why that was listed in the nerfs though.

Squire

Banned
"Star Wars prequels"

God damn it you guys got me salty, UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH, why compare it to that, PLS.

salt-shaker-300x300.jpg

Pappasman

RE: SLink FM: The whole tournament justification in the story was silly, but I really liked the whole Labrys story as well as the interactions between the 3 and 4 characters. I didn't realize people disliked the story.

RE: SLink FM: The whole tournament justification in the story was silly, but I really liked the whole Labrys story as well as the interactions between the 3 and 4 characters. I didn't realize people disliked the story.

persona fans who hate fighting games tried to find any reason to hate the game. "OMG THEIR POSE ISN'T RIGHT!"

Rhapsody

Banned
This talk on the stream about Dojima and Nanako. I remember one of the ASW already said they wanted to do that but Atlus said no lol

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah, that's the one lol. Would've been an amusing idea if the game wasn't focused on story.

Also, speaking of the stream, I still need to play Mo. P4A GAF's strong and I need to shake off the rust.

Sophia

The general census, give or take a few standout diehards on either side of the fence, is that the overall story is good. The Labrys portions in particular have some very strong writing. However the P4 character story modes are fairly weak. There's little character development for anyone not named Yosuke or Teddie, a lot of repeat scenes, and it's silly that they fight each other.

It's really a continuation of the Persona 3 Drama CD rather than a proper sequel to Persona 4 honestly.

Yeah, that's the one lol. Would've been an amusing idea if the game wasn't focused on story.

Also, speaking of the stream, I still need to play Mo. P4A GAF's strong and I need to shake off the rust.

speaking of P4A gaf, the current list for the p4a tourney is about right in terms of tournament placing in 2-3 sets.

Wished I played against most of you guys when P4A was newer since I dropped the game super early.

Rhapsody

Banned
The general census, give or take a few standout diehards on either side of the fence, is that the overall story is good. The Labrys portions in particular have some very strong writing. However the P4 character story modes are fairly weak. There's little character development for anyone not named Yosuke or Teddie, a lot of repeat scenes, and it's silly that they fight each other.

It's really a continuation of the Persona 3 Drama CD rather than a proper sequel to Persona 4 honestly.

I think I would've completed P4A's story if they didn't have so many repeat scenes and if each characters' story all happened at the same time. Once the story hit the TV parts, it was hard to take it as canon.

Rhapsody

Banned
did he really suck in p4a? I always placed him like the middle of high tier or somewhere around that.

He was definitely better than liz, kanji, lab, yukiko and etc.

Yeah, I'd place him probably where you would. He was really good (but obviously not hanging with the top tiers).
I pretty much stole all I could from players like Torowa when I played http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7vFebGAIks

He basically had an ambiguous 4 way mixup if set up right lol

Sophia

I think I would've completed P4A's story if they didn't have so many repeat scenes and if each characters' story all happened at the same time. Once the story hit the TV parts, it was hard to take it as canon.

I'll be perfectly honest with you. The Persona 4 character story modes flat out suck. They're dull, for the most part their characterization goes no where, and whenever they're not interacting with Labrys or the P3 characters they basically have nothing to it. They could have easily been done as one story mode. I can fully understand someone not making it to the P3 story modes as a result.

(Teddie and Yosuke coincidentally have the strongest modes because they interact with the P3 Cast/Labrys the most.)

However I do feel that the Persona 3 story modes and Labrys are fairly strong writing. It's quite clear this game is a continuation of the P3 Drama CDs, and the Persona 4 cast members are just along for the ride. Further backed up by the fact that they have far more character development than any of the P4 cast members, and how many people cited Labrys's story as well as the ending to Mitsuru and Aigis's stories as a real tearjerker.

I hope that for the sequel they take the same concept of story arcs from Chronophantasma rather than character stories. They've already got a strong premise with Shadow versions of every character to serve as antagonists and many many plotlines they can use.

Yeah, I'd place him probably where you would. He was really good (but obviously not hanging with the top tiers).
I pretty much stole all I could from players like Torowa when I played http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7vFebGAIks

He basically had an ambiguous 4 way mixup if set up right lol

yeah. I have very little experience against yosuke. The only yosuke i played against seriously was Roe (i think) in the p4a tourney. I didn't know shit and got mind fuck with the flips and shit.

But based on his tools and damage, he would never be "Bad".

I just want it so that characters don't lose on knockdown. I feel like I can play well, get knock down by chie/yu and die.

He doesn't suck, but he's barely viable at high level play. He's a mediocre character, and his tournament presence shows it.

Thats like 3/4 of the cast.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'll be perfectly honest with you. The Persona 4 character story modes flat out suck. They're dull, for the most part their characterization goes no where, and whenever they're not interacting with Labrys or the P3 characters they basically have nothing to it. They could have easily been done as one story mode. I can fully understand someone not making it to the P3 story modes as a result.

(Teddie and Yosuke coincidentally have the strongest modes because they interact with the P3 Cast/Labrys the most.)

However I do feel that the Persona 3 story modes and Labrys are fairly strong writing. It's quite clear this game is a continuation of the P3 Drama CDs, and the Persona 4 cast members are just along for the ride. Further backed up by the fact that they have far more character development than any of the P4 cast members, and how many people cited Labrys's story as well as the ending to Mitsuru and Aigis's stories as a real tearjerker.

I hope that for the sequel they take the same concept of story arcs from Chronophantasma rather than character stories. They've already got a strong premise with Shadow versions of every character to serve as antagonists and many many plotlines they can use.

Agreed. I remember after finishing the initial 4 stories, I found the P3 stories and Labrys (what I've gotten to anyways) to be pretty interesting. I really shouldn't have played it in order of what was unlocked because that really just burned me out once I got to the good stuff.
yeah. I have very little experience against yosuke. The only yosuke i played against seriously was Roe (i think) in the p4a tourney. I didn't know shit and got mind fuck with the flips and shit.

Yeah. He basically falls in that camp where you feel like, this character is good, but I can just pick a better character using less effort.

Yosuke's one of my favorites to use though based on shenanigans. Doing j.C on a cornered turtling opponent into moonsault's pretty fun. Same goes for OMCing blocked A Dash Spring for a 50/50 high low mixup. Plus gliding is just super good against some characters since he's hard to catch. I have a lot of fun tech with him, but most of the Yosuke's I see online just do block dash spring into moonsault or some other flowchart stuff.

I've had to do some desperate, unnecessarily risky stuff as Akihiko just to keep opponents unsure. Playing against Qis and Pro... lol

Even when ahead on the lifebar, the mindgames and intimidation that you NEED to have with Akihiko in order to be effective against guys is just a constant since his tools aren't enough. I remember throwing AoAs and sweeps into the AAA blockstring, run up & weaves, jump cancelling just to throw a Caesar overhead buttnaked in the air, hopping as a primary means of transportation, rolling because I worked too f'n hard for a knockdown just to get wakeup DPd again and having to block it like a chump instead of getting the FC I deserve...

Rough times playing Akihiko.

You really shouldn't be using 5AAA as a blockstring anyways, at least not as your primary mixup tool. Nor should you be hopping :s

Are you making use of your safejump setups? They'd take care of a lot of your DP issues. Instead of jump canceling (I'm guessing 5A/2A?) into j.C, do jump > air turn IAD and do either j.A or j.B. You can also do SB Duck for a crossup. Both options are much more viable than jump canceling to j.C (which is easy to get CH for when you use it after a move with little advantage). Also, I don't see how you're not getting a punish off of a blocked DP.

PK Gaming

I just want it so that characters don't lose on knockdown. I feel like I can play well, get knock down by chie/yu and die.

Thats like 3/4 of the cast.

Except some of those characters actually cracked top 16 (and even top 8) at evo, lol.

Except some of those characters actually cracked top 16 (and even top 8) at evo, lol.

thats the players. Are you really going to tell me yukiko is better than yosuke?

Stunedge is clearly one of the better fighting game players but he loses due to character matchup.

Top 8 had only 2 characters that stood out. Yukiko and Slab. The slab user (bananaken) is in the same boat with stunedge.

1. Yume (Aigis)
2. LordKnight (Mitsuru)
3. BananaKen (Shadow Labrys)
4. BrkrDave (Teddie)
5. Stunedge (Yukiko)
5. Die-chan (Mitsuru)
7. Spark (Teddie)
7. Domi (Akihiko)

9. MCZ|Tokido (Mitsuru)
9. Dogura (Chie)
9. Chosen Ninja (Yukiko)
9. DC (Mitsuru)
13. Fakku! Delta
13. XAN|DJ Huoshen (Yukiko)
13. Tomo (Shadow Labrys)
13. Grover (Yu)

Tell me, beside the three yukiko, and the two slab, what else stood out?
Wheres naoto, lab, yosuke (don't tell me yosuke is worse than yukiko or slab), kanji, liz, and etc?

A character making top 8/16 =/= viable character. Hakan was played and won 2 games straight at top 8 at evo. Does that make hakan better than most of the cast? What about guile in 2012? Balrog?

Rhapsody

Banned
A character making top 8/16 =/= viable character. Hakan was played and won 2 games straight at top 8 at evo. Does that make hakan better than most of the cast? What about guile in 2012? Balrog?

Labrys made top 8 in Arc Revo. I really wish that meant she was viable lol

But yeah, agreed, players make a big part of it. This is the extreme, but it's like Zero in Vanilla and early Ultimate. Everyone knew he was really good, it was just that none of the top players felt like using him. Early P4A, there weren't a lot of Narukamis either, but people placed him high.

Labrys made top 8 in Arc Revo. I really wish that meant she was viable lol

But yeah, agreed, players make a big part of it. This is the extreme, but it's like Zero in Vanilla and early Ultimate. Everyone knew he was really good, it was just that none of the top players felt like using him. Early P4A, there weren't a lot of Narukamis either, but people placed him high.

was Arc Revo single elim? I know SBO was for P4A.

Yeah, single elim. Funny thing is, before top 8, the Labrys beat Yume's Aigis lol

Lost to Narukami first round in top 8 though (it was close though).

Yeah i had a feeling it was single elim. Single elim always has weird characters in placements. I remember somebody saying naoto being in top 8 at SBO meant she was top tier.

yeah..... about that.

Busaiku

Shadow Labrys is definitely not on the same level as Yosuke, Yukiko, or Naoto.
Even outside of LordKnight, people believe she definitely hangs with Chie/Yu just outside of the top 3.

Of course LK will tell you she's top 3.

Shadow Labrys is definitely not on the same level as Yosuke, Yukiko, or Naoto.
Even outside of LordKnight, people believe she definitely hangs with Chie/Yu just outside of the top 3.

Of course LK will tell you she's top 3.

I don't think slab is top 6. Just because 1-2 guy is doing really well with a character does not make it a good character. I think she is like mid tier, and at the VERY most lowest end of high tier. I just think her overall game is too much risk compared to the reward.

Jintor

I actually think Kanji's story mode is hilarious. It's crap, sure, but at least it's not the same crap as every other P4 character's.

Yu's is also okay by virtue of getting a glimpse into canon Yu's brain.

Sophia

I actually think Kanji's story mode is hilarious. It's crap, sure, but at least it's not the same crap as every other P4 character's.

Yu's is terribly boring outside of his interactions with Aigis and Elizabeth. That said, he has the advantage of his story goes somewhere. Yosuke, Yukiko, and Chie don't figure anything out until the P3 cast show up.

Rhapsody

Banned
Before I stopped, I felt that Shabrys was around Akihiko and Yosuke level, but now I think she's better.
I feel like I underestimated her, admittedly like I did for Naoto (Naoto's still bad but not as much as I originally thought lol).

The real problem are the first 4 P4 stories, Kanji, Naoto, and Teddie justify their existence by at least being different. Although the other 4 have their moments for sure (the joke endings and seeing a siscon Yu mostly).

I completely agree, most of the P4 characters have little to no interaction with Labrys or the P3 cast or are flat out antagonistic towards them. I purposefully left Yu's ending until last expecting it to be the true ending, but afterwards I was severely disappointed and wanted either Yosuke, Teddie or Mitsuru's route to be considered the true ending.

At the start you'd get the idea that the P3 characters have just been shoehorned into a P4 game, but by the end the reverse is true - Chie and Kanji in particular could be left out and there would be absolutely no impact on the plot.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
You really shouldn't be using 5AAA as a blockstring anyways, at least not as your primary mixup tool. Nor should you be hopping :s

Are you making use of your safejump setups? They'd take care of a lot of your DP issues. Instead of jump canceling (I'm guessing 5A/2A?) into j.C, do jump > air turn IAD and do either j.A or j.B. You can also do SB Duck for a crossup. Both options are much more viable than jump canceling to j.C (which is easy to get CH for when you use it after a move with little advantage). Also, I don't see how you're not getting a punish off of a blocked DP.
I think people mistook this as my norm lol.

I said I've had to do those things because the technical stuff with Akihiko against good competition is just not reliable - which leaves you doing things that are just "just crazy enough to work".

At the end of the day, Akihiko only has a few ways to get his stuff started. People know what to expect. Its not like playing with Vanessa in KoF at all. You have to take an abnormal amount of risks compared to others if you plan to main Akihiko.

And regarding wakeups again. The fact that all have armor makes it substantially different than other games. While you could normally just jump straight into someone after you bait it out, you have worry about supers being rolled right behind them like with SLab or meter making it absolutely safe to throw it out. I'd love for Akihiko to have a pick up mechanic like Tager. You have to work too hard to get in just to go back to playing it safe. That's always been my issue. Some characters simply can't be let off the hook again by being patient because once that opportunity is gone its rare that you'll get another without taking some more hits to get that chance back.

I find it strange that Yukari's ultimate is Mahagarula, instead of -dyne.

I thought that it was pretty smart, having the tournament to
parallel Labrys' experience as a lab guinea pig.

I'm suddenly reminded of how they kept playing this song in her story. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doB9lgD7gAg

PK Gaming

thats the players. Are you really going to tell me yukiko is better than yosuke?

Stunedge is clearly one of the better fighting game players but he loses due to character matchup.

Top 8 had only 2 characters that stood out. Yukiko and Slab. The slab user (bananaken) is in the same boat with stunedge.

Tell me, beside the three yukiko, and the two slab, what else stood out?
Wheres naoto, lab, yosuke (don't tell me yosuke is worse than yukiko or slab), kanji, liz, and etc?

Alright, alright fair enough! I'm completely off base here.

Top Bottom