• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time - The Official Thread

I had been checking on and off but I just noticed patch 1.20
HOORAY INSOMNIAC, this patch finally fixed the screwed up save a had.
I had first game killed when the save went corrupt after a massive glitch so I started over.
This time I beat the game and challenge mode up until Vorselon's ship but it would never load. Thanks for continuing to work on it, no to finish up

bill0527

I got this game last week for Father's Day and holy hell, what happened with this game?

I've played every R&C game and this is by far my least enjoyable. I'm probably an hour into it and I'm just clueless when it comes to these temporal recording puzzles. I've got a damn college degree and can't even understand what I'm supposed to be doing with these things. I'm about to the 4th one at the great clock and I've had to skip the previous two because I've got no clue. The hints don't seem to help much. When did this series go from comedy/blowing stuff up to a puzzle solver?

I know that there have been puzzles in previous ratchet games, but I've never had this level of frustration with them. I'm about to give up on the game because I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Record this, re-record that, record and play over your old self - your blue self, or maybe the green self, put the real clank here, send the blue one there, record the blue one but make sure you leave enough time for the green one to stomp on the button so that the real one can make it across the room.... WTF?

Oh well.. just scanning this thread, I guess I'm the only one who thinks this, but so far this game is a real dud for me.

Oh well.. just scanning this thread, I guess I'm the only one who thinks this, but so far this game is a real dud for me.

It is just you. I'd advise watching a couple youtube vids until you grasp how the puzzles work.

And speaking of the puzzles. Insomniac should release a downloadable Clank expansion featuring all new time puzzles.

W1SSY

In my experience playing the game, the Clank puzzle parts were amazing. Of course going through the game again to get the platinum made it not as fun because I knew the solutions but some of the later puzzles were a real challenge to get the timing right but at no point did they make me angry and just encouraged me to try to find new solutions.

Those puzzles drove my up the damn wall for so long. I am a very linear thinker and After the forth pad was added I would keep losing track in my mind of the progression of clanks and screw it up and have to start over. I'm glad I finally figured them all out but I skipped them all in the challenge play through. I got the platinum the other day as well. A great addition to the series; I liked it better than 'Tools'. I think I would have had enough of the series if the they hadn't added the space over world, but that really made a great new addition. I really hope we get one more Ratchet game this generation.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
And of course, we did make them totally skippable in case you can't get it to click. Once you do get that "click" moment, they go pretty easy.

I think they are a love/hate thing, though with a much larger group falling on the love side.

bill0527

BobTheFork said:
Those puzzles drove my up the damn wall for so long. I am a very linear thinker

Same here. That's probably why I have trouble figuring these puzzles out. I'm sure they are very simple for most people, but for those of us who have solving 3D puzzles, it can be a nightmare. My mind just doesn't process these types of things very well.

and After the forth pad was added

Oh shit. And I'm stumped on just two pads.

And of course, we did make them totally skippable in case you can't get it to click. Once you do get that "click" moment, they go pretty easy.

Yes, but there is a penalty for skipping them. I don't know how big of a penalty it is since I'm still early in the game. Also, it appears that I can't just walk right up to them and skip them? I have to at least attempt them or spend a certain amount of time on them before I can skip them? The puzzle I'm on right now hasn't given me the option to skip it, the box is grayed out and not selectable.

patsu

The Clank puzzles looked intimidating at first, but they could be solved incrementally after some trials and errors. At that time, my pre-schooler often urged me to play ACiT because he wanted to see the time puzzles.

What made me jump from my couch though was the Insomniac space. There was this mini-demo where I outfit 2 monster AI to fight other monsters. I thought Insomiac should apply this concept to Resistance 3 (Make Hale assimilate and control Chimera AI).

krae_man

The earlier ones were no trouble for me. The later ones that required some bots to do more then one thing took some thinking and Trial and error.

You can always just watch a Youtube video get the solution.

Dries

So I wanna try a R&C game on the PS3. Which one should I play (first)? And what are the differences between them?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dries said:
So I wanna try a R&C game on the PS3. Which one should I play (first)? And what are the differences between them?
I played Tools Of Destruction and A Crack in Time.

ACiT is a longer game than ToD, better writing,pacing,optional missions,bonus,etc.
ToD has better framerate and a better arsenal.

Fersis Official Pick : A Crack In Time.

MrPliskin

Banned
Dries said:

Well, Start with ToD. Tons of variety, good story, and it'll be a fun introduction. There are some great puzzles here, awesome environments, and fun weapons.

Then, you can play ACiT, which IMO is considerably better (though you'll miss a lot of references if you didn't play ToD). Both can be had for a relatively cheap price, and are definitely worth picking up.

Q4B( Quest for Booty) is a great little game, but you have to go into it NOT expecting a full length Ratchet game. It's about 3 to 4 hours long, is heavier on platforming than it is shooting (with a pinch of puzzle for good measure) but the Pirate themed story is fantastic.

I got this game from a friend last week. Finally rescued clank, so far the game is way better than ToD, I love the small planets & time puzzles. I think I'm pretty close to the ending, the story isn't very engaging but it's interesting.

AAK

If budget is a constraint, just go for ACiT. It is just leagues and leagues superior to the other PS3 entries and you honestly won't be missing out on much. The only thing that made me go WOW in ToD were the Groovitron and Mr. Zurkon... all of which is present in spades for ACiT.

aristotle

Dries said:
Thanks guys, I think I'll play both though. Did the same with the Uncharted series.

Personally I would add in Quest for Booty since it ties them both together (not to mention it's extremely fun).

KongRudi

Banned
bill0527 said:
Record this, re-record that, record and play over your old self - your blue self, or maybe the green self, put the real clank here, send the blue one there, record the blue one but make sure you leave enough time for the green one to stomp on the button so that the real one can make it across the room.... WTF?

It's been awhile since I played it, but it don't matter what colour they are.

It's just a reference for your own convenience, if you should record one of the images of yourself wrong length of time on a platform, to open up a route, it's pretty nice to be able to see wich 'yourself' you need to re-record staying longer/shorter in one place in order to keep the platform-route open for yourself.

I didn't think it would be fun at all, because I usually suck at these kind of things.
But it were pretty fun, once I got a hang of it. :)

Bought this as soon as it became available with the GH price, sans the awful GH packaging, and popped it in last night. I liked Tools of Destruction, but the game seemed to almost be going through the motions. Or maybe it was my frame of mind at the time, I dunno.

But imagine my surprise how instantly fun A Crack in Time was. I don't know what it was, it just seemed instantly gratifying and fun. I only put in about 90 minutes, but I'm already enjoying it more than the first.

AniHawk

A Crack in Time feels like a direct sequel to Going Commando even though the story's a direct sequel to Up Your Arsenal and Tools of Destruction (still need to buy this one).

-viper-

Banned
I'm just playing Crack in Time now and I'm extremely impressed. Insomniac's best game yet!

Classic R&C gameplay with a much improved mission structure. I love the additional side missions and space combat. It certainly adds some longevity to the game in addition to mixing things up. Clank's missions are also surprisingly good although extended puzzles tend to annoy me, such as the planet time fixing missions three times in a row.

I LOVE the writing and story. The characters and voice work is simply incredible. Cutscenes are a delight to watch. Probably one of the few games which intended humour that actually makes you laugh. It's genuinely funny. I actually think Ratchet and Clank would probably translate quite well to the big screen!

My only issue is that, the next game is not another R&C game - it's something different :p Not really sure how well the classic gameplay will translate to 4 players as well as the story and writing. Still, we'll see and I'm looking forward to the next game in the series.

I know a lot of people tend to dislike a continuous stream of sequels, but honestly, I can never get tired of Ratchet and Clank. I have owned every single game in the series (excluding the PSP versions) and I have loved them all, except Quest For Booty. Hated the mission structure of that game. Nonetheless, I'm a HUGE fan of the series and would hate to see an end to the production of Ratchet games. Here is hoping to many more years of R&C! :D

Consider how many Mario games nintendo has released; I honestly don't see why Insomniac can't do the same with R&C. It's the best action platforming game I have ever played. R&C is nothing but pure fun.

edit: I also like the difficulty. Although hard isn't particularly hard, when I play Ratchet and Clank, I'm not really looking for a challenge, I'm looking for FUN. Otherwise, I would be playing Killzone 2 on Elite all over again :p Only the boss battles can cause a little trouble. This is the way they should keep it. The ideas about making Ratchet a really deep game are simply ridiculous.

I know a lot of people tend to dislike a continuous stream of sequels, but honestly, I can never get tired of Ratchet and Clank. I have owned every single game in the series (excluding the PSP versions) and I have loved them all, except Quest For Booty. Hated the mission structure of that game. Nonetheless, I'm a HUGE fan of the series and would hate to see an end to the production of Ratchet games. Here is hoping to many more years of R&C!

You should check out Size Matters for psp. It's exactly like the console counterparts. Cool worlds, giant clank, and tons of unlockables. Secret Agent Clank on the other hand can be skipped.

Massa

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
You should check out Size Matters for psp. It's exactly like the console counterparts. Cool worlds, giant clank, and tons of unlockables. Secret Agent Clank on the other hand can be skipped.

I disagree, the awful camera and the uneven difficulty made that game a regrettable purchase for me.

Mesijs

Massa said:
I disagree, the awful camera and the uneven difficulty made that game a regrettable purchase for me.

It was FANTASTIC. True, managing the camera takes some time but it's really not broken, just not optimal.

Difficulty was only a real problem in the extra mode, in the game itself it was cool.

And indeed, great replayability, you could spend dozens of hours with the game upgrading weapons etc. Fantastic addition to the series!

AndyD

aka andydumi
DonMigs85 said:
The game is also fairly easy to plat IMO - for me the toughest trophy was for "My Blaster Runs Hot".

Only one I am missing. I tired watching videos, cant do it. And my wife is not good enough at it for us to coop it. I gave up and resigned I will never have that platinum.

Thrakier

I still don't get the good samariatn trophy. I got the Ryno however. Wasn't the patch supposed to fix that? I equip the Ryno but I don't get the trophy...

Goldrusher

You probably don't have everything for it.

Just visit each sector and check for green depots (vullard missions) or ships. Maybe you forgot a tow ? Or a billboard mission ? Or getting that piece of asteroid ?
Also: Samaritan skill point ≠ Samaritan trophy

Thrakier

I got the skill point so I probably did do all side missions, didn't I? There is a green spot on the radar, yes, but there is no mission on this planet...

Peff

Thrakier said:
I got the skill point so I probably did do all side missions, didn't I? There is a green spot on the radar, yes, but there is no mission on this planet...

Yes there is, that sector has two merchants who send you to mess with each other. If there's no mission there you have to go back to the depot and talk to someone there to start the chain of missions.

From the 1.20 patch notes from our site:

3. Good Samaritan Trophy bug:

If the player acquires the RYNO V from the Smuggler before finishing all of the Smuggler side-missions, the Smuggler will sometimes disappear, making it impossible to finish his quests. The patch will auto-complete any quests the player missed once you equip the RYNO V – unlocking the trophy.

*This is not to be confused with the Good Samaritan Skill Point which is unlocked by finishing all of the Space Quests in the Korthos sector.

http://www.insomniacgames.com/about/news/latest/1510518

Let me know if you still need help.

Peff

Thrakier said:
There is a green dot on Korthos Beta, but actually I have NO idea what to do there. The planet is "finished"...

There is someone in front of the ship that will give you a quest to destroy some stuff in space (it's not obviously signaled but he has to be there). After that, the depot will have a new mission and after that one another quest on Korthos Beta.

EDIT: Wait, that's Korthos Alpha. Weird.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Agh, I can't believe that I still haven't played this. I passed on it at release and never got around to playing it, but I loved Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty.

I think I'll pick this up along with Sly Collection next week, a nice dose of Sony platforming greatness.

btkadams

DonMigs85 said:
The game is also fairly easy to plat IMO - for me the toughest trophy was for "My Blaster Runs Hot".
this trophy is impossible! i need someone to do it for me lol.

Snuggler said:
Agh, I can't believe that I still haven't played this. I passed on it at release and never got around to playing it, but I loved Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty.

I think I'll pick this up along with Sly Collection next week, a nice dose of Sony platforming greatness.
i thought it was easily the best one on ps3 by far. this game is outstanding.

Thrakier

Peff said:
There is someone in front of the ship that will give you a quest to destroy some stuff in space (it's not obviously signaled but he has to be there). After that, the depot will have a new mission and after that one another quest on Korthos Beta.

EDIT: Wait, that's Korthos Alpha. Weird.

There is no quest. The guys on the deopts don't talk to me anymore. I collected everything and I got the skill point for doing all korthos missions...

Peff

Thrakier said:
There is no quest. The guys on the deopts don't talk to me anymore. I collected everything and I got the skill point for doing all korthos missions...

Did you get the Omnigasket? There must be something missing...

btkadams said:

You can play two-player co-op in My Blaster Runs Hot - it's definitely the easiest way to score this trophy. Also.... WEAKSAUCE ! ;)

MrPliskin

Banned
btkadams said:

My Blaster Runs Hot was one of my favorite moments in ACiT!!! I wonder if I'm still in the top 100 for the leader baord :lol

Team Klimit - Do you know if the leaderbaord for that included both 1p and 2p?

Thrakier

Thrakier said:
I read the report that people finished the game with plat and a green planet...so...no...there are just bugs.

No one? James? Do you guys know about this bug? It's annoying, I want to platin that game. I basically did everything and I just can't get it because of a bug... -_-

DonMigs85

btkadams said:

Well it took me probably over two dozen tries but I got the trophy in the end. It helps to bombard the first wave or two as they come in from the top to get a really high combo.

Karud

I tried hard, but My Blaster Runs Hot was even worse than the hard Batman Arkham Asylum Challenges. I don't get the 10k score. It is my last missing trophy…

Team Klimt said:
From the 1.20 patch notes from our site:

3. Good Samaritan Trophy bug:

If the player acquires the RYNO V from the Smuggler before finishing all of the Smuggler side-missions, the Smuggler will sometimes disappear, making it impossible to finish his quests. The patch will auto-complete any quests the player missed once you equip the RYNO V – unlocking the trophy.

*This is not to be confused with the Good Samaritan Skill Point which is unlocked by finishing all of the Space Quests in the Korthos sector.

http://www.insomniacgames.com/about/news/latest/1510518

Let me know if you still need help.
What if you already started a new game +?

The blaster mini game wasn't hard, got it on my 5th try.

Top Bottom