• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSO2 PS4 Beta Details, Service Start Date Announced (Japan only)

kaioshade

Last time I tried the JP version, a lot of dialogue was not translated. Had menus and items that's it. Most of the game felt cut off.

Synth

Last time I tried the JP version, a lot of dialogue was not translated. Had menus and items that's it. Most of the game felt cut off.

Yea I played the Japanese version for a bit (but this was before there was really any decent translation at all). There's also the issue of community. Nobody that I tend to play games online with is willing to jump through hoops to play it, but would try out a localized version were one available. I also prefer to be able to actually speak to most people I encounter online and not feel out of place jumping into a random party.

Even if a localised one started from year 1, I'd still be more likely to play that version.

As someone who LOVED PSO, PSO2 just isn't a good game.

Further proof that opinions can in fact be completely wrong.

PSO2 is an amazing game that features one of the most fair F2P systems in the industry. Even things like costumes where I presume they make most of their money are purchasable with meseta.

PSO was one of the biggest things that ever happened to me in my life, right after my son being born. ^^

Importing episode 2 and communicating with JP users solely through broken ass romanji and symbol chat is one of the reasons I learned Japanese and the overall design of the game (still one of my favorite experiences in gaming) is easily one of the things that inspired me to join the game industry.

It really sucks that they will never bring it West. Hell, I even tried to get in contact with them through my last job but always got cold shoulder treatment.

MrDaravon

Yea I played the Japanese version for a bit (but this was before there was really any decent translation at all). There's also the issue of community. Nobody that I tend to play games online with is willing to jump through hoops to play it, but would try out a localized version were one available. I also prefer to be able to actually speak to most people I encounter online and not feel out of place jumping into a random party.

Even if a localised one started from year 1, I'd still be more likely to play that version.

Pretty much where I'm at. I still have a huge crew of friends I played PSO and PSU with back in the day. Almost none of them have gaming PCs (or even PCs at all in a few cases), and the few that do aren't jumping through hoops to play the JP version. I could probably get at least 10 people to play a PS4 version that are never going to play the JP PC version at the drop of a hat. It's clearly not happening at this point though, and even if it did I have zero faith in Sega to not have the western release be eons behind the JP version just like the previous games. It's dead Jim.

Sophia

i hope the beta or final game is not region locked

It shouldn't be. SEGA has never directly region locked the Japanese game nor have they prevented people with NA/EU PSN accounts connecting to the game with a Japanese Vita copy.

Ashtar

Please forgive my ignorance but is this significantly different from the DC game? That game was pretty basic so I can't imagine people are really pining for that....

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Please forgive my ignorance but is this significantly different from the DC game? That game was pretty basic so I can't imagine people are really pining for that....
It's a completely different thing.

It basically takes the core concept of the original game (Action RPG loot game) and builds upon it with some great character action elements. Jump/dash cancels, parries, etc.

I know a lot of people don't like Ranger, but I actually had a tone of fun playing as one in the PC Open beta.
The ability to switch to a TPS mode and aim freely is pretty fun on boss fights and such. I mained Ranger in PSO and it really did get dull as hell, especially when you got something OP like a Spread Needle.

It's a nice touch that you can do the same to pinpoint aim Force Techs as well.

Prophane33

Awesome. Gotta get a Beta ticket! Put a ton of time into the PC version, and around 10 hours into the Vita version before I put it down (through no fault of the game); now after watching the anime I'm totally ready to start playing this on PS4. Game is region free, so everyone can join in.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Signed up! Looking forward to getting back into PSO2.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Looks like the PS4 beta invites started going out. At least 2 people on my twitter timeline got theirs.

Still nothing here. : (

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
You already play on the vita, gimme your code if you get one (._. )
I don't play the Vita version unless I really have to, it's not really a great port.
Plus taking part in the beta gives you items for your main account. :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just checked my email. Looks like I got in! Sweeeet!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Added the beta schedule to the OP. Looks like more than enough time to reach level 30 or whatever is required for the highest tier of bonus items.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
All invites have been sent. If you didn't get one, you're probably out of luck.

Yay, I got in~ guess I have to plug the PS4 in now. Did you get in?

Well, not now-now, since I'm away from home until Sunday. But still plenty of time until beta starts.

I wonder if they have remote play to Vita working already?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yay, I got in~ guess I have to plug the PS4 in now. Did you get in?

Well, not now-now, since I'm away from home until Sunday. But still plenty of time until beta starts.

I wonder if they have remote play to Vita working already?
I didn't get in, but got a code from someone. I still feel salty about not getting a key from Sega. :(

I didn't get in, but got a code from someone. I still feel salty about not getting a key from Sega. :(
Considering I am now four for four in PSO2 closed beta applications I'm wondering if there's a frequent players variable in the application process.

Prophane33

Got my invite. Played a bit on PC and more on Vita, but haven't touched it in awhile (been watching the anime though!); I think I'll stick with the PS4 version more.

DooMAGE

Some sshots I found.

PSO2-PS4-Beta.jpg

Cbj1_4hUYAA8gxK.jpg

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Considering I am now four for four in PSO2 closed beta applications I'm wondering if there's a frequent players variable in the application process.
I wonder. Most of my friends who got codes never played the game/stopped very early. You also don't even need a PSO2 account to apply, so I can't imagine it would've made a difference. :(

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Hmm looks okay but I'm on my phone. The sharpening is maybe a bit much but the brightness looks alright

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I don't mind how the characters in the creator look, I have a feeling that there's less bloom on them than in the TGS demo.

Still, I'm mostly interested in the PS4 version because of the influx of people and the PC version getting a new highest graphic settings, so if things get too bright I'll just change it in the options.

Jiraiza

Man, I remember grinding PSO2 so hard over the summer. Both a fun and unproductive summer that was.

Also found out a way to make a ton of money. No idea if it still works, though.

I'm debating whether to get some actual PSO2 in tonight or go to bed early and start on the PS4 beta before I have to get ready for work. #firstworldproblems

thetrin

It's a shame the servers are only up until 11 tonight. Because of work, I don't usually start playing until 10 or so.

Guess I'll have to start earlier to get some time in.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm debating whether to get some actual PSO2 in tonight or go to bed early and start on the PS4 beta before I have to get ready for work. #firstworldproblems
I just want to get to 30 asap, hopefully we'll get some fake AC to buy xp boosters etc.

I just want to get to 30 asap, hopefully we'll get some fake AC to buy xp boosters etc.

What time are you getting on? We never did manage to meet up before you left Ship02.

I hope the online connectivity isn't tied to the PSN account that received the invite code though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
What time are you getting on? We never did manage to meet up before you left Ship02.

I hope the online connectivity isn't tied to the PSN account that received the invite code though.
I'll probably be on around 8-9 pm JST. Still not sure which ship to choose though, since there are supposed to be 2 (?).

Epcott

Was just thinking about this game yesterday when I saw the anime on Hulu...

...and thought "Hey! It's finally released in the West!"
:D

:-/

Top Bottom