• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN game sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLDIER

DarkUSS said:
Tell the people with whom you had shared in the first place to deactivate your account. Each account can be shared with up to 5 different PS3 users.

So it wouldn't work if I logged into their account that they shared with me, and deactivated it from there? They have to deactivate me from their own system?

Erebus

SOLDIER said:
So it wouldn't work if I logged into their account that they shared with me, and deactivated it from there? They have to deactivate me from their own system?
If you do what you said, you are gonna merely free up a slot on their account and render useless all the games which are downloaded from that account. In other words, the only way to free up slots on your own account is to ask them to deactivate you from their consoles.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
DarkUSS said:
Just by deactivating. Deletion is irrelevant since even if you keep the game files, you won't be able to run the game.

That a good thing to know, but by doing so the deactivated PS3 will lose all licenses to the other downloaded games, right?

Erebus

Jinfash said:
That a good thing to know, but by doing so the deactivated PS3 will lose all licenses to the other downloaded games, right?
It will lose the licenses to the games that are downloaded from the deactivated account.

For example, if I had shared my account with you and then asked you to deactivate it for some reason, afterwards you wouldn't be able to play the games downloaded from my account. Of course, this would leave the rest of your games unaffected.

Miburou

Think of it like this: your PSN account info is stored on a Sony server. This info includes your ID, password, address, credit card info (if you've chosen to have it saved), trophies, friends list, etc. and it also has a list of PS3s in which your account is activated (serial # of the machines, most likely).

So when you log-on with a PSN account on a PS3 and go to account management and choose to deactivate, that machine's serial number is removed from the list, and when you activate, that machine is added. If you already have 5 machines activated on your account, then PSN will refuse to activate any more machines. That's the reason why deleting an account from a PS3 won't deactivate it, since as far as PSN is concerned that machine is still activated on your account.

The XMB is setup so that purchased games can only be played if the account that bought them is both present on the machine AND active, and you can only activate and deactivate a machine for a particular account from that specific PS3. How else could you do that?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
DarkUSS said:
It will lose the licenses to the games that are downloaded from the deactivated account.

For example, if I had shared my account with you and then asked you to deactivate it for some reason, afterwards you wouldn't be able to play the games downloaded from my account. Of course, this would leave the rest of your games unaffected.

Ohhhh, I get to choose which account I can deactivate? That's way better. I'm gonna check these options now. Thanks for the tips man.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Um, the only options I get from the activation menus are "Activate/Deactivate". Assuming that I have content downloaded from different accounts there's no way of choosing which account I can deactivate; I'll lose all the licenses... unless there's something I'm not getting.

netguy503

Miburou said:
Think of it like this: your PSN account info is stored on a Sony server. This info includes your ID, password, address, credit card info (if you've chosen to have it saved), trophies, friends list, etc. and it also has a list of PS3s in which your account is activated (serial # of the machines, most likely).

So when you log-on with a PSN account on a PS3 and go to account management and choose to deactivate, that machine's serial number is removed from the list, and when you activate, that machine is added. If you already have 5 machines activated on your account, then PSN will refuse to activate any more machines. That's the reason why deleting an account from a PS3 won't deactivate it, since as far as PSN is concerned that machine is still activated on your account.

The XMB is setup so that purchased games can only be played if the account that bought them is both present on the machine AND active, and you can only activate and deactivate a machine for a particular account from that specific PS3. How else could you do that?

I've never seen an option where I can deactivate accounts. I always thought I needed to go on someone else account and deactivate manually. PLEASE tell me exactly how to do this. I would LOVE that info. Especially since when I started trading I was stupid and have at least two slots where I forget who I exactly traded with. Thank you. :)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
umm, log-in under the user it was downloaded under. activate/deactivate. Chances are though, those accounts' passwords have been changed.

netguy503

DEO3 said:
GT5:p = $29.99
Wipeout HD + Fury = $29.98

I meant that's a dumb trade because again you are only wanting to trade an item for an item, wasting one of 4 share slots, and thinking about the small instead of the big picture of what you can get from sharing. I knew that the prices of the items matched.

netguy503

alr1ghtstart said:
umm, log-in under the user it was downloaded under. activate/deactivate. Chances are though, those accounts' passwords have been changed.

See, that's what I thought. But I think that the poster I responded to (and someone responded to him probably thinking the same thing) said that you can deactivate people who are sharing your account from your own personal ps3. This would help ALOT.

Erebus

Jinfash said:
Um, the only options I get from the activation menus are "Activate/Deactivate". Assuming that I have content downloaded from different accounts there's no way of choosing which account I can deactivate; I'll lose all the licenses... unless there's something I'm not getting.
Again for reference, let's assume that on your PS3 there are two accounts right now, your own "Jinfash" and mine "DarkUSS".

If you want to deactivate my account, you must be signed in under the "DarkUSS" account. By doing this, whatever games you had downloaded from me will no longer work. However, the games you have probably purchased under your own "Jinfash" account will still run.

netguy503

DarkUSS said:
Again for reference, let's assume that on your PS3 there are two accounts right now, your own "Jinfash" and mine "DarkUSS".

If you want to deactivate my account, you must be signed in under the "DarkUSS" account. By doing this, whatever games you had downloaded from me will no longer work. However, the games you had probably purchased under your own "Jinfash" account will still run.

That's what I thought. :/ Why isn't there a fature where you can deactivate accounts that are tied to your account FROM your account. That is lame. :/

Erebus

netguy503 said:
That's what I thought. :/ Why isn't there a fature where you can deactivate accounts that are tied to your account FROM your account. That is lame. :/
Because PSN accounts can be shared equally with up to 5 systems. Every single activated slot of an account has the same privileges and rights.

Miburou

Er, did I confuse people instead of clearing things up? I'm saying Sony has a list of PS3s that are activated for each account, for tracking purposes, not that they give you access to that list and allow you to modify it manually. I just mentioned that to try to make it clear to people how activations and deactivations are kept track of.

How do do you propose to deactivated someone else's PS3 from your own PS3? And why would PSN give one machine the authority to deactivate other machines from an account? You realize that this basically would mean that anyone you share with can change your password AND deactivate your machine, rendering all your bought stuff useless?

RotBot

netguy503 said:
PSN does not have a way to know which system is the master system for an account. If they let you deactivate other systems, then a person you share your account with can deactivate your system as easily as you can deactivate his. I actually wound't mind this, because I trust the people I share with enough not to do that. I lost an activation because one of the PS3s I was sharing to broke, so there's no way to deactivate it locally.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
So.. when you give someone your info, your account is forever linked into their PS3? What is to stop them from downloading EVERYTHING you've ever downloaded? And what about future purchases? Does this allow them to also download that? But they basically can't actually log onto your account because you've changed the password back?

Also, are PSone games shareable?

Bumblebeetuna said:
So.. when you give someone your info, your account is forever linked into their PS3? What is to stop them from downloading EVERYTHING you've ever downloaded? And what about future purchases? Does this allow them to also download that? But they basically can't actually log onto your account because you've changed the password back?

yes you change your password after the share but when you do the exchange NOTHING is stopping them from downloading everything on your account...

Erebus

Bumblebeetuna said:

Yes, the only way to prevent them from logging again in your account is to change the password and/or email.

PS1 games are shareable.

Erebus

Bumblebeetuna said:
Even future purchases? I guess its not a big deal since you'd need to trust whoever you're sharing with anyway.
They can't get their hands on future purchases if you change the password.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
DarkUSS said:

If you want to deactivate my account, you must be signed in under the "DarkUSS" account. By doing this, whatever games you had downloaded from me will no longer work. However, the games you have probably purchased under your own "Jinfash" account will still run.

D'OH

That makes sense, again, thanks for the tip.

Miburou

What difference does it make to you whether someone you've shared your account with downloads one of your games or all of them? If you share your account with someone, then you should think of it as sharing every game you've bought and will buy (although as mentioned if you change your password they won't be able to download anything in the future).

Regarding PS1 games, they're the same way, except every time you want to to transfer them to a PSP, you need to log-on with the shared account, meaning if the person who shared their account with you changes their password, you're screwed. Even worse is that the PSP can only be activated on one account (whereas the PS3 can be activated on multiple accounts; mine's on 6), meaning you'll be switching between activations.

Miburou

Actually I wouldn't mind if Sony would let users deactivate remote machines from their account. It would make it easier to deactivate an account on a broken PS3, and it would force people to only share their account with people they trust, or those they can access physically (so they can enter the password themselve and choose not to have it saved on the machine). Of course there's still the issue with how to identify which machine is which. Maybe note down the serial #s of the machines you're account is shared on.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Miburou said:
Actually I wouldn't mind if Sony would let users deactivate remote machines from their account. It would make it easier to deactivate an account on a broken PS3, and it would force people to only share their account with people they trust, or those they can access physically (so they can enter the password themselve and choose not to have it saved on the machine). Of course there's still the issue with how to identify which machine is which. Maybe note down the serial #s of the machines you're account is shared on.

Its a bad idea. If someone steals your login, or you share, then they can deactivate you and lock you out.

If it breaks, call Sony with the serial # and they will remove it. If it goes to service, it it automatically removed from the list for all accounts. So its not hard to remove a broken PS3.

KiNeSiS

Banned
I'm looking for more of a long term trading partner.
I expect us both to cary weight on purchases if anyone is down....

I have as of now

MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2!!!!
Bionic Commando ReArmed
Gunstar Heroes
Ragdoll Kungfu
Pain
Linger In Shadows

PSX- Castlevania Chronicles

S V R 09 Roster Expansion Pack 1 (Evan Bourne, Ted Dibase Jr., Charlie Has, Alt Attires)
Pain DLC
Dead Space Obsidian Suit Dlc
Some Other DLC that I can't recall for a couple of disc games....

their might be some things that have slipped my mind on there....

&

On another account

FF7
Bomberman Ultra
Bowling
Poker
a couple others

Want

Fat Princess!
Fire Pro G (Psx JP) Someone Out There Have It?
SFA2
KOF 99
Metal Gear Solid
Twisted Metal 2
World @ War DLC
MGS4 DLC
Killzone DLC
Warhawk DLC
SF4 DLC

Erebus

What I have:

Siren (all episodes)
PAIN
Tekken DR Online
Mortal Kombat II
Bionic Commando Rearmed
RagDoll Kung Fu
Everyday Shooter
Stardust HD
PixelJunk Monsters
Astro Tripper
Locoroco
Crash Bandicoot 3

I'm interested in:

Battlefield
Worms
Lumines Supernova
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Resident Evil Director's Cut (PSX)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
For the umpteenth time I'm gonna ask about system activation: The way some of you have put it, I don't actually get 5 downloads per purchase but rather 5 activations per account; meaning that if I chose to activate my "Jinfash" account on 5 different PS3s, that's it, those are the only PS3 I can share my downloads with unless someone deactivates. Did I get it right? or is it the possibility of 5 shares with 5 new people per download?

I haven't started sharing, so I'm a bit new to this whole thing.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Jinfash said:
For the umpteenth time I'm gonna ask about system activation: The way some of you have put it, I don't actually get 5 downloads per purchase but rather 5 activations per account; meaning that if I chose to activate my "Jinfash" account on 5 different PS3s, that's it, those are the only PS3 I can share my downloads with unless someone deactivates. Did I get it right? or is it the possibility of 5 shares with 5 new people per download?

I haven't started sharing, so I'm a bit new to this whole thing.

Correct though somehow I have my PSN account on two of my PS3s, two PSPs, and 3 other PS3s.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Your PSN account can be used on 5 PS3s.

1. You
2. Partner 1
3. Partner 2
4. Partner 3
5. Partner 4

You are not sharing games, you're sharing accounts. However some games don't have an activation limit, so those will work on more than 5 PS3s.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
OMFG if that's true then I'm not sharing shit with you people! THIS THREAD IS EVIL!

... Seriously though, thanks for the clarification. I have my account activated on 3 accounts already, I'll disable one and start keeping tabs.

netguy503

Jinfash said:
OMFG if that's true then I'm not sharing shit with you people! THIS THREAD IS EVIL!

... Seriously though, thanks for the clarification. I have my account activated on 3 accounts already, I'll disable one and start keeping tabs.

huh?

well I did hear that my friend, the one I share with, recently gave his password to a person he barely knew and then that guy gave it out to two other people. Taking up three out of four left activations right there. That's EVIL! Only share with good friends guys.

xaosslug

i have:

Crash Commando
Trash Panic
FF7
R&C: Quest for Booty
Marvel vs. Capcom 2

and badly want:

Fat Princess
PixelJunk Monsters
Patapon 2
Siren (all episodes)
Shatter

netguy503

xaosslug said:
hey, I was wondering if it's OK to gameshare content between a European and US account? Does it matter?

some DLC/games ARE region locked so I don't know if you're going to be able to share (hence, why we have several different PlayStation store and not one big universal one). Sorry.

And even if you do share my same rule applies: only share with someone you know and only share/let them be tied forever to your account if it will be for continual sharing and not only just for a "wam, bam, thank u mam" quickie.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Have:

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Metal Gear Solid
Punisher: No Mercy (Won it from Teanahs blog okay)
PixelJunk Monsters
Piyotama
Linger in Shadows

Want:

Noby Noby Boy

Obviously feel free to download all my PSN games seeing it doesn't matter since my PSN Account is on your PS3 and vise versa.

RotBot

netguy503 said:
some DLC/games ARE region locked so I don't know if you're going to be able to share (hence, why we have several different PlayStation store and not one big universal one). Sorry.

DLC for one region might not work the game from another and multiplayer might be restricted to regional matchmaking in some instances, but I haven't heard of any disc or PSN game for PS3 that's region locked.

Have:

LBP Metal Gear Level Kit
Linger In Shadows
Wipeout HD
Pain
Rachet QFB
Bionic Commando
High Stakes Poker
PJ Monsters
Super Stardust HD
Deadspace Obsidian Suit

Want:

Wipeout DLC
Shatter
PJ Shooter
Soldner X
Everyday Shooter
Crash Commando
Novastrike
Burnout Paradise and DLC
Burn Zombie
Flower
Zen Pinball
Einhander

Starting new PSN account (still keeping original since that is for family and friends) but looking for long term share partner.

$20 every two weeks, and not sure how you want to do this, but person who pays lets other choose for two weeks and vice versa. Do not keep CC information saved in account.

Thanks.

Somebody?
2m34s3t.gif

Have:
WipeOut HD
Super Stardust HD
Super Street Fighter II HD Remix
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Pixeljunk Eden
Bionic Commando: Rearmed

Looking for:

Flower
Shatter
Ratchet & Clank
Fat Princess
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Lumines Supernova
Worms

Einhänder
Rayman
The Adventure of Little Ralph

Has anyone any experience with sharing full psp games.

Here's my situation:

I'm interested in buying a second psp (maybe go, maybe a 2000 or a 3000 if i can still find one) because my wife really likes to game too.
We're very interested in playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite together, and this game happens to be available as a download.

I know it's possible to get the game running on 2 psp's as they both will have the same account.
But is it possible to have multiplayer sessions when the psp's have the same psn account on them?
I can't seem to find any information on this.

So summarized:

Can my wife and I play MHFU together when we down it on one account from psn?

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Have:

Medal of Honor (PSone)
Destruction Derby (PSone)
Shatter
Rag Doll Kung Fu
Trash Panic
KZ2 MP1 (Steel & Titanium)

Want:
Fat Princess
Crash Commando
Noby Noby Boy
R&C

nu_horizons

Neo Member
I have:

- Wipeout HD + Fury Add-on
- Metal Gear Solid (PSone classic)
- Shatter
- Astro Tripper
- Pixeljunk Eden + Encore
- Rag Doll Kung Fu
- FLOCK!
- Lumines Supernova + Classic pack Add-on
- Magic Ball
- Burnout Paradise + Party Add-on + Legendary Cars Add-on
- Medievil (PSone classic)
- Crash Bandicoot 3 (Psone classic)
- Super Stardust HD + add-ons
- Pixeljunk Racers
- Super Rub a Dub
- Some LBP costumes, packs, MGS level kit

I'm looking for:

- Battle Tanks
- Bejeweled 2
- Marvel vs Capcom 2
- Pixeljunk Monsters + Encore
- Smash Cars
- TV Show King

shinshero

I am from the EU.

I have:

Crash Commandoes
Warhawk (+ All expansions ~ I think)
Super Stardust HD (+ Expansion)

Rag Doll Kung Fu ~ US

I want:

Marvel VS Capcom 2
Fury Pack (WipEout HD)
Fat Princess ~ BADLY!
Noby Noby Boy
Battlefield 1943
~ Kind of.

dork

Banned
Wish i could get fat princess :(

my old 60 gig was attached to my buddies account and then it broke and got back my new one and its saying his is full and he cant remove the previous 60

bigcheese

Have:
Castlevania: SOTN
Super Stardust HD
Everyday Shooter
Crash Bandicoot
Twisted Metal 2
echochrome
Calling all Cars
Pixeljunk Eden
Rag Doll Kung Fu
Shatter
KZ2 maps
bunch of Rock Band songs (not sure if these are shareable)

Want:
Fat Princess

btkadams

is there some sort of list of all the games that don't let you share users? i'd really like to know and gaf search isn't working properly for me. thanks for any help.

djblackice said:
Starting new PSN account (still keeping original since that is for family and friends) but looking for long term share partner.

$20 every two weeks, and not sure how you want to do this, but person who pays lets other choose for two weeks and vice versa. Do not keep CC information saved in account.

Thanks.

Be sure to find 4 good traders. I did this and I got 3 good traders, but the 4th didn't do much of anything. Never would buy anything, basically spent $10 when the rest of us spent like over $40. He is basically leaching all of our games now cause we cannot kick him out or anything.

I guess getting 3 out of 4 good traders isn't bad. I would just rather kick the other guy out and have a 4th good one. I guess the only thing you could do is buy him out or whatever and ask him to deactivate.

However, you can never tell if the other person DOES deactivate unless you start trying to activate the account on another system and it actually works, right? (assuming you have used up all 5 slots).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom