• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ Games For May: Tropico 5, Table Top Racing: World Tour, Bionic Commando Rearmed 2

BumRush

Tropico impressions: controls become intuitive after a while, despite being a little jarring at first. The tutorials are okay but there are a lot of game systems so it can feel overwhelming to jump right into multi. Graphics, presentation, humor, etc are all great so far (played about 2 hours).

Lionheart

That said, they pay the developer per copy downloaded/purchased so auto adding to the collection would mean they would have to always pay them. We have a very limited power of "voting with our wallets" in not downloading a game.
Do you have a source for this?

I've read some time ago (but may also have been speculation), that Sony pays developers a fixed price to get a game on Plus.

Perhaps it's different from game to game also.

AndyD

aka andydumi

I've read some time ago (but may also have been speculation), that Sony pays developers a fixed price to get a game on Plus.

A dev on here mentioned it at some point. It may be different for new games released straight to Plus vs. old games whose sales are virtually dead, and also different from game to game for sure.

Teletraan1

Banned
Played Tropico for a few hours yesterday. Has a few hitches here and there, nothing too severe and makes my PS4 absolutely go into hair dryer mode. I have the game on PC and it does the same to my older 670. The controls I actually prefer to using a M/KB for some nice comfy couch island building. The controller scheme on PC was garbage back when I tried it and I am glad some work was put into it for the console version.

So yeah this game is pretty good and a far shot from the hyperbole ridden posts in this thread calling the PSN+ offerings garbage or shovelware or whatever.

Shaneus

Played Tropico for a few hours yesterday. Has a few hitches here and there, nothing too severe and makes my PS4 absolutely go into hair dryer mode. I have the game on PC and it does the same to my older 670. The controls I actually prefer to using a M/KB for some nice comfy couch island building. The controller scheme on PC was garbage back when I tried it and I am glad some work was put into it for the console version.

So yeah this game is pretty good and a far shot from the hyperbole ridden posts in this thread calling the PSN+ offerings garbage or shovelware or whatever.
Can you KBM on PS4?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah, this is the first month I consider truly bad.
Will give Tropico 5 a shot though.

Really?! Tropico 5 is fantastic. I'm not saying you don't have a right to your opinion, but damn there are some true garbage tier months in the past year or so.

I love the TROPICO franchise and 5 is no exception. It feels really good on PS4 gameplay wise. My only complaint is the framerate. It would be better with a 30 fps cap than the jumpy-as-hell framerate it has.

ZangBa

Gave all the PS4 games a shot and didn't really like any of them. I don't like the tutorial in Tropico, and I don't like how advancing eras forced me to change to a completely different map with all my structures gone, that sucks for real.

LakeEarth

Gave all the PS4 games a shot and didn't really like any of them. I don't like the tutorial in Tropico, and I don't like how advancing eras forced me to change to a completely different map with all my structures gone, that sucks for real.

I don't like when builder games do that. I just want a big land mass to build and grow until I fuck up and make it unsustainable.

For Roller Coaster Tycoon I used a trainer so I could unlock "Mega Park" asap, and just build whatever I want. On a side note, that game cannot handle a park at that size. Guests start complaining that they can't find the exit because the walk from one corner to the exit is so long. And since they want to leave, they won't hop onto the transit rides I designed specifically to get you to the exit.

whoszed

You know it's bad when you'd rather have Watch_doges over this month's lineup now that I learned about those rumors.

Tried Table Top Racing and holy crap was I underwhelmed, and I am in no way opposed to kart racers. The driving just doesn't feel satisfying in any way, and given how boring the handling of the cars is, I would have hoped for an actual drifting system.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Are all the tracks in TTR so tiny? I finished the first circuit or whatever they call it and the tracks take less than a minute to lap them.

Looking forward to playing Tropico finally and TTR has kept me entertained for a good portion of the afternoon. Was actually planning on picking TTR up because was curious what the devs who found Playrise after SL were up to. Kinda glad I didn't pay for the game; it's pretty basic.

Catvoca

Banned
TTR gets a little better when you get to the second tier of cars. They control a lot better at least. It's still not a great game.

I think that's only for the first campaign mission. I advanced to the second era and stayed there a while on the second mission.

I'm guessing you can play through them all on the same map in sandbox mode.

I'm having a lot of fun with the game!

Koh

I played through the tutorials on tropico, did everything it talked about and then lost the election... I got a game over in the tutorial lol.

I couldn't seem to get my popularity to move at all. Housing, taverns, healthcare, churches built it all and still had 37% approval going into the election.

I'll revisit after I've had my fill of alienation.

BumRush

I think that's only for the first campaign mission. I advanced to the second era and stayed there a while on the second mission.

I'm guessing you can play through them all on the same map in sandbox mode.

I'm having a lot of fun with the game!

Yep, Sandbox allows you to stay on the same map. Which is awesome.

GodofWine

Yep, Sandbox allows you to stay on the same map. Which is awesome.

Does Sandbox have the same 'stuff' that happens, I assumed it was just a free building mode with no restrictions..do you still need to deal with people / economy / out side threats etc??

BumRush

Does Sandbox have the same 'stuff' that happens, I assumed it was just a free building mode with no restrictions..do you still need to deal with people / economy / out side threats etc??

Yes, but it lets you set a lot of the parameters (how much money you have - can be set to infinite, what it takes to win, disasters on/off, etc.), and difficulty. You still have to advance your civilization to unlock the next tier of shit

GoaThief

TTR gets a little better when you get to the second tier of cars. They control a lot better at least. It's still not a great game.
Not, it's not a great game but it's good and could potentially become very good with some changes tweaking here and there plus a patch to fix bugs;

https://youtu.be/vqQPrabUtm4

Single player is a bit uninspiring but multi-player is where it really shines. So much fun, especially with microphones and a good group of people.

You will be returning to your previous islands in future campaign missions, so better not leave the island in tatters when heading off to the next mission. You will be back and you will be fracked... :p

OnPoint

It could be different from dev to dev, but I can tell you in our experience, we were paid a lump sum to be on the service.

barit

Tropic 5 is great! Everyone who says otherwise should feel ashamed.

And Table Top Racing despite its simpleness is pretty funny too.

Good month overall I say

Ted

Played a lot of TTR and Tropico 5 this month. Both are pretty good.

Tropico 5 is totally worth your time if you like the idea of a city/god sim but don't want to deal with too many interacting variables. It's not easy/simple per se but you don't need to have a wiki open to understand how it all works and you can brute force most things if you really need. The sandbox stuff is all pretty fun but the campaign (which I usually ignore in games like this) is good and challenging as well.

I must have a good 20+ hours into it so far and I'm not sure I am even half way through (where I'm at spoiler:
I've just developed nuclear weapons and the next mission is called "Day 0"
).

TTR misses a couple of key things for this type of game (local multiplayer) but the foundations are sound. Single player is OK (a few out of place difficulty spikes in the Special Events) and online multiplayer is silly hectic fun. Tracks aren't bad but could do with some more bums and jumps and maybe some more personality to make them stand out from one another. There are a few bugs here and there (mostly I've seen them in MP) but nothing that can't be worked around or laughed off.

Frankly, any game that contains a pseudo Rusty Slammington CSL is A-OK in my book.

Absolutely love Tropico 5 and have done all the campaign missions and stuff now so looking at the DLC for it but some of it seems a bit pricey at £15. Have to agree with others when saying doing the missions never leave your island in a mess when you move onto the next one as you will be screwed when you come back to it.

DrFurbs

I played through the tutorials on tropico, did everything it talked about and then lost the election... I got a game over in the tutorial lol.

I couldn't seem to get my popularity to move at all. Housing, taverns, healthcare, churches built it all and still had 37% approval going into the election.

I'll revisit after I've had my fill of alienation.

I actually loled in a bar reading that. Thanks for the laughs

Top Bottom