• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y2Kev said:
so what if congress passes a bill tomorrow? this blows up in Dumbo's face?

McCain: "Good news, everyone: I did it!"

110wrpz.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
GhaleonEB said:
Wow. Just watched that five minute interview segment. When not regurgitating barely relevant talking points, she was flying all over the map, even contradicting herself. I was embarrassed watching it. Painful stuff.

10 days to the veep debate. Bring it on. :lol

That VP debate will NEVER happen.

Zeliard

Some Republicans aren't liking this at all:

U.S. News said:
"I'm puzzled," said longtime McCain supporter Ed Rogers, chairman of BGR Holding, a lobbying firm formerly known as Barbour Griffith & Rogers. "I think we, us McCain people, we need the debate. Not having it just freezes the board, and the status of the game right now favors Obama."

"We don't need to quit the game," he said. "We need to change the game."

U.S. News said:
Rogers was among those questioning what McCain can actually do when he heads back to the nation's capital. "The sentiment on the Hill is that by 3 o'clock Saturday afternoon, a package is going to pass," he said. "It's going to be unpopular but probably necessary. And I don't know what McCain is going to do when he comes back here--he really doesn't have any jurisdictional authority over this matter."

U.S. News said:
One longtime GOP adviser who has been involved in past presidential campaigns and debates says that McCain's move will spin out one of two ways: If he goes back to Washington and is seen as a catalyst for a palatable solution to the crisis, it will be a "great way for McCain to stop his bleeding on the economy," the adviser said. "But it can also be seen as a transparent political ploy, when he could just as easily appear at the debate, insist the discussion be all about the economy, and talk this through with Obama." The adviser's prediction: It will play out as a political ploy.

U.S. News said:
The McCain campaign official also appeared to leave some wiggle room for the candidate to participate in the debate. "It could still happen," he said. "But we won't know until we get our arms around this tomorrow." GOP strategists say, however, that after calling for the debate to be postponed, it would be almost impossible politically for McCain to change his position.

Trakdown

Gary Whitta said:
I've said it before, but I've never been sadder about Russert's death than since the advent of Palin. That Meet the Press interview would have been LEGENDARY.

She wouldn't be worthy to be within 5 feet of Tim. She can't even handle Gibson or Couric, for god's sakes.

HylianTom said:
Proposal for Obama's first line of the debate: "So nice to see that everyone has made it here tonight." :lol
Second line: "I'm glad that we could find time in our schedule to meander about here while everyone is suffering and we pretend to have the answers that will make us popular."

Haha... bam! Still got it! Unfortunately, I don't know how to spin the Veep debate... yet.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
soul creator said:
I honestly don't think I can watch that Palin interview. I think with her, I have that issue where watching other people in awkward situations makes me physically uncomfortable :lol

Yes I felt that. But the worst was at the very end, her last answer.

I put my hands on my head when she replied.

<:eek:

I honestly wouldn't trust McCain to balance my check book (since I do it online it would probably be beyond him actually), so I don't know why he is presenting himself as some kind of financial zen master whose vast wisdom Congress simply cannot handle this problem without. How fucking stupid does he think Americans are? Well I guess since the Palin pick didn't immediately send his polling into single digits he knows they're at least somewhat stupid.

I looked at this thread on my mobile phone this morning, looking to get a quick headline check and I find out all hell has broken loose while I was asleep.

Is the entire Republican campaign just one gigantic joke? It seems to me that McCain knows he won't win (or doesn't want to) and is trying to sabotage his own campaign as much as possible. It's almost as though he's a secret Obama supporter and is trying his darndest to make the electoral map go as blue as he can get it.

I mean, seriously, that's the only thing that would explain the Sarah Palin thing, trying to postpone the presidential debates to sit in on a meeting where he won't have any valuable input or power and is now trying to stop Palin from ever debating Biden.

The thing that baffles me the most about all of this is the fact that the polls don't seem to bear this out at all. If McCain's plan was to take a dive, then it seems that even his best efforts are not enough. It seems that regardless of just how hard he fucks up, there's still a base of party loyalists who would vote Republican even if the candidate were a chimp or a ficus tree and this base is still high enough to get him nearly half of the vote.

Fragamemnon said:
oh sweet god at the hanky panky plan. Here's how they came up with the 700 BILLION DOLLARS number:

Congress should not believe a damn word out of Hank's mouth EVER AGAIN.

Hank did run the investment back that's coming out of this looking like gold.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Ok. I'm convinced that McCain is intentionally throwing this election. None of the shit he's doing makes any sense at all. From his brain dead choice for VP to the lies in ads to this retarded move to delay debates.

This dude can't be serious about the election at all.

AniHawk

Gary Whitta said:
I honestly wouldn't trust McCain to balance my check book (since I do it online it would probably be beyond him actually), so I don't know why he is presenting himself as some kind of financial zen master whose vast wisdom Congress simply cannot handle this problem without. How fucking stupid does he think Americans are? Well I guess since the Palin pick didn't immediately send his polling into single digits he knows they're at least somewhat stupid.

On the plus side, most insta-polls showed people thought this was a political move and nothing more, and that they want the debates. Instead of starting out positive, like Palin, this has started off negative.

snacknuts

we all knew her
viciouskillersquirrel said:
It seems that regardless of just how hard he fucks up, there's still a base of party loyalists who would vote Republican even if the candidate were a chimp or a fistus tree and this base is still high enough to get him nearly half of the vote.

Fixed.

Amir0x

Banned
oh god just saw the last section of the interview

"I'll, uh, try to find you some and i'll bring it to you"

Now Matthews knocked that one random Obama surrogate for not knowing his specific legislative accomplishments during the primary season.

This is the fucking VICE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE. I defy any fucking McCain supporter on GAF to defend this.

HylianTom

Banned
Amir0x said:
oh god just saw the last section of the interview

"I'll, uh, try to find you some and i'll bring it to you"

Now Matthews knocked that one random Obama surrogate for not knowing his specific legislative accomplishments during the primary season.

This is the fucking VICE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE. I defy any fucking conservative on GAF to defend this.

"bu.. bu.. but.. they kill teh babeez!"

AniHawk said:
On the plus side, most insta-polls showed people thought this was a political move and nothing more, and that they want the debates. Instead of starting out positive, like Palin, this has started off negative.
My insta-poll (4 people at work) shows that the people see that McCain is an honorable guy who realizes that the financial crisis is more important than some stupid debate. If I remember correctly from my statistics courses in college, 4 is enough to constitute a sufficient sample size, so I say my polling trumps your's. I'm at 100% favoring McCain here.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Breaking, Chuck Todd is gorgeous:

Lovebunny.png

AniHawk

Steve Youngblood said:
My insta-poll (4 people at work) shows that the people see that McCain is an honorable guy who realizes that the financial crisis is more important than some stupid debate. If I remember correctly from my statistics courses in college, 4 is enough to constitute a sufficient sample size, so I say my polling trumps your's. I'm at 100% favoring McCain here.

You don't live in a swing state, do you?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
PhatSaqs said:
Ok. I'm convinced that McCain is intentionally throwing this election. None of the shit he's doing makes any sense at all. From his brain dead choice for VP to the lies in ads to this retarded move to delay debates.

This dude can't be serious about the election at all.
Same here. I just have a hard time believing he and his campaign could really be this out of touch with reality.

Amir0x said:
By the way, JESUS CHRIST @ Palin's latest interview

I mean just fucking jesus christ. Things are so clear now :lol
Yeah, she seemed relatively competent after delivering that acceptance speech at the convention. But with every successive unscripted statement since then, she just slides further and further downhill.

She's kinda like many Hollywood actors . . . they can act and seem smart delivering scripted lines. But when they have to talk on their own . . . . well.

AniHawk said:
Would you consider Missouri a swing state?
It's not a completely forgone conclusion to assume that Obama might win there, but if I was a betting man, I'd bet on McCain. And I am a betting man, so I've got 10 G's on McCain.

Amir0x

Banned
speculawyer said:
Yeah, she seemed relatively competent after delivering that acceptance speech at the convention. But with every successive unscripted statement since then, she just slides further and further downhill.

She's kinda like many Hollywood actors . . . they can act and seem smart delivering scripted lines. But when they have to talk on their own . . . . well.

She didn't even seem competent then, she seemed fascinating. She was good television, nothing more, nothing less.

Now she seems outright daft. This is not about sexism. Plenty of capable women out there. This is about her being a fucking idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom