• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Punishment Punch Girl: New female protagonist has you beat up freaks!

The West continues to slowly make gains on the large mountain of inclusiveness in videogames. More often is consideration being given to how females and minorities are portrayed in games. Greater care is taken to not marginalize certain demographics. We're seeing more intricate emotional storylines in proportion to how much more popular games are becoming and their rising prominence as a legitimate storytelling device.

Mountain-Ascent.jpg

Meanwhile, in Japan:

tumblr_m3gvaaj9U61rt4lnro1_250.gif

The bottom picture looks like it would be more fun.

Also, female protagonists are nearly non-existent in Western games, so I'm not sure if serious.

These statements kind of makes you look worse if you look at what you quoted.

But I mean, if that is look you wanna keep go for it.

I'm not even sure why a thread about a silly tongue-in-cheek game for smartphones is the place to make blanket statements about how much better portrayals in Western games are regarding inclusiveness and content (and they still aren't much better off when, for example, you've still got devs at the behest of focus groups and publishers who squeal "female protag do not want!") but you have to admit the first picture looks boring while the second one actually looks like someone's having a good time.

The West continues to slowly make gains on the large mountain of inclusiveness in videogames. More often is consideration being given to how females and minorities are portrayed in games. Greater care is taken to not marginalize certain demographics. We're seeing more intricate emotional storylines in proportion to how much more popular games are becoming and their rising prominence as a legitimate storytelling device.

http://markiverson.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Mountain-Ascent.jpg[IMG]

Meanwhile, in Japan:

[IMG]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3gvaaj9U61rt4lnro1_250.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Variety is the spice of life. Japan does what the West won't do anymore thanks to overbearing PC bullshit and I applaud them for giving zero fucks.

Village

Variety is the spice of life. Japan does what the West won't do anymore thanks to overbearing PC bullshit and I applaud them for giving zero fucks.

Again, if you look at what you just said, in comparison to what you quoted.

You are indeed making yourself look bad. You essentially condemning a market for giving a shit about other people in the world.

But that is the look you wanna keep, because no one the web seems to actually know what PC is or what anti PC actually means.

I also as stated earlier, I don't even even think the original thing you quoted even applies to a game like this, because its a deadpool. Its knows what it is and its actively making fun it.

So bof yall wrong.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The time between 'stamina recharge' is quite long. I hate IAPs ahhhh just make your game cost money instead of being free.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
That skiing metaphor isn't even necessarily a critique of Japanese games. I was just illustrating what I perceived to be a funny trend lol

MogCakes

You are indeed making yourself look bad. You essentially condemning a market for giving a shit about other people in the world.

But that is the look you wanna keep, because no one the web seems to actually know what PC is or what anti PC actually means.

I also as stated earlier, I don't even even think the original thing you quoted even applies to a game like this, because its a deadpool. Its knows what it is and its actively making fun it.

So bof yall wrong.
You're taking this way too seriously.

Village

equal treatment in media tends to be serious business.

And then people saying that they are for being against that, lost in some delusion that they are fighting some mysterious form of censorship that does not exist, is even more serious business.

I'm just trying to figure out if they actually understand the argument they are presenting.

How do people criticizing this handle western stuff like monty python, robot chicken and archer?

Do you "lol western culture is so weird" ?

Cwarrior

Crafts & Meister what are you doing? C'mon Scamco, give them Super DBZ 2 already.

No way this by crafts and Meisters no way tell me it ain't so, they went from promising games like earth seeker to this....

This worst then matrix going from dq,ff remakes, 4 warriors of light and Avalon code to cash in one piece boob dance phone games.

MogCakes

And then people saying that they are for being against that, lost in some delusion that they are fighting some mysterious form of censorship that does not exist, is even more serious business.

I'm just trying to figure out if they actually understand they are argument they are presenting.

There's equal treatment, and then there's freedom of expression. A game like this clearly isn't supposed to be on the serious side of things.

Maybe you're just talking about the comparison made with the skier/mountain climbers because it incensed you. He's already said it wasn't a serious comparison and was for laughs, and there is an element of truth to it: Japan still knows how to make ridiculous games. If you interpret that to mean 'anyone who agrees with this is sexist and terrible people' then that's all you.

LordJim

I'm just trying to figure out if they actually understand the argument they are presenting.

Or people were mostly making fun of the silly analogy flawed in multiple levels and you are somehow interpreting it as 'SUPPORT OF NON EQUAL TREATMENT'.

Village

There's equal treatment, and then there's freedom of expression. A game like this clearly isn't supposed to be on the serious side of things.

Maybe you're just talking about the comparison made with the skier/mountain climbers because it incensed you. He's already said it wasn't a serious comparison and was for laughs, and there is an element of truth to it: Japan still knows how to make ridiculous games. If you interpret that to mean 'anyone who agrees with this is sexist and terrible people' then that's all you.

1) To the bolded, I agree, I actually already stated that. I even called this game a deadpool.

2) I was talking to the people who well.. if you actually read what I quoted up there.. because you didn't. So, i dont even know why you responded in the first place, because you don't even context. But back to my point if you read what I responded to it went something like this....

stuff like this

Yeah... eh...

Or people were mostly making fun of the silly analogy flawed in multiple levels and you are somehow interpreting it as 'SUPPORT OF NON EQUAL TREATMENT'.

Nah.

LordJim

Yes, he represents every other poster in the thread, clearly.
Like this game represents japanese game development.

As much 'equal representation and appeal is serious business' mode you are in, you should be able to make the distinction.

Village

Yes, he represents every other poster in the thread, clearly.
Like this game represents japanese game development.

As much 'equal representation and appeal is serious business' mode you are in, you should be able to make the distinction.

I never said anything like any of those things.

MogCakes

2) I was talking to the people who well.. if you actually read what I quoted up there.. because you didn't. So, i dont even know why you responded in the first place, because you don't even context. But back to my point if you read what I responded to it went something like this....

The context is this thread, which you seem to have ignored when writing up your posts towards the people who agreed with the analogy. I responded because I wanted to say something to you, you can re-read it again, it still applies. Stop trying to make this into an EQUALITY thread.

Village

The context is this thread, which you seem to have ignored when writing up your posts towards the people who agreed with the analogy. I responded because I wanted to say something to you, you can re-read it again, it still applies. Stop trying to make this into an EQUALITY thread.

The context is the posts, and it seems like you are still responding with out reading them. But its cool man, But why continue the argument if you aren't even going to read the posts.

Also I'm not trying to make this into an anything thread, I am responding to something, just like how you responded to me. You see how that works out.

I'm not interested at all in it, but it always brings a smile to see how Japan keeps being weird and different.

If it actually ends up being a good game, sign me up.

MogCakes

The context is the posts, and it seems like you are still responding with out reading them. But its cool man, But why continue the argument if you aren't even going to read the posts.

Also I'm not trying to make this into an anything thread, I am responding to something, just like how you responded to me. You see how that works out.

Yeah, you keep asserting that I haven't read anything and am just picking a fight with you just because. Your posts don't reflect that you're 'just responding' in the same vein as I was responding. You were pretty clearly trying to start something, I'm just pointing out that you're blowing things way out of proportion. I'm not the only one who sees this, I'm just the guy who decided to put up the effort typing it out.

P.S. The context for 'the posts' is this thread, like I said before and which everyone can see except, apparently, you.

Village

Yeah, you keep asserting that I haven't read anything and am just picking a fight with you just because.
eh I dunno if you did read them, you would understand I was just suggesting that they may wish to read take into account what they are actually responding to.

Your posts don't reflect that you're 'just responding' in the same vein as I was responding. You were pretty clearly trying to start something,
What are we 6 years old, when people say things we don't like now they are starting something. The "starting something" implication is something you put on that shit yourself, I got nothing to do with it.

I'm just pointing out that you're blowing things way out of proportion.

If you think so that is cool.
I'm not the only one who sees this, I'm just the guy who decided to put up the effort typing it out.
Does this make you feel special in some way?what was the need of this comment at all?

Riposte

Help, Village thinks I look bad.

I'm not interested at all in it, but it always brings a smile to see how Japan keeps being weird and different.

If it actually ends up being a good game, sign me up.

Well, it looks like mobile garbage in the video, so not likely. If it was an awesome action game with a quirky sense of humor, like, say, God Hand, I'd be there day one.

MogCakes

eh I dunno if you did read them, you would understand I was just suggesting that they may wish to read take into account what they are actually responding to.

What are we 6 years old, when people say things we don't like now they are starting something. The "starting something" implication is something you put on that shit yourself, I got nothing to do with it.

If you think so that is cool.

Does this make you feel special in some way?what was the need of this comment at all?
I said it because you're implying that I'm the only one interpreting your posts that way. Those guys know very well what they're saying and the meaning of those posts is not what you were accusing them of saying. That latter part is what I mean when I said you're trying to start something, deny it or not.

So bof yall wrong.

I mean come the fuck on.

Top Bottom