• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time - The Official Thread

F#A#Oo

Banned
I love the fact that there are no missable trophies in this game...

It seems to be a rare thing for games these days...it almost always turns me away from a game instantly...

I finished the game only have Raretanium(sp) and one last fight with green head guy.

I'll be starting my Hard playthrough after...or doing challenge mode. I think I'll leave the latter till last so I can relax after finishing it on Hard.

I have no idea how Insomniac will be ablew to follow this up tbh...for me this game is probably going to be the highlight of my PS3 playing days in years to come...

I want this game SOO BAD.

R&C Going Commando litteraly converted me from a casual gamer to a hardcore gamer. I really feel like a owe it to Insomniac and myself to buy this game. I just wish i had moneys, hah!

F#A#Oo

Banned
Only got 2 trophies left to do...

Challenge mode completion (I'm at Axiom City) and Hard difficulty completion (will do after finishing Challenge mode).

My Blaster Runs Hot 10k Run trophy was peobably the hardest to achieve...I finally did it with a score of 10200...:lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
F#A#Oo said:
My Blaster Runs Hot 10k Run trophy was peobably the hardest to achieve...I finally did it with a score of 10200...:lol
One of the most memorable moments in Ratchet & Clank history with me and my cousin :lol Loved it.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Oh wow, the production values in this are off the hook! Just amazing. Love the attention to detail on voice acting and the cartoon humor is still present and hilarious

Man, Insomniac should just do a R&C motion picture next, slap 3D on it and take home half a billion bucks, that should give us enough sequels or other platformers, this really is the last of it's kind

evalue

Banned
2d0zz9u.jpg

Great OP. Screen shots are excellent, but this one is epic

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game is really fun so far! I ust wish they let Qwark stay with you always...between Qwark and Zurkon, half of the stuff they say has me laughing...

Bought this last week to keep me over until Heavy Rain. Doing a Challenge Run right now to get the final trophy before platinum with a Mega Rhyno V V6 and Mr. Zurkon V6. I am a fucking god! Insomniac kings of the New Game+ confirmed :D

I seriously think they should quit with the whole Resistance game series and focus more on these kind of over the top action adventures. I'm also very impressed about the game on a technical and especially on a gameplay level. These guys know know how to design a game which doesn't get frustrating, and I don't mean in difficulty (because the game is pretty easy) but in terms of where to find shit and guiding you through levels and making it easier to backtrack and so on. They get infinite points in my book for the ability to skip deja vu puzzle sections in a second playthrough.

TripOpt55

So, what happens if you skip the Clank puzzles? I have beaten the game twice and want to go back and beat it on hard to get the last trophy and I was thinking of skipping them this time. I thought it'd be kind of lame at first to skip them but this is really just a run for the trophy. Do you just have to pay some bolts? I may do it.

Karud

Yipp, you just don't get the bolts. But that doesn't matter at all. Even for the harder puzzle your reward is only about 5000$. In Challenge Mode this numbers can be easily topped by smashing a couple of crades.

Just finished my challenge mode game and only need the “My Blaster Runs Hot" Trophy to achieve Platinum... don't like. :/

TripOpt55

Almost finished my hard run. Should have the platinum this weekend. Hard really isn't too tough either.
Edit: Also cool interview. I hope we get more Ratchet eventually. I love this series.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Got around to finishing this on the weekend and wow, easily my favourite ratchet and clank game that i can remember. I actually couldn't stand a quest for booty, every time i would turn that on i just felt like quitting, took me forever to finish it.

As i was playing this part of me wanted the next R&C to be an open world game. In a similar fashion as red faction, so i could play as a space asshole with a wrench. Not too sure why i felt like the franchise could work that way, maybe it was just the small bugs and one closed feel of the game that made me wish it was more open.

A few bugs, like getting enough zoni for a ship upgrade but not getting told what that upgrade was. I had no idea i had something on L2 until i accidentally pressed it. Just silly things like that.

The space combat was kinda pointless and easy. Not too sure what it's purpose was, cruise around and hold R1 were winning tactics. The small planets were a bit of fun.

The weapons .. ah the weapons. I couldn't really figure out what the point of all the weapons were. For the most part, I used the same 3 and that was all i needed along with the wrench. The saw blades are completely OP btw :D . Once i got that weapon it was all i used.

Overall a great game, enjoyed the shit out of it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just finished! This is the best game Insomniac has ever made. I was so sure they needed to move on after finishing Quest for Booty, but this is such a great game. The fantastic balance of platforming and action is finally where it needs to be, the writing has never been funnier ("The key is learning how to take a joke."), the game finally has a style (those 2d animation pieces are GOLD), and the game looks better than ever. And puzzles! Great puzzles!

Truly a rebirth for Insomniac after that other sequel. This is a FANTASTIC product. Man, Nolan North was freaking awesome in this game :lol

ALSO I start playing this game and Apocalyps3 happens. How freaking apropos? I lost half my trophies though :)

I'm about halfway through and I'm a little bored of it now. I just did the tournaments where I have to survive wave after wave..that was kinda fun, the last thing I remember is having to find another Zoni and therefore being denied access to the planet I need to go to. That annoyed me and I wasn't sure where I needed to go from there and turned it off, not dying to go back.

Ratchet levels are sucking now. Needs much more Clank.

Yoshichan

Althoran said:
is my blaster runs hot easier on the lower difficulty levels?
I'm sure there's no difference.

Althoran

Okay. I thought I might have to go to a lower difficulty level since I'm playing on hard.
Oh well hopefully I will make it.

Yoshichan

Althoran said:
Okay. I thought I might have to go to a lower difficulty level since I'm playing on hard.
Oh well hopefully I will make it.
Play it with a friend, I tried to get the trophy solo for 2 hours before giving up. I brought a friend who had NEVER played the game before and after 10 minutes of training, we managed to get it.

TripOpt55

Three things: I got the platinum over the weekend. Also, I got the figures. They are pretty sweet. And I'd love another Quest for Booty type thing/DLC if that's a possibility. I loved this game.

Corto

I'm currently at the battleplex and couldn't agree more, so far this is one of the funniest, more entertaining video games that I played this generation. I try to use all the weapons just to see what they do and some are just crazy awesome
groovitron glove
I will now spend some time doing the Challenges at the battleplex and I'll get back with the General a little latter... and try to obtain the my blaster runs hot trophy while I'm at it. My Kudos to Insomniac. They have outdone themselves with this one.

Busillis

Neo Member
DualShadow said:
I was hoping to get the General's kick-ass wrench as an unlock-able weapon :(

You cant get it, right?.......right?

You can get different models for the wrench at 700 skill points, I think Azimuth's wrench is included. However the different wrenches are purely cosmetic

Corrupt

jstevenson said:
thanks for the kind words guys. Glad oto know people are still out there playing this! :)
Such a great game, was one of my GOTYs. Just starting up hard mode to get my platinum :D

It must be hard for you guys at Insomniac, fighting the urge to give Quark the main role, purely for the amount of hilarious lines you could give him :lol

Edit: I would totally be interested in PS2 Ratchet ports to PS3.

EagleEyes

I got this from Gamefly last week and have been playing through it and i'm just amazed at how great it is. I beat ToD and thought it was good but imo this is absolutely better in every way. After R2 i was starting to lose a little confidence in Insomniac but this has restored faith. If R3 has this kind of comeback then we are in for a special treat this fall(fingers crossed). Bravo Insomniac.

shwimpy

LTTP as well... and what an amazing game so far. Much more fun to play than ToD. I am in love with the Clank levels and the spaceship part of the game is much improved as well. Oh, and Captain Qwark is funnier than ever. Love the character.

Bebpo

Banned
Is it worth it to stick around after finishing the bronze tournament and do the silver/gold ones before moving on?

Or is it better to comeback later with better weapons/more upgraded weapons and clear them out?

I've been pretty much trying to 100% complete each sector as I go, so that pat of me wants to stick around and do the silver/gold missions. But if time-wise it's faster and more relaxing to just come back later I don't mind continuing the story.

Also there's one moon in the same sector where the ground is on fire? Do I need an upgrade I'll get later? It's the only moon I haven't been able to complete so far.

Bebpo

Banned
Oh and this is my first time posting in this thread, so I'll just say that I am really enjoying this game. So much fun and variety. I definitely like it better than ToD and I played through ToD 3 times!

Massa

Bebpo said:
Is it worth it to stick around after finishing the bronze tournament and do the silver/gold ones before moving on?

Or is it better to comeback later with better weapons/more upgraded weapons and clear them out?

I've been pretty much trying to 100% complete each sector as I go, so that pat of me wants to stick around and do the silver/gold missions. But if time-wise it's faster and more relaxing to just come back later I don't mind continuing the story.

Also there's one moon in the same sector where the ground is on fire? Do I need an upgrade I'll get later? It's the only moon I haven't been able to complete so far.

You need the OmniSoaker for that Lava planet.

As for completion, I'd say it doesn't really matter when you complete the tournaments, just do it when you feel like it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Corrupt said:
Such a great game, was one of my GOTYs. Just starting up hard mode to get my platinum :D

It must be hard for you guys at Insomniac, fighting the urge to give Quark the main role, purely for the amount of hilarious lines you could give him :lol

Edit: I would totally be interested in PS2 Ratchet ports to PS3.

That would be a great QfB type DLC, Qwark as main character. Hilarity ensues.

I am going through my hard playthru now. So after the final boss, can I go back and mop up the small collectibles before starting a challenge playthru? Or should I keep a separate save game? And will I know when the point of no return is?

And what is different about challenge mode? Harder, more enemies, more health?

Peff

Bebpo said:

The best prizes (R.Y.N.O pieces, the collectathon radar, etc) are mostly in the last tournament which should be hard right now, so you can wait, especially untilyou have the blades upgraded.

Bebpo

Banned
Just finished this up. Did most of the stuff and just need the hard mode/challenge mode/my blaster runs hot trophies now. Might be my first platinum if I make the effort!

Fantastic game. Loved every minute of it. The action was really fun with great weapons and the usual weapon leveling gave good incentive to use them all. The puzzles were nicely done and struck the balance of being challenging while not frustrating and possible for normal gamers. And the story was solid with what I think is the best voice acting this gen. It's like watching a Dreamworks CG movie. The optional content with the moons was really fun and the zoni and gold bolts and upgrades gave nice rewards for doing them. The unlockable skins/cheats/art were great and no sections of the game were dull or frustrating. Everything was really fun. 60fps looked great, as did the visuals in most of the worlds.

Really if I had to review this, about the only thing negative I could say is it's a bit easy on normal and while I'm sure hard mode is tougher action, it won't change that the platforming is still easier than the easiest Mario games. That's about my only complaint. Well, and the framerate could have been tightened up on the Torren IV mines. That section is like 30fps most of the time, whereas the other planets tend to hold 60fps. It's a nice looking world! Just kinda stands out that the framerate is noticably lower in it.

Still those are minor faults, and the game is easily an "A" title. I'd put it up with Uncharted 2 and Demon Souls as the best PS3 titles.

And yeah, is challenge mode harder? Since it's essentially new game+ you are really powerful from the start, is the game balanced to that? I think I did Challenge mode in ToD (went through ToD like 3 times), but I can't remember.

ymmv

Banned
jstevenson said:
thanks for the kind words guys. Glad oto know people are still out there playing this! :)

It's a great game, you guys truly deserve all the praise.

BTW I'd love a HD version of all the PS2 Ratchet & Clank games.....

Top Bottom