• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAINWAY announced: Third party eShop app for streaming PC games to your Switch

prag16

Banned
If you literally can't understand what I said that's your problem. The idea is very simple.
I think he understands. But is asserting that the idea is insanely idiotic. And I concur. It is absolutely batshit insane for very obvious reasons.

tsab

after Nintendo allowed Minecraft crossplay/crossdlc and a Microsoft logon on the Switch, I have more faith that this may come out "officially"

Robin64

^ His plan is to get an app out as it will be better, but that it will work in the browsers of consoles if that doesn't happen.

Chauzu

First test showing joycons working via browser:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Andrewmd5/status/880181289877372929/video/1

I'm still not 100% sold only because seems so strange to me Nintendo will not try to stop this in some way, but seems more real than ever.

Damn, can't help to get a little excited. If this ends up working via browser with good joycon support and proper streaming I'll be able to play some cool games I'd never get to play otherwise, like Nier Automata. Crossing my fingers!

Mivey

Damn, can't help to get a little excited. If this ends up working via browser with good joycon support and proper streaming I'll be able to play some cool games I'd never get to play otherwise, like Nier Automata. Crossing my fingers!
How so? You still need a PC to render the games on. Or are you suffering under a terrible fear of computer monitors, generally large screens and also touchscreen interfaces, so your only hope of playing games while overcoming your rather specific phobias is to stream them to a handheld device? Sounds rough, man.

Chauzu

How so? You still need a PC to render the games on. Or are you suffering under a terrible fear of computer monitors, generally large screens and also touchscreen interfaces, so your only hope of playing games while overcoming your rather specific phobias is to stream them to a handheld device? Sounds rough, man.

I prefer playing my games handheld mainly, nothing to make a big thing about. Don't see the need to get so upset, I'm just excited about the prospect on playing some games in my preferred way.

correojon

Same here; Nier, Furi and the Dark Souls trilogy are top spots on my list. However, I think Nintendo will eventually block it.

wrowa

We've always known that Rainway will work on anything with a modern browser, Switch included. That's nothing new and it was always clear that a browser based solution would be able to happen if Nintendo rejects the app.

However, the browser solution isn't what's exciting (in the sense of "What? Nintendo is allowing this?") about this. What's exciting is the dev teams insistence that Switch will get a native Rainway app that will be downloadable on the eShop.

However, him now showing off the browser-based solution does make it seem unlikely that an app will indeed happen. I doubt Nintendo wants official developers to demonstrate how you can get around the browser's restrictions (not to mention why he would work with the browser to begin with). At best this might be a sign that Nintendo plans to accept web apps on the eShop, I guess, buuuut I don't think so.

Kikorin

We've always known that Rainway will work on anything with a modern browser, Switch included. That's nothing new and it was always clear that a browser based solution would be able to happen if Nintendo rejects the app.

However, the browser solution isn't what's exciting (in the sense of "What? Nintendo is allowing this?") about this. What's exciting is the dev teams insistence that Switch will get a native Rainway app that will be downloadable on the eShop.

However, him now showing off the browser-based solution does make it seem unlikely that an app will indeed happen. I doubt Nintendo wants official developers to demonstrate how you can get around the browser's restrictions (not to mention why he would work with the browser to begin with). At best this might be a sign that Nintendo plans to accept web apps on the eShop, I guess, buuuut I don't think so.

Devs said Nintendo didn't rejected their app, anyway they still not said they have permission to put this on e-shop. Let's see what will happen, anyway a browser solution seems better than nothing.

TheMoon

I prefer playing my games handheld mainly, nothing to make a big thing about. Don't see the need to get so upset, I'm just excited about the prospect on playing some games in my preferred way.

I think Mivey was just hella confused since you said you'd "never get to play" these otherwise, like it's literally impossible now. But you could just as well play them right now since they'd still need to run on the same machine, only difference is you'd need a controller for your computer for similar convenience. I think that's all there was to it.

Chauzu

I think Mivey was just hella confused since you said you'd "never get to play" these otherwise, like it's literally impossible now. But you could just as well play them right now since they'd still need to run on the same machine, only difference is you'd need a controller for your computer for similar convenience. I think that's all there was to it.

Maybe! I just felt it was pretty hostile but no harm done. It's a personal choice ofc, and if it was a game I absolutely had to play, I would suck it up probably. I'll just rephrase and say I would be happy to try a few games I have overlooked because I prefer playing on a handheld!

Mivey

I was just taking what you said overly literal, and making a joke on it. How is that hostile? Well, I am sorry if you felt bad about it.

Can't speak for him/her, but I don't seem to have time to sit down and play on my PC.

Chauzu

I was just taking what you said overly literal, and making a joke on it. How is that hostile? Well, I am sorry if you felt bad about it.

If it was a joke then we are cool! No hard feelings. Internet can be hard sometimes.

patientx

DEOqxN4WAAADEg5.jpg

After seeing this, I want to play FTL, Hotline Miami , Audiosurf and of course Dark Souls everything on my switch :)

I'm still not 100% sold only because seems so strange to me Nintendo will not try to stop this in some way, but seems more real than ever.

why tho

I've been saying since day 1 that Nintendo has no reason to say no (which is why they haven't)

a streaming app that's dependent on a pc will not threaten their way of business whatsoever

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
why tho

I've been saying since day 1 that Nintendo has no reason to say no (which is why they haven't)

a streaming app that's dependent on a pc will not threaten their way of business whatsoever

Well, for the user that mainly plays in their home, there would be no reason to spend big money on Switch indie games. Not to mention that all of the big indies everyone is waiting for, would instantly be accessible. It would be a beautiful thing for consumers.

forrest

formerly nacire
I still can't see Nintendo being willing to cannibalize sales for cross platform titles (aka Skyrim), but I can certainly hope. I would pay a premium for an app like this on my Switch. That is if the performance gets optimized to an acceptable quality level.

DesiacX

I still can't see Nintendo being willing to cannibalize sales for cross platform titles (aka Skyrim), but I can certainly hope. I would pay a premium for an app like this on my Switch. That is if the performance gets optimized to an acceptable quality level.

That wouldn't cannibalize as much as your expecting. The amount of switch players who have a pc capable of running games, the games themselves, a really good network setup, and a desire to replay them by streaming (as opposed to natively, on either device) wouldn't be high enough to block the app, in my opinion.

yyr

why tho

Um, actually...

"Why is there still no Virtual Console on Switch?" >
"Oh, no problem. Check this out!" >
Earthbound running on Switch via Rainway.

Once Nintendo realizes this could be a thing, I see an approximately 0% chance of them allowing it.

forrest

formerly nacire
That wouldn't cannibalize as much as your expecting. The amount of switch players who have a pc capable of running games, the games themselves, a really good network setup, and a desire to replay them by streaming (as opposed to natively, on either device) wouldn't be high enough to block the app, in my opinion.

You may be right. I tend to live in this bubble where I just assume all gamers like myself, build their own pc's have solid networks and multiple consoles. :D

I would love to see it happen for sure. Still not sure it will even given the solid point you made.

Copper

Um, actually...

Once Nintendo realizes this could be a thing, I see an approximately 0% chance of them allowing it.

You say that like Nintendo actually keeps up with current times.

massoluk

Banned
Um, actually...

At that point, guys already have a copy on their PC running. I don't know, feels like Nintendo really have nothing to lose. If they really gonna play games illegally on the Switch via streaming, the requirement is they must already do it on the PC.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
why tho

$$$$$$$$

Nintendo wants you buying games on Switch, not streaming from other systems.

I give this app 0% chance of actually releasing on Switch.

Even when I see it, I still don't believe it.

There's little to see, and frankly what's there isn't believable because it isn't even what grabbed the attention in the first place seeing as buggy HTML based streaming solutions are a dime a dozen. 4 months later all we have is a workaround proof of concept despite this dev openly promising since day one to have a native eshop app. Again, has this guy given any indication that he's even got a dev kit, much less any working switch app code?

Necro900

https://twitter.com/Andrewmd5/status/880752196878520320

Ok, I know exactly how he plans to do it. Rainway will not require any app. Just change the DNS on our consoles to make the console browser redirect us to a web HTML5 app, and through scripts and so on, stream the game.

So the question is not how or if, but how good it's gonna be.

Starting an app via a workaround (since the switch doesn't have an "usable" web browser) seems a weird thing to require. I still hope this launches with an App.

Fingers crossed, this would make the switch an insanely good purchase. Not that I'm unhappy with it, but mine has been mostly dormant after finishing zelda, with some Cave Story sessions here and there (I don't care about mp-centered games like arms or S2, so..)

Also.. no more switch port begging.

https://twitter.com/Andrewmd5/status/880752196878520320

Ok, I know exactly how he plans to do it. Rainway will not require any app. Just change the DNS on our consoles to make the console browser redirect us to a web HTML5 app, and through scripts and so on, stream the game.

So the question is not how or if, but how good it's gonna be.

Of course it was never getting a real app from the e-shop. How could anyone think Nintendo would allow that.

Too bad, but it was crystal clear that it will only be a workaround.

Top Bottom