• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time - The Official Thread

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Rez said:
So I just fished Quest for Booty. It was my first RC game.

I really, really enjoyed the section on the island that was basically just running around an open environment completing platforming puzzles, but the combat stuff and glowing light stuff was terribly boring.

Is this game worth buying, given this?

I skipped most of the cutscenes, so keep that in mind.
One of my favorite games this gen, it has lots of optional stuff and gameplay variety.
A must have if you like platforming.

It has a very cool 'post game' bonus.

SykoTech

It's worth it. The combat is way more satisfying in A Crack in Time and there are none of those annoying "glow in the dark" sections. Plenty of exploration and platforming too. Much better platforming puzzles in ACiT as well (Clank gameplay).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That's really good to hear. I can't stress enough how much, for instance, I really hated the very beginning of QFB on the boat, I almost didn't play passed it even with my free download, but then I REALLY loved the island section. After that the caves sections and following island stuff was just ok, in my opinion. I was craving more of the platforming stuff. Although by the end of the game I was having fun with the nano-swarmers and predator missiles, it's just that there wasn't really any strategy needed, it was just point and shoot.

So if CIT can offer me more platforming and a more interesting combat "ramp-up", I'm so damn sold I'll buy it today.

NBtoaster

What didn't you like about the combat?

edit: nevermind I should have read more thoroughly

A large part of it is still "point and shoot", but there is more to it than in QFB. There are weapons where you can choose different firing modes for the situation (eg bouncing shots, burning shots etc). There are a lot more weapons, some not designed to hurt enemies, but distract them or stop their attacks. There's a fair bit more strategy involved.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think I started off trying to play it "wrong" with a strong melee focus and not realising I could stafe with L2 (I think that was it).

By the end of the game I had warmed up to it, but it still didn't feel like anything too memorable, you know? It was just kind of there. Shoot and walk and shoot and collect nuts and bolts.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Ha I actually just beat Quest For Booty and A Crack in Time back-to-back this past week. QfB is my least favorite Ratchet and Clank game (not counting Deadlocked or Secret Agent Clank) and ACiT is my favorite. While I also thought the glowing light stuff was boring, ACiT has much more combat, but it's also much more fun. The platforming puzzle parts with Clank are good in ACiT, but it's only a very small part of the game.

Corto

Rez said:
I think I started off trying to play it "wrong" with a strong melee focus and not realising I could stafe with L2 (I think that was it).

By the end of the game I had warmed up to it, but it still didn't feel like anything too memorable, you know? It was just kind of there. Shoot and walk and shoot and collect nuts and bolts.

Crack in Time is just great. The ability to customize your weapons and thus change the way you fight, the time manipulation, the crazy weapons, the great platforming, the fun spaceship fighting, though rather simplified, the whole package makes a great game. I'm sure you'll have fun with this one. You even have a fighting arena in-game where I predict you will spend hours and hours just experimenting with different weapons and try to progress through the challenges.

Rez said:
That's really good to hear. I can't stress enough how much, for instance, I really hated the very beginning of QFB on the boat, I almost didn't play passed it even with my free download, but then I REALLY loved the island section. After that the caves sections and following island stuff was just ok, in my opinion. I was craving more of the platforming stuff. Although by the end of the game I was having fun with the nano-swarmers and predator missiles, it's just that there wasn't really any strategy needed, it was just point and shoot.

So if CIT can offer me more platforming and a more interesting combat "ramp-up", I'm so damn sold I'll buy it today.

Ratchet has always been a shooter first and platforming second. don't let the cartoon character fool you. platforming is very simple in all games. no precise platforming like Sly or Jak is needed in Ratchet. the jumping you do is more often about dodging enemy bullet than challenging platformer

Chris R

Do the gun upgrades actually do anything? I just started playing and have 2 mods for the main gun, blast and beam. Purely cosmetic or do they actually make the gun different?

Also, first R&C game for me, Zirkon kicks ass and the game is so fun, even with some camera issues.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
rhfb said:
Do the gun upgrades actually do anything? I just started playing and have 2 mods for the main gun, blast and beam. Purely cosmetic or do they actually make the gun different?

Also, first R&C game for me, Zirkon kicks ass and the game is so fun, even with some camera issues.
Yup they change the weapon functionality.
Pretty neat feature if you ask me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just ordered this game the other day with Shadows of the Damned. It'll make an interesting double act.

I got this cheap as chips during the PSN outage and thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. Liked it enough to look forward to the next installment coming out later this year.

Tuck

I actually didn't enjoy this game, which surprised me because I was such a Ratchet fan. The Clank sections were fun, but the Ratchet sections seemed so uninspired and generic. Even the graphics in some areas seemed to lack the polish of past games (One forest area in particular springs to mind). And the space area was a huge let down.

As for the story... The new character they added was flat out awful. Annoying and unlikable. What happened to the girl from the first two? They just dropped her. I hate when characters get dropped for no reason. Rather than making it a really cohesive trilogy, they sort of just went as they go, which made the story seem very mish-mashy.

I never actually finished the game, though I came close. I got to a point where I needed to go and collect more Zoni, and just shrugged, said "Fuck you Insomniac" and put the game down. Had this been a year ago, this post would have been four times as long, probably with more swearing. But alas, I was not a member then, and now my memory has faded. I should go back and play it again. It has a good rep on GAF. I wish I could understand why.

I'm four hours in to this game and it's just not clicking at all. Everything feels so... I don't know, bland?

I hate the emphasis on space travel and landing on the moons. My favourite aspect of the R+C games has always been exploring these unique, expansive levels and discovering all of the secrets, hidden areas etc. With these moons that is all but gone, as in four hours I've only visited four planets and they all felt more linear with less to discover.

I quite like the Clank sections, but they're a bit too tutorial heavy at the moment.

At the moment I rank it as the worst game, without having played QfB.

SykoTech

You think this is MORE linear than previous Ratchet & Clank's? It was the exact opposite for me. Have you been to Krell Canyon?

SykoTech said:
You think this is MORE linear than previous Ratchet & Clank's? It was the exact opposite for me. Have you been to Krell Canyon?
Nah, I've just done the level where you do a lot of gliding with the boots to bring down barriers and then destroy the big robot which will destroy the city.

So, I haven't done many levels, but after four hours that's a problem. The moons/flying bits are so dull and it's been most of the game thus far.

Glad to hear the planets might get better, though!

I'm a lot further now and I'm enjoying it a bit more. There's too much flying, the moons are boring and the story/characters aren't half as entertaining as in previous games, but at least I'm visiting more proper planets and exploration is starting to become more important. The recording puzzles when playing as Clank are pretty cool, too, if a little bit simplistic after playing P.B. Winterbottom.

I'm still pretty disappointed though because I've heard lots of people reference this as the best R+C game.

Thrakier

Game is great but for the LIFE OF ME I can't get that f***** good samaritan trophy! There is one planet left green in korthus sector but I did every mission. There is nothing to do and the aptch didn't help!!

EDIT:

I even have the skill point for "Good Samaritan" -.-

So I've been playing this game (yeah I'm late) and last night at like 2 in the morning, I said I'm gonna give Overkill one last try. And I did, and I won.

I beat it as soon as that tournament opened up, so I had no Rhyno V, only the second best armor, and so on. When the War Grok came up, I only had enough health to last 1 hit, and I beat both him and the tank without getting touched once. It was truly the most satisfying thing I've done in a while, lol. Discovering that wasting ammo brings ammo boxes made it possible. I also didn't use clank at all. I figured if I lost I'll try again when I beat the game/get all the weapons, but wooooooooooo.

Just felt like saying that.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Thrakier said:
Game is great but for the LIFE OF ME I can't get that f***** good samaritan trophy! There is one planet left green in korthus sector but I did every mission. There is nothing to do and the aptch didn't help!!

EDIT:

I even have the skill point for "Good Samaritan" -.-
You need to talk to the Vollard on the one planet. He will give you a mission, then another mission will open on the Outpost. Unless you have already done the 4 billboard missions.

Sydle

Just finished the first planet and the space battle...does this get better?

I've played every entry in the series and perhaps that's why I'm not feeling it yet. It feels archaic, the style is so tired, and it was far too easy (started on normal). I've read that this is a favorite in the series for a lot of people, so I'm hoping it's just a slow start. If it's not better than Up Your Arsenal then I'm going to feel like I wasted my time (like I did with ToD).

UPDATE: I put a couple more hours on it and it's getting better. I like the space exploration and moon missions.

UPDATE 2: Loved it. Underwhelming start, but it filled out nicely. It's not my favorite in the series (UYA was just too amazing) but this is a close second, right up there with Going Commando.

Paco said:
Just finished the first planet and the space battle...does this get better?

I've played every entry in the series and perhaps that's why I'm not feeling it yet. It feels archaic, the style is so tired, and it was far too easy (started on normal). I've read that this is a favorite in the series for a lot of people, so I'm hoping it's just a slow start. If it's not better than Up Your Arsenal then I'm going to feel like I wasted my time (like I did with ToD).
Krell canyon is an amazing level. It gets much better. The time puzzles add challenge.
Play the moon missions. They add variety and longevity.

TripOpt55

Kind of random, but since this was bumped I figure why not. I got the Series 2 figures for this series the other day. They are quite nice. I do sort of wish there was a Talwyn. I wonder if there will be another series of figures.

Sydle

Just beat it.

It didn't top UYA for me, but it's definitely a fantastic entry in the series and feels like a great ending to the series' story line.

I hope that Insomniac reboots the series entirely. I can definitely seeing it becoming a Mario-like IP, but they need to try some new things with the game play, characters and universe.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Just finished Krell kanyon? Cant remember the name. and seriously Insomniac, if it wasn't for the god awful clank missions this would easily be one of the greatest games ever made. when I am playing as ratchet, this is gaming at its finest.

and playing this on my isf calibrated Panasonic gt30a, its one of the most incredible looking games, sub HD and all.

is Insomiac making any new ratchet games?

BY2K

Membero Americo
God damn it, I got confused because the NeoGAF Thread twitter informed me this thread was just made now.

And the Clank missions aren't that bad.

I'm four hours in to this game and it's just not clicking at all. Everything feels so... I don't know, bland?

I hate the emphasis on space travel and landing on the moons. My favourite aspect of the R+C games has always been exploring these unique, expansive levels and discovering all of the secrets, hidden areas etc. With these moons that is all but gone, as in four hours I've only visited four planets and they all felt more linear with less to discover.

This is exactly why I liked ToD so much more. The levels were too small in CiT.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Just finished this.

if it was not possible to skip the clank puzzles I would give this game a 3 out of 10, and I'm not even kidding. just horrible.

playing as ratchet however, is fantastic. I know its a love or hate it thing with the clank missions, but I found them awful, just fucking terrible.

GeoramA

I loved the Clank segments. Yeah, blowing shit up with Ratchet is a blast as usual, but I thought the time manipulation puzzles were very well done.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I loved the Clank segments. Yeah, blowing shit up with Ratchet is a blast as usual, but I thought the time manipulation puzzles were very well done.

Destroyed the pacing for me. just felt out of place and tedious. please tell me you can bypass them on challenge mode?

if not then im selling the game. have no desire to play it again if I have to do the clank puzzles again.

GeoramA

Pretty sure you have to. But it's been three years since I platinumed it, so I'm not 100% sure. I remember Challenge mode being a breeze, though

AAK

The puzzles are skippable, but you still have to play the clank parts to get to the cutscenes to complete the story...

But you're crazy if you do. Those are some of the most enjoyable puzzles I've ever completed in a videogame.

TEH-CJ

Banned
The puzzles are skippable, but you still have to play the clank parts to get to the cutscenes to complete the story...

But you're crazy if you do. Those are some of the most enjoyable puzzles I've ever completed in a videogame.

For someone that likes puzzles maybe , but I dislike puzzles. Puzzles should be left purely for a puzzle type game.

I never understood the gaming philosophy of puzzles making a game more enjoyable. I buy ratchet and clank games because you play as a Yellow lombax with guns twice the size of him, blowing shit up in the most awesome ways possible. I do not buy ratchet games to solve stupid puzzles.

It ruins the pacing completely and is just tedious. its the reason I hated the first half of uncharted 3.

But hey, thats just me. each to their own.

Top Bottom